SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2006-07 Updates

jk

Can anyone add any information besides what was in the Herald? How are coaches projecting him for this year? Is he comming into his own and ready for the WCHA or is he still developing. He seems to have been under everyone's radar. More info please.

he is a interesting player, not recruited really at all and a late bloomer, he may sit his fair share of games to start or may suprise people, hes 22 years old i think so i hope hes ready to play!! we will see what happens as i would guess he would be a fill in or maybe he does outplay some others and jump on that 4th line. low risk really

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is a interesting player, not recruited really at all and a late bloomer, he may sit his fair share of games to start or may suprise people, hes 22 years old i think so i hope hes ready to play!! we will see what happens as i would guess he would be a fill in or maybe he does outplay some others and jump on that 4th line. low risk really

Hey AZ the article said that he was 20 years old...

:lol: yeah, i was just pulling a woogism :( 20,21,22,23 whatever, all the same, still an overaged canadian ;)

I always laughed at that one. I think you might see a few more of them around the league to fill out some of the rosters of the various teams.

I know Minnesota had one as well as DU I believe has a few too... It never seemed to matter to gopher fans when they had debus who was about 25 or 26 when he graduated/retired.

cichy makes usa team, this kid is damn good, please stay on the ushl route!!

so dos this mean kristo, fink and gleason didnt make it or was that for a different team?? all these USA teams make me dizzy!!

http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/

I believe Kristo goes since he is already a part of the USNDP team, but I may be wrong?

Kristo and other USNDT members did participate in the camp, but USA Hockey chooses to assemble the team that will play internationally out of non-USNDT players. Not sure of the motivation, but it may be to give other players a chance to play internationally, since the USNDT players get plenty of that during the season.

Kristo and other USNDT members did participate in the camp, but USA Hockey chooses to assemble the team that will play internationally out of non-USNDT players. Not sure of the motivation, but it may be to give other players a chance to play internationally, since the USNDT players get plenty of that during the season.

Yes, they grant the allotment for NTDP that are selected and choose to participate in the camp. So Kristo was basically doing this to get extra playing time and practice. The intent of the select team is to give players that are not on the NTDP the chance to play overseas. It's basically thought of as the B team where as the NTDP is thought of as the A team.

I went to the Select 17 camp on Friday....I came away very impressed with the Sioux recruits. A few comments:

Fink...strong on the puck with very good vision. Paid attention to the defensive end (sounds like a typical Sioux forward, eh?). Started slow but picked it up in the second half when Kristo was moved to his line. He's got that quiet skill of letting the play come to him (very patient).

Cichy...this has already been mentioned several other places but this kid is the real deal. In the game I saw he had two assists and scored on a beautiful one-timer. Very smooth. A bit on the slender side (but, hey, so was Phil Sykes). Great hands. Centered the top line of his team and was clearly the team leader.

Gleason...I was here three years ago when Taylor Chorney played in this camp and it was obvious that he was top shelf. I didn't get that feeling with Gleason. Ness (Gophers) and Gardiner (Badgers) looked better. I didn't get to see him use his great skating ability so that probably had something to do with an average day for him. His fashion choice was impeccable however as he was sporting a University of North Dakota tee-shirt before his game.

Kristo...the biggest surprise of the day for me. He looked great. He is fast, fast, fast. His intensity level is high; not quite Oshie level but almost. I think the best word to describe him is explosive. He's got a good frame to add another 15-20 lbs and he'll be a monster.

I also saw all of the eastern North Dakota kids play (Groth, Swanson, Gaustad, Arnason and Simonson). They all played well; Simonson looked particularily strong.

It was fun to all these kids. Kristo, Gleason and Fink were all on the same team and before their game they were sitting together in the stands. You could tell they're good friends.

Hak, Eades and Jackson continue to produce top end players and great kids. Based on the four kids I saw Friday the '08/'09 classes could be something very special.

On a side note, I also got to see one of my all-time favorite Sioux players...Craig Ludwig. He was there watching his son, CJ.

All in all it was a great day for this Sioux fan.

I went to the Select 17 camp on Friday....I came away very impressed with the Sioux recruits. A few comments:

Fink...strong on the puck with very good vision. Paid attention to the defensive end (sounds like a typical Sioux forward, eh?). Started slow but picked it up in the second half when Kristo was moved to his line. He's got that quiet skill of letting the play come to him (very patient).

Cichy...this has already been mentioned several other places but this kid is the real deal. In the game I saw he had two assists and scored on a beautiful one-timer. Very smooth. A bit on the slender side (but, hey, so was Phil Sykes). Great hands. Centered the top line of his team and was clearly the team leader.

Gleason...I was here three years ago when Taylor Chorney played in this camp and it was obvious that he was top shelf. I didn't get that feeling with Gleason. Ness (Gophers) and Gardiner (Badgers) looked better. I didn't get to see him use his great skating ability so that probably had something to do with an average day for him. His fashion choice was impeccable however as he was sporting a University of North Dakota tee-shirt before his game.

Kristo...the biggest surprise of the day for me. He looked great. He is fast, fast, fast. His intensity level is high; not quite Oshie level but almost. I think the best word to describe him is explosive. He's got a good frame to add another 15-20 lbs and he'll be a monster.

I also saw all of the eastern North Dakota kids play (Groth, Swanson, Gaustad, Arnason and Simonson). They all played well; Simonson looked particularily strong.

It was fun to all these kids. Kristo, Gleason and Fink were all on the same team and before their game they were sitting together in the stands. You could tell they're good friends.

Hak, Eades and Jackson continue to produce top end players and great kids. Based on the four kids I saw Friday the '08/'09 classes could be something very special.

On a side note, I also got to see one of my all-time favorite Sioux players...Craig Ludwig. He was there watching his son, CJ.

Good point that you bring up with Gleason, his biggest asset has always been his skating ability and the ice on the main rink was terrible during the camp. This may have hindered his play a little.

Did you see Finhage play?

Did you see Finhage play?

I also left the office a couple of times on Friday to run over and catch parts of two games.

When the Green Team played I was really impressed with Kristo and Fink. They were terrific on the penalty kill. They played keep-a-way for quite a while playing short handed. Kristo was much faster than I thought he'd be and I thought he was clearly the best player on the ice. I was hoping to see what Kristo and Fink would do with the man advantage, but in the 3 power plays they had while I was there, the coaches never put them out. My guess is that the coaches knew what they could do on the PP and wanted to see what some of the other could do.

I thought Cichy struggled while I was watching, but I only got to see the first period of this game. Apparently he really stepped it up the rest of the game because he ended up with a goal and two assists. I wish I would have stuck around for the rest of the game.

We must have seen different periods of Gleason because I was really impressed with his poise on the blue line, especially during the power plays. I thought he did a very good job of getting the puck to the net and he had a terrific spin-o-rama with the puck to avoid the opposing forward who thought he was going knock Gleason and the puck out of the zone. Again, I only got to see him for one period.

I was really impressed with Tyler Landmann. He's a great skater and I thought he was very effective on the penalty kill. He is very good at getting the puck to his teammates for great scoring chances.

I also saw Craig Ludwig there but I didn't know what number his kid was. It would be nice to have another Ludwig with the Sioux.

Rick,

I think Gleason is a terrific talent, I just didn't see as much as I had hoped to on Friday. I thought he had an average day. I recall one play in the first period where he was beaten, badly, and it led to a goal and he came off the ice shaking his head. My guess is that he would tell you it wasn't his best day on the ice. Having said that, I think we'd agree that we're happy to have him as a Sioux recruit.

USA Hockey,

I feel bad for you having been taken to the woodshed on GPL for your response to my Gleason comments. I thought your response was innocuous but somehow it took on a life of its own for a while on GPL.

Rick,

I think Gleason is a terrific talent, I just didn't see as much as I had hoped to on Friday. I thought he had an average day. I recall one play in the first period where he was beaten, badly, and it led to a goal and he came off the ice shaking his head. My guess is that he would tell you it wasn't his best day on the ice. Having said that, I think we'd agree that we're happy to have him as a Sioux recruit.

USA Hockey,

I feel bad for you having been taken to the woodshed on GPL for your response to my Gleason comments. I thought your response was innocuous but somehow it took on a life of its own for a while on GPL.

... and from a person who has no objectivity and thus no credibility either. (outside of GPL that is)

... and from a person who has no objectivity and thus no credibility either. (outside of GPL that is)

Not to take this way off topic, but nobody ripped Gleason on GPL...the only thing that was brought into question was the logic of posting that the supposed "bad ice" in St. Cloud affected Gleason's play in a negative fashion but not others. I think it's fair to question that logic.

And, FWIW, I thought Gleason looked very poised and played well during the time I got to see him play in St. Cloud.

Not to take this way off topic, but nobody ripped Gleason on GPL...the only thing that was brought into question was the logic of posting that the supposed "bad ice" in St. Cloud affected Gleason's play in a negative fashion but not others. I think it's fair to question that logic.

I don't think anyone said that Gleason was the only one affected. For someone who constantly criticizes other for putting words in his mouth, Hammy was quick to do the same.

I was not surprised.