SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike or Matt....

Mad Man

Stanley Cup Champ  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Which former Sioux will get his name on the Cup

• Matt Greene
    • Mike Commodore

I truly could care less who wins it, since a Sioux player wins either way.

However, it's been strange to listen to friends and radio comments and how they are all cheering for Edmonton. Why not Carolina? I can understand the hatred of them moving from a very cool place in Hartford, but we need to grow the game of hockey. Take Tampa Bay. Rarely sold out before winning the cup. Now the town loves them. I suspect the same will happen for Carolina if they win (which they should). And yes I know they made the finals before, but they didn't win and that was boring hockey.

I saw the 'Canes play that Minnie team at the Ralph (exhibition game) and the Oilers play the 'Hawks in April. Neither team played like the 'Canes and Oilers I've watched in the playoff or the Championship games!!!

Even though regular season games can be entertaining, they just don't compare to the playoffs. Never have and never will. Save your $ and go to a Cup game. It's a whole new level of hockey that you only get glimpses of during the regular season. Course if you're spending your bucks on Sioux games and suites, that's more fun than the NHL at any time :lol:

Even though regular season games can be entertaining, they just don't compare to the playoffs. Never have and never will. Save your $ and go to a Cup game. It's a whole new level of hockey that you only get glimpses of during the regular season. Course if you're spending your bucks on Sioux games and suites, that's more fun than the NHL at any time :lol:

I haven't watched too many regular season NHL games but I really enjoyed the Wild run a few years ago and what I've seen so far of the Edmonton/Hurricanes series has been excellent hockey.

Edmonton hasn't been playing very well in these Finals, and Carolina looks to be playing as if they definitely want to win the Stanley Cup. Another thing I noticed is that the Oilers seem really tired, which I can see being the end of the season and all, but don't they wanna win the Cup?!?

Anyways, as I see it, a former Sioux player will win it either way, and hopefully both of them would want to take the Cup back to their alma mater right?!? Cuz that'd be sweet!! And Cullen would obviously bring it to Moorhead at the very least...

So right now, I'm still pulling for the Oilers, but it looks as if Carolina's gunna take this one. It's been a good run, though.

Oh, and one more thing... GO SIOUX!!! Is it hockey season yet?!? :lol:

I truly could care less who wins it, since a Sioux player wins either way.

However, it's been strange to listen to friends and radio comments and how they are all cheering for Edmonton. Why not Carolina? I can understand the hatred of them moving from a very cool place in Hartford, but we need to grow the game of hockey. Take Tampa Bay. Rarely sold out before winning the cup. Now the town loves them. I suspect the same will happen for Carolina if they win (which they should). And yes I know they made the finals before, but they didn't win and that was boring hockey.

I am not sure if anyone knows this but when the Canes were the Hartford Whalers they used to play in a mall, which was half empty. Its nice to see the Canes really doing well and playing to full rabid crowds.

Edmonton hasn't been playing very well in these Finals, and Carolina looks to be playing as if they definitely want to win the Stanley Cup. Another thing I noticed is that the Oilers seem really tired, which I can see being the end of the season and all, but don't they wanna win the Cup?!?

Anyways, as I see it, a former Sioux player will win it either way, and hopefully both of them would want to take the Cup back to their alma mater right?!? Cuz that'd be sweet!! And Cullen would obviously bring it to Moorhead at the very least...

So right now, I'm still pulling for the Oilers, but it looks as if Carolina's gunna take this one. It's been a good run, though.

Oh, and one more thing... GO SIOUX!!! Is it hockey season yet?!? :lol:

The Oilers have suffered from the Flu from what I had gathered from watching CBC.

Even Kelly Hrudy has caught it, he was on with Ron McClain looking really tough last night.

I suppose that would have an affect on the players.

I am not sure if anyone knows this but when the Canes were the Hartford Whalers they used to play in a mall, which was half empty. Its nice to see the Canes really doing well and playing to full rabid crowds.

Peter Karmanos has always been a carpetbagger, Goon. It was only a year or two ago that he was threatening to move the team BACK to Hartford due to lagging attendance in Raleigh.

I do agree with you, though, in that it is nice to see hockey catching on in other markets. I can't stomach the NBA anymore and the World Cup is just a snooze-fest. A friend of mine tuned in to watch a game the other day and is now wondering what took him so long to become a fan of hockey.

To answer the question of this thread, though, I'm still going with the Hurricanes and Mike Commodore to win their first Stanley Cup. Did anyone else see Mike absolutely bury an Oilers forward late in the third period of last night's game?

The poll is at 66% Commodore 34% Greene.

After Saturday night, this could be an upset. Any body wish they could go back and change their vote? Markkunen has proved he can do the job, so the doubters who thought the Oilers were done after Rollie got hurt may have to eat ther words! Either way, I'd love to see that Cup come to GF for a visit.

Congratulations to Greene and Commodore for outstanding performances and efforts throughout the playoffs, and of course to Commodore for winning the Cup.

Commodore was of course just rock solid; he played a very simple game in the defensive zone, hitting when he could, but not getting out of position to do it. He looked good carrying the puck too. You could easily argue that he was Carolina's best defenseman.

Greene's growth from last year, and mainly his growth from the start of the playoffs to the end, has been incredible. He was the most wicked hitter in the finals, and that was as a rookie. Unlike Commie, his hitting was less disciplined, and it showed in his trips to the penalty box and a few adventurous recoveries in his own zone. Where it really mattered, though, in his ability to skate and move the puck out of his zone, he passed with flying colors. I read that his even-strength minutes were third on the team among defensemen in game seven, behind only Pronger and Smith.

Thanks to the guys for representing Sioux hockey so well. (Thanks also to Doc Emrick for mentioning UND so warmly, so often.)

Edit: While watching UND's big defensemen play the position so well the last few weeks, does anyone doubt that Matt Jones and Matt Smaby will soon be doing the same?