SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio guys quit making excuses

snooty89

I just turned on the radio to listen to the post-game show. It is pathetic. They say Phil L. played great and kept the game close. We get no bounces. All the bad bounces.

Seriously. The Sioux are not very good right now and there was only one player that stood out on the ice and it was Oshie.

Honestly there is nothing more frustrating than to listen to the excuses made by everyone.

And what in God's name did Sheppard think making a penalty and not a penalty shot on the gloved puck in the crease. This is so frustrating.

I just turned on the radio to listen to the post-game show. It is pathetic. They say Phil L. played great and kept the game close. We get no bounces. All the bad bounces.

Seriously. The Sioux are not very good right now and there was only one player that stood out on the ice and it was Oshie.

Honestly there is nothing more frustrating than to listen to the excuses made by everyone.

And what in God's name did Sheppard think making a penalty and not a penalty shot on the gloved puck in the crease. This is so frustrating.

Lets not forget the effort by Grieco before he got pulled TJ Oshie had three points on the weekend 2 for Miller.

Watching on Dataflix Sheppard's (sp?) non -call for covering in the crease is right up there with the non-call against the Dallas Cowboys vs. Vikings circa 1978....horrible!

When the worm turns in favor of this team....it could get very interesting! Keep supporting the troops, it is part of being a fan...thick or thin stand behind them. let's go Sioux!

Lets not forget the effort by Grieco before he got pulled

You mean the big, fat rebound he gave up that led to the first goal?

Or maybe it was the big, fat opening between his legs that led to the second goal and his benching?

I think it's time to give Walski a chance. The other two guys haven't been consistent enough and they've both had plenty of chances. Walski hasn't had a chance; give it to him. Of course, that won't solve our goal scoring and defensive problems. :)

Or maybe it was the big, fat opening between his legs that led to the second goal and his benching?

I think it's time to give Walski a chance. The other two guys haven't been consistent enough and they've both had plenty of chances. Walski hasn't had a chance; give it to him. Of course, that won't solve our goal scoring and defensive problems. :silly:

Uh... Were you watching the game?

I'm not sure you were because none of the goals occurred the way you saw it.

First MTU goal: MTU shoots from the point after TJ Oshie loses the faceoff. It is a logo killer and drops harmlessly between Grieco's knees. He blocks the puck off with his stick and flinches a moment with his glove hand. Gagne slaps Grieco's stick and his stick hits the puck into the net. This should have been a save. It was a weak goal, true, but this wasn't the goal that cost us the game. It only tied the score. I've seen far weaker goals.

Second MTU goal: 3 on 2 MTU. Genoway (I think) gets turned around and dives to make a play on the puck. He actually could have made the play, but instead he whiffs. Which leaves it to be basically a 3 on 1 with Jones the only defenseman back. Jones dives and MIGHT have gotten a piece of it. It ends up behind the onrushing MTU player. The MTU player however taps the puck across the front of the net, outside of Grieco's reach, where Kerr redirects the puck into the net with his skate (and NO, it wasn't a kicking motion). THERE WAS NOTHING ANY GOALTENDER COULD HAVE DONE TO PREVENT THIS GOAL.

Now, which game were you watching?

Watching on Dataflix Sheppard's (sp?) non -call for covering in the crease is right up there with the non-call against the Dallas Cowboys vs. Vikings circa 1978....horrible!

When the worm turns in favor of this team....it could get very interesting! Keep supporting the troops, it is part of being a fan...thick or thin stand behind them. let's go Sioux!

Shepherd was awful this weekend but this actually wasn't a bad call as far as the decision was made. What he failed to notice is that the puck was never covered up. The MTU player never covered the puck. He swatted it like a hand pass between his legs and, when the whistle was blown wasn't actually coverred at all. It was sitting between his skates just outside of the crease bouncing from one skate to the other.

Shepherd added time to the game, for reasons I don't understand, and then simply reviewed the play out of courtesy to the rulebook (something he neglected to do after MTU's 2nd goal on Friday).

Uh, yes I was. And Lammy would have gotten roasted for giving up either of those goals; there are some people on here who blame him for everything. They would have blamed Lammy for giving up the rebound on the first goal and for being out of position on the second one (defensive breakdown or no defensive breakdown). Last week's Friday night game against the Badgers featured two defensive breakdowns that led to two second period goals, which led to another home loss. And people were blaming Lammy for it. Grieco gets a free ride from some posters on this forum and I am sick and tired of it. If we're going to have high standards for Lammy, let's have high standards for Grieco. He got lit up in Anchorage and he got lit up in Mankato, but we swept in Mankato because they have even worse defense and goaltending then we have. And there are some people on here who think he can take us to St. Louis? Yeah, right. :silly:

I have zero confidence in either of them right now. They are just not consistent enough. Lammy and Grieco look good sometimes and bad other times. That isn't going to win many games for you. And even if they were consistent, we'd still be losing games because we aren't scoring enough goals and our defense has been mediocre all season. I don't really care who steps up in goal as long as someone does step up. If that doesn't happen, we are going to lose a lot more games this year. :silly:

Now, which game were you watching again?

So lammy might have or might not have made the saves that Greico made, who knows. Lammy did play well last night, without a doubt. For the fact that the fans boo'd when they put lammy in is really sad. Obviously it was a plan the team had to give Grieco a couple goals then put Lammy in instantly. Before Tech could even finish celebrating Lammy was standing on the ice and putting his helmet on. If it wasn't a plan, it would have taken a little longer to make a switch. Yeah sioux 'suck' right now, but for not to be able to see that this was a plan the team had going to into the game(goalie changes) and then boo your goalie as loud as it was, makes me sick.

Hope the month of road trips helps us out a ton, otherwise Ill probably sell my Alaska tickets to avoid the sickness of getting swept at home again! So much talent on the ice but nothing is clicking what so ever. In my opinion they need to establish some lines and keep them that way! Its called building chemistry! I do say give Greico another start soon to if lammy shows any sign of weakness. Not for any other reason but to give the team a change, to see if they will perform any differently behind another goalie.

At least we played physical(for the most part) this weekend. But they really need to pick up the hitting in their own zone. Crush them bas&*rds right at the blue line!

I think I'll take a month off from this place too! :silly::silly:

It's getting real hard to listen to all the complaint's about our goaltending. Goalies don't score goals. If you're not scoring goals you're going to lose. Several people have commented on how Jordan was so much better. If you look at his #'s from last year, 8 losses the team averaged 2.1 goals per game. In 17 wins, they averaged 4.76 goals per game. Phil this year in 5 wins they averaged 4.6 goals per game and in his 7 losses they averaged 1.57 goals per game. Am I the only one who sees a trend here???

I think it's time to give Walski a chance. The other two guys haven't been consistent enough and they've both had plenty of chances. Walski hasn't had a chance; give it to him. Of course, that won't solve our goal scoring and defensive problems. :silly:

How about the Sioux skaters clear some of those big fat rebounds instead of standing around watching the other team stand alone in front of their net to knock them home. At least Greico stops all the first shots.

Am I the only one who sees a trend here???

Nope. I've been beating this drum for the past couple of seasons. I agree with Tim Hennessy who said during last week coaches show that if the Sioux would score a few more goals, a lot of the team's problems would disappear.

Nope. I've been beating this drum for the past couple of seasons. I agree with Tim Hennessy who said during last week coaches show that if the Sioux would score a few more goals, a lot of the team's problems would disappear.

Last season we weren't sitting 7-10-1

In my opinion, the Sioux just don't have the folks with the ability to be scoring a lot of goals. I think that after Toews, Oshie and Duncan, we really don't have anyone that is a consistent offensive threat. That coupled with mediocre defensive play and goaltending has gotten the team into the position that they are currently in. I see this being very different than the past 2 years.

I'm not sure you were because none of the goals occurred the way you saw it.

Second MTU goal: 3 on 2 MTU. Genoway (I think) gets turned around and dives to make a play on the puck. He actually could have made the play, but instead he whiffs. Which leaves it to be basically a 3 on 1 with Jones the only defenseman back. Jones dives and MIGHT have gotten a piece of it. It ends up behind the onrushing MTU player. The MTU player however taps the puck across the front of the net, outside of Grieco's reach, where Kerr redirects the puck into the net with his skate (and NO, it wasn't a kicking motion). THERE WAS NOTHING ANY GOALTENDER COULD HAVE DONE TO PREVENT THIS GOAL.

I literally said "WOW" when MTU scored that second goal. Could have made Sports Center top 10. I agree with Redwing, "THERE WAS NOTHING ANY GOALTENDER COULD HAVE DONE TO PREVENT THIS GOAL."

If anyone has it recorded, it'd be nice to see it again on youtube, even though it was made off our guys.

I see this being very different than the past 2 years.
It's different because it's not the same team. The 04-05 team barely averaged three goals per game. The Spirko-Zajac-Stafford line didn't really become the "men among boys" line until near the end of the regular season. That was two freshmen and a sophomore providing much UND's offense. What got the Sioux by that year was Parise's goaltending and a big, physical, experienced defensive corps. It also helped that by playoff time, guys like Fabian, Massen, Canady, Genoway and McMahon who hadn't been scoring much started popping in goals. Just because the puck isn't going in the net now doesn't mean it will stay that way the entire season.

Last season, the Sioux had Zajac, Stafford, Spirko, Towes, Oshie and Duncan up front, yet they were hardly an offensive jugernaut, averaging about 3.7 goals per game. With the exception of the 01-02 season, none of the Sioux teams under Blais ever averaged under 4 goals per game. The Sioux struggled much of last season, but made it to the Frozen Four with the help of Parise's goaltending and Smaby being the experienced anchor on defense. And once again, the offense started coming around by season's end.

This season, some of the key elements that made UND's defense good the past two seasons are gone. We don't have as many big, physical defensemen as we did the past two seasons. We don't have Parise. And I'm not saying that neither Lamoureux nor Grieco are capable of filling his skates. I am saying that their job is a lot more difficult without an experienced D-corps in front of them and without much support from the offense.

As Hakstol said, when the team is scoring only 2 or 3 goals a game, the margin of error is very slim and every defensive mistake is magnified. He's exactly right. The team's style of play and mindset changes when not making any mistakes that cause goals becomes more important than scoring goals. Hakstol understands what Blais understood: The best defense is a good offense. If you don't have a great defense, you sure as heck better have the offense to compensate for it.

We know that some of the players who were expected to do a lot of scoring haven't been. We know that some of the forwards who were expected to step up their scoring haven't done it. And although this year's freshman class isn't last year's, I see signs that Forney, VandeVelde, Zajac and Genoway will contribute more offensively as they gain experience.

This leads me to another point. The past two weekends, I've heard the coaches of teams that swept the Sioux talk about how maturity and experience factored into their success against UND. I don't care what anyone says, there's no escaping the fact that this year's team is young. There is no substitute for maturity and experience in the WCHA.

The push-off that wasn't called on a long pass that went for a TD. I think it was Drew Pearson, but I'm getting old and my memory is fading.

Found it

Pearson admit interference

Exactly....It was so obvious of a call to make and he (official) didn't make the right call.... not long after the missed call (and subsquent touchdown) the Ref in the Vikings game was nailed in the mellon by a wiskey bottle from a fan....doh!