SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Gets no Love in the CHN Pre-season Rankings.

Goon

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schnieder may not be on Elliotts door but he's on his street. Name one other goalie you would include, Geopfert? Yeah possibly but he's not in Schnieders class.

Schnieder had a 2.11 gaa and a .929 save percentage. Finished 7th in the NCAA in GAA, 3rd in Save Percentage, 1st in minutes played and tied for 1st in Shutouts.

By the way I could care less what he did at the WJC. He kept the team in games. Team USA was questionable at best. So adding that and 2 games he played against the Sioux don't add up to much to me. He's proven it time and time again how good he is.

Chuck I think we are going to have to agree to disagree, but I am sure that I am not the only one that feels this way. From the Goon's opinion I think Schnieder is over-rated, that is just the Goon's HMO.

Lastly, I am curious? Why would a badger fan care what a Sioux fan thinks about a Eagle player? I mean your player got the love he deserves?

Chuck I think we are going to have to agree to disagree, but I am sure that I am not the only one that feels this way. From the Goon's opinion I think Schnieder is over-rated, that is just the Goon's HMO.

Lastly, I am curious? Why would a badger fan care what a Sioux fan thinks about a Eagle player? I mean your player got the love he deserves?

Not to go totally off-topic here but remember the systems that Elliott and Schneider play in. If you put Schneider in UW's system (or any goalie for that matter) his numbers would be better because Eaves puts much more of an emphasis on defense than York does.

First of all, don't forget that I'm a Sioux fan as well. Second of all, I honestly don't know who doesn't see Schnieder as a first or second team All American. Schnieder went #1 in both Fantasy College Hockey drafts on USCHO.

Not to go totally off-topic here but remember the systems that Elliott and Schneider play in. If you put Schneider in UW's system (or any goalie for that matter) his numbers would be better because Eaves puts much more of an emphasis on defense than York does.

I agree with that statement but I still think Elliot is head and shoulders a way better goalie, because look at what happened to Wisconsin when Brian got hurt, they were lit up a few times, either that or Connelly is really not very good. I think part of it is that Connelly isn't half as good as Elliot but Elliot is that good. I predict that Elliot will be Emery backup in a short time after his college career is over and will probably be taking his place because Emery isn't very good.

First of all, don't forget that I'm a Sioux fan as well. Second of all, I honestly don't know who doesn't see Schnieder as a first or second team All American. Schnieder went #1 in both Fantasy College Hockey drafts on USCHO.

Fair enough.

What does that say about our college goaltenders if you feel that Schneider is our 1st or 2nd team All-American?? Sure he's got good stats, but he hasn't played that well in a big game when it mattered most. Stats are not the easiest thing to look at and/or decipher. Elliot has played in big games and won them. He has carried his team when needed. Anyone who doesn't see that is either blind or has a distinct hatred towards great goaltenders. After Elliot, I would say that there are a lot of good goalies, but not great ones. Show me goalies with big wins on big time stages on prime time TV and I will take them any day of the week and twice on Friday and Saturday.

What does that say about our college goaltenders if you feel that Schneider is our 1st or 2nd team All-American?? Sure he's got good stats, but he hasn't played that well in a big game when it mattered most. Stats are not the easiest thing to look at and/or decipher. Elliot has played in big games and won them. He has carried his team when needed. Anyone who doesn't see that is either blind or has a distinct hatred towards great goaltenders. After Elliot, I would say that there are a lot of good goalies, but not great ones. Show me goalies with big wins on big time stages on prime time TV and I will take them any day of the week and twice on Friday and Saturday.

I think that is what a lot of us are seeing when it comes to Schneider.

I also think Brian Boyle is the most over hyped college player I have ever seen. Though I have only seen him play 6 times the last 2 years. If he was in the WCHA he would be just another player, but since he is out East they will hype him as a possibly Hobey. Even after he scores only 25 goals.

So you never saw Spehar? :blush:

First of all Elliott has two t's.

Maybe you were sleeping or something...but didn't Schneider lead one of the youngest teams in college hockey last year to the Championship game of the NCAA Ice hockey tournament and only lost 2-1?

So you're saying that if that shot by BC at the end of the game goes in instead of hitting the post and BC wins it in OT that Schneider and Elliott should switch places on your greatness theory? I didn't think so. Cory Schneider had 37 saves and only 2 goals against in the title game and that's not carrying his team on primetime tv?

I'm not arguing that Schneider is better then Elliott because I know he's not. But there is absolutely no question in my mind, and NO ONE has brought up a single good point as to why he is not the second best goalie in the country.

First of all Elliott has two t's.

Maybe you were sleeping or something...but didn't Schneider lead one of the youngest teams in college hockey last year to the Championship game of the NCAA Ice hockey tournament and only lost 2-1?

So you're saying that if that shot by BC at the end of the game goes in instead of hitting the post and BC wins it in OT that Schneider and Elliott should switch places on your greatness theory? I didn't think so. Cory Schneider had 37 saves and only 2 goals against in the title game and that's not carrying his team on primetime tv?

I'm not arguing that Schneider is better then Elliott because I know he's not. But there is absolutely no question in my mind, and NO ONE has brought up a single good point as to why he is not the second best goalie in the country.

Sorry about the mis-spell of Elliott's name, Anyways...

You're saying that because Schneider had a good game in the National Championship game, but his team still lost, that makes him a great goalie? I saw him play both Frozen Fours games last year and I watched Schneider play in the World Juniors the last 2 years and he didn't do anything spectacular to impress me. How about the 5 goals he gave up to UND in the National Semi's? And before you say "How about the 6 goals Parise gave up to BC in the same game", I never said Parise was a great goalie. I never said he was the 2nd best goaltender in the country. He was a good goalie and had some big wins on some big stages, but he still had some less than stellar games in those same situations.

I said "Show me goalies with big wins on big time stages on prime time TV and I will take them any day of the week and twice on Friday and Saturday." What has Schneider won? He's been on good(some may say great) teams and he hasn't gotten any of them over the hump yet. Not all of it can be put on Schneider, and it shouldn't, but he still needs to win or steal a game on a big-time stage before I'll say he is the 2nd best collegiate goaltender in the country. There are a lot of GOOD goalies in college hockey, but only one great one IMO. Like I said, it's only my opinion.

Last season, Schneider was a first-team All-American. He was the MVP of the Northeast Regional where he shutout Miami and BU (I know, both those teams suck, right?). He had eight shutouts.

You ask what he's won, and we'll get to that in a sec, but was has he had a chance to win? BC was one of (if not the) youngest team in the country last year, and like Chuck said, he led them to the NCAA title game. He played on some WJC teams that were clearly overmatched for various reasons (both years it was Minnesota players that caused the problems though, right?). Before that, he was Team USA's goalie in the Under-18 Junior World Cup where the U.S. won the event for the first time. Also, although they didn't win it, he was 5-1 at the 2004 IIHF Under-18 World Championships. They lost in the title game by a 3-2 score to a Russian team that included Malkin. Schneider had a 1.71 goals against average and a .929 save percentage in the tournament. He was a first round pick by Vancouver in 2004.

WJC teams that were clearly overmatched for various reasons (both years it was Minnesota players that caused the problems though, right?).

According to goph fans following the GF WJC, it was Badger defensmen that were the problem. There was, however, a certain Goph forward that refused to play anywhere but the US offensive end (course he hadn't picked his future college team at the time). As I remember he had (and still has) one move :blush:

According to goph fans following the GF WJC, it was Badger defensmen that were the problem. There was, however, a certain Goph forward that refused to play anywhere but the US offensive end (course he hadn't picked his future college team at the time). As I remember he had (and still has) one move :blush:

All I know is that from the WJC in GF there were a lot of pylons on the ice and blame that could be distributed all over. I do remember a few Gopher d-men that were caught up ice all the time.

That one move is good enough for him to likely start the season on Boston's top line, but I'm sure there are many reasons why that is laughable, right?

That one move is good enough for him to likely start the season on Boston's top line, but I'm sure there are many reasons why that is laughable, right?

You recognized him, without a name. If he scores enough, Boston will likely find some linemates that will cover the end of the ice that he doesn't skate in, but that's Boston's problem.

How come all of your posts are so cynnical ? Do you think any one here will feel guilty for what they say about filthy phil ?(I'm sure know one will) Do you feel as if you are being picked on ?(you really should) I would feel that way too, if I tried the same crap on gpl I guess.(but I'm smart enough not to do that). By the way, thanks for wrecking a thread about a real player Mr. Jonathan Toews.

Sorry about the mis-spell of Elliott's name, Anyways...

You're saying that because Schneider had a good game in the National Championship game, but his team still lost, that makes him a great goalie? I saw him play both Frozen Fours games last year and I watched Schneider play in the World Juniors the last 2 years and he didn't do anything spectacular to impress me. How about the 5 goals he gave up to UND in the National Semi's? And before you say "How about the 6 goals Parise gave up to BC in the same game", I never said Parise was a great goalie. I never said he was the 2nd best goaltender in the country. He was a good goalie and had some big wins on some big stages, but he still had some less than stellar games in those same situations.

I said "Show me goalies with big wins on big time stages on prime time TV and I will take them any day of the week and twice on Friday and Saturday." What has Schneider won? He's been on good(some may say great) teams and he hasn't gotten any of them over the hump yet. Not all of it can be put on Schneider, and it shouldn't, but he still needs to win or steal a game on a big-time stage before I'll say he is the 2nd best collegiate goaltender in the country. There are a lot of GOOD goalies in college hockey, but only one great one IMO. Like I said, it's only my opinion.

The goalie can only do so much in a game. His team only scored one time, what is he supposed to do? 2 goals should be good enough to at least tie a team in College Hockey. I don't know how many times I have to say that the WJC should have nothing to do on basing how good he is in college hockey. Cardinal makes my point to a "T." Like I said he led the youngest team in the nation to a National Championship game as a sophomore. I almost forgot about him shutting out Miami and Boston University who many picked to win the entire tournament. If those don't count as big time stages then I don't know what does. I guess you would take him any day of the week and twice on friday and staurday then?

Last season, Schneider was a first-team All-American. He was the MVP of the Northeast Regional where he shutout Miami and BU (I know, both those teams suck, right?). He had eight shutouts.

You ask what he's won, and we'll get to that in a sec, but was has he had a chance to win? BC was one of (if not the) youngest team in the country last year, and like Chuck said, he led them to the NCAA title game. He played on some WJC teams that were clearly overmatched for various reasons (both years it was Minnesota players that caused the problems though, right?). Before that, he was Team USA's goalie in the Under-18 Junior World Cup where the U.S. won the event for the first time. Also, although they didn't win it, he was 5-1 at the 2004 IIHF Under-18 World Championships. They lost in the title game by a 3-2 score to a Russian team that included Malkin. Schneider had a 1.71 goals against average and a .929 save percentage in the tournament. He was a first round pick by Vancouver in 2004.

What's with the attitude and hostility towards me? I never said he wasn't a good goalie, just wasn't in Elliott's domain yet. You are coming up with the same excuses I hate to hear: "Young team", "clearly overmatched team", and "good, but not good enough".

All I said in my post is that he's been on some very elite teams that haven't won the big game with him in goal. I apologize for missing the U-18 World Cup, which I didn't see on a website with his stats. Either way, you make excuses for why he hasn't won: (A)BC was too young, (B)Team USA was overmatched, and ( C )Team USA lost to a Russian team that included Malkin(The U.S. must have had some "decent" players to offest one Russian). He's played well, I said that. But he hasn't stolen a game for his team(s) when he needed to or when pressed to do so because of his team's short-comings as you have outlined above. That's all I said and I'm sticking by it.

The goalie can only do so much in a game. His team only scored one time, what is he supposed to do? 2 goals should be good enough to at least tie a team in College Hockey. I don't know how many times I have to say that the WJC should have nothing to do on basing how good he is in college hockey. Cardinal makes my point to a "T." Like I said he led the youngest team in the nation to a National Championship game as a sophomore. I almost forgot about him shutting out Miami and Boston University who many picked to win the entire tournament. If those don't count as big time stages then I don't know what does. I guess you would take him any day of the week and twice on friday and staurday then?

Like I said, I hate excuses. And anyone who picked Miami(OH) and Boston University to win the title over any WCHA team last year is just plain out of their mind. How would they pick against Wisconsin playing in Wisconsin? Wisconsin was the best team last year. Period. And no, I wouldn't take Schneider any day of the week and twice on Friday and Saturday. I'll still take Elliott.

Like I said, I hate excuses. And anyone who picked Miami(OH) and Boston University to win the title over any WCHA team last year is just plain out of their mind. How would they pick against Wisconsin playing in Wisconsin? Wisconsin was the best team last year. Period. And no, I wouldn't take Schneider any day of the week and twice on Friday and Saturday. I'll still take Elliott.

Anyone who says that Boston University didn't have as good of a shot at winning the whole thing as any team in the tournament is just plain out of their mind. Boston University had a GREAT team last season. Schneider was absolutely spectacular in the NCAA tournament 3 out of the 4 games. And in the game he wasn't spectacular, just good, he still found a way to win. What people don't remember is that Boston College was a 3 seed last seson. He single handidly put his team on his back and carried them to the frozen 4. Played well enough to win a semi-final game, and played AWESOME in the title game but people are arguing it's laughable for him to be a second team All American? Don't be so biased.