SiouxSports.com Forum

#1- First to go...Zajac

cjsol

I think it's amazing how Belfour holds GF so close to his heart after only playing here for one year. Sioux Family/Sioux Pride...it never leaves you.

It's amazing how we hold our former Sioux players near and dear to our heart as well. They are like no others. :glare:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the attitude displayed by the coaches on last night's Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show. They were excited about the group of players returning for next season. And why shouldn't they be?

Hakstol said that we've barely had a glimpse of Kozek's goal-scoring talent. Duncan was a very pleasant surprise. Kaip is a solid player who seems to have found a scoring touch and has been named Prpich's heir apparent. Watkins developed very well at the center position. Miller filled in well for Fabian and should improve with more playing time. Fabian, Porter and Bina will provide great experience and leadership.

If some combination of Oshie, Toews and Spirko returns (or all three), their skill - combined with the promising freshmen forwards - will give the Sioux plenty of scoring punch. If Parise doesn't return, Lamoureux has proven to be very good. All he needs is a team that scores more goals for him.

The defensive corps, even without Smaby, will be sound. Chorney, Jones and Lee had very good rookie seasons. Finley will continue to improve, as all big UND defensemen have under Brad Berry. Radke improved greatly over his freshman season and will only get better. I have high hopes for him, both as a team leader and as an offense-oriented defenseman.

In other words, I think the outlook for next season at this time is a heck of a lot better than it was for last season at this time. Even with the expected departures, there aren't as many holes to fill and there's a solid foundation upon which to build.

I liked the attitude displayed by the coaches on last night's Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show. They were excited about the group of players returning for next season. And why shouldn't they be?

Hakstol said that we've barely had a glimpse of Kozek's goal-scoring talent. Duncan was a very pleasant surprise. Kaip is a solid player who seems to have found a scoring touch and has been named Prpich's heir apparent. Watkins developed very well at the center position. Miller filled in well for Fabian and should improve with more playing time. Fabian, Porter and Bina will provide great experience and leadership.

If some combination of Oshie, Toews and Spirko returns (or all three), their skill - combined with the promising freshmen forwards - will give the Sioux plenty of scoring punch. If Parise doesn't return, Lamoureux has proven to be very good. All he needs is a team that scores more goals for him.

The defensive corps, even without Smaby, will be sound. Chorney, Jones and Lee had very good rookie seasons. Finley will continue to improve, as all big UND defensemen have under Brad Berry. Radke improved greatly over his freshman season and will only get better. I have high hopes for him, both as a team leader and as an offense-oriented defenseman.

In other words, I think the outlook for next season at this time is a heck of a lot better than it was for last season at this time. Even with the expected departures, there aren't as many holes to fill and there's a solid foundation upon which to build.

PCM - nice post - I do believe you have brought me in from going over the edge on this day of defections. After reading your post, I agree that next year looks very promissing! :glare:

Bahhhhh, come on PCM, the sky is falling, were going to be the 6th team in the CHA, the Ralph will be imploded, feed the fire. :D:glare:

PCM - nice post - I do believe you have brought me in from going over the edge on this day of defections. After reading your post, I agree that next year looks very promissing! :glare:

PCM hit the nail right on the head, and you shouldn't be feeling so down. You look at this year's last month and a half of the season, and it wasn't just the guys who could possibly leave, doing all the scoring. The guys we didn't expect as much from were coming to the surface as well. Kozek appears to have amazing skill, and with more playing time, I think he'll become a fan favorite. Not only can he shoot, but he can hit! Watkins and Duncan did come to play every night, and they're going to take on larger roles next season as well. Even if we lose the majority of those in question, the Sioux will still be a strong team next year. Stay positive, we won't be as bad off as a lot of people are thinking.

Nice post PCM. I agree completely. It's amazing what Zajac did in two years, but I'm STILL talking about that Kozek performance vs. MTU.

I'm expecting Stafford and Smaby to go. Once those two leave, I think we'll see a slow down. I'm still confident all the freshmen will be back. Yeah, foolish maybe, but I'm confident at this time.

EDIT: Read this thread before the Smaby signs thread. So, I'm expecting only Stafford to go now. :glare:

I think he had room to grow & another few yrs here would of provided that - Dang $$$ :glare:;):D

His extra year should have been on the front end of the two he played. The guys has an NHL body and is probably as close to any college player to ready.

Good luck, you've got to take the money when it's offered.

What I do wonder is the business aspect of signing these guys so early. IMO Travis Zajac won't be a NHL'r next year. Hey, now that he's signed I hope I'm wrong. If he can't contribute then why pay him while he's developing.

I think the perfect example is Zach Parise. New Jersey gave him huge money when they knew that there was not going to be NHL hockey last year. This year he's doing...OK, but I don't think that NJ would be any worse off if he would have played college hockey last year. They could have left his signing bonus in the bank and had him playing for them this year. He'll continue to develop to be a solid NHL player.

Of course when they offered that signing bonus Parise HAD to take it.

Another thought. The players don't owe us anything. They put it out on the ice everynight.

And....The NHL guys are the professionals. They have their reasons for what they do.

I think Kozek and Watkins are going to be the diamonds in the rough from this season's recruiting track. Kozek can really shot the puck and has a wrist shot that is amazing. I think he will make a bigger contribution next season. Is it October yet?

I think the perfect example is Zach Parise. New Jersey gave him huge money when they knew that there was not going to be NHL hockey last year. This year he's doing...OK, but I don't think that NJ would be any worse off if he would have played college hockey last year. They could have left his signing bonus in the bank and had him playing for them this year. He'll continue to develop to be a solid NHL player.

OK?...Tonight he contributed 2 goals against the Flyers

I think Kozek and Watkins are going to be the diamonds in the rough from this season's recruiting track.

I agree with you here. Both should be players that stay all four years and really develop into special players by the time they are juniors or seniors. Kozek is a sniper with his wrist shot, and Watkins was using his speed to create chances at the end of this past season.

Travis was about as prototypical NHL forward as we had in the college ranks. He can do all of the little things. He has a pro body, and his performance at the college level is an almost identical comparison to Keith Tkachuk. It is a privelege to have players of the Parise, Stafford, and Zajac caliber on our team. They are world class athletes.

One thing that I have noticed in Hak's recruiting is that he is doing a great job of picking up talented BCJHL players that are undersized. Case in point Duncan, who I believe will score 20+ goals for the next 3 years. While he is an excellent hockey player, his size will keep him around. Brady Murray would've been a 4 year player if it wasn't for the weird import loophole he got into the Swiss league with, again top end talent, but not an NHL frame. 2007 freshman Evan Trupp 79 points as a rookie in the BC league, but 5'9 150 looks like a 4 year guy. Hak is mixing it up with the #1 draft picks who will be around for 2 years ( Forney) and guys like Trupp. It is a good way of doing things. The 2 year guys blow up the league while the smaller 4 year guys develop into top end players, then when the 2 year guys leave, the 4 year guy can almost replace him as a jr or sr.

Here is what I think about next year:

Zajac, Smaby, Stafford, Prpich (regulars that are gone)

Toews will play at least one more year in the green. The only 18 year old that I can think of in the show is one Syd the Kid, and as good as Jonny is, he isn't Crosby. 22 goals in college vs setting records in the Q is a different world. If he puts up numbers like he did the last 2 months of this season all year next year, he will go to the big club at 19.

Oshie will play one more year with the emphasis from the Blues being to put on a little more meat. The game he plays will take its toll on a body over a 100 game season (including playoffs).

Lee and Chorney will probably play through their junior years. It takes a little more time to develop a defenseman. I predict Finley will turn pro after next year, reason being, that while he doesn't seem as effective as the other top draft pick defensemen, his size is more suited to the pro game, and I think that the pros will want him to hone his mean streak in the minors...similar to what they wanted to do with Smaby.

Based on performance and need, I believe that Marto and Lapoint will all spend next year in the USHL and come up next year to replace possible pro defections.

Sioux lines 2006-2007

Porter, Oshie, Spirko (Porter and Oshie played great together and Oshie and Spirko did too, synergy)

Kozek, Toews, Duncan (all great shooters, Toews whole package, kozek will have some big skates to fill)

Forney, Watkins, Zajac ( good size and skill-should be a great third line)

Vandevelde, Kaip, Fabian (Rylan and Eric are workhorses, let's put a big bodied scorer with them)

Lee and Chorney ( top talent will keep improving)

Radke and Jones ( the two tough guys)

Bina and Finley (imagine the height differential on the ice)

As awful as this may sound, I would almost prefer to see Finley go pro to make room for Genoway.

of course Parise and Lammy in the pipes.

I went to the River Rats website to see if there was any info about Travis and came across this information. Zajac is going to have a tough time beating this debut performance by Stephen Gionta. What a debut for the former BCer.

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2006/04/13/1533779.html

I am not a BC fan, and I am guessing there aren't too many other Sioux fans interested. I just thought it was impressive from a hockey standpoint. He may be looking to match up with his brothers performance in NJ....

Sioux lines 2006-2007

Porter, Oshie, Spirko (Porter and Oshie played great together and Oshie and Spirko did too, synergy)

Kozek, Toews, Duncan (all great shooters, Toews whole package, kozek will have some big skates to fill)

Forney, Watkins, Zajac ( good size and skill-should be a great third line)

Vandevelde, Kaip, Fabian (Rylan and Eric are workhorses, let's put a big bodied scorer with them)

Lee and Chorney ( top talent will keep improving)

Radke and Jones ( the two tough guys)

Bina and Finley (imagine the height differential on the ice)

As awful as this may sound, I would almost prefer to see Finley go pro to make room for Genoway.

of course Parise and Lammy in the pipes.

Hate to say it, but I disagree with the lines. We all have our opinion though, so I'll state mine:

Spirko-Toews-Oshie(That would be a lethal first line)

Kozek-Watkins-Duncan(Very fast, VERY skilled....electric line)

Porter-Fabian-Forney(GREAT checking/grinding/scoring line...all can score and all play very hard)

Vandevelde-Kaip-Zajac(Not sure about Zajac, haven't seen enough of him. I think this would make a great beat the crap out of the other team physically line.)

Lee-Chorney(Very good)

Jones-Bina(Great defensively)

Radke-Finley(Keep them together)

I like to keep lines together as much as possible if they had chemistry the previous year.

OK?...Tonight he contributed 2 goals against the Flyers

He's done better lately but he certainly hasn't set the world on fire.

Currently he's -5 and eigth on his team for scoring. That's not bad, but when you consider that he's come on since Christmas you can't say the first half was that great.

He's still a couple years from his potential imo.

Spirko-Toews-Oshie(That would be a lethal first line)

Kozek-Watkins-Duncan(Very fast, VERY skilled....electric line)

Porter-Fabian-Forney(GREAT checking/grinding/scoring line...all can score and all play very hard)

Vandevelde-Kaip-Zajac(Not sure about Zajac, haven't seen enough of him. I think this would make a great beat the crap out of the other team physically line.)

Lee-Chorney(Very good)

Jones-Bina(Great defensively)

Radke-Finley(Keep them together)

I like to keep lines together as much as possible if they had chemistry the previous year.

I am sure we will see quite a few line combos. I would imagine that Miller, Martens, Genoway and Vandeveld will have something to say about this also. Should be a full lockerrooms as well as good team. I also don't expect Bina to play every game. Its going to be fun watching these guys try to stay in a very competative line up.

I am sure we will see quite a few line combos. I would imagine that Miller, Martens, Genoway and Vandeveld will have something to say about this also.

As long as we've got a good handle on things here, I don't see what they'll have to say about it.