SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS TECH

AZSIOUX

Just got back from my first Sioux hockey game. Overall, I thought the game was played pretty evenly. Keep in mind I am no hockey expert, so let me know if I'm out to lunch here. We had plenty of scoring chances, but just couldn't get it done. I was disappointed to see the goalie pulled. I'm not sure what it says when you keep switching goalies in and out...

It seems like many of the problems extend from bad passing/poor stick play in the open. Enough of my hockey analysis.

My last comment is the complete lack of emotion in the crowd other than a few yells here and there. Keep in mind I come from a huge Div I football power, so I'm use to the crowd being ROWDY. I'm not sure if there are rules against this in collegiate hockey (I noticed the kill all the music when play begins), but it seems like we need to get the crowd worked up for extended periods of time. Let the team know they are at OUR house and gotta win on OUR ice. People should be banging on the boards, seats, whatever during key time periods. There's plenty of potential... the audience can obviously make noise (the Shout song being played comes to mind).

Aaron

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My last comment is the complete lack of emotion in the crowd other than a few yells here and there. Keep in mind I come from a huge Div I football power, so I'm use to the crowd being ROWDY. I'm not sure if there are rules against this in collegiate hockey (I noticed the kill all the music when play begins), but it seems like we need to get the crowd worked up for extended periods of time. Let the team know they are at OUR house and gotta win on OUR ice. People should be banging on the boards, seats, whatever during key time periods. There's plenty of potential... the audience can obviously make noise (the Shout song being played comes to mind).

Aaron

Ya, a Sioux crowed be loud :) I think are High School b-ball games are louder when the place is full which is bad saying you can only get a couple hundred in there

I'm not privy to what goes on behind the scenes, but I'll bet the coaches have lit these guys up a few times during the course of the last few weeks. Hell, maybe Buning and Hakstol have had a sit down, I don't know.

DUDE...it starts at the top. Since Hakstol has been coach, we've been out recruited and outplayed. Blaise was the guy who in reality, brought on Oshie, Lee and Toews.....as he started to recruit these guys hard when they are just getting out of pee wee hockey. Oshie was going to be a Sioux, b/c he commited to Blaise 2 years before signing.

Just look at all the guys who have come for only 2 years and leave since Hakstol has been coach. The teams from the last 3 years are certainly undisciplined, and the word from the locker room as that they have no respect for Hakstol as he is a "players" coach.

Yes...we went to the finals 2 of the last 3 years, but on talent that had nothing to do with coaching. It's becoming pretty obvious that Hakstol is just not the man everyone thought he was going to be. Not to throw salt on the wound here, but look at Minnesota. They are a powerhouse year in and year out. MN gets top pick players, and KEEPS THEM THERE!!

Dont be blind guys! Motivation needs to start at the top and if Hakstol cant get a group of hightly tatlented players to come together, then changes need to be made at the end of this awful year, or we can look at holding the bottom of the WCHA for quite some time.

DUDE...it starts at the top. Since Hakstol has been coach, we've been out recruited and outplayed. Blaise was the guy who in reality, brought on Oshie, Lee and Toews.....as he started to recruit these guys hard when they are just getting out of pee wee hockey. Oshie was going to be a Sioux, b/c he commited to Blaise 2 years before signing.

Just look at all the guys who have come for only 2 years and leave since Hakstol has been coach. The teams from the last 3 years are certainly undisciplined, and the word from the locker room as that they have no respect for Hakstol as he is a "players" coach.

That's quite the conspiracy theory you have there. What are your thoughts on the JFK assassination?

UMN holds onto their top pick talent? Like Kessel? Vanek? EJohnson and possibly Okposo after this year? All of those first rounders are lucky if they stay for 3 years. We got 3 out of Stafford, and no one expected him to come back for his sr season.

Yes...we went to the finals 2 of the last 3 years, but on talent that had nothing to do with coaching. It's becoming pretty obvious that Hakstol is just not the man everyone thought he was going to be. Not to throw salt on the wound here, but look at Minnesota. They are a powerhouse year in and year out. MN gets top pick players, and KEEPS THEM THERE!!

Dont be blind guys! Motivation needs to start at the top and if Hakstol cant get a group of hightly tatlented players to come together, then changes need to be made at the end of this awful year, or we can look at holding the bottom of the WCHA for quite some time.

Nobody's getting fired.

Sheppard doesn't have a damn thing to do with this.

Shappard had everything to do with that call. I was at Senser's watching the game and even the Gopher fans around me were pissed about that call. Everyone of them said it should ahve been a penaly shot. We should have not let it come down to that, but Sheppard made a horrible call, and I would have loved to see Hak just punch him right in the damn mouth for it. That was ridiculous.

What a horrible weekend.

Shappard had everything to do with that call. I was at Senser's watching the game and even the Gopher fans around me were pissed about that call. Everyone of them said it should ahve been a penaly shot. We should have not let it come down to that, but Sheppard made a horrible call, and I would have loved to see Hak just punch him right in the damn mouth for it. That was ridiculous.

What a horrible weekend.

Yes it was a bad call. My point is that it shouldn't come down to that, in our barn, against Tech. There are bigger issues here.

That's quite the conspiracy theory you have there. What are your thoughts on the JFK assassination?

UMN holds onto their top pick talent? Like Kessel? Vanek? EJohnson and possibly Okposo after this year? All of those first rounders are lucky if they stay for 3 years. We got 3 out of Stafford, and no one expected him to come back for his sr season.

brian- Don't lower yourself to neo's level. He's already one of the four or so calling for Hakstol's firing. What it comes down to is simply they want Blais back or they are just sour that their candidate that they backed didn't get the job. So they cling to throwing players under the bus and calling out the coach for every bad thing that happens. They have every right to be dissatisfied with this team. I am just happy though that there are posters here that don't have their heads up their backside that see that the game is cyclical and we'll bounce back. If not this year, next year.

brian- Don't lower yourself to neo's level.

I wouldn't do that...then I would have to be sitting here calling for Hakstol, Lee, Finley, and anyone else on Livestoplay06 'no respect' list to be taken off the team.

I am more humored by those posts and those posters than anything else.

:silly:

I wouldn't do that...then I would have to be sitting here calling for Hakstol, Lee, Finley, and anyone else on Livestoplay06 'no respect' list to be taken off the team.

I'm glad you can see the humor. I have trouble with my blood pressure when I see that stuff.

I'm just as frustrated as anyone here. I just wonder if there isn't even the slightest glimmer of hope for this season?

We have a huge sophomore class that is going through an equally huge sophomore slump (ok, except for Duncan and Chorney). We're no longer ranked (nor should we be) and we're deep out of the playoff picture. It looks bleak.

I'll still hold out hope, but 2001-2002 was a terrible year for me to endure as a fan... I don't want to go through that again. :silly:

I'm glad you can see the humor. I have trouble with my blood pressure when I see that stuff.

I'm just as frustrated as anyone here. I just wonder if there isn't even the slightest glimmer of hope for this season?

We have a huge sophomore class that is going through an equally huge sophomore slump (ok, except for Duncan and Chorney). We're no longer ranked (nor should we be) and we're deep out of the playoff picture. It looks bleak.

I'll still hold out hope, but 2001-2002 was a terrible year for me to endure as a fan... I don't want to go through that again. :silly:

I agree with Brian. At first I started to get upset, but some of the posters are so over the top it is just funny. These are college kids playing a game. I just can't get as angry as some of the posters seem to get. And I am not ready to dump any of these players or coachs.

I think there is still hope for the season. There are stretchs in many of the games where the Sioux just dominate. Unfortunately, those stretchs don't always result in goals. And just as quickly, the team seems to lose focus and someone (or several people) makes a mistake which results in a goal for the other team. And it isn't just a couple of players that are making the mistakes, just about everyone on the team has contributed to the problem. If we were getting blown out of a bunch of games I would be more inclined to write off the season. Most of these games have been 1 or 2 goal losses which means that if a few things changed the result might have changed. The coaching staff just needs to find the keys to correct some of the problems, and if they do the team will start winning some games.

I agree with Brian. At first I started to get upset, but some of the posters are so over the top it is just funny. These are college kids playing a game. I just can't get as angry as some of the posters seem to get. And I am not ready to dump any of these players or coachs.

I think there is still hope for the season. There are stretchs in many of the games where the Sioux just dominate. Unfortunately, those stretchs don't always result in goals. And just as quickly, the team seems to lose focus and someone (or several people) makes a mistake which results in a goal for the other team. And it isn't just a couple of players that are making the mistakes, just about everyone on the team has contributed to the problem. If we were getting blown out of a bunch of games I would be more inclined to write off the season. Most of these games have been 1 or 2 goal losses which means that if a few things changed the result might have changed. The coaching staff just needs to find the keys to correct some of the problems, and if they do the team will start winning some games.

I hope you're right.

I believe that the players are having trouble adjusting to Dane's system, as no doubt it is different than Berry's, but I trust Hakstol and company. I just don't like the bleakness.

I missed the game tonight. I see we lost again.... what a surprise. Swept at home by one of the worst teams in college hockey. Let me guess, there are still posters on here who will defend this team to the death, right? Go figure.

This is the problem and I don't think ANYONE can solve it.

It's not bad bounces, you can't lose games because you get some bad bounces.

WE NEED TO BEGIN FINISHING ARE CHANCES.

Last week how many scrambles did we have in front of the net with the puck just sitting here. 1 I know of in the final minute. Tonight, there were a ton. Vandevelde, Oshie (had a ton), Miller (was wide open in the first, sitting in front) I don't know how to solve this, I guess it will just come.

First of all I like hakstol, next I'll give Lee props tonight he had a nice assist on the first goal of MT.

I missed the game tonight. I see we lost again.... what a surprise. Swept at home by one of the worst teams in college hockey. Let me guess, there are still posters on here who will defend this team to the death, right? Go figure.

There better as hell be people on here who will defend this team to the death!!! You guys can't just give up on the Sioux because we're having a bad season!! Keep cheering them on, I know by talking to them that they like it when people cheer for the team!! So stop your complaining, and GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

There better as hell be people on here who will defend this team to the death!!! You guys can't just give up on the Sioux because we're having a bad season!! Keep cheering them on, I know by talking to them that they like it when people cheer for the team!! So stop your complaining, and GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

Cheering and defending are two completely different things. Of course people cheer for their team. Even the most negative poster here is a FAN of the Fighting Sioux. Some are over the top and quite frankly, some wouldn't say a bad word if the team never won another game.

As for the team liking cheering, thats simple. Play well and win games and you get that. Play like crap and you get the negative feedback.

We just got swept at home by MT. Christ.... wake up.

Cheering and defending are two completely different things. Of course people cheer for their team. Even the most negative poster here is a FAN of the Fighting Sioux. Some are over the top and quite frankly, some wouldn't say a bad word if the team never won another game.

As for the team liking cheering, thats simple. Play well and win games and you get that. Play like crap and you get the negative feedback.

We just got swept at home by MT. Christ.... wake up.

Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me how some people love to blow sunshine up the a$$es of others and have it blown up their own, while engaging in some strokefest questioning the loyalty of others who rightfully critique this team's "play". Getting swept by any team in your own barn is appalling. Getting swept by MT in your own barn is disgusting. Getting swept in your own barn on consecutive weekends is disgraceful. If anybody finds any "silver lining" in this team's recent performance, I suggest they put down their bong. Bitter? Yeah, but then again, I go into every season expecting the Sioux to win every game, and contend for another title, unlike some people around here. :silly:

Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me how some people love to blow sunshine up the a$$es of others and have it blown up their own, while engaging in some strokefest questioning the loyalty of others who rightfully critique this team's "play". Getting swept by any team in your own barn is appalling.

Scott_M that is pretty much the statement of the week.