SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Huskies

GBpakrzz

Rules don't say anything about having to be in the clear to warrant a penalty shot.

Maybe they should specifically call out that a penalty shot be awarded when a penalty prevents a scoring opportunity and not enough time remains on the game clock to allow for a reasonable power play opportunity. Say less than twenty or thirty seconds.

The way it is now, if I am playing D and a player like Oshie or Toews is coming at me one on one with time running out, I'd just tackle him.

The SCSU defenseman made a nice play. There are good penalties and then there are great penalties; that was a great penalty.

Rules also state that if a player takes the goal off to prevent a goal (Friday Gopher/Duluth game) or players cover up puck outside the crease or against the board to delay the game, the ref has the option to call a penalty shot, but you never see it. I understand what you're saying about not having enough time left on the clock to set up any type of attack or scoring opportunity, but I do feel the refs in the league are pretty consistent. They all suck! :blush: Okay, in reality, I don't think our refs do that bad of a job. Well most of them anyway. I won't comment on Anderson.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i only got to catch the ot last night on webcast....did toews get booted from the faceoff at the very end when they were trying to get the right players out?? and why the hell did scsu have 5 players out there plus the goalie?? obviously didnt effect it but there had to be at least a minor penalty on that take down!! and porter was not in the clear so i dont believe it should have been a penalty shot but of course at the end in the heat of the moment hak and the boys had to argue for one with only a second left... good weekend. grieco is solid and very young, 17, wow. good 3 points and great PK in OT!!

and a 4-1-1 in wcha play is a great start. 9 points on top right now is very good. should make for some great practice battles with phil and grieco now that he has proven he can play in this league with a VERY good weekend vs the huskies.

Actually we had six skaters out there and the goalie. Greico figured it out and was coming off when they gave (porter I think) a chance to leave the ice. That delay IMO led the AR to kick our #1 face off guy out of the circle.

Glad you brought it up, as it appears that they were willing to punish us for too many men but not the opposing team. Can't have a sweep.

Maybe they should specifically call out that a penalty shot be awarded when a penalty prevents a scoring opportunity and not enough time remains on the game clock to allow for a reasonable power play opportunity. Say less than twenty or thirty seconds.

Not a bad idea but I doubt it will happen.

OK,

I am done with my ranting about the penalty shot. A few things from this weekend's series:

1) Sioux goaltending was terrific. I hope Greico drank free last night on his defensemen.

2) Sioux defensive corps need to have a gut check. I am usually the first person to blast Joe Finley, but he played very well this weekend. The Genoway-Bina goal was pretty, but awfully dangerous to pinch two d-men like that. The D need to play better when we have the puck deep in our own end. It appeared to me, that the SCSU forwards beat the Sioux D to the loose pucks in the corner on a very consistent basis. Play the body, play your man, and stick to sound fundamentals. Way too many odd-man ops for SCSU. Brian Lee is supposedly an elite level player, he showed flashes of it last year, he needs to show me more this year. I don't know what happened to Zach Jones, but he reverted back to how he was last year before the playoff run...God awful. The laziness to the loose pucks and the stick checking is worthy of end boards till you puke in my opinion. Win the races and lay the shoulder. Can we get Berry back?

Part B: I thought it was the Sioux D, but it might be the Sioux wingers, but we need to be able to break the puck out better. D need to be able to skate by one man, and the wingers need to be low enough to take the pass take two strides and make a pass. Get low, head up, short passes, move the puck quickly up the ice.

Part C: Forwards need to play their damn position. I never, ever want to see all three forwards down in one offensive corner again. Too much chasing the puck. SCSU's wingers did a great job at staying home, and it resulted in a couple really good opportunities.

3. PP unit 1. Alright guys, I know you're all super stars, quit playing with it and shoot the puck. We are trying to be way too pretty.

4. Line combinations. I like Porter and Oshie together. I like Toews and Duncan together. Hak has proven to be the absolute master of the late season line cohesiveness, so I will say in Dave We Trust and let that go for now.

5. Strong on the puck, only Toews and Oshie seem to have good leverage when they have the puck. Gophers have really impressed me with how strong they are on the puck this year.

6. Feet moving. Way too many passes hitting coasting players. You need to want and expect a pass at all times and be prepared to do something with it once you get it. Passes do need to be tape to tape, way too many have been off target.

We are a decent team right now. I would say that we are under achieving. The skill level on the team should be putting 4 or 5 goals in per game. Hopefully Hakstol can get the boys to peak at the right time again. Gophers are looking awfully good right now, especially considering how many freshmen are getting regular shifts. They will be dangerous in March.

Could have been called since Porter was going to be in alone, but I don't remember it being called very often in similar circumstances. No matter how many times you see it replayed, however, every Sioux fan is going to want a penalty shot, while every Huskie fan is just hoping it's not called.

That statement is accurate only if you don't count Bobby Goepfert as a Huskie fan. :blush:

It wasn't a win but I had a wonderful time last night. Just finally being back to the Ralph after several weeks in the 'boondocks' was very therapeutic. The atmosphere, the food, my first beer in weeks (numb cheeks after only a beer and a half!!!), and being with my sons and daughter-in law watching a great game was FANTASTIC!!!!!

To me, the team looked like it was really hustling, working together and trying hard not to take stupid penalities (well most of the time). Sitting where I do, it looked to me that the bounce of the puck kept this from being a 5-4 game, Huskies.

Now back to the Navajo Nation, where I have been promised to have reliable internet access waiting for me. No television yet but I may get dish, satelitte or something similiar.

Going to Anchorage next. Hope to see lots of you there.

[snip]

Ok, so I'm hard on clueless about Scanlan. Please, when he says on air that he doesn't know what qualifies for a penalty shot, you kinda start to wonder.

You didn't answer my question. Do you have any idea who Jim Scanlan is and what he has done in his life regarding hockey? :huh:

yzerman- You make a pretty good point, but I still don't think Porter should have gotten a penalty shot. The fact that Mason conferred with the AR was pretty remarkable considering the fact that Porter didn't have any seperation from Fletcher on the break at all. In the NHL, I believe the rule is that the player must have at least one full step seperation when being taken down to qualify for a penalty shot. Porter didn't have more than, perhaps, a half step. Did it prevent a scoring op? Probably. Was it a clear breakaway? No, it was not. [snip]

Did you even read the post you are replying to? Did it say anything in there about a "clear breakaway"?

The comedy in reading these game threads, especially the "recaps", could almost be enough to make a guy stay home instead of going to the games. :blush: This is good stuff!

It wasn't a win but I had a wonderful time last night. Just finally being back to the Ralph after several weeks in the 'boondocks' was very therapeutic.

I'm glad to hear that you got a Sioux hockey fix while you were back in town. What a great game to watch. I wish the outcome had been in UND's favor, but it was the kind of game that makes college hockey so great. And thanks for your service to the Navajo nation.

The comedy in reading these game threads, especially the "recaps", could almost be enough to make a guy stay home instead of going to the games. :blush: This is good stuff!

I'm thinking of taking recap writing to a whole new level. I won't attend a game. I won't watch it on TV. I won't listen to it on the radio. I won't even read the game thread here. I'll just write my recap based on what I think happened. That way, I might be able to write recaps as entertaining as rw77's. :huh:

I'm thinking of taking recap writing to a whole new level. I won't attend a game. I won't watch it on TV. I won't listen to it on the radio. I won't even read the game thread here. I'll just write my recap based on what I think happened. That way, I might be able to write recaps as entertaining as rw77's. :D

If it were only written as comedy (rw's verbosities, that is) :blush:

Sounded like from your recap Goepfert was expecting the penalty shot (and looking forward to it). Wish Mason would have obliged.

So I was looking for a box score, and the UND website didn't seem to have one up... so I thought I would check out the SCSU website. I open the article about the game (no box score) and I notice the picture that they have up... Something is wrong with Greico's jersey... LOL! Leave it to St Cloud! Don't they have anything better to care about???

SCSU article

So I was looking for a box score, and the UND website didn't seem to have one up... so I thought I would check out the SCSU website. I open the article about the game (no box score) and I notice the picture that they have up... Something is wrong with Greico's jersey... LOL! Leave it to St Cloud! Don't they have anything better to care about???

SCSU article

Simply unbelievable.

The had some big blown up pictures at their football stadium. One was a crowd shot (they were actually cheering) and as I was trying to figure out who they were playing I started seeing Sioux sweatshirts. Oddly enough, they hadn't wiped out the name.

Sounded like from your recap Goepfert was expecting the penalty shot (and looking forward to it). Wish Mason would have obliged.

I think it was more of a hope than an expectation. Of course, it's pretty easy to say you were hoping for somthing that you know didn't happen. :huh:

The high comedy of the night was Bina admitting and that it probably wasn't a great idea for he and Genoway to lead the rush into the SCSU zone when the Sioux were 4-on-4 and they were the defensive pair. And then there was Hakstol's attempt to make it out as a practiced play. :blush:

Simply unbelievable.

The had some big blown up pictures at their football stadium. One was a crowd shot (they were actually cheering) and as I was trying to figure out who they were playing I started seeing Sioux sweatshirts. Oddly enough, they hadn't wiped out the name.

Nice censoring job. The avatar could have done a better job with her Magna Doodle.

She's been brainwashed (not a bad thing :huh: )

No, I say she formed her own opinion at an early age :blush: As far as the penalty at the end of the overtime against St. Cloud, as much as I would have liked to see a penalty shot awarded to the Sioux, it wasn't a clear breakaway. Penalty......yes, penalty shot.......no.

Not sure, but the replays, to me (armchair replay official) didn't show conclusive evidence that Goepfert got hit with the puck BEFORE the puck was across the goal line.

And Siouxdonym- UND didn't get outplayed tonight as much as you think. There were times where our aggressiveness got us in trouble, sure, but we did pretty good, especially in the third period and after Porter's goal in the 2nd.

Well they initially called it a goal, so was there enough evidence to overturn it? I haven't seen any replays(yet). Also I think we were in their zone for 2/3 of the game, or so it seemed. I would give St. cloud half of the first period, other than that it was all UND. Granted we would work the zone for awhile and then the huskies would make a run down ice, but then back in the zone we would go! I dont think the shots on goal even give enough justice on how UND basically controlled the game. I think we pick a couple more corners(example. bina's goal) and St Cloud hits a couple of the open netters which they should have gotten, we would have had a 8 4 UND win

So Grieco...He made a good name for himself for his first home games? I thought so

I thought Sioux played much better Saturday night than Friday night, even though the result was different. Fewer odd man rushes. However, I too feel that the defense are playing too wishy-washy. Lackluster efforts chasing the puck behind the net, etc. That directly led to one of the St. Cloud goals (2nd one). Finley played well, and made an outstanding defensive play. I continue to be disappointed in Brian Lee's defensive play. Definitely too loose with the puck and doesn't move it forward when he should at times. Has way too many turnovers.

But a very entertaining game. And think about where we were at this time the past two seasons. If this group follows Hak's typical improvement curve, lookout by the end of the year. Sioux absolutely dominated for long stretches of the game. And Grieco continues to shine. I believe he will be one of the top goalies in the league before long.

I am neutral about cowbell man, but "Don't Fear the Reaper" is one of my top three favorite songs. The slow motion of him as "Move of the Game" was funny. And I do know people who do not like him.

It was also pointed out to me that Diggler was wearing a pink tie? I do not have confirmation of that, but I know someone was wearing one, front row student section.

Sioux-cia - Very glad to see you at the game. Didn't stop by, but I could clearly see you at the far end of the rink.

I think it was more of a hope than an expectation. Of course, it's pretty easy to say you were hoping for somthing that you know didn't happen. :D

The high comedy of the night was Bina admitting and that it probably wasn't a great idea for he and Genoway to lead the rush into the SCSU zone when the Sioux were 4-on-4 and they were the defensive pair. And then there was Hakstol's attempt to make it out as a practiced play. :blush:

Robbie mentioned on the post-game interview with Sweeney that they had worked on it in practice, but yet, it was something they probably should have done. Good thing it worked out for the best. :huh:

very pumped that he Bina got his goal, and a damn fine looking one too!

Thank god theres no hockey over deer opener next weekend. Driving back and forth for the wisconsin game last year was kinda crappy, but I wouldn't miss it for the world. So will Lammy get the start next game?

If we were all tired before ? we woke up the third period & the OT was Intense & Electrified - People were slow to leave, even when it was over ..........we all wanted more :huh::blush: You just can't bottle or Fake that kind of emotion :D If you could, it might Kill a few of us ;):D