SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Northern Iowa

Shawn-O

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diana

I wonder how many Bison fans will tune in to listen to the "Force of the North" this afternoon? Do us a favor...go back to Bisonville and find out.

GO SIOUX!!!

I would say that quite a few Bison fans will be tuning into this game. Bison have an off week and don't have much else to pay attention to this wknd besides some I-AA vs I-A matchups. With UND's impending move to I-AA, Bison fans will be naturally curious as to how UND stacks up, or doesn't stack up in the upper division. Just as I'm sure UND does. Let's face it, this is an exciting and telling day for Sioux athletics and many people look forward to today's game, including Bison fans.

I would say that quite a few Bison fans will be tuning into this game. Bison have an off week and don't have much else to pay attention to this wknd besides some I-AA vs I-A matchups. With UND's impending move to I-AA, Bison fans will be naturally curious as to how UND stacks up, or doesn't stack up in the upper division. Just as I'm sure UND does. Let's face it, this is an exciting and telling day for Sioux athletics and many people look forward to today's game, including Bison fans.

I tuned in when the Bison played Montana in '03, I'll tell you that right now.

If you want to get a pretty good idea of what to expect when the Bison play the Gophers, just go back one week to the Montana game vs. Iowa. The Bison are going to get absolutely destroyed, and I for one will enjoy every minute of it. They have no business being on the same field as anybody from the Big 10.

Northwestern falls to I-AA New Hampshire 34-17, that's right Davek a Big Ten bowl team just got dominated on their own field against a I-AA. NDSU can give the Gophers the game, most likely won't beat them but if the Gophers think they will sleepwalk to a win against NDSU they will be mistaken.

The gophers are down from most years so I don't expect a blowout even though I would love to see it.

That place will be rocking with Bison fans and alumni...think Iowa and Wisconsin. The longer it stays close....

This will be a fun game to go to as a Sioux fan in the Cities. There's an outside shot that Mason gets embarrassed to new proportions, or the Gophers could complete pulverize NDSU. It's really a win-win situation for all involved.

A lot of fans (myself included) like to see a North Dakota team make the news for big games. I would expect quite a few reasonable Bison fans to be interested in seeing how UND, with a completely D-II recruited class and 36 scholarships, does against a very top tier I-AA program.

I think he was making fun of those Bison fans, like "DI In Fargo" above, who would insist they don't care about UND, but who really despise UND so much that they'll be "secretly" listening to the game because they're so excited about the distinct possibility of UND getting trounced. Guys like this... Bisonville

It'll stay close for maybe half a quarter at best. I expect the Gophers to be up 10-0 or 14-0 after two possessions. The huge number of Bison fans will do nothing more than to ensure that the Gophers give it their best effort and not take these cupcakes lightly.

It didn't work that way for Stanford against UC Davis last year and I would say there isn't much of a difference between Stanford last year and Minnesota this year.

A lot of fans (myself included) like to see a North Dakota team make the news for big games. I would expect quite a few reasonable Bison fans to be interested in seeing how UND, with a completely D-II recruited class and 36 scholarships, does against a very top tier I-AA program.

I think he was making fun of those Bison fans, like "DI In Fargo" above, who would insist they don't care about UND, but who really despise UND so much that they'll be "secretly" listening to the game because they're so excited about the distinct possibility of UND getting trounced. Guys like this... Bisonville

BINGO

Looks like Tony lit into 'em a bit.

Looks like Tony lit into 'em a bit.

Read that post by Tony and he was spot on. Tony has had his clashes with this board and I find myself not agreeing with him all that much, but really, he said what everyone in Grand Forks AND Fargo should realize in that if you are so blinded by your distaste or hatred of the other town/school that you cannot root for such a team even if it benefits yours (not saying that this UNI loss benefits NDSU necessarily) then you really look like a jackass.

It's amazing to me both here and on the hockey board how much the hatred flows on both sides (NDSU v. UND in the football thread and UND vs Minnesota in the hockey thread). I don't like NDSU. I don't like Minnesota. But if they do well, I'll acknowledge it. If they do something embarrassing, I'll laugh at it. We don't have to like each other, we just have to respect each other as a program. We're not direct competitors so that excuse doesn't hold water.

Beyond the offensive totals by the Sioux, the stat that is most eye-opening is that UNI has zero turnovers, while UND effectively had two that hurt badly: the fumble at the one-yard line and the blocked punt late in the 4th.

Has UND ever had a speed duo like Dressler/Chappell at skill positions? UNI had to have been surprised by Chappell's moves and speed.

Beyond the offensive totals by the Sioux, the stat that is most eye-opening is that UNI has zero turnovers, while UND effectively had two that hurt badly: the fumble at the one-yard line and the blocked punt late in the 4th.

Has UND ever had a speed duo like Dressler/Chappell at skill positions? UNI had to have been surprised by Chappell's moves and speed.

I would say NO. Maybe the mid-80's with Willis Jacox and Tracy Martin, but those teams weren't good, and I'm pretty sure Chappell is considerably faster than Jacox was. I think the speed of Chappell and Phillip Moore is comparable, but I don't ever recall Phillip ever playing with a receiver with Dressler's speed.

I agree the Gophers won't be as good as they've been in recent years. That's why I only expect a 30 point margin of victory. If they had played NDSU last year or the year before I would have expected a 50 point margin.

The gophers looked horrible against California last night, the only bright spot I saw was the LB turned RB and his game wasn't all that stellar either.

I would say NO. Maybe the mid-80's with Willis Jacox and Tracy Martin, but those teams weren't good, and I'm pretty sure Chappell is considerably faster than Jacox was. I think the speed of Chappell and Phillip Moore is comparable, but I don't ever recall Phillip ever playing with a receiver with Dressler's speed.

What I love is that...."THEY ARE NORTH DAKOTA KIDS"

Great to see local talent excel...

WSU WILL BEAT UND NEXT WEEK AND TAKE THAT TO THE BANK.. :D:D

You are going to be banned pretty quick kid.

What a win, and like the Walrus said, it is great to see local ND kids being so instrumental in the victory. Get your tickets now for the Potato Bowl, I would imagine the win yesterday sold some additional tickets.

Waterloo-Cedar Falls articles:

State of shock: Sioux stun third-ranked Panthers

Fighting Sioux rip Panther defense to shreds

With Division II North Dakota providing the competition for Saturday's home opener, the third-ranked Panthers looked more like Garfield the Cat as they coughed up a 35-31 furball before a crowd of 11,010 that was at times electrified, but mostly stunned.

Fastest receiver we have ever had was Norm McGee. National D2 sprint champ and qualified for the Olympic trials as a sprinter. He didn't have great hands. Strouth and Chapell may be the fastest pair of RB's we have ever had and this is one of the deepest backfields ever with Manke and Belmore at QB ( can both throw and run), Beatty Brady, Chapell, Strouth and Christianson at RB/FB. You would have to go back to 1972 with Mike Deutsch, Mark Belmore, Mark Walker and Bobby Helman with Billy Deutsch and Dale Kasowski as Freshman to find a comparable group. They didn't have the speed these guys do. Jay Gustafson and Bruce Daucsavage were good QB's but they were both slow (>5.1 40 times). Fritz Pollard in the 1930's had great speed and was an Olympian. I don't know how fast Red Jarret was but he was recognized as one of the best in the country before they had multiple divisions. Jacox and Martin were the other two I can remember with great speed. I don't think either of them were as fast as Dressler or Chapell. UND has had great receivers and good depth at receiver during the Lennon years and this group is deep as well. Big athletic O-line. This should be a very good offense.