SiouxSports.com Forum

Potts Resigns

SiouxMD

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapman at Work

Potts wrote in the letter that NDSU President Joe Chapman was, in his words, "actively engaging in a course of conduct designed to undermine the effectiveness, if not the very existence of the university system."

I believe we will see the trickle of information continue. If what Potts says is true, it could be the undoing of Chapman. The big question is does he have anything to substantiate or corroborate this or is this just what he felt was happening.

Why would it be the undoing of Chapman?

Chapman's actions began in 2005 during the legislative session. Everyone in the know knew he was there and the SBOHE chose not to reprimand him.

They picked Chapman over Potts when all the latter was trying to do was his job.

If anything the SBOHE is a co-conspirator.

Chapman's actions began in 2005 during the legislative session. Everyone in the know knew he was there and the SBOHE chose not to reprimand him.

They picked Chapman over Potts when all the latter was trying to do was his job.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the light shines very brightly on any of them, but if this "course of conduct" can be demonstrated and proven, Chapman may be the fall guy.

Iowa you seem to have pretty good pulse on what is going on in the SBoHE, so I trust what you when you say everyone knew, but that does not excuse any of them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the light shines very brightly on any of them, but if this "course of conduct" can be demonstrated and proven, Chapman may be the fall guy.

Iowa you seem to have pretty good pulse on what is going on in the SBoHE, so I trust what you when you say everyone knew, but that does not excuse any of them.

Why would Chapman be the fall guy?

By everyone, I meant the SBHOE, the legislature, the governor, all university presidents.

He's got nothing to fall for. Nor does the SBHOE given the AG's opinion.

I have a completely different take on this than many of you. IMO Chapman is 'fricken' golden right now, he's completed the second bold step in shaking up higher education in North Dakota (the first being going to the legislature in '05).

He is completely out of line doing it, but no one is stopping him and many (the SBOHE and the governor) seem to support him.

I'm wondering what you would be saying if Kupchella was the president in question and not Chapman. Would you be saying the same thing?

He is completely out of line doing it, but no one is stopping him ...

Going rogue? Hey, it's his choice.

Going rogue and then developing a case of "selective memory" © IowaBison with the AG during a possible Century Code violation investigation? Poor form. And it will shadow him with some level of mistrust and skepticism with many for some time. Sadly, the shadow will cast over not just hime but the whole NDUS and SBoHE.

Why would Chapman be the fall guy?

He is completely out of line doing it, but no one is stopping him and many (the SBOHE and the governor) seem to support him.

"Seem to support". If the defecation hits the rotary oscillator, they will all be ducking for cover. That is when someone (Chapman?) will be targeted. He will be the most visible in this mess, as you demonstrated in your post and will have the biggest target on his backside.

Maybe you're right and they will all back each other up, but I know how politics can go and alliances deteriorate. Maybe not in North Dakota, but it sure happens elsewhere. I know Louisiana is a whole different animal from North Dakota and this mess quite obviously doesn't compare to Katrina. but look what happened there. Longtime friendships and alliances were broken. Escambia County, Florida where I live always seems to have some political intrigue going on from the school board to the sheriffs office to the county commissioners and you neve know who is going to cut who off or side with the opposition.

"Seem to support". If the defecation hits the rotary oscillator, they will all be ducking for cover. That is when someone (Chapman?) will be targeted. He will be the most visible in this mess, as you demonstrated in your post and will have the biggest target on his backside.

One could infer that the lack of support of Potts, the position of Chancellor, and the absence of any formal reprimand was in fact a referendum in support or President Chapman and his actions.

One could infer that the lack of support of Potts, the position of Chancellor, and the absence of any formal reprimand was in fact a referendum in support or President Chapman and his actions.

Yes one could. But then again, one could get chastised for inferring things from the record of events, like this.

If that is the case, say goodbye to the SBoHE and NDUS.

If the question, "Is Chapman's position in jeopardy?"

I'd say no.

However, the next logical question is:

Seeing what happened to his last boss, would you want to be the guy that hires him and has him working under you?

You really have a thing for Dr. Chapman.

Therein lies the difference between some NDSU fans and myself. You think that I have a problem with the actions of the SBoHE and Dr. Chapman because I am a UND alum. Because I'm a UND alum, some NDSU fans believe I hate everything about NDSU. WRONG!!! As I have said before, I loved the UND/NDSU football rivalry and had the best times at those games. Doesn't mean I HATE NDSU. Without a good rivalry, sports would be BOOORRRING!! I have fun with the UND/NDSU rivalry. Doesn't mean I hate NDSU. Those of you who keep telling me I hate NDSU, I have a thing for Chapman (I like my men much younger!) or I'm obsessing about NDSU should get your heads out of the tunnel. Not everything is about one's alma mater.

If Kupchella or anyother University President was the dirt bag in this same slimy scenario, I would be saying the same about him or her. You don't know me and assume that I wouldn't. Those who know me, know better. As far as I'm concerned, this is not about NDSU vs every other school in the state. It's about dirty politics, lies, collusion in a government system that is suppose to be impartial.

You applaud Chapman's process because the end justifies the means for you. I don't agree. If my son got the kidney that should have gone to your son because I'm a big shot in the health care system, HURRAY for me. My son lives. Our family and friends could care less about the 'right way' to get a kidney. Our loved one lives. Your just jealous because I know how to get what I want and you don't. TOO BAD.

You applaud Chapman's process because the end justifies the means for you. I don't agree. If my son got the kidney that should have gone to your son because I'm a big shot in the health care system, HURRAY for me. My son lives. Our family and friends could care less about the 'right way' to get a kidney. Our loved one lives. Your just jealous because I know how to get what I want and you don't. TOO BAD.

And you're kidney donation analogy is attrocious.

That kidney scenario is what reality would become if the ND SBoHE was disbanded.

And you're kidney donation analogy is attrocious.

Really? Why?

If the means justifies the end in one scenario, who's to say it doesn't in all scenarios? Certainly not some NDSU/Chapman supporters who see nothing wrong with his doing whatever it takes to get what he wants for NDSU.

Why can't I use my influence to get what I want for my 'special interest'? You yourself have posted that the SBoHE and the Governor are ok with Chapman's 'the end justifies the means' methods. Why aren't you calling their actions atrocious?

Edited by Sioux-cia

You're referring to President Chapman as a dirt bag, that is absolutely ridiculous.

You're right, that was out of line.

Back stabbing liar is a more appropriate description and supported by the facts in the AG's report and the subsequent interviews of Chapman and Co. :crazy:

You're right, that was out of line.

Back stabbing liar is a more appropriate description and supported by the facts in the AG's report and the subsequent interviews of Chapman and Co. :crazy:

Your brash use of language discounts any value in your argument. And I'm inclined to belief that your statements would change dramatically if aired in public.

As I test of my hypothesis I ask you to state at five different occassions to at least five different people that

"President Chapman is a dirt bag" and

"President Chapman is a back stabbing liar"

if those are appropriate descriptions, I'm sure you'd be willing to share it with anyone, right? :ohmy: