SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Officials

GeauxSioux

WCHA needs upgrade in officiating

Looks like Virg is seeing the same thing that many Sioux and WCHA fans see ....

The same directive from the NHL has opened up the pro game and worked very well. NHL players know the obstruction penalties will be called, without fail, and they play the game accordingly. It's brought a new level of excitement to the pro game and opened the door again to smaller players to excel.

But go to Engelstad Arena on any Sioux home hockey game night and you'll see players tackled, wrapped up with both arms of the opponent along the boards and hooked from behind by opponents to slow their progress down the ice.

WCHA needs upgrade in officiating

Looks like Virg is seeing the same thing that many Sioux and WCHA fans see ....

If they aren't calling it why not do it? I don't blame the other teams but rather the officiating.

Since the officiating is so consistently bad, then there's one guy to blame. Papa Sheppard.

I just read the article. I like this quote:

It leaves me no choice but to place the blame squarely on WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod and supervisor of officials Greg Shepherd.

The gag rule on speaking about the officiating has made the problem more worser. Let the coaches speak freely.

It doesn't stop at Poppa Sheperd. The refs don't get any support from the league officials or the coaches to call things tightly. Basically they get more grief when they call a lot of penalties than when they don't and this is what we are left with.

Change won't happen until WCHA coaches come to a consensus that the WCHA game needs to be remodeled after the NHL game.

It doesn't stop at Poppa Sheperd. The refs don't get any support from the league officials or the coaches to call things tightly. Basically they get more grief when they call a lot of penalties than when they don't and this is what we are left with.

Change won't happen until WCHA coaches come to a consensus that the WCHA game needs to be remodeled after the NHL game.

That's a good point, and let's not forget all the belly-aching from many fans a couple years ago when the change first came to D1.

Maybe, but really, if coaches want the game called fairly yet find that the games aren't called fairly, who is to blame? Themselves? Really, what it comes down to is accountability standards among officials and the league office.

There is none. Period.

Greg Shepherd's "attaboy" accountability program (It wouldn't be surprising if he gave out gold stars for good performances and scolded officials for bad games by giving them a frowny face or "Mr. Yuk" sticker) and Bruce McLeod's "See no eveil hear no evil" attitude is really a problem.

Yeah, I used to think it was mainly Greg Shepherd until McLeod decided that the best way to remedy this situation is to PROMOTE Shepherd.

I saw the final 13 minutes of Stars at Wild after the Sioux game last night. Up and down and wide open. What a blast! (An eight shooter shoot-out wasn't bad either. :D )

What I also saw was a simple stick across the waist tug, the same tug that I'd seen 100 of in REA earlier in the evening, get called by the NHL refs for what it is: obstruction hooking. It was the only tug of that sort I saw during 13 minutes of regulation and 5 of OT.

If you say you're going to call it, and consistently do, the players will adjust.

That is precisely why the NHL product is presently better than the WCHA product.

PS - Should I be expecting a royalty check from The Virg for giving him the idea for this column? :D

There must be something to this because, surprisingly, there are even Gopher fans complaining about the refs this weekend. That just doesn't happen.

Gopher fans complaining about the refs. Why? Anderson did everything he could to make sure thatt he Gophers were going to win that game yesterday. I think there needs to be more of an independent review of games and if they make really bad calls, then there needs to be consequences on those refs. But that will never happen.

Anyone know who will be the refs for the Sioux game this weekend?

Before anyone asks "Where's RW77 on this" I'm going to chime in and say you all know my stance. :D

I was hoping your would refresh our memory on the matter. I really enjoy your comments on the officials and feel free to preach to the choir.

I agree with Virg on the matter it would be nice if the coaches could talk about the refs more. I watched the Gophers an Denver game this weekend and it was

like the Todd Anderson show, no flow to the game what so ever. I would imagine that Anderson needed a new wistle after the game was over.

haven't seen Zelkin since last year, and interestingly, Marco Hunt we have only seen twice. the first time, he reviewed a goal and gave it to us against Quinnipiac and then at CC.

Is Zelkin even officating anymore?

Supposedly Poppa Shep wasn't too happy with Anderson's officaiating last night at Mariucci. Someone who was up in the press box said he was throwing a fit. Will anything come of this? PROBABLY NOT!

I don't think Shep has the seeds to do anything.

That will pretty much guarentee we don't see him this weekend.

Supposedly Poppa Shep wasn't too happy with Anderson's officaiating last night at Mariucci. Someone who was up in the press box said he was throwing a fit. Will anything come of this? PROBABLY NOT!

I don't think Shep has the seeds to do anything.

My opinion Anderson blew the calls on the fracas.

1. DQ to O'Brien for the hit on Fisher.

2. Remove the DQ from Gordon, he didn't fight.

3. Double minor to Gordon for getting pounded.

DU still comes out with a power play, but not the three minute remainder of a major.

This is really just one minor incident in the overall picture though. The stickwork (it goes both ways) that goes uncalled in every Gopher game is just stupid. I'm sure it's happens to Toews/Oshie as well, but every time Wheeler or Okposo carries into the zone the backchecker puts the stick in their armpit with no calls. These guys don't go down so they don't get the call. Next year they won't have to deal with that.

I still think this is a problem that can only be fixed by the coaches. Unless they as a group put pressure on McLeod nothing will change. The league is currently under the impression that nothing is wrong due to it's dominance in NCAA play. Eventually either Major Juniors or Eastern hockey will be able to exploit this in recruiting.

My opinion Anderson blew the calls on the fracas.

1. DQ to O'Brien for the hit on Fisher.

2. Remove the DQ from Gordon, he didn't fight.

3. Double minor to Gordon for getting pounded.

DU still comes out with a power play, but not the three minute remainder of a major.

This is really just one minor incident in the overall picture though. The stickwork (it goes both ways) that goes uncalled in every Gopher game is just stupid. I'm sure it's happens to Toews/Oshie as well, but every time Wheeler or Okposo carries into the zone the backchecker puts the stick in their armpit with no calls. These guys don't go down so they don't get the call. Next year they won't have to deal with that.

I still think this is a problem that can only be fixed by the coaches. Unless they as a group put pressure on McLeod nothing will change. The league is currently under the impression that nothing is wrong due to it's dominance in NCAA play. Eventually either Major Juniors or Eastern hockey will be able to exploit this in recruiting.

Good commentary.

You hit on one of my pettest peeves, namely that hooking is never called unless the guy flops. The worst hooks go uncalled, while calling the tiny tugs that are embellished (and should be diving instead of hooking). Guys like Wheeler and TJ just don't go down, so they don't get the calls (and the opponents get more brazen in their stickwork).

The NHL game IS more interesting right now....

and do you think TDon will join any type of concensus on this? It appears to me that all he cares about is "his" players being robbed by the NHL and "his" players having to leave for the World Juniors during conference play. Total conceit - which is abundant in the "land of 10,000 excuses"