Hrkac_Circus

goalie for the rest of the year  

81 members have voted

1. 1. goalie for the rest of the year

• Marc Ranfranz
    • Josh Siembieda
    • Jake Brandt
    • Ryan Soffie

I would have to take Brandt. He has a tendency to give up some soft goals and juicy rebounds but lately he has picked it up a bit. He seems to give the team the best chance to win. I had high hopes for Siembida when he came in mid-season last year and played well. He has not shown the consistency needed in goal when he has played this year and other teams know he drops down too fast and they roof the puck on him. Rafranz has done Ok when he has gotten a chance. It is hard to know what he is capable of because he has not received the playing time. :)

Bottom line is not one of the goalies have proven they can win a game we weren't suppose to win. If ever a chance was presented, it was last Fri night. Brandt made some great saves, I'll give him that. But when the game was on the line he let in the weak one from the point. I was so hoping that was going to be the game that defined him. I guess we always have this weekend.

want to know why Sievbieda got to play last Saturday night and not Ranfranz?

I am sorry but, as alluded to in the article on the coaches show some decisions need to made next season. Someone is not going to be with the team next season. I mean that UND is not going to carry 5 goalies into the 2003-2004 season its not practical. I am hoping Lane S. is going to be better than any of our goalies we have this season, my gut says no though, I would bet two cut next season are probably going to be Ranfranz and Sofie but I wish the coaching staff would think about maybe cutting Josh and bringing in another top line recruit... Brandt would make a good back up...

I think in 1 1/2 season Josh has proved he is not a division one goalie... I would rather see a kid like Nate Ziegleman earning a scholarship than a .841 career save percentage goalie...

I absolutely agree that Nate Ziegelman would be better than what they have, especially since he wants to come to UND. He just turned down a 3/4 ride from Scott Sandelin and UMD, and CC is also looking at him. He is one of the better goalies in the USHL and has always been solid. Unfortunately, UND has not recruited him. I suspect that UND is not interested because of the glut of goalies and because Philipe Lamoreaux is coming in the next year. Pierre Lamoreaux (his dad) would probably not be happy if UND brought in another goalie. If not Nate Ziegelman, UND should bring in Lamoreaux a year early since he graduates this spring. Next year looks to be a potentially great year for UND. It would be a shame to see them fall short because of goaltending or lack thereof.

ALL HAIL CRAIG PERRY ! ! !

Hard to beat a shutout.  ... I didn't see the game, how did Josh look?

in a word SOLID. generally I hold my breath. I am happy to say I breathed freely tonight. Mich Tech may not be a top team, but Siembida didn't flop around or wander or give a multitude of rebounds out front. It was very encouraging. Congratulations to Siembida!

I agree Ranfranz can hang tough! Hes the type of goaltender this team needs.. Whats up with this musical chairs crap give him his shot... We want to win the whole damn thing don't we... Minnesota just beat Colorado Man things need to change.. How can you win 8-0 and then get your rears handed to you???? Its time for a goalie who can go game after game,, shot after shot ... we need the WALL !!! BUT thats just my opinion Thanks CHIEF

Unfortunately, Ziggy is not coming to UND next year. Blais never contacted him and contrary to what was posted on this board recently, Ziggy has not declined Sandelin's scholarship offer. He is still mulling things over, but will likely attend either CC or Duluth and may be leaning toward the Bulldogs.

I realize the Sioux stable will be full of goalies next year, but UND has bypassed a quality young man and very solid goalie in Ziggy.

And if the success of Potulny is any indication, Ziggy will likely shine no matter where he plays and will probably haunt the Sioux throughout his career.

BTW, Siouxrock, r u inn colegge?

I don't know, since Karl left we have not had the dominant force in the net... On the same page I dont think the Coach Blais has really put himself behind a goalie for more than a series. Not 2 weeks after Brant was announced the number 1 guy, Siembida starts both Tech games. So If hes not willing to go all out and put some faith behind some one he should go out and recruit a #1 calibre goalie.

That all being said...Blais has given the other Brant and Bida some starts lets give Ranfranz a "good game" (by saying good game, I mean not Canisius) and lets see what he can do. ???

Or maybe we can see if Cam Ellsworth(MTU), Kevin Rieter (AA) or Buckler (UW) wants to transfer ;)

There a number of posts about the goaltenders, and a lot of posts now directed at Dean Blais for his lack of patience with the goaltenders. Although there may be some validity to this argument, perhaps it is because Blais lacks confidence in the goalies and that his lack of confidence is justified.

Consider:

1. UND signed Brandt before he went to the USHL after a good career at Roseau. However, he struggled in the USHL and was even traded by Steve Johnson because he was the 3rd goaltender at Lincoln. Moorhead coaches used to tell the kids to shoot a lot because he was good for one soft goal a game. His problems with consistency have continued at UND. [Remember St. Cloud?]

2. Siembeda was the most heavily recruited goalie in the country last year. However, he was only 18 and had only played 1/2 year in the USHL. Thus, he may have been a bit overrated. He still has ability, but has a tendency to go down too quickly, has a huge 5-hole and leaves rebounds. I suspect that his problems are confidence, but we all know that Dean will play the goaltenders if they are consistent [e.g., Karl Goehring, Aaron Schweitzer]. Thus, you cannot pin the lack of confidence all on Dean Blais.

3. UND is one of the top programs in the country. Ask yourselves if Minnesota, BC, Michigan, Maine and CC would play goaltenders who lack consistency. The answer is obvious. The head coach cannot afford to be too patient at this level.

4. It is not acceptable that most of the other teams in the league, particularly schools with less recruiting advantages, have better goaltenders.

Personally, I would like to see Coach Blais bring in a high profile goaltender. Next year's team has a chance to be special, but will only go as far as the goaltending. I simply do not have confidence in any of the current goaltenders to think they can do what Belfour, Goehring, Casey or Schweitzer did. Dean may not be patient with his goalies, and I hope he continues to strive for the best and not settle for mediocrity or below. Nobody shed a tear when Yurecko or Possin left because they didn't produce. Why the double standard with goaltenders?

There a number of posts about the goaltenders, and a lot of posts now directed at Dean Blais for his lack of patience with the goaltenders. Although there may be some validity to this argument, perhaps it is because Blais lacks confidence in the goalies and that his lack of confidence is justified.

2. Siembeda was the most heavily recruited goalie in the country last year. However, he was only 18 and had only played 1/2 year in the USHL. Thus, he may have been a bit overrated. He still has ability, but has a tendency to go down too quickly, has a huge 5-hole and leaves rebounds. I suspect that his problems are confidence, but we all know that Dean will play the goaltenders if they are consistent [e.g., Karl Goehring, Aaron Schweitzer]. Thus, you cannot pin the lack of confidence all on Dean Blais.

3. UND is one of the top programs in the country. Ask yourselves if Minnesota, BC, Michigan, Maine and CC would play goaltenders who lack consistency. The answer is obvious. The head coach cannot afford to be too patient at this level.

4. It is not acceptable that most of the other teams in the league, particularly schools with less recruiting advantages, have better goaltenders.

Personally, I would like to see Coach Blais bring in a high profile goaltender. Next year's team has a chance to be special, but will only go as far as the goaltending. I simply do not have confidence in any of the current goaltenders to think they can do what Belfour, Goehring, Casey or Schweitzer did. Dean may not be patient with his goalies, and I hope he continues to strive for the best and not settle for mediocrity or below. Nobody shed a tear when Yurecko or Possin left because they didn't produce. Why the double standard with goaltenders?

My vote is for Ranny - he is THE WALL and I agree that he's cute also -- very cute!

???

Anyone know what year Rany is in college.

I believe his time is running out, isn't he a Senior next season...

I hope can hang in there next season...