SiouxSports.com Forum

Briggs Suspended For Three Games

Siouxman

Briggs was not suspended...He is being treated for wind burn from all the pucks screaming by that jug-eared goalie mask of his....and here's to Jeff "Long Island" Frazee...we can only hope he gets to play once a weekend....what a sieve!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a violation of the NC$$ rules for a student athlete to receive any gratuities from a 'booster' (which is very clearly defined as a fan. You don't have to be a big monied alum to be considered a booster. Cheering for the team, wearing a jersey, just being a fan makes you a booster in the eyes of the NC$$). Basically the acceptance of ANY benefit from a booster/fan by a student athlete and/or recruit is a violation of NC$$ rules unless that same benefit is available to the general public.

Or maybe, oh...I don't know...a couple of brats at a backyard cookout? ???

Or maybe, oh...I don't know...a couple of brats at a backyard cookout? :lol:

....unless that same benefit is available to the general public.

A couple of brats at a neighborhood back yard cookout with neighbors which includes hockey players who live in the neighborhood is NOT a violation of NCAA rules. (See bolded statement.) If the hosts charged all the neighbors a cover charge and made them pay for their food and drink to attend but exempted the hockey players that would be a violation of NCAA rules. ???

I know you were joking but this brings up a very good point! In order to protect themselves from committing an NC$$ violation, the student athlete has to be very careful about what they can accept from fans and friends. Having someone buy you a drink or accepting a simple little birthday or Christmas gift can be a violation. I understant that before a little cookout that includes student athletes can actually occur there are a lot of phone calls to 'officials' for clarification, permission, etc. that take place before the actual event. If you want to include a student athlete to pretty much anything, be prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone. You also want to protect the student athlete from unwittingly committing a violation.

AND there is the 'infrequent meal' exemption that PCM ponts out.

A couple of brats at a neighborhood back yard cookout with neighbors which includes hockey players who live in the neighborhood is NOT a violation of NCAA rules. (See bolded statement.) If the hosts charged all the neighbors a cover charge and made them pay for their food and drink to attend but exempted the hockey players that would be a violation of NCAA rules. ???

I know you were joking but this brings up a very good point! In order to protect themselves from committing an NC$$ violation, the student athlete has to be very careful about what they can accept from fans and friends. Having someone buy you a drink or accepting a simple little birthday or Christmas gift can be a violation. I understant that before a little cookout that includes student athletes can actually occur there are a lot of phone calls to 'officials' for clarification, permission, etc. that take place before the actual event. If you want to include a student athlete to pretty much anything, be prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone. You also want to protect the student athlete from unwittingly committing a violation.

AND there is the 'infrequent meal' exemption that PCM ponts out.

One school I know of makes you have a letter on file with the Athletic Dept. if you want to have the players over for an occasional meal. And it clearly states that "occasional" does not mean weekly. They give you all the info on what is and is not acceptable. So, you have to have approval from the University first before you can have players over for a meal.

Name, Yr GP W L T GA MIN GAA SH SV SV%

Jeff Frazee, Fr 12 6 3 2 26 660 2.36 2 264 .910

Philippe Lamoureux, So 14 5 7 0 32 734 2.61 1 327 .911

BOX

I think Blackheart momentarily forgot that Briggs is the sieve and Frazzled is the lush. Who did Frazzled play against last year and where is he getting his free wobbly pops this season.

So, you have to have approval from the University first before you can have players over for a meal.

While it's probably a good idea to inform the university, you don't have to because there's a specific exemption in the NCAA rules about this very situation.

Here is UND's guidance on compliance with NCAA rules regarding "booster" interaction with recruits and/or enrolled student-athletes. Pretty strict.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/info/booster/

And that occasional "family" meal must be provided in the booster's home; not in a restaurant, etc. Clearly the MPLS bar thing is a violation. I merely post the abovbe guidelines to illustrate how strictly governed "our" behavior is.

I hereby suspend mikejm from all hockey activities, for drinking light beer at least weeks tailgate party! :ohmy: This is a flagrant violation of all rules, and must be dealt with in a swift and harsh manner.

I was framed! Framed, I tell you! The brown paper bag I had wrapped around the bottle obsured the label. :glare: