SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike or Matt....

Mad Man

Stanley Cup Champ  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Which former Sioux will get his name on the Cup

• Matt Greene
    • Mike Commodore

Good to see two former fan favorites get to battle for the cup. Matt looks to have made the right decision forgoing his senior year and getting a chance to win a title his first year in the league. Mike is getting his second shot at the cup in as many years (not counting last years lockout). Good luck to both former Sioux, hope it's an entertaining series.

I picked Matt. The Oilers are just too good at home IMO. They are well rested(I know that doesn't always make a difference, but I think it will this series) and it will be very fast paced. Roloson and Ward are both on top of their game right now.

Which one intends to bring the Cup to GF if his team wins? That's who I'll be cheering for. ;)

I'm going for Carolina. Matt Cullen will bring the Cup to the FM area for sure. Commodore would likely bring it to GF if he has time. I can see him bringing it to his home town first.

Well, this is a tough question:

Matt Greene is probably not going to see a whole heckuva lot of ice time, but he'll be in attendance and travel with the team.

Mike Commodore will suit up every game and play significant ice time. However, Commie plays on a team that, quite frankly, is very spotty at times during the game. Sometimes they can pass, sometimes they can't (with or without pressure from the opposing team).

Fundamentally, Edmonton's game is much more solid. Their offensive attack is pretty even. Their defense is pretty solid. Even though Roloson has done exceptionally well, though, how much longer can it last? The last time I saw a goaltender who didn't have a remarkable career prior to the Stanley Cup finals (as a starter) petered out in the Finals (JS Giguere). So, will Roloson's great play last?

Carolina is a flashier team that is very good in the transition and outlet passing parts of the game. I feel they are more solid defensively than Edmonton but are relying upon a rookie goaltender. They have a tendency to pressure and hold the stick too tight at times, which causes them to take risks and provide their opponents with quality chances via the odd man or just positionally.

In any case, I'd probably take Mike Commodore simply because he'll get more ice time.

Come to think of it, it is a win win situation. If Matt Greene wins it, he'll bring it to Grand Forks. If Mike Commodore wins it, he'll probably bring it too, but at the worst case scenario, we can travel down to Fargo to see it.

Carolina may be relying mostly on Ward, but remember that when Laviolette replaced ward with Gerber in Game 3, and then started him in games 4 and 5 he didnt give up a single goal until the 1st period of game 5: about 4 straight periods without a goal given up. so its not like they dont have a great goalie jic ward crumbles again. but the great thing about ward is, if he does crumble, which he rarely has, he gets right back in there and is amazing again. I bring your attention to when he came in and relieved Gerber in game 5.

I want to see this go 7, This is the first year in some time that I will miss the NHL over the summer. I think Edmonton in 7, give that they have far more of a home ice advantage. Stahl is doing great things for his brother's draft position...

I want to see this go 7, This is the first year in some time that I will miss the NHL over the summer. I think Edmonton in 7, give that they have far more of a home ice advantage. Stahl is doing great things for his brother's draft position...

but carolina has a strong showing on the road. they can get it done when they need to no matter where at. and they are a very very deep team. i think carolina pulls it out in 5. max 6

I think it's great that both have the chance to play for the cup!!

I have had the chance to talk with both players so it's hard to pick one.

Good luck to both!! Now where did that red wig of mine go..... :D

I think it's under your white robe. :D

I'm going for Matt and the Oilers (been for the Oilers since Montreal was booted out) and I hate Carolina but I'll be happy for either of them. I'm hoping for 7 games too.

And I dont believe the US Anthem was booed recently in these playoffs. In fact, there is a video going around the 'net of the CanadiEn's cheering and singing the US anthem before singing O Canada.

Personally, I think it will be Carolina, but I want Edmonton to get the cup. With the loss of Roloson for the rest of the series, I see the Oil's goaltending as a big question mark. It was one of their strengths, and now it is potentially a weakness.

So my Vote --> Mike and the Canes come down with the cup.

Without Rollie the Goalie, I think it is Carolina's for the taking. I haven't had a preference as to who wins it between these two teams. But it sure has been fun watching the games. Commodore impresses me more with every game. He can play defensively, rush the puck up the ice, and get in on the scoring. Calgary flat out blew it when they let him get away.

Did they at one point?

I thought that was the US U20 WJC team that had the national anthem boo'ed.

It happened at the World Juniors in Canada and it probably has happened with every US vs Canada game at one point, but I think the most recent was San Jose booing during O Canada while playing the Oilers at the Shark Tank. I think it was in late April or early May.

I feel like I've been robbed! :D

I saw the 'Canes play that Minnie team at the Ralph (exhibition game) and the Oilers play the 'Hawks in April. Neither team played like the 'Canes and Oilers I've watched in the playoff or the Championship games!!!