SiouxSports.com Forum

Terrier Dog Pound Muzzled

MafiaMan

Ii was just about to start the same thread. Here's the take on the issue from the Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/arti...guage_at_games/

I am a free speech proponent, but when the cheers (most obviously "organized") resort to profanity or ethnic and/or sexist remarks, I don't have a problem with some enforcement. I don't know how one will go about policing the new policy, however.

And I feel like I am picking at a scab here, so... I'm sorry, in advance. :D

Elmore said ushers in the stands will listen and watch for violators. Elmore, who goes to many of the games, said he also will be vigilant. He said he will not sit among the more rabid fans until he is confident they have stopped their errant ways.

Well, the ushers will probably get a beat down for standing during play, and Elmore will probably need to find a hobby for Friday-Saturday nights. :D:D

Dean of students Kenneth Elmore told The Boston Globe the school adopted the no-swearing policy after numerous complaints about profane language during hockey games.
Dog pound members aren't happy. Kendall Lyons, 18, called it an infringement on freedom of speech. And sports, he said, "won't be fun anymore."

It'll be more fun for a lot of other people, though.

Dog pound members aren't happy. Kendall Lyons, 18, called it an infringement on freedom of speech. And sports, he said, "won't be fun anymore."

It doesn't say much for your hockey team if the only part of the game you enjoy is the swearing. Heck, you can do that out in the woods without having to purchase a ticket if your total enjoyment is being able to swear. Makes one wonder about the quality of education and a game ticket being wasted on this individual.

It doesn't say much for your hockey team if the only part of the game you enjoy is the swearing. Heck, you can do that out in the woods without having to purchase a ticket if your total enjoyment is being able to swear. Makes one wonder about the quality of education and a game ticket being wasted on this individual.

It is pretty ridiculous that this particular person equates the fun with swearing and not the actual hockey game. However, Kendall's quote would have been much funnier had it been something like this:

"This is just total b*llsh*t and I am having my f***ing constitutional rights violated!"

"This is just total b*llsh*t and I am having my f***ing constitutional rights violated!"

I know from my criminal justic studies obscenities are protected free speech.

In more recent Supreme Court cases (Bethel School District v. Fraser in 1986 and Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier in 1988), the majority ruled that in the case of obscene speech, school authorities may discipline the perpetrator because the school has a right to control the manner of the speech if not the political content. Furthermore, in Hazelwood, the Court ruled that in curricular-based productions like an official school newspaper, school authorities have the right to regulate content in "any reasonable manner," taking into account the maturity of the audience and the reasonable desire to proscribe any student speech advocating use of drugs or alcohol, irresponsible sex, or improper conduct. Thus, school officials are given considerable discretion over the content of school-sponsored publications and performances.
Taking it further:

Bethel School District No. 403 v. Fraser

The Supreme Court finally attempted to set some limits on student First Amendment rights in the 1986 case of Bethel School District No. 403 v. Fraser. Matthew Fraser made a speech at an assembly full of obscenities and innuendoes. When school officials attempted to discipline him for his speech, he sued. The Supreme Court sided with the school.

The Court found that Fraser had failed the "substantial disorder" part of the Tinker test. CHIEFJUSTICE Warren Berger, writing for the majority, said that schools have a responsibility to instill students with "habits and manners of civility as values." The effect of Fraser's speech, suggested Berger, was to undermine this responsibility; therefore, he did not receive First Amendment protection for it. Not only can schools take into account whether speech is offensive to other students, said Berger, "the undoubted freedom to advocate unpopular and controversial views in schools and classrooms must be balanced against the society's countervailing interest in teaching students the BOUNDARIES of socially appropriate behavior." Bethel served notice that the Supreme Court saw limitations on student free speech rights. The next big school First Amendment case decided by the court served to emphasize that point.

It is pretty ridiculous that this particular person equates the fun with swearing and not the actual hockey game. However, Kendall's quote would have been much funnier had it been something like this:

He probably did, notice they paraphrased most of what he said.

I mean, he's 18. He probably didn't start following Terrier hockey until... oh, maybe 9 months ago.

The policy is based on similar rules at other schools, including the University of Wisconsin and Ohio State University, said Boston University spokesman Stephen Burgay.

Wisconsin?

Uh, don't they continue to have more than one organized chant that contains a wee bit of profanity?

Wisconsin?

Uh, don't they continue to have more than one organized chant that contains a wee bit of profanity?

They enforce the anti-swearing policy just like they enforce their policy of not playing teams with American Indian nicknames. :crazy::p:hypocrite:

They enforce the anti-swearing policy just like they enforce their policy of not playing teams with American Indian nicknames*. :crazy::p:hypocrite:

Oh, they enforce their moniker policy .... in the manner that makes them the most money, namely overlooking conference games in the Big Ten (Illini) and WCHA (Sioux).

That's called righteously holding onto your principles (the foremost being money).

a good Lab would never say things like that :hypocrite:

Fetch,

I think we might be happy our labs don't talk. I can only imagine sitting in the weeds as some ducks coming flying into the deks and then I miss an easy shot and watch the ducks fly off. I can only imagine what Dakota would say to me. :p

For the last Bison game the UND band was marching through the parking lot at the Alerus and a bunch of Bison fans decided to throw stuff at us as well. They tried grabbing people's instruments and were also shouting not so nice things at us. Thankfully the drummers started hitting back and some heroic Sioux fans came in and removed the trouble makers with some nice force.

For the last Bison game the UND band was marching through the parking lot at the Alerus and a bunch of Bison fans decided to throw stuff at us as well. They tried grabbing people's instruments and were also shouting not so nice things at us. Thankfully the drummers started hitting back and some heroic Sioux fans came in and removed the trouble makers with some nice force.

You shoulda whacked one of em upside the head with your trombone. That'd been cool.