SiouxSports.com Forum

NCC

SiouxMD

If (when?) UND goes DI it's almost a given that UN-Omaha is going to the MIAA. Would the NCC be able to lure Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan from the GLIAC? Travel from those two to SCSU, MSU-Mankato, UM-Duluth, Augustana, and USD wouldn't be too bad. (It's the UND and UNO trips that get really long for the Upper Peninsula schools.)

Then again, if any other NCC school is making any type of gesture at DI (SCSU? USD?) would Tech or Northern want to leave the stability of the GLIAC?

It's going to get more confusing before clearer.

If (when?) UND goes DI it's almost a given that UN-Omaha is going to the MIAA. Would the NCC be able to lure Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan from the GLIAC? Travel from those two to SCSU, MSU-Mankato, UM-Duluth, Augustana, and USD wouldn't be too bad. (It's the UND and UNO trips that get really long for the Upper Peninsula schools.)

Then again, if any other NCC school is making any type of gesture at DI (SCSU? USD?) would Tech or Northern want to leave the stability of the GLIAC?

It's going to get more confusing before clearer.

Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech have already turned the NCC down, the reason being that the schools didn't want to cut ties with lower Michigan. I also understand that the NCC has contacted schools as far away as the Milwaukee area (Wisconsin-Parkside) about membership.

If the NCC does ultimately fall apart, the timing of UND's classification study will have played a major role. I believe the NCC was very close to getting a couple of schools to join late last fall, but they quickly backed off when UND announced the study. If UND had waited a few months it's quite likely that a couple of new schools would have joined the NCC making UND's departure far less damaging.

Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech have already turned the NCC down, the reason being that the schools didn't want to cut ties with lower Michigan. I also understand that the NCC has contacted schools as far away as the Milwaukee area (Wisconsin-Parkside) about membership.

If the NCC does ultimately fall apart, the timing of UND's classification study will have played a major role. I believe the NCC was very close to getting a couple of schools to join late last fall, but they quickly backed off when UND announced the study. If UND had waited a few months it's quite likely that a couple of new schools would have joined the NCC making UND's departure far less damaging.

Are you at liberty to say who those two schools may have been?

Are you at liberty to say who those two schools may have been?

One of the schools was Winona State but I'm not sure who the other school was (I'm guessing someone in the NSIC). I have also been told that if UND for some reason decides against D-I and commits long term to the NCC, Winona will still be joining the conference. Of course all of this will be a moot point sometime in the next 10 days when UND announces that it is going D-I. :silly:

What are the chances that the NCC is going to go D-1?

The North Central is also looking at moving as a conference to the Division I level, Thomas said.
I would not like to see the NCC disappear for ever and I think it would be pretty cool to have a D-1 NCC. I have hardly any idea on the feasibility of a move to D-1 though. Thanks for any replies.

What are the chances that the NCC is going to go D-1? I would not like to see the NCC disappear for ever and I think it would be pretty cool to have a D-1 NCC. I have hardly any idea on the feasibility of a move to D-1 though. Thanks for any replies.

A D-I NCC is not feasible over the long-term because an entirely new conference must wait 13 years before being eligible for an auto-bid to the basketball tourney. I could see a D-I NCC working in the short term (during everyone's transition) for scheduling convenience but it would eventually be doomed to failure as the schools got close to being postseason eligible. Everyone would be looking to leave the NCC at that point to get into a league that offers an auto-bid.

A D-I NCC is not feasible over the long-term because an entirely new conference must wait 13 years before being eligible for an auto-bid to the basketball tourney. I could see a D-I NCC working in the short term (during everyone's transition) for scheduling convenience but it would eventually be doomed to failure as the schools got close to being postseason eligible. Everyone would be looking to leave the NCC at that point to get into a league that offers an auto-bid.

Long term 13 years is nothing, much better than what is currently available for conferences. F'in Midcon is not worth it long term, Big Sky is 50/50.

Long term 13 years is nothing, much better than what is currently available for conferences. F'in Midcon is not worth it long term, Big Sky is 50/50.

I agree. Also, UND and NDSU would likely be the kingpins of a D1 NCC and would have frequent shots at a tourney bid, which likely wouldn't be the case in any other league. Also costs would be much lower travel-wise and existing rivalries maintained. It would also be a much better situation for the hockey schools if the dreaded Big 10 hockey conference came to pass, as the remaining WCHA could take on the NCC name and then be recognized as an all-sports conference, which has a stronger standing within the NCAA.

Cratter -Long term 13 years is nothing, much better than what is currently available for conferences. F'in Midcon is not worth it long term, Big Sky is 50/50.

Let Mid-con select the DSU's, get them thru transition, and become the foundation of the Mid-con, which giving their facilities, size, complete athletic programs relative to the rest of the conference they will become. Starting in '10, major shifts are going to begin in D-I. At that time, opportunities for NCC move-ups will open up.

Start with the NCC to D-I, and in about 5-7 years, Mid-con will become consolidated along I-29/I-80.

Cratter -Long term 13 years is nothing, much better than what is currently available for conferences. F'in Midcon is not worth it long term, Big Sky is 50/50.

Let Mid-con select the DSU's, get them thru transition, and become the foundation of the Mid-con, which giving their facilities, size, complete athletic programs relative to the rest of the conference they will become. Starting in '10, major shifts are going to begin in D-I. At that time, opportunities for NCC move-ups will open up.

Start with the NCC to D-I, and in about 5-7 years, Mid-con will become consolidated along I-29/I-80.

Mr. Kupchella has been quoted as saying the Mid Con is not a viable option for UND at this time....which leaves the Big Sky...which I am not sure how great of a option this is as well....

Mr. Kupchella has been quoted as saying the Mid Con is not a viable option for UND at this time....which leaves the Big Sky...which I am not sure how great of a option this is as well....

I always thought that beggars can't be choosers.

UND is now right in line with NDSU and SDSU.