SiouxSports.com Forum

Potts blasts Chapman

PCM

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy you don't want to open that pandoras box, Special? Need more money? What university and thier president are siouxing (pun intended) over a naming rights issue which by most peoples opinion is a no brainer? Why is UND so special that they alone shouldn't have to change their name yet other universities do? Talk about the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. What is it about unky kuppy that he thinks he's so special?

Siouxmenow you are nothing but a hypocrite

A no brainer?!?!?!? Have you done any research? And, "they alone shouldn't have to change their name yet other universities do?" That is so wrong. None of the universities (that I know of) on the list should have to change their names. No one should be offended by UND's nickname.

Pitcher and Potts said they were attracted by North Dakota's "higher education roundtable," an ongoing consultation process that has given the Board of Higher Education and individual public colleges more authority in managing their own institutions.

In November 2000, North Alabama's faculty voted to approve a resolution of no confidence in Potts' leadership. Faculty members said then Potts was insufficiently devoted to academics, instead choosing to spend $8.6 million for a parking deck and $200,000 for a lion habitat for the school's mascot.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/20...pnews/top01.txt

I'd be more curious to hear why UnkyJoe thinks ndsu is so "special" they should be considered "different" from the other colleges in ND?? Is it because they're a (self described) "BIG di univeristy?:silly:??" More money perhaps? Do you guys need it??? :D

This above, is the best example I've seen so far of the typical ND conformity thinking... You're telling me there's no difference between NDSU/UND and an institution like Mayville State?

I don't personally think this is between NDSU and UND, even though we both fight tooth and nail to get what we need to run our campuses. I think it's more an issue of the much smaller campuses, such as Mayville State, that think they should have the SAME voice, SAME amount of pull when it comes to funding matters. When UND and NDSU both make a $1 billion/year impact on North Dakota and Mayville State is merely kept open so a town doesn't die, I can certainly see why some people wouldn't agree with EQUALITY across all institutions. Just my $0.02 ...

The sad fact is that most of opposition from UND folks over Chapman is motivated by jealousy and antipathy towards NDSU.

This whole dispute has nothing to do with UND. It's between chapman and Potts. Why is it that every time something goes wrong at ndsu it's always part of a grand conspiracy by UND to hold them down? It's ridiculous to listen to. It must be easy to have positions of authority down there because every time something goes wrong there's someone at UND they can blame it all on. NDSU fans blame UND for this just like they blame Roger Thomas for the fall of ndsu football in the 90's. Grow up.

That's actually not a horrible analogy, there are some similarities. In both situations, autonomous institutions belong to a larger organization which has authority over certain areas of the institutions' activities. In both there's a clash between the organization's desire to regulate and the institution's desire for autonomous operation in its own self-interest.

However, there are some notable differences. NDSU is owned by the state which created the NDSBoHE explicitly to exercise certain supervision over NDSU, whereas the NCAA is voluntary organization run by the member institutions. More to the point, the NDSBoHE's rules grant it the authorities in question over NDSU; where the NCAA's rules specifically grant the authorities in question to the member institution (in this case, UND).

Fine, the big difference here is NDSU can't change the status of it being a public university. UND can always decide not to be a member institution of the NCAA.

I would like to see one example by Mr. Potts of Dr. Chapmans alleged issues. Nobody even knows what they are as Mr. Potts apparently feels its not noteworthy of mentioning, lets just throw a hissy fit if I don't get my way. Before everyone starts blasting Dr. Chapman wouldn't it be nice to know what it is he's allegedly done to bring this on (other then personal dislike by Potts)?

I would like to see one example by Mr. Potts of Dr. Chapmans alleged issues. Nobody even knows what they are as Mr. Potts apparently feels its not noteworthy of mentioning, lets just throw a hissy fit if I don't get my way. Before everyone starts blasting Dr. Chapman wouldn't it be nice to know what it is he's allegedly done to bring this on (other then personal dislike by Potts)?

I'm with you. I'd like to know specifically what's causing this rift. I'm sure the SBoHE members know what it's about. Someone owes the voters and taxpayers of North Dakota an explanation.

The sad fact is that most of opposition from UND folks over Chapman is motivated by jealousy and antipathy towards NDSU.

Funny how UND is always the scapegoat - like somehow Twamley Hall is the dark tower controlling all actions in North Dakota. Thought you agreed that type of thinking is narrow minded and self-revealing, tony?

I think it's a mistake to ascribe malicious intent to everything UND does.

I'm sick of anonymous sources, UND legislative and media hallelujah choir, and guys like Potts who don't even have the man-berries to pronounce Chapman's name much less give a coherent list of grievances.

Without specifics FROM POTTS (not a bunch of turf-protecting hacks from UND), all we are left with is a grown man throwing a tantrum because he has a problem with Chapman himself rather than anything Chapman has done.

Maybe the most difficult issue for Bison fans in this issue is the one of the tenants of their faith: that NDSU leadership can do no wrong (doctrine of inerrancy of the NDSU presidency) is being publicly challenged. No one at UND blindly puts their trust in Kupchella, he's merely somehow we hope and pray will do the right thing for our university. Somehow, Bison fans have practically elevated Chapman to a demigod status.

I think the major difference between NDSU and UND in this regard is that, yes, NDSU fans talk a lot of smack, but NDSU's administration acts professionally. UND's fans act better than their administration and their political wing! For example, the gossip about NDSU's athletic department finances started at the top with public comments by Kupchella.

You seem angry today...why don't you go back to Bisonville for a group hug and come back when you are feeling better.

Damn it, SiouxMD - I'm always angry! :silly:

Anyway, here it is without the fireworks. If Potts has a problem with Chapman, he better be willing to back it up with specifics tomorrow. I'm not impressed with how Potts has handled himself or this situation, but I'll listen to his complaints. However, now that he has made such a huge deal about this, he dang well better have something substantial... not just a gripe because Chapman opposed his pet project to spend NDSU money to recruit foreign students - that's well within the realm of Chapman's rights and responsibilities.

Hehehe! I stand behind that statement completely. However, with Roger Thomas gone, President Kupchella going (go already, you big tease!) and Buning in, things have changed a whole lot for the better. When President Kupchella leaves and gets replaced, maybe I'll have to recant that position - especially if Taylor is still moping to the press about the scheduling deal from 2003-04. As fans, I think UND folks are excellent - some of you spend way too much time gossipping and making your points by attributing them to somebody else (so you can smack without really smacking - "I didn't say it, I'm just repeating what somebody else said. That's really off topic though.

I remember when Chapman first became President of NDSU he spent thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to remodel part of the presidents house and paricularly the deck and hot tub area. The only problem was the state had just finished remodeling those same areas. A lot of people thought it was quite ridiculous and pompous at the time and a complete duplication and waste of taxpayers money. The airwaves or talk shows in Fargo at the time were quite disgusted with his arrogant attitude. I guess were starting to see the real Chapman appear again. He is definitely full of himself.

Damn it, SiouxMD - I'm always angry! :silly:

Anyway, here it is without the fireworks. If Potts has a problem with Chapman, he better be willing to back it up with specifics tomorrow. I'm not impressed with how Potts has handled himself or this situation, but I'll listen to his complaints. However, now that he has made such a huge deal about this, he dang well better have something substantial... not just a gripe because Chapman opposed his pet project to spend NDSU money to recruit foreign students - that's well within the realm of Chapman's rights and responsibilities.

What do you think, that Potts is some moron that does stuff like this for the fun of it. How many times has he threatened to quit his job for something besides Chapman? How many times have the people in the entire ND education system threatened to quit there jobs publicly over another person in the history of the state? Potts seems pretty serious, and I would guess that maybe, just maybe, something a little more significant than a tantrum might be going on. I know it might be hard to imagine that the living God that took you D-I might not be perfect in every way imaginable, but just think about it. Jobs like Potts don't come around to often in the country, and the fact that he willing to give up that job says a lot about what is probably going on. Its not every day that a man is willing to give up a position that pays approximately $200,000 (don't tell me about the great settlement, it isn't nearly as much as his future earning potential), is probably the culmination of his lifes work up to this point, and will most likely have to uproot his family, over a simple tantrum. I know you're big fans of NDSU, but come on, I haven't heard any of you even admit that Chapman could maybe be out of line.

I don't know why everybody thinks that Potts needs to prove something to you. He's the one looking at giving up his job, hes the one taking all the risk of leaving, do you think maybe chapman could maybe just admit that he isn't the head of the system, and that NDSU isn't autonomous, since neither is true? The only reason not to is ego.

What do you think, that Potts is some moron that does stuff like this for the fun of it. How many times has he threatened to quit his job for something besides Chapman? How many times have the people in the entire ND education system threatened to quit there jobs publicly over another person in the history of the state? Potts seems pretty serious, and I would guess that maybe, just maybe, something a little more significant than a tantrum might be going on. I know it might be hard to imagine that the living God that took you D-I might not be perfect in every way imaginable, but just think about it. Jobs like Potts don't come around to often in the country, and the fact that he willing to give up that job says a lot about what is probably going on. Its not every day that a man is willing to give up a position that pays approximately $200,000 (don't tell me about the great settlement, it isn't nearly as much as his future earning potential), is probably the culmination of his lifes work up to this point, and will most likely have to uproot his family, over a simple tantrum. I know you're big fans of NDSU, but come on, I haven't heard any of you even admit that Chapman could maybe be out of line.

I don't know why everybody thinks that Potts needs to prove something to you. He's the one looking at giving up his job, hes the one taking all the risk of leaving, do you think maybe chapman could maybe just admit that he isn't the head of the system, and that NDSU isn't autonomous, since neither is true? The only reason not to is ego.

I'm still waiting to hear from Potts or the media what exactly his beef is with Chapman, preferably listing specifics, until then I support Chapman for doing whatever it takes to get the money for NDSU to continue as a great institution, even if it means going above Potts to do so. Bruce Christianson had it right, saying there should not be any question about who is in charge,

I'm still waiting to hear from Potts or the media what exactly his beef is with Chapman, preferably listing specifics, until then I support Chapman for doing whatever it takes to get the money for NDSU to continue as a great institution, even if it means going above Potts to do so. Bruce Christianson had it right, saying there should not be any question about who is in charge, “and that’s the board.” Christianson said the chancellor and the presidents serve at the pleasure of the board.

From the news, so far though, it appears as if Potts is throwing a temper-tantrum. But I think this boils down to a larger issues in terms of equity funding, the capabilities of the SBoHE handling a budget approaching $400 million dollars, etc. I predict the next couple of weeks will be very ugly....

I'm sorry, but I don't think the assumption that people make is that Potts is having a tantrum. I think the assumption would be that there is a very serious problem between Potts and Chapman. I guess that assumption could only be made if you aren't an NDSU fan though.

And "getting the money for NDSU to continue as a great institution, even if it means going above Potts head"? Wow, theres some spin. You word that like NDSU is on the chopping block. I'm not going to debate whether or not NDSU has equitable funding, but I do know 1. It takes more money to run a law and medical school than it does to educate typical students, and 2. There are 10 other schools that need money just as bad as NDSU wants it. Those schools have just as much right to be funded as NDSU does. Just becasue Chapman took NDSU D-I doesn't mean that NDSU deserves more money. I am absolutely sure that Potts has distributed money in the way that he thinks is best FOR ALL of the schools in the state, so that they are able to fullfill their missions for the WHOLE STATE. Why should NDSU deserve more than those schools? UND gets more funding per student because UND has to run more expensive programs in order to fullfill their mission. I really can't blame potts for being pissed about doing his job to the best of his ability, and than having everyone but good ol' joe work within their constraints. ND is not a rich state, I'm sure all of the schools would love more funding for their programs, but they can't get everything they want. Why should NDSU go outside of the educational system to get more money? Do you really want a system where every school is out to screw the other schools out of funding. Maybe the schools could start using their money to hire lobbyists for the ND legislature, so that they can try and get extra money. That would be an awesome system, schools trying to screw each other instead of cooperating. Doesn't get any better than that.

You seriously have no idea what is going on, and yet you do everything you can to trash Potts and support Chapman. Maybe you should wait until more facts are available before trashing somebody who is gambling with their job. Wouldn't now be the time to support the NDUS, if you want whats best for the state? NDSU can get a new quality president pretty easily.

And why exactly do you need specifics from Potts? So you can sit here and trash them? Believe it or not, if you're boss is angry with you, some of the burden of getting out of the problem is going to be on you. Chapman playing dumb about this whole thing is laughable. I'm sure he was "perplexed" by the situation. He definitely didn't know exactly what the problem was almost immediately. He was problem sh!ting himself that Potts took it this far, and was thinking that he probably shouldn't have pushed this hard. If you lose Potts, good luck getting another decent NDUS chancellor into that situation. Who wants to go to a place where your subordinates have more authority than you? And don't think all candidates aren't going to know exactly what the last chancellor left. When they get into ND, they are going to go for Chapman almost immediately to make him obey or leave. Nobody needs a mess like Potts has right now.

And why exactly do you need specifics from Potts?

Because as a North Dakota taxpayer, voter and soon-to-be parent of a child in the North Dakota University System, when there's turmoil in the state's higher education system, I want to know what's causing it. How else can I make an informed decision about where the real problem lies?

Believe it or not, if you're boss is angry with you, some of the burden of getting out of the problem is going to be on you.
Agreed. Of course, it's possible that Potts manufactured this whole crisis in his head, but I doubt it. That's why having more information about what's caused this problem would be useful.

Chapman playing dumb about this whole thing is laughable.

It struck me as rather silly, too.

If you lose Potts, good luck getting another decent NDUS chancellor into that situation.

That's what concerns me most about this situation. If the problem as Potts describes it is real, imagine how difficult it will be to find a qualified successor for him.

I remember when Chapman first became President of NDSU he spent thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to remodel part of the presidents house and paricularly the deck and hot tub area. The only problem was the state had just finished remodeling those same areas. A lot of people thought it was quite ridiculous and pompous at the time and a complete duplication and waste of taxpayers money. The airwaves or talk shows in Fargo at the time were quite disgusted with his arrogant attitude. I guess were starting to see the real Chapman appear again. He is definitely full of himself.

The money for the remodel was payed for by the NDSU foundation. You listen to Eddy too much - or I mean half truth eddy.

Because as a North Dakota taxpayer, voter and soon-to-be parent of a child in the North Dakota University System, when there's turmoil in the state's higher education system, I want to know what's causing it. How else can I make an informed decision about where the real problem lies?

When I said that I was thinking more along the lines of why does Potts have to prove everything, while Chapman plays dumb. This whole situation is between two people, I don't know why only one of them needs to put himself in place to be crucified, while the other just sits back and plays dumb (Chapman).

The money for the remodel was payed for by the NDSU foundation. You listen to Eddy too much - or I mean half truth eddy.

The point is that he wasted money that could have been used otherwise. Whats more important? New computers or a hot tub for chapman? New books for the library or a hot tub for chapman. Its rediculous that this story is even true, shows a lot of arrogance. And besides that, it gave me the image of Joe Chapman in his swimming suit, its not good.