SiouxSports.com Forum

June 1 Deadline

UND Fan

The task force won't give President Charles Kupchella its final report until the end of the month, at the earliest. That would make it hard for Kupchella to make any recommendation prior to June 1.
Conveniently delayed until after the Big Sky meetings?

"A decision of that magnitude, I'm sure, is not going to be made in 72 hours," said Phil Harmeson, UND faculty athletic representative and senior associate to Kupchella.
No, but it can be made in 13 days! :) Isn't the real implication: a decision of this magnitude gets made over several years, which BTW have already passed.

Conveniently delayed until after the Big Sky meetings?

Just to clarify, these are the same meetings that only four presidents are attending from the big sky? I really doubt anything is going to happen there.

So if UND doesn't declare DI this month, nothing changes. Even if they stay D2, the discussion doesn't go away. There will still be recruits lost to SU. If the SU's go Mid-Con, there will be talk of UND going to the Big Sky in October or in the spring (possibly as a travel partner for UNC?). I say the debate lasts at least another year.

And what if four presidents vote NDSU in?

They can't. According to the bylaws of the Big Sky you must have 6 of 8 voting for admission to the conference (UNC is not yet a member). In the past there have been votes that were not unanimous in getting conference members, but lately the Sky has elected to go with "unanimous" picks to enter the conference. I suspect strongly that for any of the Dakotas to get in the Big Sky will need to be confortable with a less than unanimous vote. So.....with only 4 presidents meeting there can be no vote on conference affiliation.

And what if four presidents vote NDSU in?

Read the writing on the wall Mlpsbison. The big sky isn't going to happen for NDSU anytime soon. They've rejected you twice, and that was with SDSU as a travel partner. You think now something has changed? Nothing has changed, the big sky isn't serious about expansion. NDSU will be in the midcon. Reading your stuff, it reminds me of the guy who keeps asking for a date after he's been rejected more times than he can count. Give it up, its not going to happen.

Reading your stuff, it reminds me of the guy who keeps asking for a date after he's been rejected more times than he can count.

So that means he's "Jon" and you're "Garfield"? :)

Let me sum up how I see the BSC on May 23: No quorum = No action.

As reported this morning, the deadline for committing to DI is June 1 rather than September 1. This change was made in October of 2005 - how in the hell didn't we know that? Supposedly the bylaws still indicate June 1 but someone in the Department (Ralston) should have verified this! I would guess this means there is no chance that we will make the move this year!

I started this topic with some critical remarks. After doing a little research, I have changed my mind on the topic. UND utilized the on-line by-laws on the NCAA website for any info regarding policies, procedures, dates, etc. This is just the way the process works! The NCAA simply had not updated the website - no big surpirise! I can't fault UND for their handling of this.

Due to their oversight, today the NCAA did extend the date to July 1.

Due to their oversight, today the NCAA did extend the date to July 1.

That, in my opinion, is still crap.

Did the NCAA ever put that "June 1" date officially out to the membership? The on-line wasn't updated. Was it put out another way? If not, the old date (Sep 1?) should be used until the manuals are updated and distributed to members.

My two questions of the day:

Why would UND ask for an extension if they weren't seriously considering DI?

Why would Brian Jones take a DII position?

My opinion:

1) I don't believe Kupchella has officially made up his mind. He has meetings scheduled with a variety of people who have strong feelings about the move (both pro and con). I would guess the "pros" will need to provide some very compelling reasons for making the move to convince him but I think it may happen.

2) Apparently Jones wanted the job either way. As you know, he has a lot of background with the NCC and was excited about the opportunity - DI or DII.

They can't. According to the bylaws of the Big Sky you must have 6 of 8 voting for admission to the conference (UNC is not yet a member). In the past there have been votes that were not unanimous in getting conference members, but lately the Sky has elected to go with "unanimous" picks to enter the conference. I suspect strongly that for any of the Dakotas to get in the Big Sky will need to be confortable with a less than unanimous vote. So.....with only 4 presidents meeting there can be no vote on conference affiliation.

Two important points you aren't considering.

1) The Mid Con just lost two members and will be looking to take NDSU and SDSU if they're still availible.

October will be too late.

2) Just because a president isn't physically there doesn't mean he/she can't vote.

So if UND doesn't declare DI this month, nothing changes. Even if they stay D2, the discussion doesn't go away. There will still be recruits lost to SU. If the SU's go Mid-Con, there will be talk of UND going to the Big Sky in October or in the spring (possibly as a travel partner for UNC?). I say the debate lasts at least another year.

The debate will last until Kupchella retires. And then when he finally does, the debate will really heat up.

I say the debate will last as long as it takes for UND to wake up and realize it's not a DII school anymore.

Excellent point. Why can't the UND administration see that UND doesn't go hand in hand with Upper Iowa?