SiouxSports.com Forum

Briggs Suspended For Three Games

Siouxman

So that's what those 4 extra years of undergrad taught ya, eh? Maybe I should investigate that. ;)

Oh well, so I'm wrong.

At least this will be Frazee's chance to put up or shut up. Wayne State will be nothing to the Gophers (They aren't even as talented as Alaska ALaska Alaska Nanooks or whatever ??? ) so I doubt we'll see much there. It all comes down to Oct. 6.

You are saying "Wayne State will be nothing to the Gophers?" How did the Gophers season end last year and weren't they supposed to win the West Regional Tournament? They better not overlook anyone else for a long time because "anyone" (Holy Cross) can jump up and bit them in the ass.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read this sort of thing a couple of times today. If this is true, it confirms that the issue with the Blarney's scandal was more than just "underage drinking" which is how some of the gopher spin-meisters tried to spin the situation. It was obviously more than that. Free cover, free drinks, and allegedly the exchange of tickets for those priviledges is quite a different matter.

I agree it is a different matter, but from what I recall most Gopher posters recognized there are/were more issues than just drinking involved.

this type of stuff happens at many universities. they were just the dumb ones that got caught

This is one of those issues that for some reason makes me feel not proud to be a Gopher fan. It simply rubs me the wrong way that they would be this obtuse, irresponsible and arrogant. AZ you might be absolutely right that this happens elsewhere, but I really hope and expect more from them. Perhaps I'm naive but I am still bothered by this 'scandal'.

I agree it is a different matter, but from what I recall most Gopher posters recognized there are/were more issues than just drinking involved.

This is one of those issues that for some reason makes me feel not proud to be a Gopher fan. It simply rubs me the wrong way that they would be this obtuse, irresponsible and arrogant. AZ you might be absolutely right that this happens elsewhere, but I really hope and expect more from them. Perhaps I'm naive but I am still bothered by this 'scandal'.

i hear ya for sure but its just reality with the big time money in the NC$$ and boosters and what not. will be interesting to see what the real reason is for the suspension??

I believe he is an adult once he is over 18. Briggs is a senior.

I can't believe he was still named captain.

So what would your policy be if he did something after he was named Captain? Would you replace him as Captain?

Was Greene the Captain when he did a little boozin & cruzin? I think so, but not sure, and I don't think anyone thought he should lose captain status...

I call bull$hit on that statement. There were plenty of people here who thought Greene should be stripped of his captaincy and worse................

I call bull$hit on that statement. There were plenty of people here who thought Greene should be stripped of his captaincy and worse................

More importantly, Greene wasn't named a Captain with a cloud already hanging over his head, but then again he didn't play for the Blarney boys either. ???

To assume MN hockey players are the only athletes that have indulged in under age drinking is just plain stupid. I am not in ANY way sticking up for these guys (I thought mutliple game suspensions were in order for that that were caught), but the only reason that these players were caught, was because Channel 9, for reasons unknown, went on a witch hunt to find it. I am sure they could go to ANY campus and find the exact same thing.

100% correct. Especially if a recruit is coming from the Iron Range. Underage drinking begins there at the age of 9.

You are correct that many or even most did. But at least one of the biggest continues to spin it that way.

The last article published in the paper said this:

“A criminal complaint obtained by the Fox 9 Investigators accuses bar owner Mike Mulrooney of serving alcohol to U of M athletes who were underage. It also says police found evidence he gave Mens Gopher hockey players hundreds of dollars worth of free drinks and they gave him free tickets to games.”

If that is what the police report said, how is this not an NCAA violation? Spin city here we come.

right now it's just a police report. i havent' followed it closely enough to know if charges have been filed against the owner, but up until they are filed and he is found guilty, no one can be held accountable. to the eyes of the ncaa the police report says "we, the police think this is what happened, it is now up to the prosecutors to find out if there is enough proof to try and convict the owner and possibly the hockey players, and then it is up to the judge or possibly a jury to determine if the owner and or hockey players are actually guilty."

a police report doesn't mean guilty... it just means arrested. the ncaa can't enfore a violation occured when the court hasn't proved a violation occured.

Believe it or not, a minor consuming alcohol, in and of itself, is not an NCAA rules violation. Obviously, trading tickets for booze, cover charge, etc. might be, but a student-athlete merely having a drink is not verboten in Indianapolis' eyes.

It is a violation of the NC$$ rules for a student athlete to receive any gratuities from a 'booster' (which is very clearly defined as a fan. You don't have to be a big monied alum to be considered a booster. Cheering for the team, wearing a jersey, just being a fan makes you a booster in the eyes of the NC$$). Basically the acceptance of ANY benefit from a booster/fan by a student athlete and/or recruit is a violation of NC$$ rules unless that same benefit is available to the general public. Examples of violations are many, here a couple of the more 'petty' ones;

A team received free breakfast coupons from the motel they were staying and used them. The coupons occasionally were given to 'the general public' but not always. They were made to pay for the breakfast.

A recruit's meal was paid for by a 'fan' during a visit to a campus. He was made to pay for the meal.

Hockey players getting admitted to a bar for free and getting free drinks is a violation of NC$$ rules. The general public pays a cover charge to get into the bar and pays for their drinks.