SiouxSports.com Forum

why can't the other guys score ?

Fetch

If I were Hak (in practices) I'd make all the other lines bring the puck up against the Dot line & our better D men until they score consistently(kinda like Herbies) forget the cycling & fancy passing - just crash the net & hammer it in

If I were Hak (in practices) I'd make all the other lines bring the puck up against the Dot line & our better D men until they score consistently(kinda like Herbies) forget the cycling & fancy passing - just crash the net & hammer it in

well, the other guys do score. they are just WAY overshadowed by the DOT line. but i do agree that it would be nice to see a little more out of some of the guys(in terms of goals). but the others do score more than people think.

I think there is a big drop down in talent from Oshie, Towes Duncan to even most of the rest of the guys on the team. For instance Porter is a talented guy but he is more of a checker and mucker, his role really isn't scoring. I am hoping Zajac is half as talented as his brother, he has shown a few glimpses of greatness but I don't know. Watkins has gotten better this season but he is more a role player that scores as a bonus and checks first. Kozek is suppose to be in the first tier along with Forney but he hasn't shown the offensive spark. This year UND has two lines it can count on. IF the D.O.T. line gets shut down the Sioux are going to be in trouble. I am hoping next season Kozek and Watkins start burying pucks.

I think there is a big drop down in talent from Oshie, Towes Duncan to even most of the rest of the guys on the team. For instance Porter is a talented guy but he is more of a checker and mucker, his role really isn't scoring. I am hoping Zajac is half as talented as his brother, he has shown a few glimpses of greatness but I don't know. Watkins has gotten better this season but he is more a role player that scores as a bonus and checks first. Kozek is suppose to be in the first tier along with Forney but he hasn't shown the offensive spark. This year UND has two lines it can count on. IF the D.O.T. line gets shut down the Sioux are going to be in trouble. I am hoping next season Kozek and Watkins start burying pucks.

Similar to Goon,

I think the DOT's dominance really has clouded the opinions of the other lines. I don't think the other lines are that bad, just the DOT line is that good.

Kozek is a mystery to me and I'm quite concerned about him. Why can't he score? I've seen his wrist shot and it's unbelievable. Is he somehow too concerned with the other things on the ice? Unsure of when to shoot and when to pass? I don't know! Honestly, the other parts of his game are pretty solid, but for the life of me I can't figure out why his wrist shot isn't as successful as it could be.

Porter is fast and has a quick shot, but Goon's right, he's more of a grinder. Seems that Watkins is becoming a Porter clone as well.

I'm not concerned with Forney or Vandevelde. They're just freshmen and could just need more time to develop (though VV's play hasn't exactly been poor).

When Oshie and Toews leave, Duncan and Kozek are going to be key members of the offense. I'm not worried about Duncan, but I do sure hope that Kozek can step up.

I suspect that players will continue to step up. In Kozek's case I think he is acting more as a checking line player, which he is doing well. At some point the flashes we have seen will translate to results on the scoreboard. I also think that one of two things will happen with Forney (who does have raw talent). He is either going to go through one of the most brutal off season regiments in UND history and come back a great player OR he will fade into oblivion as a bust.

Kozek has been one of the disappointments this year. Last year at this time, everyone on here (including me) was saying that once Kozek starts getting more ice time, he'll start playing more consistently and scoring more often. As RW77 mentioned, the kid has a heck of a shot. I don't know if I go with the theory that he's trying to play more of the role of a checker, though at times, it does appear that way. If that's the case, he needs to realize (or someone else has to tell him) that no team can win it all with one scoring line. Maybe he doesn't have the right linemates for him to do that. I know I had high aspirations for him this year, but he definitely hasn't come close.

i think VV needs to improve. Also forney should of went down to the USHL and drank more or somtin cuz he doesnt impress me to drink another keystone. (as im getting sleepy)

one thing to remember with Forney is that he still has a banged-up shoulder. This is probably why he has been as great as we all thought he was going to be. Really, I am no that worried about him yet.

one thing to remember with Forney is that he still has a banged-up shoulder. This is probably why he has been as great as we all thought he was going to be. Really, I am no that worried about him yet.

And that has me concerned. Over the past 12 months, Forney has been one injury after another. It started in the MN State Hockey tournament. He has had at least three significant injuries in that time period. Cause for concern.

Kozek has been one of the disappointments this year. Last year at this time, everyone on here (including me) was saying that once Kozek starts getting more ice time, he'll start playing more consistently and scoring more often. As RW77 mentioned, the kid has a heck of a shot. I don't know if I go with the theory that he's trying to play more of the role of a checker, though at times, it does appear that way. If that's the case, he needs to realize (or someone else has to tell him) that no team can win it all with one scoring line. Maybe he doesn't have the right linemates for him to do that. I know I had high aspirations for him this year, but he definitely hasn't come close.

If there is a part of his game that I really like is Kozek can hit and he is not very big. I am holding out hope that he is going to score in bunchs next season if he gets the chance. It will depend on who goes and what kind of top end talent UND gets in the off season.

I think one other thing that gets forgotten is that most of us were expecting guys like Brady Murray and Spirko to be on this team. Unfortunately, they were early defections and other recruits had to be brought in, perhaps before their time. If Spirko and Murray were on this team the role players that we are now expecting to score would probably be looked upon more faborably as doing their job instead of being under the microscope for their lack of point production.

I'm with the rest of you on Kozek, though. Something's just not clicking for him.

If there is a part of his game that I really like is Kozek can hit and he is not very big. I am holding out hope that he is going to score in bunchs next season if he gets the chance. It will depend on who goes and what kind of top end talent UND gets in the off season.

I wonder what would happen if Duncan and Kozek were put on a line together with a good center that can pass like VV? Of course, I wouldn't experiment with that right now, but next season, that would be worth investigating.

I wonder what would happen if Duncan and Kozek were put on a line together with a good center that can pass like VV? Of course, I wouldn't experiment with that right now, but next season, that would be worth investigating.

I was wondering the same thing earlier when I posted. It should be interesting to see how Hak experiments next season. Of course, we still have hockey to focus on this year, and this will probably be highly revisited in the summer months.

I just wish there was more solid checking from this team. It's there in spurts but they need to hit consistently. I'm not talking retaliation checking either. I mean knock the guy on his assets when going for the puck instead of just shoving him to the side. I guess I'm old school Sioux hockey but I think the team would benefit from more physicality. It sure worked in the olden' days.

I think Kozek played on one of the top lines earlier this season. I know he was in the Friday night game at Mankato, and the next night was rightfully demoted to a lower line because he just didn't do anything to help his line. Next night he had some time and space and potted 2 pucks. I like Kozek and I too was thinking this was going to be a big year for him, but with my limited hockey knowledge, it seems to me he just doesn't seem to do much with the puck when he has it. He can shoot and he can hit but doesn't seem to get himself into open space where he can receive a pass or control and pass the puck in a way that helps his linemates very much.

Although Forney has a ton of talent, he's not exactly tough. He came out of a state tourney game and watched the game from the tunnel. You'd think it would really take a lot to keep you from a game you've dreamt about.

I do still have high hopes for him but I've seen him compared to Oshie in terms of expectations this year and IMO, Forney wasn't even close to the high school player that Oshie was.

well, the other guys do score. they are just WAY overshadowed by the DOT line. but i do agree that it would be nice to see a little more out of some of the guys(in terms of goals). but the others do score more than people think.

Really? Friday night Osh, Toews and Duncs accounted for all nine pts. scored. The rest of the team managed a big old goose egg. How much more can you expect out of DOT, it is a TEAM, that means in all aspects of the game. Those other guys need to contribute, period, no excuses.

I think that this line is accounting for something like half of the scoring. Of course there are only four lines so that would mean that they are scoring twice as often as they otherwise would.

But they also are given all of the premium chances to score (first power play) plus the most ice time. Besides they probably are given a bit more leeway in defensive assignments due to their scoring skill.

Of course they also are just plain better than the rest of the guys.

Don't forget that scoring is down league wide by a wide margin. Maybe the DOT line is the only ones not seeing that?

Don't get me wrong, I see problems next year if something doesn't change.

I just checked, the DOT line has scored about 50 goals and the rest of the forwards have scored about 45.

Really? Friday night Osh, Toews and Duncs accounted for all nine pts. scored. The rest of the team managed a big old goose egg. How much more can you expect out of DOT, it is a TEAM, that means in all aspects of the game. Those other guys need to contribute, period, no excuses.

well, if you say it's a team, maybe they should let the other players get some more ice time. Some of them are only on the ice for about 10 seconds, so how can they contribute.

well, if you say it's a team, maybe they should let the other players get some more ice time. Some of them are only on the ice for about 10 seconds, so how can they contribute.

If they're only on the ice for 10 seconds, it's likely for a reason. This isn't pee-wee hockey where everyone gets equal time.

And that has me concerned. Over the past 12 months, Forney has been one injury after another. It started in the MN State Hockey tournament. He has had at least three significant injuries in that time period. Cause for concern.

I would speculate the current injury to be the same injury as the 2006 state tourney.

Breaking his leg/ankle by getting hit by a puck is a fluke.

________________________________________________________________________________

RE: the "10 second complainer"

Are you serious? It's nearly freaking March and you're complaining about your brother's (or kid's) ice time? :D:D:D

You're right about one thing... it's a TEAM. Leave your egos at the door. :lol:

Did you have #22 and #2 in mind for this drill ? :D:D sorry I couldn't resist :D

I just wish there was more solid checking from this team. It's there in spurts but they need to hit consistently. I'm not talking retaliation checking either. I mean knock the guy on his assets when going for the puck instead of just shoving him to the side. I guess I'm old school Sioux hockey but I think the team would benefit from more physicality. It sure worked in the olden' days.

I agree totally sioux-cia ....... Fighitng Sioux hockey has always been at it's best when ....... we take the body !!!! :D