SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

petey23

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just found this, i know this doesnt mean they take the top 5 but its a joke if they take any if they dont deserve to be a finalist..

http://www.hobeybaker.com/voting/

Congratulations to Jeff Jakaitis, Lake Superior State University, the winner of the fan vote in phase I of Vote For Hobey. The top five finishers of the fan vote are listed below. The official top ten finalists, as selected by the 59 division I coaches and the fans, will be announced on March 15 at the WCHA Awards Banquet in St. Paul, MN.

Vote For Hobey

its announced the friday at the frozen 4 so i assume up to the ncaa tourney i would guess as the finalists have not yet been announced

They should have their 10 finalists and they ussually announce them at each game during the final five ussually between periods.

A poster on GPL who implies he has some inside info says the WCHA has 2 of the top 10 finalists. He doesn't say who they are.

I have to question that. The vote is suppose to be confidential right now.

Not that any of this means anything... but will add some fuel to the discussion. I agree with AZSIOUX that Duncan got no love on the "Tuesday at the Rinks" chat, which is surprising even if it was all east coast a-holes doing the chat. He is one of the best hockey players in the country, and these "experts" are supposed to be knowledgable about all of college hockey. I do like the fact that they talked a little about the Ehn kid from Air Force. I fully agreed with the comments in reguards to his other commitments, being an Air Force academy student, but then they turned right around and said it comes down to the hockey skills and stats. They all agreed that the voters really don't know anything about the candidates off the ice, so really it comes down to the best college hockey player and thats it, and even with my green glasses off, if Duncan is not one of the three finalists, it will be a disgrace. On the flip side, INCH had Duncs at the top of their Hobey Watch for the second week in a row, which is nice to see. At least it gives him some publicity out east. Oh well, I guess we will all have to wait and find out like the rest of the nation. GO SIOUX!! :silly:

Not that any of this means anything... but will add some fuel to the discussion. I agree with AZSIOUX that Duncan got no love on the "Tuesday at the Rinks" chat, which is surprising even if it was all east coast a-holes doing the chat. He is one of the best hockey players in the country, and these "experts" are supposed to be knowledgable about all of college hockey. I do like the fact that they talked a little about the Ehn kid from Air Force. I fully agreed with the comments in reguards to his other commitments, being an Air Force academy student, but then they turned right around and said it comes down to the hockey skills and stats. They all agreed that the voters really don't know anything about the candidates off the ice, so really it comes down to the best college hockey player and thats it, and even with my green glasses off, if Duncan is not one of the three finalists, it will be a disgrace. On the flip side, INCH had Duncs at the top of their Hobey Watch for the second week in a row, which is nice to see. At least it gives him some publicity out east. Oh well, I guess we will all have to wait and find out like the rest of the nation. GO SIOUX!! :lol:

Seems to me that the best player in the far and away best conference has got to be a favorite... :silly:

Which is why I think Duncs has no chance. He's no senior and he didn't break any records.

This isn't the past and much of the talent that would have put up the big Hobey type numbers of the past have already bolted for the Pros. It will be a sad day for the NCAA if the Hobey is awarded to a one dimensional 7.5C NHL prospect that plays against the much weaker opponents of the CCHA. Curry and Goepfert are the only contenders whose performances are worthy of comparison to Dunc's performance.

DUNCS still top on INCH

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/H...racker_0526.htm

Ryan Duncan

North Dakota

Soph. | Forward

Last Week: Had one assist as North Dakota got a tie and win at St. Cloud State to finish third in the WCHA.

The Buzz: The Fighting Sioux scored nine goals against St. Cloud State last weekend, and all Duncan contributed was

one assist. Facing Minnesota State may rejuvenate Duncan

Which reminds me: Parise was robbed (what was Junior's team's record vs. Parise's team that year?).

The more important thing was that Parise's +/- was much much higher than Lessards. His points per game were higher. He missed a few games due to the World Junior tournament that year. I seem to remember that both he and his team did fairly well that year. (MVP and Gold Medal.)

So although you shouldn't necessarily give a player credit for his WJ performance you shouldn't eff him over for it either.

Parise was robbed.

The more important thing was that Parise's +/- was much much higher than Lessards. His points per game were higher. He missed a few games due to the World Junior tournament that year. I seem to remember that both he and his team did fairly well that year. (MVP and Gold Medal.)

So although you shouldn't necessarily give a player credit for his WJ performance you shouldn't eff him over for it either.

Parise was robbed.

parise was great but if anyone was robbed it was PANZER for sure...

Parise was robbed.

Agree 100%. Lessard had a great season, and I'm not saying he wasn't worthy of the award. However, this is supposedly an award given to the best college hockey player in the country, and Zach was arguably the best player in college hockey that year (and possibly his freshman year as well). Looking outside of stats, Parise played both ends of the ice equally as hard. Very few of his teammates or opponents, if any, would outwork the kid on the ice. Where the WJ's may have taken away from his stats, he was the best college hockey player that year.