SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux / Badgers

GBpakrzz

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually talking to redwing77; but that's okay. It's good we can have fun on siouxsports.com after a tough road loss.

After all, it's only October! :lol:

exactly, GOTTA HAVE FUN...............god i love sioux hockey

good night to all

headin out on the town ;)

Wow. A solid performance by the Kelly Green this weekend. Wonderful intensity and grit by both teams. Wisco fans definitely know how to bring it. This was just great college hockey, even if a little light on the O. Leaving that arena with 2pts is fine by me.

I'm very impressed with the Sioux thus far. They have an exciting scoring line, solid D and goaltending, and they are incredibly fast. The speed is back, baybay. I think this year will bring some exciting, high-flying hockey to the Ralph.

Toews, Oshie, Duncan, Zajac, Porter, Lee, Lammy... this team is going to be something special.

taz

I did not think that Lammy was run over on that goal. He did get knocked down but I thought it was incidental, and possibly even caused by our own guy coming back to help out.

While Finley made a terrible mistake with that puck, that wasn't the ONLY mistake on that play, IMO. At least Jones and Porter appeared to forget to close the back door. Every Sioux player came to the net, looking forward, and no one checked behind them. What happened? The puck bounced between Jones' legs and Dowell walked through the back door and put it home. Both Jones and Porter could have worried about clearing opponents away from the crease instead of looking for the puck, and if they had, the puck there would have been no one to swat it in. Bucky did that all night, and the Sioux failed on that play.

IMO, overall, I think Finley played a fairly good game. That was one bad mistake, however.

I thought Lee and Chorney both had good games. It does appear that Lee is playing with more confidence and playing more physical.

I thought VandeVelde looked better than what I saw last Friday. He took a bad penalty but it was an aggressive penalty at least. He looked ok out there I thought, except for face-offs.

We could have used to win a few more face-offs overall tonite.

Did anyone else think that Watkins was tackled on his effort. It looked that way to me. I think the refs were letting them play both ways, but that one hurt. The Sioux appeared to get away with a couple of offsides calls, IMO, and Bucky got that one.

Speaking of Watkins, on that attempt I sure thought that looked like Oshie until I saw the # on his back. That was an outstanding effort. I thought he had a good game.

The DOT line looked very good. Toews was a man among boys at times. The one time he falls down with the puck, why did it have to be after picking up the loose puck on that PK?

Did anyone else think Oshie should have passed to Toews on his waived off goal? Before you call "hind-sight" on me I was saying this even when we believed that had been called a goal. Give Oshie credit, it was an incredible effort and attempt that could very well have counted with just a bit more luck, but it appeared he knew Toews as open and had a step on his man, but kept the puck. Now, maybe he felt that the passing lane to Toews was closed, or he was hearing "one-to-many-passes" in his head, so I'll give him credit for that. I just wonder if anyone else thought he took the 2nd best option that time.

Duncan was really throwing the body around out there.

There didn't appear to be much love lost between these teams. The rivalry could be heating up.

If Elliot isn't the #1 star, who is? Bucky played very strong team defense that limited the Sioux's chances. But do you single any one of them out? They didn't create many offensive chances either. Who do you pick. The most obvious member of the defense is the last man standing, the goalie, in a shut-out situation. I wouldn't have any issue with that. The man got the job done.

Lammy deserved better than he got tonite. He's playing very well. Hopefully the team will give him some cushion in future games.

I'm very disappointed to have lost this game. With perspective I have to remember that coming into the weekend I would have been happy with a split. But I feel like we took the tougher game of the weekend last night. Tonite more cards were stacked in our favor and we didn't get it done. These could be 2 important points. There's time to recover them, so all is not lost. It just would have been nice to really strike a blow against Bucky at this point.

Overall, I was happy that the team seemed to play very hard with a lot of grit in both games. They seemed to come a bit unglued in the last few minutes tonite. Hopefully there was something to learn that will benefit them in later games.

Going into the weekend, I was thinking I would be happy if the Sioux came away with two points. And I am, but I think that they gave away a golden opportunity tonight, and it has nothing to do with Finley's oops. The team played with intensity, but not with intelligence. Way too many times the breakout passes went to guys who were covered and resulted in a turnover at center ice. We did not hit a hot goaltender. Elliot is a good goaltender, but with very few exceptions tonight the Sioux were taking shots from the perimeter, with no one in front of the goal. A goalie like Elliot will make those easy stops without being hot. The goals last night involved some crashing the net and guys in front. Didn't see much of that tonight. I thought that the defense played better tonight, with the exception of many breakouts. Lammy played very well, and I thought the goal could have been waived off because he was taken down. The only question was the Sioux player sliding on the ice knocking down the Badger player who slid into Lammy. I believe what we saw tonight was an early season game, characterized by inconsistency (not lack of effort). Something that we should expect for a while. This team shows a lot of promise, but it is going to take a while for it come together on a consistent basis

The Sioux will face another big test, with a big goalie and a good team this next weekend.

The DOT line looked very good. Toews was a man among boys at times. The one time he falls down with the puck, why did it have to be after picking up the loose puck on that PK?

Toews is the more highly rated player and gets most of the press, but I've long thought Oshie was a superior player. I'm sure many will disagree. Just an opinion.

Hey I have a question we were at the game, but should that goal by the Badgers have counted? I think thery ran over Lammy and it should not have counted.

Thanks

It counted. Wisco won 1-0.

Actually, I thought maybe a no-goal since it looked to me like the puck came out of the crease before it was shot back in the net. I honestly do not understand the rules of goaltender interference. The crease is too big anyway. So's the net. And the damn ice is too cold. Can't they warm that up some? And, how 'bout the chicks? Where were they? No chicks; absolutely none on the ice. Nope. And, what the heck kind of a nuke yields barely a kiloton? I f@rt nearly that much after a six of Leinie's. Phew! Did they forget to put in the fissionable material? I mean, it's not like this hasn't been done before, like over 60 years ago. I say the Bison win next weekend at the MetroDome because that Gopher football team is absolutely aweful. Build their new stadium in Hibbing. And, who gives a soft turd about Madonna's child theft? I had a thin crust Old Chicago this evening and it's wanting out. Why does Time magazine have a picture of an elephant's a$$ on the front cover? The giddyness of the media is too much for me to bear. And, that "V for Vendetta" flick really really sucked. Portman just ain't happening with Taz. "United 93" is much better, if ya like being angry for several days afterward. Why oh why can't Northwest just fold. Just fold already for god's sake. Sell the planes to Sun Country, who actually likes the customer-- and has attendants under the age of 60. Mostly female too. Not that there's anything wrong with being a male stewardess. Someone has to sneak up on the terrorists from behind.

taz

If Elliot isn't the #1 star, who is? Bucky played very strong team defense that limited the Sioux's chances. But do you single any one of them out? They didn't create many offensive chances either. Who do you pick. The most obvious member of the defense is the last man standing, the goalie, in a shut-out situation. I wouldn't have any issue with that. The man got the job done.

Hmm, maybe the guy who scored the lone goal in the game (Jake Dowell)? That is who FSN picked. Without that goal, the game likely ends in a 0-0 tie (yawn) and we get out of there with 3 points on the weekend instead of just 2. It's pretty easy for a player like Elliot to "get the job done" when most of his saves were shots from the point or the face-off circles. Goalies at this level will stop those shots 99% of the time. The difference in the game was the turnover by Finley and the Badger player who was there to put it in. But I am sure that Brad Schlossman won't agree with that assessment. :)

Oh well, time to move on to Maine at the Ralph next weekend. Another tough series, with Pairwise Ranking implications.

Hmm, maybe the guy who scored the lone goal in the game (Jake Dowell)? That is who FSN picked. Without that goal, the game likely ends in a 0-0 tie (yawn) and we get out of there with 3 points on the weekend instead of just 2. It's pretty easy for a player like Elliot to "get the job done" when most of his saves were shots from the point or the face-off circles. Goalies at this level will stop those shots 99% of the time. The difference in the game was the turnover by Finley and the Badger player who was there to put it in. But I am sure that Brad Schlossman won't agree with that assessment. :)

Oh well, time to move on to Maine at the Ralph next weekend. Another tough series, with Pairwise Ranking implications.

Not saying he Dowell couldn't have been picked. I just don't think it's automatic that Elliot couldn't be as well.

Siouxman, I agree. I thought there were too many passes to men who had Badgers all around them.

Not saying he Dowell couldn't have been picked. I just don't think it's automatic that Elliot couldn't be as well.

Siouxman, I agree. I thought there were too many passes to men who had Badgers all around them.

Fair enough on player of the game.

I also think there was too much passing tonight (and even Friday) and not enough shooting. Being a puck hog is bad. Being too unselfish is almost worse sometimes.

I went to both games this weekend and just returned. We have a team this year. We should've won Saturday. We outplayed them and looked like the better team. Elliott played a good game. He got lucky but he was solid.

I think UND fans posting here need to stop talking about how great the Badger fans are and get your asses in gear at the Ralph. I am living in the Chicago area and try to get up to the Kohl whenever we are playing there and am always amazed by the atmosphere. Seriously, what would it take to change things at the Ralph? I lived in TX a few years ago and went to an A&M bonfire where I learned that the A&M fans get together on Friday nights for Cheer Practice. The campus wreaked of school pride. Badgers are stiff Norweigens too right?? I wish I were in GF to help out. Get it going guys. Make the fans of other teams talk about how amazing the Sioux fans are, etc... or I guess we can just keep talking about the Badger fans........

Speaking of Badger fans, I had a group yelling at me saying NORTH DAKOTA.......SUCKS over and over again. When they were done, shortly after all the fans were saying Racist Mascot and Sue is a womans name I yelled back and said, you are Hostile and Abusive fans. I felt pretty good about it and they actually laughed with me when I said it! :-) I wish I had more Sioux fans with me so we could have responded to the Racist Mascot chants with NCAA Appeasers chants or something like that. Maybe we need to throw red paint on them like PETA does to people who wear fur in public? That might be pretty funny actually for Badger and Gopher and other animal named teams for that matter! They are abusing poor Bucky. Bucky's face looks much more Hostile than our Sioux logo.

During the Saturday game the fans started with the Sioux is a womans name and then later started saying Sioux is a whore. If I would've had more support I was thinking we could've said Just like your mom or Your Mom's Name Must be Sue back to them or something....?

Ah well, would you guys figure out a way to get the entire Ralph cheering in unison? C'mon, get it goin!

Sioux are looking like heaven in 2006-2007!!!

So what do you guys think? Genoway as forward or defense? I noticed on Friday night he started the game as defense and then moved to forward... I'm not sure but I think he was playing just forward tonight. Anyone with more insight?

I don't claim insight. I'm just an amateur who never played (much) hockey anyway.

I think Genoway is a Talent with a capital T. Fluid fast skater, excellent hands. He should be dressed for every game.

OTOH, I also think playing D in the WCHA is Dang Tough, and putting him in vs. Wisconsin would not really be fair, and besides we have 5 players ranging from all-stars to really good in front of him. AND, with 2 guys nursing injuries (Finley and Jones) having him in the lineup is like suiting an extra D.

I might look for Genoway to play D against lesser teams and at home, and play forward on the road ...

I think UND fans posting here need to stop talking about how great the Badger fans are and get your asses in gear at the Ralph. I am living in the Chicago area and try to get up to the Kohl whenever we are playing there and am always amazed by the atmosphere. Seriously, what would it take to change things at the Ralph? I lived in TX a few years ago and went to an A&M bonfire where I learned that the A&M fans get together on Friday nights for Cheer Practice. The campus wreaked of school pride. Badgers are stiff Norweigens too right?? I wish I were in GF to help out. Get it going guys. Make the fans of other teams talk about how amazing the Sioux fans are, etc... or I guess we can just keep talking about the Badger fans........

Speaking of Badger fans, I had a group yelling at me saying NORTH DAKOTA.......SUCKS over and over again. When they were done, shortly after all the fans were saying Racist Mascot and Sue is a womans name I yelled back and said, you are Hostile and Abusive fans. I felt pretty good about it and they actually laughed with me when I said it! :-) I wish I had more Sioux fans with me so we could have responded to the Racist Mascot chants with NCAA Appeasers chants or something like that. Maybe we need to throw red paint on them like PETA does to people who wear fur in public? That might be pretty funny actually for Badger and Gopher and other animal named teams for that matter! They are abusing poor Bucky. Bucky's face looks much more Hostile than our Sioux logo.

During the Saturday game the fans started with the Sioux is a womans name and then later started saying Sioux is a whore. If I would've had more support I was thinking we could've said Just like your mom or Your Mom's Name Must be Sue back to them or something....?

Ah well, would you guys figure out a way to get the entire Ralph cheering in unison? C'mon, get it goin!

We try, trust me we try. it is hard though when you get some people who use the game as more of a social thing, then being there for the game. I do agree though, we need to work together to make a great atmosphere.

That's what happens when corporate sponsors buy a vast portion of the tix at an arena and only a few show up. The arena turns into a big morgue especially one as huge as the Ralph. One sees it at the Mariucci too to some extent. There is some noise but it is nothing like it was at the old arena. I think the NCAA warning "no racist, sexist, homophobic, blah, blah, blah" kind of has a chilling effect. Of course, no one wants to hear the F-bomb dropped by fans and no one wants to hear nasty name calling. If the NCAA were serious, they should remove anyone who uses the Sioux nickname in a derogatory manner, like "sioux suck" or "sue is a whore" etc. Hard to believe that the same fools chanting "racist mascot" were saying those things. It just shows how truly out of touch and ignorant those people are. We don't have a mascot anyway last time I checked. The bleacher creature was the closest thing I guess.

Hard to believe that the same fools chanting "racist mascot" were saying those things. It just shows how truly out of touch and ignorant those people are. We don't have a mascot anyway last time I checked. The bleacher creature was the closest thing I guess.

Two words why the fans are the way they are in Mad town. State street ;)

Been there done that. :):lol:

If the NCAA were serious, they should remove anyone who uses the Sioux nickname in a derogatory manner, like "sioux suck" or "sue is a whore" etc. Hard to believe that the same fools chanting "racist mascot" were saying those things.

I agree... however, chants like that are probably making the NCAA feel better about their stance on the nickname. And I don't think the "racist mascot" chant was started by a group of concerned citizens for the greater good... :)