SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Fight

driscol

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PCM and I may disagree somewhat on this subject, but he's made some solid points and he shouldn't be told not to comment.

Actually, I think both Daiakia and PCM have made very valid points. Both have expressed themselves very well and, though I cannot find a reason to agree with Daiakia, I think he's done a better job of expressing the opposing opinion than many who have tried (in various subjects) in the past.

Did Daia get my anger flowing? At times he did. But I think, overall, it's a quality debate.

That being said, I STILL agree with PCM.

PCM could be right, we don't know, and never will unless the NHL takes a trial period to totally eliminate fighting from the game. I stated earlier that 87% of fans continue to want fighting. No where in those numbers did it say that the entire 87% would quit watching the game if fighting was taken out.

I was going to bow out of this, but because people are still responding to points I made, I'll say a bit more. Asking current NHL fans whether they favor fighting in the game is a bit like asking those at the 9 a.m. church service if they like going to church at 9 a.m. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't be there. It doesn't tell you anything about how many more people might potentially attend a 10 a.m. service.

If the church is just fine with the number of people attending the early service, then there is no need to attract more people. But if the church is only half full and hurting for revenue, there might be some value in exploring the idea of a later service.

What's interesting to me about this discussion is that I've proposed what I think is a very reasonable solution to cope with the problem of cheap shots in hockey. I thought perhaps that it would get some to see that there were other options besides fighting, but nobody seems to be interested in discussing that possibility.

The way the game is played is up to the players, coaches, and leagues. It is their sport, if fans enjoy it so be it. But outsider's should not be allowed to tell the insiders how to play the game. If that makes sense.

C'mon, that's not a reasonable response. Hockey isn't played in a vacuum and nobody here is telling you how to play it. Professional sports wouldn't exist without fan support. Different sports constantly tinker with the rules in efforts to attract more fans or keep existing fans happy. Leagues also change rules to make games more fair and more safe. Professional sports ignore fan input at their peril.

Asking current NHL fans whether they favor fighting in the game is a bit like asking those at the 9 a.m. church service if they like going to church at 9 a.m. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't be there. It doesn't tell you anything about how many more people might potentially attend a 10 a.m. service.

If the church is just fine with the number of people attending the early service, then there is no need to attract more people. But if the church is only half full and hurting for revenue, there might be some value in exploring the idea of a later service.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, PCM, now I'm totally confused. Are you saying that the NHL should consider playing hockey games at 10:00 am on Sunday mornings? :whistling:

Speaking of fighting, I feel like duking it out right now with someone. A few weeks ago, Comcast bought out Time Warner Cable and I suddenly was enjoying the NHL Center Ice package to the tune of up to six games a night. I sat down on my couch a few minutes ago and turned on Channel 862 only to see the words "YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO VIEW THIS CHANNEL." ;):whistling::lol: I guess all good things must come to an end.

Speaking of fighting, I feel like duking it out right now with someone. A few weeks ago, Comcast bought out Time Warner Cable and I suddenly was enjoying the NHL Center Ice package to the tune of up to six games a night. I sat down on my couch a few minutes ago and turned on Channel 862 only to see the words "YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO VIEW THIS CHANNEL." ;):whistling::lol: I guess all good things must come to an end.

I felt the same pain last night. Nothing was better than waiting till the third period and watching the end of every close game. They almost hooked me into forking over the dough.

Hockey from like 600pm till almost midnight, just about every night except like on Sundays.

Well worth the 140.00 bucks it costs.

I felt the same pain last night. Nothing was better than waiting till the third period and watching the end of every close game. They almost hooked me into forking over the dough.

:lol: I almost forgot, Smoggy, you're right up the block from me so you were enjoying the same gig. The "VS" network has done a good job of covering games, but, seriously, the Flyers/Blackhawks? What a couple of slug teams. Flip over to 860+ and I'm watching the Thrashers and Maple Leafs go back and forth like a bunch of speed demons. I sulked last night by watching VH1 and the Top 100 Songs of the 1980's. ???

PCM Yesterday, 06:47 PM Post #221

C'mon, that's not a reasonable response. Hockey isn't played in a vacuum and nobody here is telling you how to play it. Professional sports wouldn't exist without fan support. Different sports constantly tinker with the rules in efforts to attract more fans or keep existing fans happy. Leagues also change rules to make games more fair and more safe. Professional sports ignore fan input at their peril.

I completely understand what your saying, you have actually made a lot of good points. I hope I haven't come across as unreceptive or above your opinion, Triouxper is a whole other story mind you.

You are right that the NHL has to try to attract the marginal fanbase, but they also cannot turn their backs on the 87% of current fans. It can be inferred that if 87% of the current fans are in favor of fighting, that it is not something that keeps marginal fans from watching.

I'd also think that if fighting is going to keep those 'fans' from watching, the hitting and inherent physicality of the game will be as much of a turn off for them. Not to mention look at the UFC, and how popular ultimate fighting has become. Granted we don't want a bunch of Vegas wannabe's running around the arena's, but at the same time do we want a bunch of marginal, uneducated hockey fans who would be better off watching women's hockey?

Leagues do constantly change the rules of their sport, but they should not change something that will attract only a small group of fans at the expense of the current fan base. That would be selling out.

There are many many things that the NHL can and should do to attract more fans, but I have never heard someone say that they don't watch the game because of the fighting. Most of the time its because they don't understand what's going on, or have never been to a game.

I never said I didn't agree with him. I take exception to the way he has lumped every fan on this board, and every fan at Englestad Arena as "stupid" or not being able to understand the game of hockey because they have never played it. He cast the first stone. If he doesn't like it maybe he should have thought about what he was saying before he said it. Aside from all of that, I'm an infantile, venom spewing bastard, it really should come as no suprise to any one.

You won't get an argument there, I just thought fellow Sioux fans are more classy than calling someone names on this board.

Not this fan. I have no class. However, it does seem rather strange that you give him a pass for insulting the entire fan base as a whole as being stupid.

THETRIOUXPER Today, 10:30 AM Post #231

I never said I didn't agree with him. I take exception to the way he has lumped every fan on this board, and every fan at Englestad Arena as "stupid" or not being able to understand the game of hockey because they have never played it. He cast the first stone. If he doesn't like it maybe he should have thought about what he was saying before he said it.

Actually, I lumped YOU into that category. I'd assume most people around here are knowledgable fans who enjoy the game and understand what is going on. But if you can go to a game at Engelstad and not realize that 50% of that crowd has no clue what's going on with the game, or how they have ruined the atmosphere of UND hockey, I feel sorry for you.

I hated sitting at the Canadian World Junior games because it made me realize what that arena really could be like. Loud, rowdy, a real hockey atmosphere like the old Englestad. So sorry, I have a chip on my shoulder because of how money talks more than the people that matter at that arena.

I never said anyone was 'stupid or unable to understand the game' if they have never played, I did not intend that. What I did, and still do, intend to say is that if you have never played the game I do not expect you to understand the unwritten rules of the game as they work on the ice. Nice attempt to get everyone on your side though.

Oh boy, dickzero is back. I guess I'm a whole other story because I treated you just like you treated alot of other people, you still don't get it.

Actually, T-bone, I do get it. You're pissed because you got on the otherside of the argument and had nothing good to say, so you had to resort to grammar correction, and personal insults. I understand perfectly.

Aside from all of that, I'm an infantile, venom spewing bastard, it really should come as no suprise to any one.

I wouldn't call it venom, Triouxper, more like weaksauce... Infantile I can completely agree with however.