SiouxSports.com Forum

Potts blasts Chapman

PCM

From the Fargo Forum:

Chancellor: Either NDSU pres shapes up, or I'm gone

Robert Potts, North Dakota's university chancellor, said he will quit unless North Dakota State University President Joe Chapman is made to acknowledge Potts' authority as the state's top college administrator.

"I simply see a need to bring this issue to a head and get it resolved," Potts told the state Board of Higher Education on Thursday. "There can't be, I guess, two heads to a system."

In North Dakota's university system, the chancellor is the top administrator and reports directly to the board. However, the presidents of the system's 11 colleges often consult board members, and speak at Board of Higher Education meetings.

Potts said the system works well with every college president except Chapman, whom Potts said "basically thumbs his nose at me."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been rumors for some time about Chapman's behavior: pulling political strings to get what he wants no matter the casualties in ND beyond NDSU. Have to wonder if the legislature won't get involved in this - especially with the possible violation of open meetings law by the Board of Higher Education, likely engineered by Chapman and John Q. Paulsen to get rid of Potts. Another question to be answered: Did Chapman agree to withdraw from consideration for the U of Wyoming job if Paulsen et. al. got rid of Potts.

There has been rumors for some time about Chapman's behavior: pulling political strings to get what he wants no matter the casualties in ND beyond NDSU. Have to wonder if the legislature won't get involved in this - especially with the possible violation of open meetings law by the Board of Higher Education, likely engineered by Chapman and John Q. Paulsen to get rid of Potts. Another question to be answered: Did Chapman agree to withdraw from consideration for the U of Wyoming job if Paulsen et. al. got rid of Potts.

Casualties in ND beyond NDSU ? You want to enlighten us or be more specific ? Last time I checked the state was finally starting to turn around...Where is this casualty you speak of ?

Pott's Ultimatum :

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...18&section=News

From article :

[During discussion of the motion, Paulsen told Potts it seemed the chancellor was presenting the board with an “impossible choice”: to side with either him or Chapman.]

We are paying the man $183,750/year for this drama? I don't think this is the best way he should have gone about doing this, and it may eventually lead to him leaving. So be it.

I'd be more curious to hear why UnkyJoe thinks ndsu is so "special" they should be considered "different" from the other colleges in ND?? Is it because they're a (self described) "BIG di univeristy?:silly:??" More money perhaps? Do you guys need it??? :D

I seem to remember when Potts kicked UND out of Fargo the up roar on this board about it and the great Mr. Potts. This is all about money and what each university wants.

Makes sense to me.

If one of my bosses demanded that I recognize his authority, it would be a no-brainer to say "of course he has authority over this and this; sorry there was ever any confusion". On the other hand, if the rest of the organization allowed me to disregard the authority granted to him and permitted me to act autonomously in those areas, I would expect him to want to get the hell out of this demonstrably dysfunctional organization.

Makes sense to me.

If one of my bosses demanded that I recognize his authority, it would be a no-brainer to say "of course he has authority over this and this; sorry there was ever any confusion". On the other hand, if the rest of the organization allowed me to disregard the authority granted to him and permitted me to act autonomously in those areas, I would expect him to want to get the hell out of this demonstrably dysfunctional organization.

On the other hand if you disregarded your bosses demand, he wouldn't be the one leaving. He'd fire your a$$!

I'd be more curious to hear why UnkyJoe thinks ndsu is so "special" they should be considered "different" from the other colleges in ND?? Is it because they're a (self described) "BIG di univeristy?:silly:??" More money perhaps? Do you guys need it??? :D

Boy you don't want to open that pandoras box, Special? Need more money? What university and thier president are siouxing (pun intended) over a naming rights issue which by most peoples opinion is a no brainer? Why is UND so special that they alone shouldn't have to change their name yet other universities do? Talk about the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. What is it about unky kuppy that he thinks he's so special?

Siouxmenow you are nothing but a hypocrite

What university and thier president are siouxing (pun intended) over a naming rights issue which by most peoples opinion is a no brainer? Why is UND so special that they alone shouldn't have to change their name yet other universities do?
That's actually not a horrible analogy, there are some similarities. In both situations, autonomous institutions belong to a larger organization which has authority over certain areas of the institutions' activities. In both there's a clash between the organization's desire to regulate and the institution's desire for autonomous operation in its own self-interest.

However, there are some notable differences. NDSU is owned by the state which created the NDSBoHE explicitly to exercise certain supervision over NDSU, whereas the NCAA is voluntary organization run by the member institutions. More to the point, the NDSBoHE's rules grant it the authorities in question over NDSU; where the NCAA's rules specifically grant the authorities in question to the member institution (in this case, UND).

The sad fact is that most of opposition from UND folks over Chapman is motivated by jealousy and antipathy towards NDSU.

You forgot Tony that this is all about money. Chapman thinks (and is right) that NDSU get the short end of the stick on funding, yet he leads the most progressive university in ND. The amount of research dollars, new high tech jobs created, and growth are unquestioned. But like all our public education systems, whether it's secondary or higher, its all based on a rush to the bottom.

The sad fact is that most of opposition from UND folks over Chapman is motivated by jealousy and antipathy towards NDSU.
Generalize much? I certainly don't have any antipathy towards NDSU and can't imagine what would lead me to be jealous of a University. If you can honestly defend Chapman as being on the right side of this situation, contribute such to the discussion; throwing blanket insults at all of us who dare discuss it doesn't really accomplish that. :silly:

Chapman attempting to improve NDSU is his job and its good for the state. Attempting to do it outside of North Dakota University governance is bad for the state. A potential breakdown in governance is a bad thing for everyone, every man for himself is not the way to run a state university system.

The news articles are ridiculously vague as to the actual situations and alleged transgressions. However, if Chapman is operating like all the other Presidents within the guidelines of NDUS governance, he should have absolutely no problem pointing that out and acknowledging Potts role in those areas over which he has authority. Purportedly, that's all he's asking for.

Boy you don't want to open that pandoras box, Special? Need more money? What university and thier president are siouxing (pun intended) over a naming rights issue which by most peoples opinion is a no brainer? Why is UND so special that they alone shouldn't have to change their name yet other universities do? Talk about the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. What is it about unky kuppy that he thinks he's so special?

Siouxmenow you are nothing but a hypocrite

Glad to see you've been paying such close attention to the NCAA's nickname situation. :silly:

I'm sick of anonymous sources, UND legislative and media hallelujah choir, and guys like Potts who don't even have the man-berries to pronounce Chapman's name much less give a coherent list of grievances.

Without specifics FROM POTTS (not a bunch of turf-protecting hacks from UND), all we are left with is a grown man throwing a tantrum because he has a problem with Chapman himself rather than anything Chapman has done.

I'm sick of anonymous sources, UND legislative and media hallelujah choir, and guys like Potts who don't even have the man-berries to pronounce Chapman's name much less give a coherent list of grievances.

Without specifics FROM POTTS (not a bunch of turf-protecting hacks from UND), all we are left with is a grown man throwing a tantrum because he has a problem with Chapman himself rather than anything Chapman has done.

You seem angry today...why don't you go back to Bisonville for a group hug and come back when you are feeling better.

Funny you keep mentioning UND, but the article never mentioned UND or any other colleges in North Daktoa.

I guess theres a disagreement between NDSU and someone else UND must be involved somehow. :silly:

Funny you keep mentioning UND, but the article never mentioned UND or any other colleges in North Daktoa.

I guess theres a disagreement between NDSU and someone else UND must be involved somehow. :silly:

Thank you. I was about to make the same point.

It's that "Marcia Complex" the little sisters to the south have that makes them less coherent than normal. :D:D

Funny!, NDSU is being talked about on a UND messageboard. :D