SiouxSports.com Forum

UND declaring internal Division 1 move

D1sioux

not sure where i should post this... but other than this upcoming year (06-07) would the nickname issue not affect UND? hockey won't be hosting any ncaa events because the WCHA 1st round playoffs don't count. so in essence, UND has 5? years to figure out the nickname issue without being affected in post-season play.

Our student athletes,including the band, cannot wear our name and logo in any post season NC$$ sponsered events>>Regionals, Frozen Four, etc.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading some of these posts reminds me of a bunch of punch lines,

"... three inches across the head"

"....touches the bottom of the urinal"

"....hang low"

"...hit the barn"

So how do we determine the winner? Ruler or yard stick?

??? Sure glad I don't have that extra stuff to worry about. :lol:

i saw dlsiouxfan over on d2football.com make a nice post about UND's going D1, if any one else cares, UND is being bashed by just about everybody in the d 2 ranks right bout now.

I was at a Blueline luncheon in Grand Forks a few years ago and Dean Blais was talking. Someone in the audience asked him if NDSU would add Hockey since they are in DI sports now. Dean laughed and said NDSU made the dumbest decision to go DI and they will be broke in 5 years because of it. I wonder if Deano thinks UND will be broke in 5 years.

I was at a Blueline luncheon in Grand Forks a few years ago and Dean Blais was talking. Someone in the audience asked him if NDSU would add Hockey since they are in DI sports now. Dean laughed and said NDSU made the dumbest decision to go DI and they will be broke in 5 years because of it. I wonder if Deano thinks UND will be broke in 5 years.

I think he should stick to coaching hockey. ???

UND was broke three years ago! ???

Let me know when college hockey gets exciting and then we talk.

(Stick in the hornets nest ??? )

1. Minnesota High School

2. Olympics (Pre-NHL days)

3. NHL

4. Olympics

5. Canadian Jr's

6. USHL

7. Minnesota Girls High School

8. ND High School Boys Hockey

9. ND High School Girls Hockey

10. NCAA DI Hockey

Hey BisonMav, You forgot a couple.

And yet NDSU got more national press for a win @ Wisconsin than any UND Hockey national championship has ever gotten.

And yet that victory, which will no doubt be NDSU's crowning achievement in DI, is all but forgotten by everyone. BTW, do know if NDSU is planning on having a banner raising at the BSA for that monumental victory?

And yet NDSU got more national press for a win @ Wisconsin than any UND Hockey national championship has ever gotten.

net result for ndsu?? 500 more fans PACKED into the BSA than your season average (3000) at your next home BB game!! WOW!! beat Wisconsin the next 10 times you play them and you might get near the BSA's capacity ;) Ever hear of the infamous "15 minutes of fame?" - CONGRATS!! that was it!

We've had more FUN winning our seven DI Hockey Titles (regardless of "national press coverage" than you chumps ever thought of having!!)

Even when ndsu was a serious D2 contender who really cared about it? That history is exactly what you've staked your big move on - yet you piss on D2 now like it's irrelevant!! Heres' the real deal - no one cares about wrestling, softball, or cowchip tossing (but I have to say ndsu RULES in that competition!) You like to bank your recent "reputation" on your dominance of D2??? :lol:;)??? WIN SOMETHING BIG and we'll talk!!

I'll take the atmosphere and camraderie at the Ralph for Sioux Hockey at the last West Regional or traveling to ANY Frozen Four we've been too over the last 10 years (win or lose) than anything you guys have experienced in the last 20 years! We're having a blast and you losers CAN'T STAND IT!!! You pulled the chute too early and no one cares....now we're doing it and you're reacting with the class everyone would expect from you... (now who has sour grapes?) Grow a pair you wimps!!

We've had more FUN winning our seven DI Hockey Titles (regardless of "national press coverage" than you chumps ever thought of having!!)

Fun is relative to the participating person. I am just not into college hockey or name calling. ;)

Even when ndsu was a serious D2 contender who really cared about it? That history is exactly what you've staked your big move on - yet you piss on D2 now like it's irrelevant!! Heres' the real deal - no one cares about wrestling, softball, or cowchip tossing (but I have to say ndsu RULES in that competition!) You like to bank your recent "reputation" on your dominance of D2??? :lol:;)???WIN SOMETHING BIG and we'll talk!!

The DII and College Division Championships by NDSU and UND were great, and were fun for each school.

I'll take the atmosphere and camraderie at the Ralph for Sioux Hockey at the last West Regional or traveling to ANY Frozen Four we've been too over the last 10 years (win or lose) than anything you guys have experienced in the last 20 years! We're having a blast and you losers CAN'T STAND IT!!! You pulled the chute too early and no one cares....now we're doing it and you're reacting with the class everyone would expect from you... (now who has sour grapes?) Grow a pair you wimps!!

I am glad you enjoy college hockey. I am not going to call you a loser because I like something else better. ;)

Fun is relative to the participating person. I am just not into college hockey or name calling. ;)

The DII and College Division Championships by NDSU and UND were great, and were fun for each school.

I am glad you enjoy college hockey. I am not going to call you a loser because I like something else better. ;)

Bison Mav guy has a good point. Winning the DII FB championships was a blast for them and us. I hope we get to go back to Florence before we move up to the next level of minor league college FB. I also agree with him that we should both move up to Division IA in FB as well.

Frankly, if you strap on the skates or the helmet whether you are at St. John's for their Divison III title or at our schools for the Division II title it was a blast. So were the hockey championships. If we pretend to lessen the accomplishments of the Division II athletes especially now, we don't seem to have the same class that UND is supposed to have. If it were easy we would have done it many more times and so would they have.

I must also say that overall, Bison Mav and the Minneapolis Bison guy have been a pretty good read on what has to be a less than friendly board for them.

It should be fun to renew our football dominence in the near future!

Bison Mav guy has a good point. Winning the DII FB championships was a blast for them and us. I hope we get to go back to Florence before we move up to the next level of minor league college FB. I also agree with him that we should both move up to Division IA in FB as well.

I think going IA would be huge mistake for either UND or NDSU. I think the most success we could ever hope to achieve would be on the scale of the Gophers, and that would be a huge stretch to even assume that. And the Gopher football program is nothing to brag about in IA circles. And despite their mediocrity, it would be pretty hard to recruit IA players with U of M so close by. Both the UND and NDSU football programs can be built up to be something to brag about in IAA circles. I also would much prefer to have the IAA playoffs and championship to strive for than something like "Ed's Bait Shop Bowl". IA football doesn't interest me in the least, I don't know why it is being brought up when we are only 3 days removed from finding out that we will join I-AA three years from now. Let's concentrate on preparing our football program for the highest level of play that offers an NCAA championship, and concentrate on building our basketball programs up to a level where they can be competetive in DI. Let's keep the horse in front of the cart.

Taking two years ('08/'09) to get to the first year of D-I transition (U of Central Ark in 06, SDSU in 03) would be good for UND and the NCC.

1) Keeps you in compliance with the 18 month NCC process. No penalty.

2) If the NCC is going to move in mass to D-I, then gives the schools an additional year to get their act together, and convince state legislatures that this is happening, and it's good for the schools.

3) UND will come off after 3 years of waffling as being decisive, having a solid plan and vision, and be able to LEAD the NCC forward to D-I.

4) Allows the NCC time to find existing auto-bid conferences that may consider bringing these schools into their conferences, but after much of the transition issues are worked thru.

5) Resolves conference issues.

6) Gives the athletic dept. a year to demo how to make this work financially.

7) Assists UND in determining what sports to look at for D-I. Still think that LaX is best choice for UND, dropping baseball.

8) Gives time to NCC members to make the NCC/NSIC conference a go, and UND gets to focus on reconnecting with _DSU's. And in a timeframe that is much more conducive to all 3 schools. Much conference rearranging is going to happen in '10 at the D-I level.

9) At UND, assists in having all "PLAYERS" come out with a "win". EVERYBODY will know what the successful end product will look like.

10) Helps the fans and alumni the opportunity to demonstrate that they support the move and higher prices for tix and stuff the stadiums/arenas, and possibly pick up a NC or two in D-II in the last two years. Both the Bunnies and Bison succeeded in doing so, and that would be a great send-off.

Downside - Transition adds a year.

I hope that Kupchella declares going D-I, but waiting to '07 for exploratory year. That appears better than rushing into exploratory year in '06.

Best of success Sioux! Can read that this has been a painful journey. Hope the pain of indecision is through soon.

I'm sure that UND will learn from the mistakes of NDSU. Seriously, not a put down.

I would have to say that NDSU is doing better than Northern Colorado in some respects, but UNC did get that invite to the Big Sky Conference. That makes up any ground they may have lost in the transition.

I'm sure that UND will learn from the mistakes of NDSU. Seriously, not a put down.

I would have to say that NDSU is doing better than Northern Colorado in some respects, but UNC did get that invite to the Big Sky Conference. That makes up any ground they may have lost in the transition.

UNC got invited to the Big Sky because of geography, and really that is the only reason.

What do you think that atmosphere and camraderie at the Ralph would be if they took away the two bars and the beer and liquor sales? I know several "fans" that would not be going to those games if it wasn't just one big happy hour. Same for the basketball games, I had never heard of a University advertising to get people to come out to a game early for "dollar hour". Now that's family entertainment.

Actually, there were no alcohol sales at the West Regional, as it was an NCAA event. But I do agree that there seems to be an overemphasis on alcohol being part of the the enjoyment of games. This is especially disconcerting knowing the level or binge drinking and alcoholism in this region.

What do you think that atmosphere and camraderie at the Ralph would be if they took away the two bars and the beer and liquor sales? I know several "fans" that would not be going to those games if it wasn't just one big happy hour. Same for the basketball games, I had never heard of a University advertising to get people to come out to a game early for "dollar hour". Now that's family entertainment.

At the old Ralph, there was no alcohol served. There was a three or more year waiting list for season tickets before the move to the new Ralph.