SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais to NDSU?

Smoggy

Except Boston College in 2001, 1999 and Michigan in 1998 and just about everybody in 2001-02.

This isn't meant to be a rip on Blais who is my favorite Sioux head coach and a legend of Sioux hockey. But Blais teams that were dominant in the last part of 1990's tanked at year end, and no one seems to remember the struggles of the early 2000's other than 2000-01.

At least Blais won some of the big games (i.e Championships).

Why would he apply for a job that doesn't exist? :D:silly:

I'm also applying for this job. Since it doesn't exist yet, I'm also in process of writing my job description, compensation and incentives package.

I figure I'll start interviewing potential assistant coaches in the next month or so. Blaiser will be welcome to apply. :D

At least Blais won some of the big games (i.e Championships).

Yes, the 1998 and 1999 and, in my opinion, the 2001 teams choked big time and we must remember that. I think Blais had an intensity level that Hakstol does not match and I think Blais somehow got the best out of the players. I think he did this by not ensuring playing time for any player. If you worked hard and produced, then you got to play. If you stunk up the place, you sat the pine. I like Hakstol and I think he is a good coach. I think Eades is a great coach too and a great recruiter. The defense has suffered this year without Berry and I wish Steve Johnson would have gotten that job. I think Hakstol deserves some leniency and some faith from the fans. With the talent that the Sioux have, they should lose very few games if their intensity and focus are where they should be. The key is getting them to that level mentally. Hakstol and Eades are smart guys and they'll get it turned around.

I don't really see Blais coaching in the WCHA or other college ranks for the foreseeable future. What would be his motivation? He's already won two Titles as coach, and done a great deal for the school and the sport. If anything, I could see him bobbing up in the AHL or ECHL as a coach, or perhaps getting another Assistant gig in the NHL before next season.

I'm also applying for this job. Since it doesn't exist yet, I'm also in process of writing my job description, compensation and incentives package.

I figure I'll start interviewing potential assistant coaches in the next month or so. Blaiser will be welcome to apply. :silly:

I knew that Toews' F-bomb would drive you right over the edge. :D

Please keep me in mind to provide sudo coverage of your sudo hockey program. :D

I knew that Toews' F-bomb would drive you right over the edge. :D

Please keep me in mind to provide sudo coverage of your sudo hockey program. :D

Virg has already applied for that position. You can apply for the sudo assistant job if you want. Things are moving along fairly fast here so I wouldn't delay on getting your application in.

I figure I'll start interviewing potential assistant coaches in the next month or so. Blaiser will be welcome to apply. :D

Don't forget to set up your lucrative severance package, so you have a golden parachute should things go south down south. :huh:

I just watched the WDAY sports tonight, and I'll be buggered if they didn't change their minds on the dome addition being basketball only. I have been convinced that NDSU will not have hockey based on the history of this topic from NDSU admin and most recently from Walaker that the dome addition would absolutely not have ice. But the dome authority seems to have changed its mind. Is it just coincidince that all this Blaise/NDSU/CHA hockey talk comes up, and now the dome authority changes its mind on the addition? I'm not sure what to think...but I won't believe anything until I hear an announcement from Chapman or Taylor. Or...God help me...Blaise.

I hope they are not serious about that. A hockey arena ends are too far away from the action to allow for being a good BB facility......

I have always heard how great the atmosphere is for basketball games at this arena or even this arena. As long as a facility is designed as a dual facility from the get-go, they can be set up to be great arenas. I have said before, I don't know why you would spend all of that money on an arena and not make it as multi-functional as possible. UW and OSU don't seem to have problems having both basketball and hockey games on the same day in the same arena. I wish that the Ralph had been set up this way.

I have a feeling that BSU has been on the phone with NDSU alot in the last year or 2. BSU has to accomplish 1 of 2 things.

1) Stabilize the CHA for the long term as there aren't many options other than it.

or

2) Find a way to convince the WCHA to let them in. Could having an attractive, near-by 12th team to join at the same time help? I doubt it could hurt.

And one has to wonder how serious the Syracuse AD is about adding hockey. I am sure that Niagara University and Robert Morris would love to have another close conference game.

• 3 weeks later...

I happened to catch a little bit of a radio show yesterday on WDAY, hosted by the Kolpack brothers. The issue of Sioux hockey came up, and there were the obligatory few callers dissing the significance of college hockey, which is typical. However, one of the Kolpack boys made a statement that struck me as particularly bizarre. This is not a direct quote, but close to it:

"NDSU will never have hockey under the current administration, because hockey is seen as a regional sport."

So NDSU not having hockey isn't due to lack of facility, Title IX, already stretched resources due to the dI transition, etc. It's because hockey is a regional sport. Maybe geography isn't my strongest suit, but isn't Fargo-Moorhead in the region where hockey is rather popular? :ohmy:

I happened to catch a little bit of a radio show yesterday on WDAY, hosted by the Kolpack brothers. The issue of Sioux hockey came up, and there were the obligatory few callers dissing the significance of college hockey, which is typical. However, one of the Kolpack boys made a statement that struck me as particularly bizarre. This is not a direct quote, but close to it:

"NDSU will never have hockey under the current administration, because hockey is seen as a regional sport."

Thats because it would cut into their cow tipping down there at moo U. :ohmy:

Will Blais be back?

The most likely place could be Minnesota State-Mankato, where Troy Jutting hasn't been able to produce a winner.
If Blais is willing to go north to Alaska, he just might blow Shyiak right out of the job, even though Anchorage wants to keep him.

It's my feeling that Anchorage would not be high on the list of jobs that would attract Blais, but one never knows with Dean.