SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Gets no Love in the CHN Pre-season Rankings.

Goon

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come all of your posts are so cynnical ? Do you think any one here will feel guilty for what they say about filthy phil ?(I'm sure know one will) Do you feel as if you are being picked on ?(you really should) I would feel that way too, if I tried the same crap on gpl I guess.(but I'm smart enough not to do that). By the way, thanks for wrecking a thread about a real player Mr. Jonathan Toews.

I have to agree with Triouper. I started this thread because I thought Toews was slighted. Yeah and I did make a few comments about Schneider being over rated (I do believe he is based on the league he playes in) and the pre-season poll being littered with B.C. and Michigan players and having a east coast bias and it was a joke, and if you look closely you will see Sioux fan are right.

Also I believe Triouxper is right Cardinal: you have ruined a thread its a legitimate subject about Toews being slighted. I am sure I am ot the only Sioux fan that thinks INCH's AND CHN polls are a big joke and highly biased towards the pretty boy schools (B.C. Michigan). They aren't even worth of butt whipping nor reading. Seriously, if you can't add anything constructive about the conversation which is Toews was snubbed go back to your Gopher Hugging feast. I dont' thinkn U ND fans are off the mark criticizing these polls nor are they over reacting in their responses to these worthless polls.

Anyone who says that Boston University didn't have as good of a shot at winning the whole thing as any team in the tournament is just plain out of their mind. Boston University had a GREAT team last season. Schneider was absolutely spectacular in the NCAA tournament 3 out of the 4 games. And in the game he wasn't spectacular, just good, he still found a way to win. What people don't remember is that Boston College was a 3 seed last seson. He single handidly put his team on his back and carried them to the frozen 4. Played well enough to win a semi-final game, and played AWESOME in the title game but people are arguing it's laughable for him to be a second team All American? Don't be so biased.

Chuck seriously are you buddies with Schneider? Ok we realize you like Schneider, thats fine I don't have a problem with it. I don't understand why your making such a case for Schneider. Seriously. Miami of Ohio was Highly over rated last season. I am not so sure BU wasn't also. The WCHA is hands down top to bottom much better than HE. There are 3-4 good teams and then just a plethra of crappy ones. Feasting on those teams means nothing.

Chuck seriously are you buddies with Schneider? Ok we realize you like Schneider, thats fine I don't have a problem with it. I don't understand why your making such a case for Schneider. Seriously. Miami of Ohio was Highly over rated last season. I am not so sure BU wasn't also. The WCHA is hands down top to bottom much better than HE. There are 3-4 good teams and then just a plethra of crappy ones. Feasting on those teams means nothing.

No, I just don't like it when players are slighted on a case where it couldn't be further from the truth.

IMO, there are too many variables to try to pick the top two goalies based on stats. The WCHA was the better conference and had much more scoring talent than Hockey East. The WCHA teams averaged 3.00 goals/game vs 2.70 for HE.

If you look at the conference stats for Schneider vs. the top 4 WCHA goalies (based on GAA) and adjust for league avg:

GAA	SvPct   LGAA	Diff

Elliott		1.84   .930	2.94   -1.10

Goepfert	   2.09   .926	3.02   -0.93

Briggs		 2.19   .918	2.91   -0.72

Schneider	  1.96   .932	2.65   -0.69

Parise		 2.41   .924	2.92   -0.51

LGAA = League GAA without players team numbers included

So based on stats the case could be made that Briggs is a better goalie than Schneider. Not sure any reasonable person would make that case but that is the problem with looking at stats.

There are different leagues involved, and even within the WCHA teams play an unbalanced schedule.

Individual teams play different styles and defensive experience and talent vary.

I can only base my opinion on games I have seen which are heavily skewed to games involving the Sioux. I thought Parise had one of the best seasons in goal of any Sioux goalie since I have followed them (35+ years) especially given the defense was very inexperienced.

Elliott had a great season for Wisconsin and deserved all the awards he received. He did have the advantage of playing with an experienced veteran team.

Goepfert was also very good and the case could be made for him to be the 2nd team all-american.

He is a goalie I feel could steal a game for the team that they shouldn't win.

Briggs started the season on a roll but had a falloff the second half. He has not yet impressed me as a goalie that can steal a game.

Schneider is the one I have seen the least and only against UND except for the Wisc championship game.

Against UND:

10/24/2004: 3 goals on 19 shots

03/26/2005: 6 goals on 21 shots

04/06/2006: 5 goals on 41 shots

total: 14 goals on 81 shots

Bottom line is I haven't been impressed with him at all. Granted the sample size is very small and if you only looked at a few games of any goalie you may get a distorted view. But I think his play against the Sioux is why many posters on this board find it difficult to place him on the second team. We've seen goalies for other teams in the WCHA steal games against the Sioux and Schneider has basically been a sieve against the Sioux. That and the fact he plays in what most view, myself included, as an inferior league.

Have to love the arguments these pre-season articles/polls bring about! :blush:

Is Elliott the best goalie in the nation...probably. Is Schneider the 2nd? Possibly but arguable. Schneider did surrender 5 goals to the Sioux in the semifinals, but anyone who watched the BC/BU matchup in the previous game saw him play pretty good. Of course, BC played a totally different game than what they played against BU the week before, so it's difficult to say that Schneider was that good.

Did Miller rob Panzer for the Hobey? Many of us think so, but PCM will defend Miller in that he did have the stats to back up the right to win the trophy, and PCM makes good points. (I know that hasn't been brought up in this thread, but has been brought up numerous times in the past and it felt like it should be mentioned again :lol: )

Did Toews get short-changed in this pre-season prediction? Most of would think so. It will be fun to watch Toews and Oshie again this year, as well as Duncan, Kozek, and the rest of the players on the team. I personally think Toews will show everyone that they made the wrong choice on this prediction, but that's life in the world of preseason prediction.

Let's celebrate that another season of college hockey is among us! Go Sioux!!!

I have to agree with Triouper. I started this thread because I thought Toews was slighted. Yeah and I did make a few comments about Schneider being over rated (I do believe he is based on the league he playes in) and the pre-season poll being littered with B.C. and Michigan players and having a east coast bias and it was a joke, and if you look closely you will see Sioux fan are right.

Also I believe Triouxper is right Cardinal: you have ruined a thread its a legitimate subject about Toews being slighted. I am sure I am ot the only Sioux fan that thinks INCH's AND CHN polls are a big joke and highly biased towards the pretty boy schools (B.C. Michigan). They aren't even worth of butt whipping nor reading. Seriously, if you can't add anything constructive about the conversation which is Toews was snubbed go back to your Gopher Hugging feast. I dont' thinkn U ND fans are off the mark criticizing these polls nor are they over reacting in their responses to these worthless polls.

I chimed in on this one pretty late if you look at the posts. I put one post in here about Schneider compared to many by Chuck and yet I ruined the thread? :blush:

Did Miller rob Panzer for the Hobey? Many of us think so, but PCM will defend Miller in that he did have the stats to back up the right to win the trophy, and PCM makes good points. (I know that hasn't been brought up in this thread, but has been brought up numerous times in the past and it felt like it should be mentioned again :lol:

Gee, thanks. I've purposely been trying to stay out of this argument and you toss me right in with the sharks. :blush::huh:

Anyone who says that Boston University didn't have as good of a shot at winning the whole thing as any team in the tournament is just plain out of their mind. Boston University had a GREAT team last season. Schneider was absolutely spectacular in the NCAA tournament 3 out of the 4 games. And in the game he wasn't spectacular, just good, he still found a way to win. What people don't remember is that Boston College was a 3 seed last seson. He single handidly put his team on his back and carried them to the frozen 4. Played well enough to win a semi-final game, and played AWESOME in the title game but people are arguing it's laughable for him to be a second team All American? Don't be so biased.

Boston College was a 3 seed playing in Worcester, MA against a team from OH. Just because they were a 3 seed doesn't mean they were necessarily an underdog because of the home-ice crowd. After they got by Miami(OH), I would call their came against Boston University a toss-up. You can throw out the records. Just like when UND plays U. of Minnesota. So the whole "being a 3 seed" doesn't fly as an excuse either. At least in my book it doesn't.

By the way, it's not being biased. It's called being honest and looking at the whole picture and career of an individual. If it was biased, I would be saying that Parise dominated the National Semi-Final game and got a bad bounce or had bad defense in front of him. I'd say both goalies weren't particularily sharp in that game. Again, Just my opinion.

Boston College was a 3 seed playing in Worcester, MA against a team from OH. Just because they were a 3 seed doesn't mean they were necessarily an underdog because of the home-ice crowd. After they got by Miami(OH), I would call their came against Boston University a toss-up. You can throw out the records. Just like when UND plays U. of Minnesota. So the whole "being a 3 seed" doesn't fly as an excuse either. At least in my book it doesn't.

By the way, it's not being biased. It's called being honest and looking at the whole picture and career of an individual. If it was biased, I would be saying that Parise dominated the National Semi-Final game and got a bad bounce or had bad defense in front of him. I'd say both goalies weren't particularily sharp in that game. Again, Just my opinion.

You're not having a North Dakota bias but you're definitly having a Western bias on the kid. You even chirped about how the league is so inferior. And you're not looking at the whole picture and career of an individual. You're looking specificly at games that North Dakota has played and the WJC.

You also say that you hate excuses but yet you come up with excuses as to how he led the youngest team in the nation to the National Title game.

Anyways I think we've beat the horse pretty good on this one probably time to move on.

I stepped away from this for a couple days, so I tried to write a summary of this thread to make sure I got everything right. Can you guys check and see if I got everything?

Schneider is both a great big sieve on a sucky team and a great goaltender destined to carry his sucky team singlehandedly to the Frozen Four, if he has to give up 14 goals on 81 [edit: 83] Sioux shots to do it.

Boyle is a big time player, and he proved it by scoring zero points in two games at the Frozen Four, which makes him better than Toews, who only had one goal in one game.

Toews is too young to make the list and too young to be the MVP of the West Regional.

CHN thinks more of their readers are from BC and Michigan so they had to pick their players so that it will help their ratings. Plus, Boyle scares the snot out of Starman, so he had to put him on the list.

Michigan has good news - two preseason All Americans. The bad news is that these are the same guys that led them to a phenomenal run in last season

How come all of your posts are so cynnical ? Do you think any one here will feel guilty for what they say about filthy phil ?(I'm sure know one will) Do you feel as if you are being picked on ?(you really should) I would feel that way too, if I tried the same crap on gpl I guess.(but I'm smart enough not to do that). By the way, thanks for wrecking a thread about a real player Mr. Jonathan Toews.

Every time someone writes something you don't like you cry that they ruined the thread. Give me a break, no one is forcing you to respond.

If there were no Elliott, Schneider would be the best goalie in the nation HANDS DOWN.

And all this whining by UND fans about their team or players getting overlooked in these stupid polls or rankings sounds pathetic. You sound like SCSU fans, and that's not good. You cheer for a premier program which EVERYONE praises as one of the best and it's still not good enough for you.

Schneider is both a great big sieve on a sucky team and a great goaltender destined to carry his sucky team singlehandedly to the Frozen Four, if he has to give up 14 goals on 81 Sioux shots to do it.

CHN thinks more of their readers are from BC and Michigan so they had to pick their players so that it will help their ratings. Plus, Boyle scares the snot out of Starman, so he had to put him on the list.

Michigan has good news - two preseason All Americans. The bad news is that these are the same guys that led them to a phenomenal run in last season

If there were no Elliott, Schneider would be the best goalie in the nation HANDS DOWN.

And all this whining by UND fans about their team or players getting overlooked in these stupid polls or rankings sounds pathetic. You sound like SCSU fans, and that's not good. You cheer for a premier program which EVERYONE praises as one of the best and it's still not good enough for you.

BuckySieve, if you don't like our whinning to back to GPL. I case you can't tell this is a Sioux hockey message board. I thought you would be able to figure it out by the Sioux logos.