SiouxSports.com Forum

Regional Rankings

teamsioux

I'm not looking up records, because somebody knows.

Didn't Bemidji State beat Winona? What's the record of each? I thought BSU was leading the NSIC.

BSU did beat Winona, pretty badly, but unfortunately for them, the rankings are largely based on "strength of schedule", so BSU's poor non-conference schedule is really hurting them. Winona played and beat two mediocre MIAA teams in addition to their loss to UND, and that's apparently enough to keep them ahead of Bemidji. If the rankings were based on common sense, BSU would certainly be ahead of Winona. Of course, if the rankings were based on common sense, there wouldn't be any NSIC team in the playoffs this year, but that's another issue altogether.

BSU did beat Winona, pretty badly, but unfortunately for them, the rankings are largely based on "strength of schedule", so BSU's poor non-conference schedule is really hurting them. Winona played and beat two mediocre MIAA teams in addition to their loss to UND, and that's apparently enough to keep them ahead of Bemidji. If the rankings were based on common sense, BSU would certainly be ahead of Winona. Of course, if the rankings were based on common sense, there wouldn't be any NSIC team in the playoffs this year, but that's another issue altogether.

It is my understanding that even if Winona is ranked ahead of Bemidji State, if Bemeidji is ranked in the top 10 and win their conference they will "trump" Winona.

Anyone else heard that. I bet 92-96 knows that one.

OK numbers-gurus, is there a scenario under which UND would fall below #4 in the region?

No. :blush:

UND is locked into one of the top four seeds... obviously they will stay at #2 with a win and a loss will put them at either 3 or 4 (depending on how UNO does this weekend).

It is my understanding that even if Winona is ranked ahead of Bemidji State, if Bemeidji is ranked in the top 10 and win their conference they will "trump" Winona.

Anyone else heard that. I bet 92-96 knows that one.

No, that isn't correct. Winona will get into the playoffs instead of Bemidji if both teams win this weekend. BSU having won the conference means nothing as far as the playoffs go.

No. :blush:

UND is locked into one of the top four seeds... obviously they will stay at #2 with a win and a loss will put them at either 3 or 4 (depending on how UNO does this weekend).

And aren't the top four regional seeds supposed to get home field in their first games ....

And November 9 is Thursday ....

And aren't the top four regional seeds supposed to get home field in their first games ....

And November 9 is Thursday ....

I'm pretty sure the Top 2 regional seeds get a bye -- #3 plays #6 and #4 plays #5 the first week. IF the Sioux beat South Dakota, UNO would likely get the #3 spot, probably win over #6 and play UND in the second game in Grand Forks IF an injunction is granted before then in the court case...if not, UNO would get to host and that would suck!

ALSO -- I have to check that "earned access rule" - but as I recall, the Northern Sun Conference champ (assuming Bemidji) would get the #6 spot, because they're ranked in the top 10 of the region and I think Winona would get bumped in favor of their conference champ.

I'm pretty sure the Top 2 regional seeds get a bye -- #3 plays #6 and #4 plays #5 the first week. IF the Sioux beat South Dakota, UNO would likely get the #3 spot, probably win over #6 and play UND in the second game in Grand Forks IF an injunction is granted before then in the court case...if not, UNO would get to host and that would suck!

ALSO -- I have to check that "earned access rule" - but as I recall, the Northern Sun Conference champ (assuming Bemidji) would get the #6 spot, because they're ranked in the top 10 of the region and I think Winona would get bumped in favor of their conference champ.

Incorrect. The only time earned access comes into play is if a conference doesn't have a team in the top six. So, for example, if BSU was the only NSIC ranked in the top ten right now, they would bump out the #6 team and get in the playoffs instead. But since Winona is ranked ahead of them and in the top 6, Bemidji can't bump anyone else out of a spot. Also, earned access has nothing to do with who wins a conference. Remember, UNO won the NCC outright 2 years ago and didn't get in the playoffs.

Incorrect. The only time earned access comes into play is if a conference doesn't have a team in the top six. So, for example, if BSU was the only NSIC ranked in the top ten right now, they would bump out the #6 team and get in the playoffs instead. But since Winona is ranked ahead of them and in the top 6, Bemidji can't bump anyone else out of a spot. Also, earned access has nothing to do with who wins a conference. Remember, UNO won the NCC outright 2 years ago and didn't get in the playoffs.

thanks RD! wasn't totally sure...the irony is Bemidji beat Winona head to head and will likely be their conference champ but that's not good enough to make playoffs if you play a weak non-con schedule. Ultimately it doesn't make a big difference I guess...UNO will roll Winona about as bad as UND did! (GEEZ I hope this doesn't get "wsuwarrior" back on the board....sorry :blush::huh: )

Does the committee get to do any reshuffling or are they locked in to what the computers put teams at?

The poll is much more reliant on committee input than just pure numbers like it was in the past. They've added more criteria this year that gives them the ability to move teams around as they see fit.

The interesting thing is that I-AA games essentially don't count anymore when it comes to picking teams for the postseason. It wouldn't have mattered if UND had won or lost the UNI game... they still would be ranked 2nd in the region right now.

I'm glad that someone mentioned something about the great possibility of UND being on the road for the entire playoffs. UND could be the #1 team out of their region and not get any home games..... :blush:

"The NCAA was established as a sports management association. The organization has since assumed the mantle of social arbiters. They need to go back to scheduling ballgames and leave the social engineering to others"

~Representative Timothy Johnson

:huh:

I'm glad that someone mentioned something about the great possibility of UND being on the road for the entire playoffs. UND could be the #1 team out of their region and not get any home games..... :blush:

"The NCAA was established as a sports management association. The organization has since assumed the mantle of social arbiters. They need to go back to scheduling ballgames and leave the social engineering to others"

~Representative Timothy Johnson

:D

I am not convinced that this Sioux team is national championship material (too inconsistent with pass defense), but being on the road for every single playoff game would ensure we will not win it all this year. All the blame would have to be placed on the NCAA Politburo and their fearless leader, Secretary-General Myles Brand. :huh: Of course, this would make winning a national championship this year the sweetest championship ever won at this school. In any sport. But the odds are slim and/or none. :D

November 9th will determine if we have a chance at making a playoff run or not. Let's hope we can get a favorable ruling for our football team and our other teams later on.

thanks RD! wasn't totally sure...the irony is Bemidji beat Winona head to head and will likely be their conference champ but that's not good enough to make playoffs if you play a weak non-con schedule. Ultimately it doesn't make a big difference I guess...UNO will roll Winona about as bad as UND did! (GEEZ I hope this doesn't get "wsuwarrior" back on the board....sorry :lol::lol: )

Dont be madd that Wsu is going to make the playoffs...

I'm glad that someone mentioned something about the great possibility of UND being on the road for the entire playoffs. UND could be the #1 team out of their region and not get any home games..... :lol:

:lol:

Newberry is currently ranked #1 in the Southeast region. Since they have not filed any lawsuit they will be on the road for all playoff games. So if UND were to somehow move up to the #1 seed after this w/e and did not get an injuction we would have two of the four #1 seeds having to go on the road. Makes a joke out of the entire playoff system.