SiouxSports.com Forum

"sieve"

Fetch

Say what?

From the So Sioux Me Dept.: There's nothing wrong with a little good-natured ribbing of the opposing goalie after he allows a goal, right? With that in mind, INCH's double-secret Mariucci Cam caught North Dakota athletic director Tom Buning directing the traditional "sieve" chant (complete with Bob Dole-esque, right-handed, pen-gripping, pointing gesture) at a Minnesota netminder. Memo to Gophers and Sioux fans: We're just the messenger. Now talk amongst yourselves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2746931

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never done this chant - But I never related it to a Tomahawk chop either - More just a point at the goalie ;)

The first time I did the sieve chant was at a Sioux/Gopher game at the Final 5. (Yes, it felt good :angry: ) Now my 6 year old son looks at me until I do it along with him. :lol:

For the record, we can rule out Tomahawk Chop, because I've been watching Sioux hockey for 30+ years and never seen or heard it. (And yes, I'd like it to stay that way.)

Trouble is, there are already anti-nickname proponents who tell people that Sioux fans do the tomahawk chop when what they're really doing is the sieve cheer. Don't think that they won't hesitate to use the picture of Buning while claiming that he's doing the tomahawk chop, citing INCH as a source.

Trouble is, there are already anti-nickname proponents who tell people that Sioux fans do the tomahawk chop when what they're really doing is the sieve cheer. Don't think that they won't hesitate to use the picture of Buning while claiming that he's doing the tomahawk chop, citing INCH as a source.

Wasn't there already an anti-nickname person last year that saw video of the sieve chant and posted somewhere on the web/wrote a letter to the editor about the tomahawk chop at Sioux games?

I just clicked on the link again and the picture changed to one of phil and no longer the one of Buning. That is sad it was a good picture. Seriously, Tom is an awesome guy and I can easily see why everyone who meets him likes him.

I just clicked on it and got the one of Buning. Saved it too! ;)

We partied with the AD and his wife last year at the Final Five. They are both lots of fun!!! Real people, not like the hoity toidies that usually are in administrative positions. What's wrong with having fun when your team is winning? Sitting on your hands and acting like that's beneath you because you're an AD, is NOT what being a sports fan is all about!!!!

Geeze Louise lighten up all of you who are worried about this. The only ones who see this as a problem are Goofy fans.

We partied with the AD and his wife last year at the Final Five. They are both lots of fun!!! Real people, not like the hoity toidies that usually are in administrative positions. What's wrong with having fun when your team is winning? Sitting on your hands and acting like that's beneath you because you're an AD, is NOT what being a sports fan is all about!!!!

Geeze Louise lighten up all of you who are worried about this. The only ones who see this as a problem are Goofy fans.

Their AD was probably at Blarneys. ;)