SiouxSports.com Forum

GATORS vs BUCKEYES

Tommiejo

Florida played a cupcake schedule compared to Wisconsin.

Sorry that I am so late in responding to this, and I cut out the rest of your post to make this post shorter, but that statement I quoted from you is completely false. Did you look at their schedules or just think about it? Wisconsin played one ranked team during the regular season, and got beat handily by Michigan. Florida played four ranked teams during the regular season, and won 3 of 4. Not to mention that it's already been stated that the SEC is the better overall conference IMO. The top teams of the Big 10 are better than the top teams of the SEC. But overall, top-to-bottom, the SEC is better IMO.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That certainly wasn't the case this year, was it? However, I think anybody with an open mind realizes they had some good years during the Barber/Maroney era.

2005 7-5 Finished 7th in the Big Ten

2004 7-5 Finished 8th in the Big Ten

2003 10-3 Finished in a tie for 4th in the Big Ten Finished #20 in the Final AP poll and #17 in the ESPN poll

2002 8-5 Finished 7th in the Big Ten

I have an open mind and realize they had a good year in 2003, but that is about it.

2005 7-5 Finished 7th in the Big Ten

2004 7-5 Finished 8th in the Big Ten

2003 10-3 Finished in a tie for 4th in the Big Ten Finished #20 in the Final AP poll and #17 in the ESPN poll

2002 8-5 Finished 7th in the Big Ten

I have an open mind and realize they had a good year in 2003, but that is about it.

Compared to the days of Wacker, they are all good teams.

Compared to the days of Wacker, they are all good teams.

No Top 3 finishes and no New Year's Day bowls during that time? That's an abyssmal failure IMO. Monumental collapse at home against Michigan that season (2003), and couldn't rebound the next week against a very ordinary Michigan St. team. Mason's dismissal was long overdue.

Getting back to how strong the Big 10 is, the fact that the 7th and 8th place teams in the conference had records of 7-5 and 8-5 more than proves my point.

The 7th place team in the Big 10 had a record of 5-7, the 8th place team had a record of 6-7, the 9th and 10th teams each had a record of 4-8 and the 11th team had a record of 2-10.

I don't understand the point you are trying to prove/make. The best team Minnesota beat IMO is Iowa, and Iowa finished with the same record as UofM, 6-7. The Big 10 dropped off dramatically after the top 2-3, I don't really feel like putting Wisconsin in with Ohio State and Michigan just for the fact that I don't feel they had a tough conference schedule.

The 7th place team in the Big 10 had a record of 5-7, the 8th place team had a record of 6-7, the 9th and 10th teams each had a record of 4-8 and the 11th team had a record of 2-10.

I don't understand the point you are trying to prove/make. The best team Minnesota beat IMO is Iowa, and Iowa finished with the same record as UofM, 6-7. The Big 10 dropped off dramatically after the top 2-3, I don't really feel like putting Wisconsin in with Ohio State and Michigan just for the fact that I don't feel they had a tough conference schedule.

Not to mention that those bottom teams of the Big Ten earn wins against the like of Temple and Kent St. or some AA team.

Congrats Tommie! I picked this score in a pool but of course with the MIGHTY Ohio State as the winner...so I'm eating a heaping helping of crow tonight but Florida came out tonight and handed it to the Buckeyes. I knew OSU was screwed when they went for it inside their own 30 on a 4th and 1 in the 2ND QUARTER :silly:

TommieJo I hope you got to the game. I think you and I were the only ones on this board with any faith. I didn't see anything different from Urban Meyer's offense compared to the regular season and they still whooped the Buckeyes.

The only school with the basketball title and football title. GO GATORS!

My smile has only been bigger when watching the Sioux win in Providence. :silly:

First, I want to thank everyone that took the time to place their opinion on this post. It was really great to hear what everyone had to say. Now let's look at the numbers first, 81 total yards on offence for OSU or should I say OVERRATED STATE UNIVERSTIY, hey let's not forget their bowl record against SEC teams 0-8. As for the Big Ten, I'll give you the outback & citrus bowls but WE GOT THE BIG ONE. I did go to the game as a matter of fact I just came home from AZ & the trip was worth it. So for those who said that the SEC is overrated, I don't think so. If you put both OSU & Michigan in the SEC they would both have 2 maybe 3 losses tops. In closing these comments. IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR & HOW BOUT THEM GATOR. Just think Tebow will be the starting QB next season & that's a plus in our favor. So thank you again for expressing your opinion & I hope we can do this again after all it was a lot of fun & I enjoyed every minute of it. Hey the game was great also. GO GATORSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. NATIONAL CHAMPS. Hey PCM wear that GATOR hat with pride. Hey Smoggy thank you for having faith with me on this one. GO GATORS. ANY BIG TEN FANS WANT THEIR SCHOOL TO PLAY US IN THE SWAMP ANYTIME SOON? GO GATORS.

You better not try to argue this one, because you have no argument. The Big 10 is to the SEC what the WCHA is to the CCHA. No comparison. Penn State took care of Tennessee and Wisconsin took care of Arkansas, now all we need to complete the sweep is for Ohio State to knock off Florida. The SEC is the most overrated conference in D1 football, year in and year out. The Big 10 is easily the strongest conference in the nation.

Big ten VS. SEC

Flordia Vs. Ohio State- Florida won big

LSU Vs. Michigan - LSU would roll just like USC did. J-Russel is a bus.

Arkansas Vs. Wisconsin- Wisc. takes this one

Auburn Vs. PSU- I take Auburn and their wins over LSU and Flordia in this one.

Tennesee Vs. Purdue- Tennesee would roll in this one.

Georgia Vs. Minnesota- Georgia and their D against a streaky Minnesota team.

Kentucky Vs. Indiana- Tucky in a close one.

South Carolina Vs. Iowa- Tough one too call as both teams are better than their record. I'll go Iowa with a healthy Drew Tate.

Alabama Vs. North Western- Bama would run it up in this one.

Ole Miss Vs. Michigan State- Schafer and Ellis are great for Ole Miss, but a healthy Stanton would be too much. Mich State in this one.

Miss State Vs. Illinois- Both teams are weak. I'll go toss up.

7-3-1 in favor of the SEC

With so many blowouts in title games (we're even guilty of the game that will go unnamed a few years back), I fail to see how people can be against the playoff system. It irks me that college football is the only sport where there are issues with who is #1 year in and year out. Throw in the recent overruling of the transfer student stuff, and ugh... NCAA is just whack (not that we didn't know this before :ohmy: ).

With so many blowouts in title games (we're even guilty of the game that will go unnamed a few years back), I fail to see how people can be against the playoff system. It irks me that college football is the only sport where there are issues with who is #1 year in and year out. Throw in the recent overruling of the transfer student stuff, and ugh... NCAA is just whack (not that we didn't know this before :ohmy: ).

Count me among those who think the BCS is a silly way to pick a national champion. Back in the dark ages when I was playing high school football (those leather helmets rocked!), we played nine games and then the media took a poll that rated the teams. Whichever team got the most votes was considered the state champion. The arguments never ended about which team really deserved to be No. 1.

Fortunately, that antiquated method of crowning a champion was scrapped more than 20 years ago. I'd like to think that there's some way that people could make the same or more money off a true playoff system than they do off the bowl games. The whole thing has gotten way out of hand.

I wasn't surprised about the outcome.

What I was surprised about was the labelling of the teams. "Favorite" tOSU.... favorite by what or whom? Certainly not the media. The "underdog" got all of the media attention. So how could Florida (aside from their 1 loss and their #2 ranking) be considered "underdog?" It seems that the only label of "underdog" that could be attributed to either team would be to tOSU, which recieved markedly less press attention and, therefore, less hype than Florida coming into the game.

Sorry, if you are going to call a team an "underdog" you do it without raising the hype surrounding said team. Florida was never the "underdog."