SiouxSports.com Forum

June 1 Deadline

UND Fan

As reported this morning, the deadline for committing to DI is June 1 rather than September 1. This change was made in October of 2005 - how in the hell didn't we know that? Supposedly the bylaws still indicate June 1 but someone in the Department (Ralston) should have verified this! I would guess this means there is no chance that we will make the move this year!

As reported this morning, the deadline for committing to DI is June 1 rather than September 1. This change was made in October of 2005 - how in the hell didn't we know that? Supposedly the bylaws still indicate June 1 but someone in the Department (Ralston) should have verified this! I would guess this means there is no chance that we will make the move this year!

I went to the NCAA website and was able to find where if you are changing from I-AA to I-A the deadline is June 1st (sse link below), but didn't see for Division II to I-AA was June 1st. I would look further, but I have to run to a meeting.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/k...il/24_Att_A.htm

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry on either this website or bisonville has known this for months. If the official word at UND is to say they didn't know when the deadline is, I shudder. And for those of you that blindly put your faith into the basketball search committee, you need only to reference this matter. Hey Harmeson, how about updating your NCAA Manual?

I don't think there is any doubt that we are not serious about DI. It's is almost comical that we wouldn't know the deadline had been changed. Either they must think were fools to believe they didn't know or they are fools for not knowing. What kind of leadership do we have?:) If you are at all serious about a possible move or just even considering it slightly there is NO excuse for NOT KNOWING the date had been changed.

Iowa Bison, you seem fairly resourceful (for a Bison fan :) ) maybe you could dig up a few of those June 1 deadline posts that appeared here about two months ago and post them.

I don't know if I can. I thought Sept. 1 was the date also. Of course, I'm just a casual college sports fan.

If I was a UND booster, I'd be asking Kupchella, Buning, and Harmeson just what the hell they think they are doing. (I beat you dollars to donuts a couple of folks have gotten their asses chewed out for this one.)

I don't know if I can. I thought Sept. 1 was the date also. Of course, I'm just a casual college sports fan.

If I was a UND booster, I'd be asking Kupchella, Buning, and Harmeson just what the hell they think they are doing. (I beat you dollars to donuts a couple of folks have gotten their asses chewed out for this one.)

I think that most of us remember the change from Dec 1 to Sept 1. At least that is what I remember. The June 1st date is new to me.

I think that most of us remember the change from Dec 1 to Sept 1. At least that is what I remember. The June 1st date is new to me.

As a fan its not your obligation to know what the date is. On the other hand for the administration of a school who is purportedly looking at the change it is a given that they need to be up to speed on every aspect of a potential move. For them to come out with this is about as ridiculous as me telling a police officer "gee I didnt know I needed a license to drive".

As a fan its not your obligation to know what the date is. On the other hand for the administration of a school who is purportedly looking at the change it is a given that they need to be up to speed on every aspect of a potential move. For them to come out with this is about as ridiculous as me telling a police officer "gee I didnt know I needed a license to drive".

Agreed

The Story

From the article:

' "That's much quicker than we thought going into it," Buning said of UND's classification study. "I think most of us had our eyes on the end of the summer." '

'Harmeson said his NCAA bylaws show that the deadline to announce a move from Division II to Division I is Sept.1, which would have given UND officials the summer to debate the issue. But Kearns said the date was revised from Sept. 1 to June 1 in October 2005.'

Kearns said the date was revised from Sept. 1 to June 1 in October 2005.'

Another fine example of hostile and abrusive action of the NCAA. You would think rule changes would be prominately announced by the NCAA. On the hand, if UND is serious about moving to D1, it only moves the announcement date up for them as they can do ala NDSU and just make the move.

Another fine example of hostile and abrusive action of the NCAA. You would think rule changes would be prominately announced by the NCAA. On the hand, if UND is serious about moving to D1, it only moves the announcement date up for them as they can do ala NDSU and just make the move.

It's not like they were keeping it a secret.

It's not like they were keeping it a secret.

No kidding. I'm with CDog on this one. Haven't we all (on the board) been talking about June 1 since this Spring? I thought we had always been discussing 2007-08 as an exploratory year because of the 18 month NCC withdrawal window.

I knew it. Thank you, SiouxMD. RD17 knew it. Apparently he got the revised edition of the NCAA Manual while Harmeson, Kupchella, and Buning got the old one.

Reading threads more fully, though a lot of people have been talking about June 1 as a decision date, I think it's because we were concerned about the window to withdraw from the NCC. I don't see that anyone knew June 1 was a new NCAA rule; in fact, just a month ago Tony quoted the NCAA manual as saying September 1.

I knew it. Thank you, SiouxMD. RD17 knew it. Apparently he got the revised edition of the NCAA Manual while Harmeson, Kupchella, and Buning got the old one.

It's not a revised anything.

The NCAA has the perogative to make changes to its bylaws which are effective immediately, which it did in this case.

If I was a Sioux Fan I would be pissed about this excuse. If this was one of us at our place of employment, and we missed a deadline like this, for something this important, it would likely be grounds for a firing.

Yeah, I sure thought the deadline was 9/1 for notifying the NCAA... until today. Looks like it got voted on in October and adopted on Dec. 26th, 2005 - so that's why the 2005-06 manual didn't have it.

Previously I was more interested in correcting the deadline for notifying the NCC - I thought it had been moved up from Sept 1 to March 1, but according to the Herald today, that deadline was actually moved up to Dec. 31! To leave the NCC and play a DI season in 2008-2009, UND would want to notify the NCC by the end of this year - 6 months before it notifies that NCAA?

The task force won't give President Charles Kupchella its final report until the end of the month, at the earliest. That would make it hard for Kupchella to make any recommendation prior to June 1.

"A decision of that magnitude, I'm sure, is not going to be made in 72 hours," said Phil Harmeson, UND faculty athletic representative and senior associate to Kupchella.

Wait a second. Wasn't it everyone's understanding that this thing was to be delivered to Kupchella by the end of the semester? That would have provided a two+ week window to make the assessment. Why did the timeline slip? :) What in sam hell is going on up there?? ;):D