SiouxSports.com Forum

Potts blasts Chapman

PCM

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really with Aff on this one. Sure, specifics of the grievances between the two would be nice message board fodder, but otherwise only matter in the battle of egos. What happens next doesn't really depend on whether Potts is 100% in the right and Chapman has been flagrantly ignoring and disrespecting the Board, or whether Potts is 100% wrong and Chapman has been the consummate team player.

Potts is demanding the Board to affirm and clearly define what authorities he has over the System and Chapman. If Chapman has been playing by the rules the whole time, reaffirming those rules would just serve to placate Potts' baseless concern. If Chapman hasn't, reaffirming those rules would bring Chapman in line. Either way, we hit the desired outcome of the Board's authority being well-defined; the only real difference is whose ego is most bruised on the way to that outcome.

On the other hand, if Chapman hasn't been playing by the rules, the complicit Board may refuse to reaffirm Potts authorities and continue to let Chapman flout the system. In that situation, Potts would understandably resign from the demonstratedly dysfunctional system which promised him certain authorities and refused to uphold them.

I'm really with Aff on this one. Sure, specifics of the grievances between the two would be nice message board fodder, but otherwise only matter in the battle of egos.

For me, it has nothing to do with "nice message board fodder." I think the people who are footing the bill for higher education in North Dakota have a right to know what's going on. Our elected and appointed officials owe us an explanation.

For me, it has nothing to do with "nice message board fodder." I think the people who are footing the bill for higher education in North Dakota have a right to know what's going on. Our elected and appointed officials owe us an explanation.

I agree. (Weird feeling I'm getting while agreeing with a Sioux fan....) :silly::D:D

I have no idea whats going on? And please, don't ever state the "I can't find anything wrong with Chapman doing his job to the best of his ability either". If he isn't working within the NDUS system, guess what? HE ISN'T DOING HIS JOB. If he refuses to listen to his superior HE ISN'T DOING HIS JOB. There isn't a problem with him doing his best within the framework of the NDUS, but when he goes outside of that, he is dead wrong, and everyone knows that.

I am absolutely sure that Potts has distributed money in the way that he thinks is best FOR ALL of the schools in the state, so that they are able to fullfill their missions for the WHOLE STATE.

Could you please present your source of information or are you just sure? That's way to funny

You're right, everyone is against NDSU, theres a big conspiracy. Potts is out to screw you guys. I think you're the one that needs a source the Potts is trying to screw NDSU. I would think that most NEUTRAL people would think that the administrator of the system is doing his best to distribute funds to all the schools as equally as possible. Where is this source that he isn't? Oh, wait, Chapman said so, and he took you D-I, so he must be right. You thinking that I need a source to prove that there isn't a conspiracy against NDSU is way too funny.

You dont want to discuss or go into the funding issue but you just managed to dive right into it without knowing any facts. You have just proved by this comment how idiotic this whole post is not to mention you blew away any or your alleged neutrality.

So please, enlighten me to these "facts". Funny how you demand to see all these "facts", and yet you're entire idiotic post doesnt' present a single "fact". Maybe in the future take some of your own advice. What are the facts? That NDSU is the victim of a great UND conspiracy theory to underfund the school? Give me a break, you have to be the biggest homer on earth to believe that. Oh, wait though, me, the one that spends time on this board mostly blasting people from UND, I'm the one that isn't neutral. No, for Neurtrality, we all need to turn to D-I in Fargo. There's a guy with no allegiance. Seriously, read what I've posted before. Does it sound like a UND fan? 90% of the people on this board hate me, and the other 10% tolerate me, and yet you manage to post that I'm a UND fan. Amazing.

Kupchella just tried to do this to NDSU within the last two months, this is nothing new but when Chapman tries to have it be more equitable Potts is screaming.

Yes, Potts is just trying to screw NDSU, him and Kupchella get together and plot against NDSU. Did you already forget about Potts booting UND out of Fargo? Seems pretty unbiased to me. Is it maybe possible that Potts is doing the best he can with an entire NDUS that is underfunded? No, NDSU must be getting screwed by UND, what else could it be?

So your going on the record to say officially your position is that Valley City State and Mayville State (schools by the way that are either losing money big time or barely breaking even) deserve as much say or money as schools such as NDSU or UND? If that's your position please go back to your crayons and coloring book and tell your parents to stop letting you play with the computer.

If thats your position, then have those schools cut. They have a mission for the state right now, and they deserve a fair proportion of money to fullfill that mission. You talk like the state money for education is divided evenly between the schools. UND and NDSU are getting much, much, much more money than either of those two schools as they should. But that doesn't mean that NDSU and UND also have a right to take even more of their money either. While those schools are operating, they deserve to have similar proportioned operating budgets to UND or NDSU, meaning that if NDSU is funded at 60% of what it needs for its student enrollment and majors, than Mayville should get 60% of what they need.

I think what you're actually advocating is cutting those schools, which I would agree with. But you can't simply cut their budgets and leave them open so that students who attend there are sending their money to Fargo or Grand Forks and not getting the education they're paying for. While their open, they deserve money, but they probably should be closed.

You sir seriously have no idea what the hell is going on and yet you do everything to try to trash Chapman and those who support him. Maybe you should try and wait until you know the facts yourself before you start bitching about someone elses position that doesn't agree with yours

My mistake, I guess I thought opinions not favorable to NDSU were allowed! Whoops, I guess I didn't read the edict from Joe Chapman stating that he was correct because he took NDSU D-I. Don't worry it won't happen again. I wouldn't want to offend someone as great as an NDSU fan.

I truly appreciate your post. That was by far the most rediculous, idiotic, homer filled writing I have ever read. You remind me of the people that would go support M. Jackson during his trials. They have no idea what was going on, but anybody that even said there might be a problem was absolutely wrong. They knew he wasn't guilty, becuase.... they liked his songs. You know Chapman hasn't done anything wrong.... because he took NDSU D-I.

I have no idea whats going on? And please, don't ever state the "I can't find anything wrong with Chapman doing his job to the best of his ability either". If he isn't working within the NDUS system, guess what? HE ISN"T DOING HIS JOB. If he refuses to listen to his superior HE ISN'T DOING HIS JOB. There isn't a problem with him doing his best within the framework of the NDUS, but when he goes outside of that, he is dead wrong, and everyone knows that.

If the framework itself is limiting a school, then perhaps the framework, (the SBoHE), is the problem and needs to be addressed. It's not a way out there proposal either. Go and read the self assessment the group of the SBoHE, Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, Faculty Advisor, Student Advisor, and the 11 presidents gave themselves. It's a disturbing read which shows that the entire group is not on the same level.

June 15th, 2006 Williston Meeting Agenda

Start on page 187... (no names are linked to any of the responses). If this is the group of people that are in charge of a soon to be $450 million budget, I think we might want to make sure as taxpayers, they know what the hell their doing. That self assessment above, in my opinion does not show that.

:silly:

If the framework itself is limiting a school, then perhaps the framework, (the SBoHE), is the problem and needs to be addressed. It's not a way out there proposal either. Go and read the self assessment the group of the SBoHE, Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, Faculty Advisor, Student Advisor, and the 11 presidents gave themselves. It's a disturbing read which shows that the entire group is not on the same level.

June 15th, 2006 Williston Meeting Agenda

Start on page 187... (no names are linked to any of the responses). If this is the group of people that are in charge of a soon to be $450 million budget, I think we might want to make sure as taxpayers, they know what the hell their doing. That self assessment above, in my opinion does not show that.

:silly:

You might be right, but that is the system that all university's in ND are put under, and the people on the board are put in place by the legislature you elect (I think, I might be wrong on that, they might also be selected by the govenor). If you truly think that the system isn't working then you, the voter, need to go to your legislature, and let them know that. It isn't up to Chapman, under almost any circumstances and unless something illegal is going on, to go around the system. And if the system is truly as disfunctional as you think, than can you honestly blame potts for the situation going on? Thats much bigger than one man, and Chapman going around him isn't the solution to the problem. To fix the situation all parties need to work together. The board, Potts and Chapman, as well as the rest of the presidents, need to figure out how to best solve the situation and compromise on the budget and other problems. The solution isn't to have potts try to work out a solution, only to have 10 presidents obey it, and an 11th try to circumvent it, as he has claimed Chapman did. If that is truly what happened, I think that there is strong likelyhood it did, based on Potts actions, than I can't blame Potts for being pissed. Whats someone in that situation supposed to do?

aff, the people on the SBoHE are appointed by the governor. The people have no real say in the matter, other than maybe emailing/phoning/writing in their disapproval to the Governor.

From the NDUS website : http://www.ndus.edu/sbhe/

The board includes seven citizen members appointed by the governor who serve four-year terms and one student appointed by the governor for a one-year term.

What else would I expect Potts to do? If he's worth the $185,000/year were paying him, he should have been able to have met with Chapman and the two could have fixed their differences out and Potts could have expressed his disastifaction then. It would have been more professional than going to the Associated Press and other papers with threatening ultimatums for the Board. I think personally, he's been disatisfied with the job since he's been here (for only two years...). I think this is just his way of getting out of the position, being as he'll be able to blame any negatives from this mess on others, "since people wouldn't cooperate with him". As taxpayers, even though we don't have a voice in selecting who gets on the board, we still have the right to question our leaders. Hence while I still believe Potts needs to come clean and state item-by-item, what caused him to throw out his ultimatum to the board. The taxpayers of North Dakota at least deserve that.

I'm not positive that the Governor appointing this individuals on the Board is exactly the best way to run the University System either. There's been issues in the past with an ineffective board.

aff, the people on the SBoHE are appointed by the governor. The people have no real say in the matter, other than maybe emailing/phoning/writing in their disapproval to the Governor.

From the NDUS website : http://www.ndus.edu/sbhe/

The board includes seven citizen members appointed by the governor who serve four-year terms and one student appointed by the governor for a one-year term.

What else would I expect Potts to do? If he's worth the $185,000/year were paying him, he should have been able to have met with Chapman and the two could have fixed their differences out and Potts could have expressed his disastifaction then. It would have been more professional than going to the Associated Press and other papers with threatening ultimatums for the Board. I think personally, he's been disatisfied with the job since he's been here (for only two years...). I think this is just his way of getting out of the position, being as he'll be able to blame any negatives from this mess on others, "since people wouldn't cooperate with him". As taxpayers, even though we don't have a voice in selecting who gets on the board, we still have the right to question our leaders. Hence while I still believe Potts needs to come clean and state item-by-item, what caused him to throw out his ultimatum to the board. The taxpayers of North Dakota at least deserve that.

I'm not positive that the Governor appointing this individuals on the Board is exactly the best way to run the University System either. There's been issues in the past with an ineffective board.

I returned from the East Coast and found that there is controversy in our state institutions of higher education.

I believe Potts has tried to work with Chapman. Chapman does not work with Potts or any other University officials in the system. Paulsen was supposed to have "controled" Chapman but obviously hasn't done a great job of it. This was before he became Board Chair. I do not believe he ever intended to control him. I think now that Paulsen is the chair, he and Chapman are making their play. I predict Potts will end up resigning.

I worked for Paulsen at one time and he is the prototypical sports fan whose program and those involved can do no wrong. I strongly believe he will do anything in his power to help NDSU but also to hurt UND. Whatever happens to the other schools is irrelevant. I believe that there are few people who will be willing to spend the time and emotional energy to take on Chapman/Paulsen and their supporters. Any politician including the Governor will not do so unless it is absolutely necessary. There will be repercussions similar to what we have recently seen from these two in their move to have Potts fired. The other University presidents, other than Kupchella, will be very reluctant to publically speak out against Chapman and Paulsen. Kupchella will not do so either unless it will help improve the present situation which I think has been allowed to go to far.

Whether or not Chapman has been a jerk, he has done a hell of a job for his school overall. Sometimes it has been for the state and sometimes it has not been best. When his people lobby in Washington against federal dollars for other schools in the state system, then Potts not only has the right but an obligation to "bring him into the fold". Chapman's job is in fact to do the best he can for his school. He works for Potts however and should be smart enough to stay out of trouble.

Unfortunately he is a proverbial "lone ranger" in that he could care less about the other institutions of higher ed in N. Dak. He does work for Potts and the people of N.Dak. I was on a flight coming back from Arizona and he happened to be sitting in first class and was easily the most arrogant person there. It reminded me of the movie "Mr. Deeds" when Deeds lectured to the stockholders who were going to break up his uncles company for personal profit. He reminded them of when they were kids, what they thought was important and if they ever would have been people like that when they were kids they would have kicked their own asses.

Examples include his attendence or lack of attendence at some of the meetings of the University Presidents. At one of the meetings in Bottineau, he flew in on Friday and rather than stay overnight, he flew back to Fargo Friday night then flew back in Saturday for the rest of the meeting. The other University Presidents stayed and did networking. Maybe that meant they drank wine and ate cheese, but most business professionals would take advantage of those situations to network. I do not beleive Chapman is liked by any of the other University Presidents because of his attitude. I certainly have never seen him described as a team player. That is too bad because he does some things very well.

It would be too much to ask of Potts and Paulsen to try and establish an environment similar to the one that existed when Clifford and Loftsgard were the respective presidents of the two schools. I also agree with NanoBison guy that most Boards of Higher education are in fact ineffective thus it is easy for an individual president like Chapman or Kupchella to cause this kind of trouble. If we had an effective board there would not have been the question of legal meetings to try and fire Potts and ther would not be public comments to the press about needing to bring Chapman back in line. This is what happens when th Board Chair stops working for the people of the state of North Dakota and functions as a fan of one of our two largest schools. Had Paulsen done his job Chapman would not be in trouble and neither would Potts.

I guess after that all I have to say is good luck to the NDUS system. I can promise that if the board refuses to reaffirm Pott's authority, that no qualified applicant will come within a hundred miles of that job. Why would you? The job is a complete farce if you don't have the authority to do your job.

The point is that he wasted money that could have been used otherwise. Whats more important? New computers or a hot tub for chapman? New books for the library or a hot tub for chapman. Its rediculous that this story is even true, shows a lot of arrogance. And besides that, it gave me the image of Joe Chapman in his swimming suit, its not good.

And the same could not be said about your new lawsuit with the NCAA?

I have no idea whats going on? And please, don't ever state the "I can't find anything wrong with Chapman doing his job to the best of his ability either". If he isn't working within the NDUS system, guess what? HE ISN'T DOING HIS JOB. If he refuses to listen to his superior HE ISN'T DOING HIS JOB. There isn't a problem with him doing his best within the framework of the NDUS, but when he goes outside of that, he is dead wrong, and everyone knows that.

You're right, everyone is against NDSU, theres a big conspiracy. Potts is out to screw you guys. I think you're the one that needs a source the Potts is trying to screw NDSU. I would think that most NEUTRAL people would think that the administrator of the system is doing his best to distribute funds to all the schools as equally as possible. Where is this source that he isn't? Oh, wait, Chapman said so, and he took you D-I, so he must be right. You thinking that I need a source to prove that there isn't a conspiracy against NDSU is way too funny.

So please, enlighten me to these "facts". Funny how you demand to see all these "facts", and yet you're entire idiotic post doesnt' present a single "fact". Maybe in the future take some of your own advice. What are the facts? That NDSU is the victim of a great UND conspiracy theory to underfund the school? Give me a break, you have to be the biggest homer on earth to believe that. Oh, wait though, me, the one that spends time on this board mostly blasting people from UND, I'm the one that isn't neutral. No, for Neurtrality, we all need to turn to D-I in Fargo. There's a guy with no allegiance. Seriously, read what I've posted before. Does it sound like a UND fan? 90% of the people on this board hate me, and the other 10% tolerate me, and yet you manage to post that I'm a UND fan. Amazing.

Yes, Potts is just trying to screw NDSU, him and Kupchella get together and plot against NDSU. Did you already forget about Potts booting UND out of Fargo? Seems pretty unbiased to me. Is it maybe possible that Potts is doing the best he can with an entire NDUS that is underfunded? No, NDSU must be getting screwed by UND, what else could it be?

If thats your position, then have those schools cut. They have a mission for the state right now, and they deserve a fair proportion of money to fullfill that mission. You talk like the state money for education is divided evenly between the schools. UND and NDSU are getting much, much, much more money than either of those two schools as they should. But that doesn't mean that NDSU and UND also have a right to take even more of their money either. While those schools are operating, they deserve to have similar proportioned operating budgets to UND or NDSU, meaning that if NDSU is funded at 60% of what it needs for its student enrollment and majors, than Mayville should get 60% of what they need.

I think what you're actually advocating is cutting those schools, which I would agree with. But you can't simply cut their budgets and leave them open so that students who attend there are sending their money to Fargo or Grand Forks and not getting the education they're paying for. While their open, they deserve money, but they probably should be closed.

My mistake, I guess I thought opinions not favorable to NDSU were allowed! Whoops, I guess I didn't read the edict from Joe Chapman stating that he was correct because he took NDSU D-I. Don't worry it won't happen again. I wouldn't want to offend someone as great as an NDSU fan.

I truly appreciate your post. That was by far the most rediculous, idiotic, homer filled writing I have ever read. You remind me of the people that would go support M. Jackson during his trials. They have no idea what was going on, but anybody that even said there might be a problem was absolutely wrong. They knew he wasn't guilty, becuase.... they liked his songs. You know Chapman hasn't done anything wrong.... because he took NDSU D-I.

Your reply is hardly worthy of noteing but I did want to address a couple of things you said. First of all I never once mentioned anything about Chapman and DI. You seem to think that the only reason any supporter of NDSU could commend him for is because he supported/led the move to DI. You seem to just convienantly forget he's helped bring in more research dollars and growth to Fargo which is not only a benefit to Fargo but to the State of ND as a whole. Your whole post reaks of contempt for anyone who might support NDSU or Chapman based soley on your notion that they all are homers and only support him becuase of the move to DI. That is ridiculous and you are the one who is ignorant of the facts. Your comment "I truly appreciate your post. That was by far the most rediculous, idiotic, homer filled writing I have ever read. You remind me of the people that would go support M. Jackson during his trials. They have no idea what was going on, but anybody that even said there might be a problem was absolutely wrong. They knew he wasn't guilty, becuase.... they liked his songs. You know Chapman hasn't done anything wrong.... because he took NDSU D-I." just shows that when confronted with someone who asks you to present anything in the way of factual information you don't respond with any supporting info you just attack and make those idiotic remarks. Do us all a favor and crawl back under the rock you came from.

First, apparently, there was fire where there was smoke (Holmberg story about a month ago).

Next, the ND SBoHE needs to make a decision. Is what they oversee:

- 11 separate and unique campuses each led locally by a president, or

- a system of 11 universities led by a common chancellor.

Call it "weak chancellor" or "strong chancellor".

Call it "everyone on their own" or "a statewide system".

Which is it?

First, apparently, there was fire where there was smoke (Holmberg story about a month ago).

Which is it?

Succinct and to the point!

Which is it?

Which way do you think it is when Potts sent kupy packing out of Fargo with his tail between his legs. :silly:

Which way do you think it is when Potts sent kupy packing out of Fargo with his tail between his legs. :silly:

I think Dr. Potts made his decision on what was best for the NDUS (not NDSU) not UND. If Dr. Potts adhered to Dr. Chapman's philosophy...UND might still be in Fargo. Are you sure Dr. Potts is the bad guy?

To answer your question..."strong chancellor" and "a statewide system".

BisonDan, that would be a good arguement, but the fact of the matter is that UND "Outreach" once again has an office in Fargo. After Potts told them to pack up and leave, somehow they've managed to open it up once again. They offer the same things NDSU does :

Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S) (It's typically called University Studies here)

Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical or Civil Engineering (We offer all of those classes...)

the list goes on....

It has already been pointed out by Chancellor Potts, that this is duplication of programs, but somehow it's still here after he said close it down last year. UND has somehow managed to open it back up.

I think this is just more evidence of how uneffective the SBoHE is and the Chancellor as well for not enforcing the decision of last year. I can see UND having a medical center tied with the Veteran's Hospital like they currently have, but they do not need to have a permanent presence in Fargo otherwise.

Could you imagine the firestorm of protest if NDSU decided to open a center in Grand Forks? Obviously we wouldn't, because that would be screaming duplication of programs.

They still are in Fargo SiouxMD, get your facts straight. UND Fargo

To answer your question :

"Weak System", "Completely Underfunded System", "Every Campus For Themselves", "Weak Chancellor", "Weak SBoHE"

The naturally "Completely Underfunded System" leads to an atmosphere of "Every Campus for Themselves".

They still are in Fargo SiouxMD, get your facts straight. UND Fargo

To answer your question :

"Weak System", "Completely Underfunded System", "Every Campus For Themselves", "Weak Chancellor", "Weak SBoHE"

The naturally "Completely Underfunded System" leads to an atmosphere of "Every Campus for Themselves".

Somehow this doesn't suprise me. Called it underhanded or backdoor behind the scenes or call it whatever you like. This just goes to show that again Fargo has it and Grand Forks or UND wants it. Its wrong no matter what the argument. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then its a duck. Kupchella needs to go and UND needs to get the hell out of Fargo.