SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Toews, Bina trouble

proudsioux

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admitted earlier in this thread to getting an MIP in my youth.

I hereby challenge the editorial staff of the Dakota Student to step up and, for the record, tell us if any of them, and specifically whom, have ever consumed alcohol or been in a bar as a minor.

Heal thy self oh DS editorial board.

That DS bit doesn't make sense. A longer leash... last time I checked there weren't any ramifications when the typical non-athlete student gets a B misdemeanor. I wasn't at all optomistic about either Oshie or Toews coming back next year, but I think this seals the deal. Their own newspaper calling them out for something that 95% of the paper's target audience has done. Someone should dig into the editor's past and expose them for underaged drinking. Beyond reporting the facts of this "story" this is completely uncalled for.

OK here is my thing about this. I have read almost this whole thread and I must agree with someof the people on here, who cares. This is a none story. The Dakota Student wants the atheletes held to a higher standard, why? Why not the same standard that eveyone else is held to. I do think Oshie and Toews are going to play really hard this weekend to show that this did not effect them and that they are up for the task of making a tournament run. Just my opinion.

What about the other students that were in the bar. Their names were in the GFH, but the Dakota Student doesn't mention them. Because they are not student athletes, dont they have to be held accountable? They must have a "longer leash" than student athletes. :lol:

I brought that up in a comment to this article that also appeared in the DS today.

http://media.www.dakotastudent.com/media/s...gepublisher.com

One thing I also noticed is that the first thing in the article says "LAST SUNDAY", which reading in the context of when the DS comes out would mean last Sunday as in the 4th. Though I understand that they printed the paper on Sunday and technically last Sunday then was the Sunday that it happened. I just found it weird that they wouldn't put it in the context that their readers would be reading it.

I just read that. Let them pay their fines and move on, they've gone through enough public embarassment. That's already more than any other student has to go through when they do something comparable.

They get much more acclaim than the average UND student, and rightfully so, because of their out-of-classroom accolades. But, in a situation like this, where they get caught doing something less than admirable outside of the classroom, don

no, not if we are suppose to treat them like everyone else.

Who says they are supposed to be treated like everyone else? Where in the world is this the case? What sport, city? Tabloids are a classic example. Complaining about this makes people sound like Lindsay Lohan.

Maybe it's not fair, but I don't think it's fair that I can't shoot the puck 100mph. If I could, then I would expect to have more eyes on me than normal.

...But I do think this thread, and this topic has definitely run its course. The players have work to do.

you can lose your license for a yr - But I didn't know that was probation ? (I have never had more than a speeding ticket & that was nearly 10 yrs ago)

My guess is that it isn't technically probation, but rather that when he was sentenced on his DUI, he had jail time or fines "suspended" for a period of time(likely 1 year) under certain conditions, which would more than likely have included no further law violations.

So, the court now would have the option to revoke that suspended sentence and make him sit the time. The suspended sentence may not even be jail time, but fines or fees assessed by the court, which in the case of a 1st offense DUI, is more likely.

How does the DS editorial reconcile with ...

NOISE ORDINANCE: Students fight City Hall today

(Face it, the 'noise' ordinance is a loud party ordinance.)

So they can't see how a UND hockey player gets butsted but they turn around basically and say how dare the city of Grand Forks punish people disturbing the peace. I don't have a problem with the Party ordinace. Then again I am not in college anymore either :lol:

They get much more acclaim than the average UND student, and rightfully so, because of their out-of-classroom accolades. But, in a situation like this, where they get caught doing something less than admirable outside of the classroom, don

They should get the same punishment the gophers got last year. The gophers were caught underagedrinking at Blarney's for free and giving the owners tickets to gopher games. I believe the owner is a gopher booster, which would be an ncaa violation. I know the owner got in trouble, but I can't remember what punishment the players got. If someone can enlighten me, then I say the Sioux players should get the same treatment.

They should get the same punishment the gophers got last year. The gophers were caught underagedrinking at Blarney's for free and giving the owners tickets to gopher games. I believe the owner is a gopher booster, which would be an ncaa violation. I know the owner got in trouble, but I can't remember what punishment the players got. If someone can enlighten me, then I say the Sioux players should get the same treatment.

The only publicly known on ice punishment from "Blarney's" was Briggs getting suspended for three games at the beginning of this season, however they should get whatever punishment Hakstol sees fit. The case really has nothing to do with the Gophers.

was it underage drinking?? thought it was just being a minor at a bar? i may have missed something, just going on what i read :lol: its fun sitting in bars underage and not drinking :)

it is what it is, they are high profile athletes and lets not hear they should be treated like everyone else, please stop, should they? YES? but lets e realistic just for a minute and take off the green sioux hockey goggles, they wont and never will being high hockey profile players. its how our society is..simple

was it underage drinking?? thought it was just being a minor at a bar? i may have missed something, just going on what i read :) its fun sitting in bars underage and not drinking :(

it is what it is, they are high profile athletes and lets not hear they should be treated like everyone else, please stop, should they? YES? but lets e realistic just for a minute and take off the green sioux hockey goggles, they wont and never will being high hockey profile players. its how our society is..simple

At least they aren't astronauts! :lol:

Jesus man, this post hasn't been put to bed yet. We will all find out soon enough what the punishment for all three will be.

HEY!!! Were talking about astronauts here. :)

HockeyMom, you were going to look up more about the guy in Ohio. :lol:

*google is your friend*

Jesus man, this post hasn't been put to bed yet. We will all find out soon enough what the punishment for all three will be.

Actually we are talking about other things right now, astronauts in love triangles, hum.

But I will help you out, Bina is the only question mark. The other two will be in Uniform this weekend. Hak isn't dumb this has been taken care of, I am sure it sucked to be these two.

Also, he isn't stupid jepordize the teams playoff hopes just because some in the media have made a big deal out of nothing, and to make a few people feel good about themselves because they are sitting up there on the moral highground. He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Personally I can't wait till one of the DU players screw up then goon's world is going to have a bad boyz section. :):lol:

So mark me up as being in the crowd as saying I doubt he is going to sit these kids for a stupid minor mistake. Robbie might be in a little trouble, but if I was the coach I am not sitting him until I see what his punishment is going to be. The problem with the Duke Lacross team was the admin over reacted and then we find out the DA cooked the evidence and had no case. A coach lost his job over nothing. In this country your innocent until proven guilty. Besides who cares what the Dakota Stupid thinks in this case?

My best guess? UND will wait to rule on Bina until the court case is settled, which could be until after the season. And Toews and Oshie, who were the minors on the premises? Hakstol told local media he won't comment until Wednesday. However, he was quoted in the Winnipeg media a few days ago as saying that Toews won't face any further punishment. Now, unless he was misquoted (doubtful) or unless he changes his mind (even more doubtful) it looks as though both will be skating this weekend

This is from Bakken's Blog.