SiouxSports.com Forum

Article on little Lamoureux

denversioux

Interesting article on Jacques Lamoureoux. A bit disappointing in regards to the way the AFA has handled this if you ask me...

Denied for depression: AFA recruit

By The Associated Press

Bismark, N.D. - A junior hockey player says he has been denied an opportunity to realize his dream of playing for an NCAA Division I school because of depression he suffered in the past.

Jacques Lamoureux of Grand Forks, N.D., who plays forward for the Bismarck Bobcats in the North American Hockey League, had been recruited to play for Air Force. But he said his admission to the academy was denied this month.

"The whole situation caught me off guard," he said. "(Depression) is something I went through three years ago. It's not like I haven't got any better."

Dave Toller, a spokesman for the Air Force athletic department, said privacy laws prevent the academy from commenting about the specifics of a player who is rejected for medical reasons. He did say Air Force does not have a blanket policy ruling out applicants who have suffered from depression.

"Every situation is a little different," Toller said. "The decision is made by the medical board and is well out of our hands."

While he was in high school, Lamoureux sought help for suicidal thoughts and was put on antidepressants

I am not so sure that it so far out of line, and pretty common with the Military, and the Service Accad. are hard to get into. Depression is one of the things that can disqualify you from Military Service, I am not saying its right wrong of indifferent, however, I know that it can keep you out of the service, I know a guy that was already in the Military at Boot Camp and but while they were conducting his back ground check found out that he had depression and might have thought about suicide once and was kicked out of the military. So who knows, the fact that this kid disclosed it up front and is healthy is a bit puzzling.

This whole situation really sucks for Jacques. It may be hard for him to find another school to play at now. From what i've heard he chose Air Force cause he wanted to be a pilot, i'm sure he could have made a better d-1 school earlier in the season but this whole situation has very bad timing. I wonder if Jacques is eligible for another season of juniors or if another d-1 school will pick up him? I hope all the best for him, his problems are over with and he shouldnt have to relive that again.

This whole situation really sucks for Jacques. It may be hard for him to find another school to play at now. From what i've heard he chose Air Force cause he wanted to be a pilot, i'm sure he could have made a better d-1 school earlier in the season but this whole situation has very bad timing. I wonder if Jacques is eligible for another season of juniors or if another d-1 school will pick up him? I hope all the best for him, his problems are over with and he shouldnt have to relive that again.

Jacque's birthdate is 6/14/1986. Which means his juniors eligibility (if the season ran that long, which it doesn't) would end 6/14/2007 on his 21st birthday. So yes, he is eligible for one final year in juniors.

Now, the rules that I used is accepted by the USHL. I assume it is also that way for the NAHL, as Jacques plays for the Bismarck Bobcats of the NAHL. If the NAHL age requirements are different than the USHL's (USHL's rules that a player is only eligible until the player is 21) please correct me.

With all the problems the AFA has had in recent years regarding sex scandals, cheating, and Fisher DeBerry stating the reason he lost a game was because he didn't have enough blacks on his roster, you'd think that a kid with a solid family background who appears to have beat depression should be given a chance.

Jacques was open and honest about his situation. What does this say to all the other kids out there who are fighting depression about coming forward and getting help?

This would seem to be a good school for him to go to if he was going to fly.

True, but there may not be a place for him if he wished to play hockey... who knows though.

Other DI hockey schools with flight programs include Princeton, MSU-Mankato, Western Michigan University (IIRC), and maybe a few I'm missing. True, none of these are flight schools that compare to UND's, but they may give him an opportunity to play hockey AND go to flight school.

Who knows.

If you are undergoing a security clearance, this sort of thing can come into play. It's unfortunate for Jacque that it's affecting where he wants to go to school.

If he's good enough, however, he'll likely have another chance at another D1 school. I wish him the best of luck after what he has had to work through.

True, but there may not be a place for him if he wished to play hockey... who knows though.

Other DI hockey schools with flight programs include Princeton, MSU-Mankato, Western Michigan University (IIRC), and maybe a few I'm missing. True, none of these are flight schools that compare to UND's, but they may give him an opportunity to play hockey AND go to flight school.

Who knows.

Wisconsin has a program in DIVE bombing. :)

Seriously, best wishes for Jacques. His dad is a class act.

If you are undergoing a security clearance, this sort of thing can come into play. It's unfortunate for Jacque that it's affecting where he wants to go to school.

If he's good enough, however, he'll likely have another chance at another D1 school. I wish him the best of luck after what he has had to work through.

I can absolutely guarantee that depression does not automatically exclude you from military service. However, with the competitive level of the service academies, that might be a deciding factor in letting him into the school. He could still go on and have a military career, if he wanted to. ROTC, baby!!!

Maybe he should just see the light and FLY NAVY!!!!!!

I can absolutely guarantee that depression does not automatically exclude you from military service. However, with the competitive level of the service academies, that might be a deciding factor in letting him into the school. He could still go on and have a military career, if he wanted to. ROTC, baby!!!

Maybe he should just see the light and FLY NAVY!!!!!!

By no means was I making any judgement on whether or not Jacque could or should be able to get into Air Force Academy. I have some experience with people going through security clearances, and for some levels/situations prior psychiatric care can have an affect on that clearance. Being this is a military school, I can see how that could possibly factor in. That's all.

I have no real knowledge of Jacque's situation other than what has been in the media.

By no means was I making any judgement on whether or not Jacque could or should be able to get into Air Force Academy. I have some experience with people going through security clearances, and for some levels/situations prior psychiatric care can have an affect on that clearance. Being this is a military school, I can see how that could possibly factor in. That's all.

I have no real knowledge of Jacque's situation other than what has been in the media.

Sorry, I didn't mean to reply specifically to you, but to the topic at large.

• 3 weeks later...
It was also nice to read in the Bismarck Tribune that Air Force helped Jacques find Northern Michigan. After they rejected him at least they helped him out by talking to other teams.

Classy move. Good job AFA in making the best of a bad situation. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

great for him and he seems like a hell of a hockey player as well. i didnt realize he was a junior but now remember that little stint he had with northern michigan making him a junior this year. hell, that family could field 5 players and a goalie and hold their own vs many :glare: