SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. Minnesota Game Thread

HockeyMom

I do not completely agree with my fellow Sioux's post but you are on a SIOUX board not GPL. That game could have gone either way. Good Luck, and we will probably meet again. The better team will win and hopefully it is us with the revenge!

I did not say anything about the game. I honestly think that UND did not play great hockey last night and the Goofs played well enough to win. But I did say they have the most inmature fans in college hockey. That includes the 60 year old man behind me that did not think the goofs should ever get a penalty and was swearing at me up and down when we scored our first goal.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A proper use of "jersey popping" happend last year when Irmen scored a goal right out of the penalty box against the sioux. He received a nasty tongue lashing from sioux fans (as every visiting offender does and should receive) mainly about choosing to play at Minnesota, and then scored a goal by embarrasing Parise. Holding up the M on his jersey in front of the fans in this case is acceptable, but Saturday night was a little surprising. Maybe Wheeler got nervous about scoring an important goal and went for the jersey on a knee jerk reaction.

Irmen should have stayed a gopher...he fit right in there, the filthy jersey-popping grandstanding gopher that he is.

As I recall, UND didn't miss him as during his time as a gopher. Because of his highly-elevated opinion of himself (that others obviously don't share), Irmen gets to rot away on a wild farm team instead of trying to redeem himself for the most embarrassing loss in the history of college hockey...

Here's hoping the UND and UM meet in Denver next Saturday night. If they do, I'm going to try to fly out there...

Couple take aways from the X last night:

1. Gopher fans remain the most arrogant of all WCHA fans. The entitlement attitude is so sickening. The state of hockey? Please, one need only travel straight north about 7 or 8 hours and you'll see a state or province rather of hockey.

2. The officiating in this league is terrible and favors MN. We did not lose because of officiating, we lost because MN played a very frustrating defensive styled game last night and took us off ours. Lucia deserves props, he clearly studied how you beat the Sioux and executed his plan perfectly. It was just like Wisconsin, Tech, Anchorage and Maine did to us this year. He is an outstanding hockey coach.

3. Gopher fans are whiners. You'd think we were watching girls hockey or basketball given the way that they whine over every bit of contact. If you didn't want to get hit, you should've joined the band.

4. Gopher fans honestly do not see talent if it is not in maroon and gold. I actually heard someone say Toews "really isn't that good." Not that good? He is in the top five nationally in points per game, he lead Canada to a World Junior gold medal last year ( his second). Oh, and how old is he? He is still 18!!!!!

5. Gopher fans do not understand the difference between winning and kicking someone's a$$. 3-2 in OT on a miracle goal ( great hard work by Wheeler to get the shot off) in not an a$$ kicking. Wasn't it RE who said the harder he worked the luckier he got? Wheeler finally played like a first round pick this weekend. First time in his career imo.

6. The X is mariucci 2. The X is a great venue, but it is in the backyard of the rodent fans. You can see why the Gophs have had the success there. the stupid M-I-N-N-E... chant was as loud at the X as it ever is in Mpls. It sickens me.

I did not say anything about the game. I honestly think that UND did not play great hockey last night and the Goofs played well enough to win. But I did say they have the most inmature fans in college hockey. That includes the 60 year old man behind me that did not think the goofs should ever get a penalty and was swearing at me up and down when we scored our first goal.

What about the Goofer Jerk-XFF fan that was doing the "woowoowoowoowoo" that could be plainly heard over the TV broadcast last night. There is no way that was a Fighting Sioux fan doing that...very very very very disrespectful and classless.

I bet the Goofers were mad the game went to OT, what with the Blarney on campus and it being St Patty's and all.

I'd be curious to hear what some of the Sioux players have to say today. I think that this loss, the cheap shot on Duncan, and the overall tone of the game favors UND if they meet again in the NCAAs. Unless, of course, Sheperd is reffing in Denver too.

By the way, Oshie, Toews and especially Chorney all deserve a ton of credit for how they stepped up after the Duncan cheap shot. Too bad Prpich and Greene weren't still on the team to handle that one. The only bad piece of all of that, is that our studs shouldn't have to be protecting too. I would like to unleash the fury of one 6-7 260 pound beast man on them, too bad he doesn't throw that size around alittle more, but I guess when you get a penalty every time you touch someone, because you are bigger and stronger you have to be careful.

By the way, Oshie, Toews and especially Chorney all deserve a ton of credit for how they stepped up after the Duncan cheap shot. Too bad Prpich and Greene weren't still on the team to handle that one. The only bad piece of all of that, is that our studs shouldn't have to be protecting too. I would like to unleash the fury of one 6-7 260 pound beast man on them, too bad he doesn't throw that size around alittle more, but I guess when you get a penalty every time you touch someone, because you are bigger and stronger you have to be careful.

He "neutralized" Wheeler in short order, however.

...Frosted hair? Are you kidding me? I couldn't see a respectable high school program doing this much less the #1 ranked team in college hockey...

Red River High School (a very respectable high school program) has done this every year at the ND state tournament for quite a few years now. Didn't Potulny and Irmen bring this "tradition" to Minnesota?

Red River High School (a very respectable high school program) has done this every year at the ND state tournament for quite a few years now. Didn't Potulny and Irmen bring this "tradition" to Minnesota?

Grant Potulny did it...Ryan and (V)irmen were freshmen..

I have read all the posts on this thread and would like to make some comments/observations:

Watching the game last night on FSN, we were treated to one of the most exciting college hockey games we've ever seen. I would like for it to have had the Sioux winning, but it was great action. At stoppages during the game, I switched to the Notre Dame - Michigan game from Detroit. It was like a morgue with no atmosphere and the tempo of play was shockingly 3 or 4 levels below what we were watching in the Sioux-Gopher contest.

The Sioux played hard, but did probably tire out key players from the numerous penalty kills that they endured. Remember, they successfully killed of all of their short-handed situations!

Their own power play looked pretty good, too, but didn't get as many opportunities to use it.

That all said, the Gophers won the game on a tremendous effort by a young man who has pretty much played in the shadow of most of his teammates. Wheeler had a great tournament and was the Gophers' saving grace in this tournament.

That goal immediately reminded me of Neal Broten's game winner in the 1980 National Championship game against the Sioux. If my memory seves me right, the Sioux had won the WCHA title in a series in the "old Mariucci, " clinched by Dave Christian's empty net slap shot from the top of the crease. Maybe the Sioux can turn the tables and repeat history on the Gophers this year?

I think it would be a shame if they placed any of the WCHA teams in the same region, just because we all know that they (3 at least) could very well reach the Frozen Four if separated from each other.

Hak and the boys should not hang their heads over this loss. Sure, it is important to come out each game and win, but they played hard and just couldn't get into the slot for any rebounds. Give the Gophers credit for following their game plan of not allowing the Sioux to shoot from the slot or get to any rebounds. The number of shots that were blocked or deflected by the Gophers was the main difference in their victory, besides having a bit more jump in their legs.

And as far as blaming Lee on the winning goal: He didn't turn the puck over at the offensive blue line, and he wasn't the 3rd forward that entered the zone to cause 4 Sioux to be trapped up ice. It's a team game, and they lost together. I do believe that the Sioux will come out stronger after playing this game and they should know that they can play and beat any team they may face in the coming weeks.

Thanks to both programs for providing college hockey fans such an entertaining and exciting event for us to watch.

Oh yes, it was hilarious to hear Mozacco continue to call Toews, "Oshie," and then later in the game he even called Okposo, "Oshie." Must be something about that #9 that sends Frank's mind into a tailspin. At least he finally figured out how to say "Vandevelde!"

Irmen should have stayed a gopher...he fit right in there, the filthy jersey-popping grandstanding gopher that he is.

As I recall, UND didn't miss him as during his time as a gopher. Because of his highly-elevated opinion of himself (that others obviously don't share), Irmen gets to rot away on a wild farm team instead of trying to redeem himself for the most embarrassing loss in the history of college hockey...

Here's hoping the UND and UM meet in Denver next Saturday night. If they do, I'm going to try to fly out there...

I can't agree. I would have loved to see Irmen in a Sioux uniform. Although he may have been a thorn in our sides, he averaged at least a point a game in his time playing against the Sioux.

We'll get the gophers when it matters most. For now, we were outplayed and it shows on the shot chart. I think Minnesota almost had a 2:1 advantage over us in this category.

One of the most mentally draining games I have watched from a fan's perspective.

Cudo to MN on playing an outstanding game last night. They made few mistakes and really bottled up the front of the net. I will have to see if I can find time of possession stats because MN seemed to be able to set up on the Sioux zone way more than the other way around.

Even before the game was over, I thought if the Sioux won it was because they survived the game and if MN won it was becuase they deserved to win. I think MN outplayed the Sioux and maybe even outhit the Sioux, that that's about the only thing that bothers me too much.

I wonder how different (or would it be different at all?) if this game was played on Olympic ice? MN is a different team than they were when the Sioux played in Minneapolis, so it might not matter.

MN looks to have found themselves, and they have put together back-to-back strong games. Last night was a better game for them than the Bucky game from what I saw.

Despite being outplayed I thought the Sioux did very well to keep this game tied going into the overtime. They gave themselves and chance and they showed the quality of the team overall. But frankly, how can MN not be considered favorites for the NCAA's considered how they played last night?

Hopefully the boys will have answers and can make another run. Like jk pointed out, the Sioux are still playing very well, and there's reason to look forward. The Sioux didn't tank last night's game. Let's hope they didn't peak with the outstanding performance against St. Cloud on Friday.

Congratulations to the Sioux for a tough fought tournament.

Couple take aways from the X last night:

1. Gopher fans remain the most arrogant of all WCHA fans. The entitlement attitude is so sickening. The state of hockey? Please, one need only travel straight north about 7 or 8 hours and you'll see a state or province rather of hockey.

2. The officiating in this league is terrible and favors MN. We did not lose because of officiating, we lost because MN played a very frustrating defensive styled game last night and took us off ours. Lucia deserves props, he clearly studied how you beat the Sioux and executed his plan perfectly. It was just like Wisconsin, Tech, Anchorage and Maine did to us this year. He is an outstanding hockey coach.

3. Gopher fans are whiners. You'd think we were watching girls hockey or basketball given the way that they whine over every bit of contact. If you didn't want to get hit, you should've joined the band.

4. Gopher fans honestly do not see talent if it is not in maroon and gold. I actually heard someone say Toews "really isn't that good." Not that good? He is in the top five nationally in points per game, he lead Canada to a World Junior gold medal last year ( his second). Oh, and how old is he? He is still 18!!!!!

5. Gopher fans do not understand the difference between winning and kicking someone's a$$. 3-2 in OT on a miracle goal ( great hard work by Wheeler to get the shot off) in not an a$$ kicking. Wasn't it RE who said the harder he worked the luckier he got? Wheeler finally played like a first round pick this weekend. First time in his career imo.

6. The X is mariucci 2. The X is a great venue, but it is in the backyard of the rodent fans. You can see why the Gophs have had the success there. the stupid M-I-N-N-E... chant was as loud at the X as it ever is in Mpls. It sickens me.

Only a Sioux fan is dumb enough to whine about the refs favoring Minnesota and then follow it up by asserting that Gopher fans are whiners. God you're dumb.

Now I see why GPL won't allow new registrations at this time of the year.

It makes the moderators job much easier. :D

Fun game last night, of course it's easier to say that when your team wins. My fear is MN may have angered the beast....epscially if the boys meet again soon.

It makes the moderators job much easier. :D

On the flip side, I'd much rather have to delete one troll than turn away new members at the time of peak interest. Though it sucks to have 1 troll who needed to be banned, I'm sure glad I didn't turn away the other 32 new registrants in the last 7 days!

On the flip side, I'd much rather have to delete one troll than turn away new members at the time of peak interest. Though it sucks to have 1 troll who needed to be banned, I'm sure glad I didn't turn away the other 32 new registrants in the last 7 days!

See, for Sioux fans, the glass is half full :D . . . while it's half empty for Gopher fans . . . :D

I agree. Trolls do need to be eliminated, but other teams fans should be allowed to log on if they have something insightful to say. Just because they're not Sioux fans, doesn't mean they can't add to the discussion, or defend their teams. It seems obvious that they should realize they're visiting another teams' fan base, and should use tact when adding comments.

Fully understand....Jup only does it during the NCAAs.

A proper use of "jersey popping" happend last year when Irmen scored a goal right out of the penalty box against the sioux. He received a nasty tongue lashing from sioux fans (as every visiting offender does and should receive) mainly about choosing to play at Minnesota, and then scored a goal by embarrasing Parise. Holding up the M on his jersey in front of the fans in this case is acceptable, but Saturday night was a little surprising. Maybe Wheeler got nervous about scoring an important goal and went for the jersey on a knee jerk reaction.

I don't know, if you heard the Wheeler interview after the game, he talked about "playing for the 'M,'" having grown up in Minneapolis, and trying to live up to the tradition. I think he did that more out of excitement about having FINALLY had a big series for his team. Drafted by NHL right out of high school, he certainly hadn't played like a draft pick to that point.

Anyway, I'm new to the board, having been a long-time "lerker," and finally wanting to join the discussion, and excitement about Sioux hockey! The boys certainly have nothing to hang their heads about, in fact, a REALLY close loss like this may give them a good wake-up call right before NCAA begins. I think they took the Gophers a little too lightly last night, since EVERYONE said the same thing, repeatedly, that NO WAY could the Gophers win the game. Well, I hope the sleeping giant is now awakened, and ready to kick some butt in the playoffs! One way or another, these 2 teams will meet again (God, PLEASE make it in the NCAA finals, NOT some regional game!!!!!)

I hate to see posts rip on the officials. This was a HARD fought game, very physical, between 2 bitter rivals, and I'D hate to be calling the game! In this particular game, with the Gophers going 0-for-8 on PP, and Sioux going 2-for-5, and the officials waving off a potential 3rd goal for MN (which would have them up 3-1 at that point), I felt pretty good about our treatment at Xcel (and I was there watching the game, surrounded by Gopher fans!), which isn't always the case (I myself usually rip pretty easily on the striped dudes!)

One other point: It's fine to see a "nasty tongue lashing from sioux fans (as every visiting offender does and should receive) mainly about choosing to play at Minnesota," but my WCHA FF book lists EIGHT Sioux players coming from MN, including Finley, Chorney, Oshie, Forney, Fabian, Lee Foyt and VandeVelde. Only THREE players come from ND. So I guess that if we lose the occasional Irmen or Potulny, as long as we keep getting the likes of Oshie and Parise, I'll take that tradeoff ANY day! Keep growing and training those MN boys, and sending them west to us!!!!!

buckysieve- Normally I don't respond to you because most of your posts are basically picking apart other posts only for statements that you find derisive so that you can find ways to be derisive right back (I think the dictionary calls that "petty"). Anyways, Gopher fans don't like physical games, which is because the Gophers generally don't. In any case, it only stands to reason that a big hit by a non-Gopher player on a Gopher player would result in boos and "That should be called." The only thing that was wrong in the post you quoted was the implication that all Gopher fans are whiners. They aren't. A lot are. Just like there are a lot of arrogant ones who can't see quality in other hockey programs unless they are forced to (like when the Gophers are thoroughly trounced). The Sioux lost last night on a fluke goal scored by a player who finally showed the talent that Gretzky saw in him. It only took the better part of 2 seasons at the U to show up. Good for him.

nicknack- I think you got that mixed up. Irman's jersey pop was called "classlessness" on the part of him. I'm much more inclined to dismiss Wheeler's jersey pop because of the circumstances and the location in which he did it. You don't go to someone else's place and act in a manner that isn't sportsmanlike. It would be like going over to your boss' house for dinner and bragging about how much better you can cook than the boss can. It just isn't something you do. Wheeler's jersey pop, though I don't like it, was done in front of a buch of Gopher fans near the boards as he went to the boards to acknowledge those fans. It wasn't at center ice or in the middle of the ice. And it wasn't a very big jersey pop. I don't like it but I won't make it a big deal. Irman's jersey pop was classless. PERIOD.