SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs QUINNIPIAC

AZSIOUX

Well, how many freaking times are we going to hear the same b.s. from another casual hockey watcher about how Lee needs to pick up the physical aspect of his game? Brian Lee plays some of the best positional defense of any college hockey player anywhere. He is almost always in the right spot, with the right angle on his man, and because of that he doesn't have to be laying smack on his opponent. I've watched his play for years and as I've said here many times, he doesn't play smash-mouth D; he never has, he never will.

Hell, when Moorhead and Warroad hooked up a couple years ago in that overtime game in Moorhead, Aaron Marvin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, how many freaking times are we going to hear the same b.s. from another casual hockey watcher about how Lee needs to pick up the physical aspect of his game? Brian Lee plays some of the best positional defense of any college hockey player anywhere. He is almost always in the right spot, with the right angle on his man, and because of that he doesn't have to be laying smack on his opponent. I've watched his play for years and as I've said here many times, he doesn't play smash-mouth D; he never has, he never will.

Hell, when Moorhead and Warroad hooked up a couple years ago in that overtime game in Moorhead, Aaron Marvin

In principle I agree with your point, and I'm just fine with Brian Lee being a big, offensively skilled and defensively sound defenseman without being a bruiser. That said I think there were times last year when Brian could have played more physically in moving a man with the puck away from a dangerous position. I'm trying to remember one play that sticks out in my mind and I think it was against MN. He just didn't play the body close to the net and it cost a goal. However, this may be more a matter of playing a little more either confidently or assertively than needing to be bigger and stronger.

Yeah, especially if Lee get 50 points.

I think hitting is a huge part of the game and yes you may be 'skilled' enough to not take out the body that often, but still a couple huge hits taken by a player is going to throw his whole game off. He'll be more worried about getting hit than anything else. Im not talking about being a goon, but let the opponent know that they should be aware of a bone crushing hit ???

Remeber that James Patrick had a pretty good run without smashing opponents, by handling the puck far better than any of his peers. Besides Radke, Finley and Jones have that part of the game covered.

In the play I was referring to all he needed to do was get in the way, push the other guy around a bit and not allow him to skate unimpeded into the slot for a shot. Lee went for the poke check and missed, though with one step he could have put his body in the way.

Just a friendly reminder to the ss.com faithful that there will be tailgating at the Old Ralph prior to the hockey game on Saturday. Will probably start setting up about 3:00 pm. Bring your favorite beverage and something to throw on the grill or share with the group. The weather looks to be good (not quite as warm as Sunday though). Stop by and say hello if you are in the area.

GO SIOUX!!!!!

I think hitting is a huge part of the game and yes you may be 'skilled' enough to not take out the body that often, but still a couple huge hits taken by a player is going to throw his whole game off. He'll be more worried about getting hit than anything else. Im not talking about being a goon, but let the opponent know that they should be aware of a bone crushing hit ???

I have to agree with that statement, how many times have we seen someone smash the opposing player only to have him pass the puck right before the hit and set up a goal against us. Sometimes I take position over smashing. I do like having big ugly defenseman to intimidate the opposition but skill does help score goals. That being said, I am happy with Lee's progression.

So did we agree that Lee is closer to James Patrick or Trevor Hammer?

Wow. So we're back to considering Lee as a bust now? Or am I totally missing the point here?

Seriously, I guess some fans will never just accept that Lee plays a different game than previous 6'3" defensemen that wore a Sioux jersey. Those of us that understand that concept will just have to come to grips with that.

Wow. So we're back to considering Lee as a bust now? Or am I totally missing the point here?

Seriously, I guess some fans will never just accept that Lee plays a different game than previous 6'3" defensemen that wore a Sioux jersey. Those of us that understand that concept will just have to come to grips with that.

He's not a bust...I'm just a bigger fan of the physical play...the Trevor Hammer comparison is probably a bit extreme... ???

Looks as if the Sioux D-corps could be thin this weekend. Here's what Brad Schlossman's hockey blog says:

On to the topic of this weekend's series against Quinnipiac. Dave Hakstol said that Zach Jones is questionable and Joe Finley is doubtful for the series. They both missed practice time this week. So, we could see a shuffle on the blue line. Hakstol said he'd like to see Michael Forney, who practiced all week, play at least one game this weekend.

Looks as if the Sioux D-corps could be thin this weekend. Here's what Brad Schlossman's hockey blog says:

I saw Zach walk off during the first last sunday, he came back to the bench for the second but did not play. Wonder what the injury might be? Does anyone know if Finley sitting has to do with the rumors flying around?

I saw Zach walk off during the first last sunday, he came back to the bench for the second but did not play. Wonder what the injury might be?

As has been previously stated here, it's a groin injury.

Lee is perhaps facing similar (although for different reasons) scrutiny from some Sioux fans as Harrington faced with some Gopher fans. After having to follow in the footsteps of Leopold, Martin and Ballard, Harrington had pretty lofty expectations placed against him. While Harrington obviously made some mistakes, I don't think ever received enough credit from some Gopher fans.

I saw Zach walk off during the first last sunday, he came back to the bench for the second but did not play. Wonder what the injury might be? Does anyone know if Finley sitting has to do with the rumors flying around?

Regarding Finley, I have only ever seen the word doubtful used regarding an injury. Anything else would be given a more black and white assessment.

Last night on the 10 pm news, can't remember which channel, they had a picture of Lammy where you could see the black eye someone gave him. Thought he looked pretty tough. Just a casual observation, now let's see him get some Ws and lead the team back to the show.

GO SIOUX!

Lee is perhaps facing similar (although for different reasons) scrutiny from some Sioux fans as Harrington faced with some Gopher fans. After having to follow in the footsteps of Leopold, Martin and Ballard, Harrington had pretty lofty expectations placed against him. While Harrington obviously made some mistakes, I don't think ever received enough credit from some Gopher fans.

I don't see him taking criticism, but rather interest in his development jumping from a high school to the WCHA. I would expect that by the end of the year he'll be playing All-American caliber (but not get the award).

After reading all the babble on this forum topic, lets get back to game and line predictions

After watching Bishop - who I think will be a huge surprise this year - in terms of production - I see him line up with Towes or Oshie's line

Duncun Toews Vandevelde

Oshie Zajac Bishop

Kaip Porter Forney - Could get sub. by Miller or Martens

Kozak Watkins Fabian

Miller Martens

Foyt gets to play some more defense with Jones and Finley on the ritz

Could be some real fast break hockey unless Hak practiced the team into the ground in 4 days! Sioux sweep