SiouxSports.com Forum

How many of you are going?

JESUS,family,rutgers

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrite, lots of veteran Final Five-goers out there.... Any of you wanna help out some first timers with some tips on parking, restaurants, what do between games, etc?? That would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

SIOUX YEAH YEAH!!!

Park further away and walk the few blocks. Should be a nice day and the rates are a little cheaper. There are garages everywhere. Most bars/restaurants are on 7th I believe (not great on actual street names there). It's the road in front of Xcel and parallel to 35E. That's where you'll find places like Tom Reid's sports bar. There's a bigger place on the corner nearer the Xcel. Serves some big food portions, but the name escapes me. Many places will be packed so get there early.

The Savoy Inn is a must, but it's on the other side of downtown St. Paul where highway 52 ends. Great pizza. All the meats are homemade. Expect to spend a lot of time waiting for a table.

You all will want to skip the Alumni deal at Great Waters and head over to Patrick McGoverns....by far a better pre-game atmosphere

Have gone to that the last couple of years. Kind of boring. Where and what is Patrick McGoverns?

Mr. Siouxmama and I will be 2 of the 8 in section 119 with Sioux-cia.

PCM, we can arrange for all of us to have a beer for you. :lol:

New concept...beer pipeline! :)

Alrite, lots of veteran Final Five-goers out there.... Any of you wanna help out some first timers with some tips on parking, restaurants, what do between games, etc?? That would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

SIOUX YEAH YEAH!!!

You can find places to park around the arena if you're willing to pay a few buck, IF you are early enough. Hard to say what early enough has to be, though. We park in the neighborhood but you have to hoof it many blocks, but it saves on parking $.

There are bars in the vacinity but between games they get super loaded. If you like that, great. If not, you can do one of two things. You can drive somewhere between games to find a beer and a bite, or you walk a little farther to find an out of the way place that isn't so crowded.

My crew doesn't care to be packed in to a place close by. In the past we've driven to somewhere else between games, but you risk losing your parking spot, and it can be tough to get somewhere and back on time for the night game, and not feel like you're rushing around.

Last year it worked pretty good for us to walk over to Great Waters Brewery for the alumni party. It's not quite the exuberant atmosphere but it's not bad, and there's beer and food. You pay a cover to enter too, so that's the one downer. But for us that works out very well.

If you look up the Xcel Center on the internet you should be able to find parking locations on their website. You can then do a search for St. Paul restaurants/bars on the net to get an idea of some likely spots, and where they are. That's what we've done in the past and just chosen this or that place and tried it out.

Have gone to that the last couple of years. Kind of boring. Where and what is Patrick McGoverns?

McGovern's is only a couple blocks west on 7th. Right across from Cossetta's. It will be packed, but pregame isn't as bad as between games. Then it gets to be too much for me.

Park further away and walk the few blocks. Should be a nice day and the rates are a little cheaper. There are garages everywhere. Most bars/restaurants are on 7th I believe (not great on actual street names there). It's the road in front of Xcel and parallel to 35E. That's where you'll find places like Tom Reid's sports bar. There's a bigger place on the corner nearer the Xcel. Serves some big food portions, but the name escapes me. Many places will be packed so get there early.

The Savoy Inn is a must, but it's on the other side of downtown St. Paul where highway 52 ends. Great pizza. All the meats are homemade. Expect to spend a lot of time waiting for a table.

I am going again this year. Third year in a row! Taking a day off school to go.

The Red Savoy is by far the best pizza ever! I love that place.

We'll all be there for the first time this year. :) I'll be wearing my game worn Radke jersey. (I'm thinking of wearing it to work tomorrow, just because I'm so excited to go). We're in the cheap seats.

I'm pretty sure that I've bought enough beers on game threads, that I shouldn't have to buy any beer down there. :lol:

LET'S GO SIOUX!

SIOUX YEAH YEAH!!!

Consider Alary's off of 7th and Jackson. Plenty of surface and ramp parking, multiple shuttles running back and forth to the X, cheap booze, and good times!

Well Pat McGoverns is pretty good atmosphere they have an upstairs and downstairs. Alary's on 7th St has a shuttle to the games at leat they did last year.

We usually party at my house before and after games. It's easy to get a beer and the food is way cheeper. I am lucky I only live 3 miles from the X. Christos (greek) and Matty B's have lunch buffets. Buca's is great family style dining (italian) way West 7th Street near where Hwy 5 and Hwy 55 meet. Chico Chica and the Downtowner Woodfire grill both have great sit down food. And the Margaritas at Chico Chica are awesome. I also have a special love for Golden's Deli-great soups and sandwhiches, pizza and other goodies they bake the bread right there. They are on 4th and Wall. Only open til 2:30pm.

Well Pat McGoverns is pretty good atmosphere they have an upstairs and downstairs. Alary's on 7th St has a shuttle to the games at leat they did last year.

We usually party at my house before and after games. It's easy to get a beer and the food is way cheeper. I am lucky I only live 3 miles from the X. Christos (greek) and Matty B's have lunch buffets. Buca's is great family style dining (italian) way West 7th Street near where Hwy 5 and Hwy 55 meet. Chico Chica and the Downtowner Woodfire grill both have great sit down food. And the Margaritas at Chico Chica are awesome. I also have a special love for Golden's Deli-great soups and sandwhiches, pizza and other goodies they bake the bread right there. They are on 4th and Wall. Only open til 2:30pm.

Glad to hear all of you are coming to the Twin Cities. Win, lose or draw I hope you have a great time. I have lived here for many years, frequent participant at Wild games and Final 5. A couple of thoughts and Recs: the bars on 7th St will be jam packed. The staffs try their best, but the service will not be great. They are walking distance, however. For dinner go to Mancini's, you will not get a better steak in the metro area. And, i think you will like the supper club atmosphere. Credit those bartenders with the ability to pour a drink. Alary's is a great place. They validate parking, which is plentiful and they provide a shuttle service. Not really suitable for kids. The later in the day it gets, to tougher it is to see the staff's clothes. I don't have any problem with it, but you may.

I live in downtown Mpls. If your staying there take a cab or a car service. Cab is about $25, while a car service will probably do it for $20. If you are staying outside of downtown St. Paul and plan on drinking, this is your best bet. Given the weekend it falls on the cops will be out. Tust me, don't make that mistake.

Consider Alary's off of 7th and Jackson. Plenty of surface and ramp parking, multiple shuttles running back and forth to the X, cheap booze, and good times!

If you hate cops or the Chicago Bears, don't go to Alary's. Also, try to catch the shuttle BEFORE it gets to the X if you are planning on going to Alary's between games. It'll be full by the time it gets to the arena.

McGoverns is an Irish type pub...lots of Sioux faithful there every year. Given the time of year it is a happening place that weekend.

I will be there for three of the games.

There will be two of us at the Friday afternoon game sitting in the club seats.

Saturday there will be three of us, club seats for the 3rd place game and upper level for the championship.

Thanks to everyone that is posting tips for the newbies like myself...I have been to Denver and Anchorage away games but this will be my first Final Five. Unbelievably excited!

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the buses will be free on Saturday to keep people from driving drunk.