SiouxSports.com Forum

vs. Duluth

Smoggy

mankato at the 23 yard line, down by one (39-38), with 19 secs on the clock

1st down at the 15, ball spiked with 9 ticks left. FG unit on.

32 yd FG attempt............TO SD

Fake FG, wide open receiver, but incomplete. Now, another FG attempt

Another SD TO

FG hits the upright and comes back, flag on the play, 5 yd penalty on Kato, another FG attempt from 37 coming.

Kick blocked, but Mankato picked up the ball and scored, Mavs win 44-39

Can you believe that ending?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Belmore played well and everything, but I find it very disappointing that Freund didn't get to take even one snap today despite a 35-0 lead early in the second quarter. With Manke banged-up, we're basically one big hit on Belmore away from HAVING to play Freund. I don't see us blowing out SCSU next week on the road, and then it's USD (and hopefully the playoffs), so I can't see Freund having a chance to play at all this year barring the aforementioned worst-case scenario. I just hope this doesn't come back to haunt us next year when Freund will probably be counted on to run the offense with no game experience to speak of.

Does anyone else think it looks rather empty in the Al today?

It was a disappointing crowd, only 8,009 in attendance.

I thought the Al looked empty before, but there is hardly anyone left there at all. The entire student section is gone.

It really thinned out at halftime. The atmosphere was loud and fantastic during the first half but very dead in the second half with a 35-0 lead. Can't figure out why such a small crowd this weekend when averaging over 10,000 before this game. Will probably be worse against USD as it is the opening weekend of deer hunting. Hopefully the implications of that game will help to prove me wrong.

As for this game, the running game looked very good, Strouth, Chappel, and Beatty all ran well. Belmore had his best game since early in the 2005 season, that was nice to see. His deep throws looked very nice. Dressler, what can I say, he is awesome. Defense played well, got after the QB all day. A couple mistakes made my the secondary was the biggest problem. Lately, Hoffschneider has been good for one stupid penalty per game.

Can't figure out Bubba's program. Throwing the ball all day and connecting on big plays is fun and exciting but you have to have some type of running game don't you. At least attempt to run the ball to keep the defense honest. I wonder why he allows his OC to run the offense that way. It is kind of like watching a basketball team that lives and dies by the 3-pointer.

Boy I guess my prediction of "UMD in an upset by 3" really went in the crapper, oh, 8 minutes in :angry:

I just don't get why UMD feels the need to pass constantly....get a run game going and chew up the clock and keep your defence off the field

I just don't get why UMD feels the need to pass constantly....get a run game going and chew up the clock and keep your defence off the field

The Dogs actually had some success in the second half when they started mixing in some running plays. But maybe that was just because by that point in the game, UND had no reason to play the run.

It was a disappointing crowd, only 8,009 in attendance.

It really thinned out at halftime. The atmosphere was loud and fantastic during the first half but very dead in the second half with a 35-0 lead. Can't figure out why such a small crowd this weekend when averaging over 10,000 before this game. Will probably be worse against USD as it is the opening weekend of deer hunting. Hopefully the implications of that game will help to prove me wrong.

On TV? PCM had a cold?

Belmore did pretty good today, I was hoping that Freund would get to play after the first half,but why change what was working. I was surprised that UMD didn't switch quarterbacks though.

I agree that Belmore had a good day - it's a relief to see him perform well. For the life of me, though, I just don't get the handling of the quarterback situation. We have had many opportunities to play Freund and don't seem to be interested at all in giving next year's quarterback any snaps this year. It seems to be all about Belmore - how to build his confidence - how to get him into the game - never replacing him with Freund when he played poorly. It took an extremely long time for us to give Manke his shot. We seem to be focused on Belmore to the exclusion of everything else. Why Freund has never been given any snaps seems to defy logic. I hope we are not sorry later. What could the coaches possibly know that we average fans do not? Any guesses as to their thinking?

It was probably the best start I have seen the Sioux have in the last few years. I don't think the offensive stagnation had anything to do with Belmore. In the 2nd we had 4th and less than 1 twice about about the UMD 40 and punted both times. We also had another 4th and about 3 and punted. I think it was another classic case of Mussman playing not to lose instead of putting the nail in the coffin. I am not concerned about playing Freund just yet......My gut tells me that they will be opting for a freshman or sophmore next year (Landry or Konrath) instead of Freund. Why else would they not be playing him? I really expect the musical QB game to get worse next year. IMHO that should lead to an unemployment check for Mussman.

Lets see Coach Mussman unemployed, read this....

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/footba...?PLAYER_ID=4121

not to mention what in his 6 years as OC, lets see 2 trips to the finals, 1 semi-final, and 1 qtr final apperances....

and oh yea 1 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP..

Some of you guys ever even play..? or watch football.?

unbelievable...

not to mention what in his 6 years as OC, lets see 2 trips to the finals, 1 semi-final, and 1 qtr final apperances....

unbelievable...

I am just of the opinion that if it were not for our Defense being that dang good that we would have been a much different team in those six years. (Obvious statement I know). We have won numerous games just because of our defense, however I really don't remember too many times that we won a game just because of our offense. And yes I did play football, and yes I do watch football.

unbelievable...

No need to get insulting

I'm with Sioux 27 (by the way I played football also)

There are many factors that go into a successful program including recruiting, motivation, conditioning, game preparation, offensive and defensive philosophy - and many more. The Sioux have done extremely well at many of these over the past few years. This is a credit to the coaching staff. If we have one weakness, it is with the overly cautious and conservative (at times) offensive philosophy and poor play selection. In just about every loss recently, this has been glaring. It can be very frustrating to watch the Sioux go into conservative mode on offense and stop trying to make things happen. They play not to lose instead of playing to win. Many fans who are loyal to the Sioux feel the same and should be allowed to express this on this forum. Figuring out where we could pin them back to if we punted is not an offensive philosophy that will consintantly win against good teams. We could do better.

I think it was another classic case of Mussman playing not to lose instead of putting the nail in the coffin.

Do you really think Mussnan is the coach that decides if UND should go for it on 4th down? I understand everyone loves Coach Lennon, but it's not fair to put his decisions on other coaches. Not to mention it is the correct call to punt on 4th and short with a big lead in the ball game.

My opinion is the UND players got comfortable with a big lead at the half and had an obvious let up in the 2nd half of the game.

unbelievable...

The funny thing to me is that most of the stuff people blame on Mussman isn't even his doing. I am sure the football philosophy of the team and how the offense is run has nothing to do with the head coach ;)

I am just of the opinion that if it were not for our Defense being that dang good that we would have been a much different team in those six years. (Obvious statement I know). We have won numerous games just because of our defense, however I really don't remember too many times that we won a game just because of our offense. And yes I did play football, and yes I do watch football.

Because that's how Coach Lennon has set the team up. The offense isn't wide open like Augie because UND wants to control the ball, play field position, and have the defense dominate. If you have a problem with the offense some blame can be pushed to Mussman, but he is only doing the job the head coach wants him to do. If that wasn't the case I am sure he would have been replaced long ago.

No need to get insulting

I'm with Sioux 27 (by the way I played football also)

There are many factors that go into a successful program including recruiting, motivation, conditioning, game preparation, offensive and defensive philosophy - and many more. The Sioux have done extremely well at many of these over the past few years. This is a credit to the coaching staff. If we have one weakness, it is with the overly cautious and conservative (at times) offensive philosophy and poor play selection. In just about every loss recently, this has been glaring. It can be very frustrating to watch the Sioux go into conservative mode on offense and stop trying to make things happen. They play not to lose instead of playing to win. Many fans who are loyal to the Sioux feel the same and should be allowed to express this on this forum. Figuring out where we could pin them back to if we punted is not an offensive philosophy that will consintantly win against good teams. We could do better.

It seems most people like yourself just can't see the big picture. If you don't like the play calling during a game look to Mussman, but remember he is doing his job trying to run a ball control offense which is the offensive philosophy that fits into Coach Lennons Overall football philosophy. Many try to blame Mussman for UND offensive philosophy but really you should be looking at Lennon instead.