SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Name Issues Send Student Packing.

Goon

For one side of the issue AISS can do "one-stop shopping" for you by pointing you to their favorite website. :whistling:

Where you'll struggle is finding out about things like Mr. Lapointe's behavior here. That's not as interesting to the media (for whatever reason).

My point of view on digging for truth comes from a quote by Dr. Kupchella to US College Hockey Online:

I think this is one of those classic issues that it's kind of not altogether bad to have it to sharpen minds on.

Where's the boundary between social justice and political correctness? There are fundamental questions here such as: How big an opposition group you need before you change something? When does the majority not have control even when it's so large? These are some fundamental, interesting issues. ...

Hey, we're educating students about how to deal with a world that gets kind of fuzzy around the edges, and not all the answers are clear. There are good people with good arguments on both sides of almost anything you call an issue.

So it's not bad at all that we together get to spend some time on this one.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sioux-cia,

Just curious as to where you are working?

I'm working on the Navajo Nation reservation. The community I'm working in has a clinic and an emergency room. I'm in the ER. Unemployement is 75% in this community that should tell you something. Great people though. I'm being treated really well by the community, patient's and staff. I may extend my stay.

my mistake. my apologies. I misread it obviously. I seen that the person stated they're flying into Grand Forks, etc.

If light needs to be shed on Mr. LaPointe's behavior, perhaps drop the papers off with various students and alumni at American Indian Student Services. But then I'd start looking into other people that have done wrong in the matter of UND nickname on the opposing and defensive sides of the issue, and hand those out too.

I'd be interested in knowing if there is any documented cases within the past 7 years (meaning beginning of the 1999-2000 school year) that show proof that it causes a harrassing atmosphere?

Some things in this regard:

Point 1: Documented means UND Police, GF Police, or some official organization such as the UND Housing Office people (or wherever Sioux-cia was sent to report things) have an OFFICIAL complaint somewhere in their files. It doesn't mean convictions or even arrests, but complaints.

Point 2: The argument seems to take on a different form entirely. Some people are claiming they are being harrassed because they want the nickname changed. This is being confused with being harrassed because you are Native American. Lately, they are being used to mean the same thing. Sorry, folks, that isn't kosher. These types of reports don't count.

Point 3: What it is coming down to is heresay. He said she said in other words. What does that mean, in essence? I could claim that Person X beat the junk out of me one autumn day for whatever reason and I could claim it was because I was Jewish. Whose to say I'm telling the truth? Then again, who's to say I'm lying? There's no definitive proof. That's why Point 1 exists.

Heresay is irrelevant. And so are the excuses people could give for NOT reporting the incidents to the authorities. Idealistically, a crime is a crime, but in today's world, a crime is only a crime if you are caught or it is reported, and if the crime is severe enough, tried and convicted.

That's the only proof that matters. The rest is just, for all extensive purposes, fantasy.

I would have to check, but I believe that they wouldn't put it in the paper because it would possibly fall under against their code of ethics. They have one that each editor adds to. I don't have it in front of me, but I can check tomorrow. I only have it due to my position as chair of the Board of Student Publications which oversees the DS as publisher.

I'm working on the Navajo Nation reservation. The community I'm working in has a clinic and an emergency room. I'm in the ER. Unemployement is 75% in this community that should tell you something. Great people though. I'm being treated really well by the community, patient's and staff. I may extend my stay.

Cool. I have a good friend from High School(Bismarck High) and College(UND) who works at Pinon High School. I think he teaches art and is the wrestling coach there. He also has a nursing degree and went there to make a difference. Great guy with very interesting takes on life.

CSTV's Elliot Olshansky weighs in on Gary LaPoint's decision in his column this week.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK AND WHAT IT MEANS

- "I have tried for years to educate people on the issue and do it (in) a positive way, but I can no longer fund this institution with my tuition." Gary LaPointe, in a letter to student government leaders and University of North Dakota administrators, on resigning his student senate position and withdrawing from UND's business school.

It's unfortunate that Mr. LaPointe decided to leave school, because he has a lot to learn.

It's fine to support the Sioux tribes that oppose the use of the "Fighting Sioux" name and logo, even noble. However, doing so at the expense of one's own education is foolhardy at best, especially here. After all, with his business school education at UND, Mr. LaPointe might become a wealthy and powerful alumnus, which would give him more power to influence school policy than denying the university his tuition.

http://www.dakotastudent.com/media/storage...mp;mkey=2468513

It almost makes me physically ill to read that people actually believe that GK quit school in protest of the school's name and logo. Because the University has a strict policy protecting students' privacy, they cannot disclose the REAL reason he dropped out of school. In my heart of heart's, I truly believe he would have flunked out if he had not dropped out. That, of course, is my own personal opinion. You all know what my opinion of GK is, so take it with a grain of salt. :whistling:

It makes me even sicker to read the editorial that is to come out in Friday's issue. They take some of the quotes made towards the original article on the DS site and use them to show how abusive the school is. While some of the comments are over the top, it can't be proven that they were from name supporters. It would be quite easy for a nickname activist to post anti-Gary comments on the site and then let the DS use them to prove that everyone else is hostile.

The Dakota Student is a joke in any way, shape, or form!

In regard to the Sioux Logo and nick name I recently did a short research paper on the subject for my writing class. It is kind of long but I thought I would share it with you all.

University of North Dakota Fighting Soux Logo

As long as I can remember I have been a fan of the University of North Fighting Hockey Team. Growing up in Grand Forks North Dakota pretty much makes that a given. After all when I was growing up there wasn

You're going to find ignorance everywhere, that's why people need to educate each other.

It's hard to educate people when they don't want to learn. Such as the comments stated by Snake... Free education? I really want my money back if that was the case.

Many people try to educate, hold discussion groups, etc... but then you just get passerbys that yell things or turn their nose up in the air instead of lending an ear.

I've listened to both sides, and was on the side of the supporters for a very very long time. It just stopped making sense.

I don't think it is right that people will look up Native American student services on any academic level, elementary level especially, to challenge that person about the nickname, not even knowing those people and where they stand.

I've sat in on meetings before, and maybe one or two people supporting the nickname, came to sit and listen, and truly listen to why people are uncomfortable with the nickname. Those people I applaud, because they actually did want to learn. And that is just what they did. And in a respectable manner.

It's hard to educate people when they don't want to learn. Such as the comments stated by Snake... Free education? I really want my money back if that was the case.

Many people try to educate, hold discussion groups, etc... but then you just get passerbys that yell things or turn their nose up in the air instead of lending an ear.

I've listened to both sides, and was on the side of the supporters for a very very long time. It just stopped making sense.

I don't think it is right that people will look up Native American student services on any academic level, elementary level especially, to challenge that person about the nickname, not even knowing those people and where they stand.

I've sat in on meetings before, and maybe one or two people supporting the nickname, came to sit and listen, and truly listen to why people are uncomfortable with the nickname. Those people I applaud, because they actually did want to learn. And that is just what they did. And in a respectable manner.

I have attended many of these "group discussions" over the years. I must say that these were usually just rally parties for the anti-namers. I never felt that my opinion was appreciated or even welcomed. Just my feelings.

Gary has managed to sink lower than the snake belly he passed last spring. (posted in DS) Strangly, I'm not surprised.

g lapointe

posted 11/02/06 @ 11:23 PM EST

Wow, again the beloved siouxsports posse is out for another lynching. First of all, these allegations are just that, allegations. Before you complain to me about some illegal activity, I pray to god you can prove it. Of course you can't, but you and your siouxsports siouxdog eatin, H-Sioux-O drinking, Siouxvenier wearing people go ahead and put me down if it makes you feel better. For all I know, Jo, you or patrick could have tapped into our unsecure wireless internet (we have since rectified that, but not at that time). The next thing you know you'll be blaming me for Ralph's death.

Gary has managed to sink lower than the snake belly he passed last spring. (posted in DS) Strangly, I'm not surprised.

Yes he has and, no, I'm not surprised either. He's not only delusional, he's a liar as well. I'm glad the Dakota Student has seen fit to nominate this "wonderful person" for sainthood. :whistling:

Yes he has and, no, I'm not surprised either. He's not only delusional, he's a liar as well. I'm glad the Dakota Student has seen fit to nominate this "wonderful person" for sainthood. :whistling:

For some reason they made a Martyr out of him. I mean really lets not put the facts on the table. Then our new found martyr lies through his teeth. Wasn't me. No did do it. Of course a few of his minions go on and believe every word he says as if God dictated them to moses and then carried them off the mount.

Dear Gary (and willing accomplices of all sort),

Although your timing of this spectacle was near perfect (last day to drop and the week before the hearing for preliminary injunction), your public, education-self-immolation will have a total meaning of zero in the matter of "State of ND (et al) v. NCAA."

Unfortunately the debate brings out a lot of bad on all sides when a person is really passionate about it. Every person confronts the situation differently, and I'm sure there's never a right way. It's all a very unfortunate situation, but if perhaps we displayed more sensitivity to the issue and to those who oppose it, a more civil way of coming up with a decision on the matter can happen.

undsportsfan:

While I am often skeptical of a new poster on this site, thanks for coming.

A couple of points:

There have been extremely civil ways in which a decision has been made on this matter: state appointed officials have said the name stays. That decision, by definition, was civil. The civil way to respond is in the voting booth: make it an issue for your state officials.

The NCAA has taken the opposite approach: incivility. They corrupted their own rules, an act of incivility in itself, for their version of creating "greater good". The State of North Dakota reacts with an act of civility: a lawsuit is a major avenue of how this civilization deals with conflict.

As far as sensitivity, a basic accusation that nickname opponents make is that nickname supporters are racist. Reasonable people see those accusations as being more than insensitive.