SiouxSports.com Forum

Holy Cross Radio Highlights

KirkEisenbeis

Dan Irmen's feet stop moving when he crosses the blueline into his defensive zone.

If the pass had gone through, a HC player (14) would have had a nice shot from the heart of the slot because Irmen wasn't back and covering him.

Yo, Dan, s-s-s-t-t-t-r-r-r-r-retch-reaching to cover an open man in the slot won't git-r-done at any level.

I know they taught him better at GF Red River.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] According to them, during the Thursday Holy Cross skate around, a Gopher hockey player was asking the Holy Cross people who their best players were, who is their starting goalie, etc. Now I am not a coach, but it sure seems to me that the day before a game in the regional your team should sure as hell know who the key players are, who the primary goalie is and his strengths and weaknesses. This certainly leads to a conclusion that Minnesota did not scout the team or review game tapes of Holy Cross. They were focused on Saturday.

I wouldn't make that conclusion. Even if one has a week's worth of scouting, including team statistics and a couple of game tapes (neither of which always tell the whole story), I would think it also valuable to find out what the fans think. That's a scouting report from people who followed the team all year (or more).

For example, would the stat sheet and two game tapes tell you what you need to know when playing against Mike Prpich?

It's also friendly banter. You're in the NCAAs--have some fun and socialize.

Hey, I did the homework on Holy Cross using stuff available for free on the 'net. Most notably I used the box scores from their 2006 Atlantic Hockey championship and their 3-0 loss to North Dakota in the 2004 West Regional.

I saw a 2006 Holy Cross team with half the gameday forwards, half the gameday defense, and the top goaltender having played UND in 2004, and having played them tough, as freshmen and sophomores.

Toss in that if HC had lost to Bentley the projections were that they would make the tourney at-large over UN-Omaha (and would have been a higher seed at #14 overall, instead of #15 overall)!

The first look, any look, of "Holy Cross 2006" I saw was in The Ralph on a Friday afternoon, live.

If I could see that 2004 HC team was now juniors and seniors, and was a 2006 bubble team (pre-autobid), and had a goalie with better numbers than SCSU's Goepfert, why couldn't The Don and his staff?

For example, would the stat sheet and two game tapes tell you what you need to know when playing against Mike Prpich?

From CollegeHockeyStats.com:

19 Mike Prpich F SR

Overall: 44 7 5 12 37/104

Conference: 27 6 5 11 23/ 65

Career: 162 31 21 52

Raw analysis of numbers:

- about a 1/4 point per game --> he ain't out there to score

- played in 44/45 games this year --> but he plays every night (almost)

- nearly a penalty per game

- 104 min on 37 penalties --> he's taken more than just 2 min minors

- he's play 40 games per year (average) for four years --> he plays every night (almost)

That tells me he's a hardnosed, defense-first minded forward. He probably plays on a checking or grind line and has a mean streak to him (see "more than just ... minors"). And he must be a guy tough to play against because he's out every game (even without putting up big numbers).

That's what I'd assume from the numbers.

The tape would probably show I'm pretty close. :lol:

I saw HC's numbers and knew they had a pretty good team, starting in net (where it's key).

Nothing against those who like this story to taunt the Gophers--it is a rivalry and shadenfreude is part of the deal. I want to record that a lot of us are not just cheering against the Gophers but rather cheering for Holy Cross, who won us over with more than just the score. (Albeit, being against our rival is definitely one factor.) The game is an event to remember, especially since 9,000+ other people in the building went bananas together.

The way that the Sioux fans' gratefulness, interest and exuberance has gone this week, this feels a little like our relationship with Maine [newbies: Coach Walsh jersey reference], where some feel-good things have happened in both directions and there's an unoffical brotherhood between a lot of fans. Perhaps HC will continue to have a Green following in the same way, and we'd welcome some fans in Purple, too.

I love that you're trying to buy HC jerseys.

Kirk

Once again, the Holy Cross jerseys are the game worn away jerseys (purple) and have only the numbers. There are no players' names on the back, and the price is $200 per jersey. This was decided by Coach Pearle. When I talk to the athletic office again on Monday I could inquire about home jerseys, but right now this is all we have. I don't know yet how we're going to pay for them, but I'm going to email the athletic dept. right now to let them know that we will be buying the jerseys.

And just so everyone knows, I'm going by first come first served on the numbers. If you want a number that someone else has already claimed, you'll have to take it up with that person. :lol:

Jerseys claimed

undhockey - #28

farce poobah - #7 and #21

MafiaMan - #19

Sioux-cia - #11

NorthDakotaHockey - #29

nodakvindy - #14

forecheck - #10

AZSIOUX - no number

Sioux Yeah Yeah - no number

CVCL - ?? no number

LFSPRO - no number

Unclaimed jerseys

2 - Frank O'Grady D JR 5-7 175 Kimberley, British Columbia/Helena Bighorns (AWHL)

3 - Rob Godfrey D JR 5-11 170 Thunder Bay, Ontario/Aurora Tigers (OPJHL)

4 - Shane McAdam D FR 6-0 200 Hamilton, Ontario/Hamilton Red Wings (OPJHL)

5 - Brent Franklin D SO 6-2 195 Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich./Oakville Blades (OPJHL)

6 - Brian Gabriel D SO 6-1 180 Kenai, Alaska/Wichita Falls Rustiers (NAHL)

15 - Chris Trovato F SO 5-10 170 North Attleboro, Mass./Noble & Greenough School (NEPSAC)

17 - Kai Magnussen F FR 5-10 190 Okotoks, Alberta/Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL)

23 - Marty Dams D FR 5-11 190 Manotick, Ontario/Gloucester Rangers (CJHL)

26 - Dewey Thomson F FR 6-0 185 Northbridge, Mass./St. Paul's School (NEPSAC)

31 - Charlie Lockwood G FR 6-0 185 Breckenridge, Colo./Bridgewater Bandits (EJHL)

32 - J.R. Butler F SO 6-1 190 Marlboro, Mass./Cushing Academy (NEPSAC)

33 - Bryce Nantes F SO 5-11 175 Calgary, Alberta/Yorkton Terriers (SJHL)

Nothing against those who like this story to taunt the Gophers--it is a rivalry and shadenfreude is part of the deal. I want to record that a lot of us are not just cheering against the Gophers but rather cheering for Holy Cross, who won us over with more than just the score. (Albeit, being against our rival is definitely one factor.) The game is an event to remember, especially since 9,000+ other people in the building went bananas together.

The way that the Sioux fans' gratefulness, interest and exuberance has gone this week, this feels a little like our relationship with Maine [newbies: Coach Walsh jersey reference], where some feel-good things have happened in both directions and there's an unoffical brotherhood between a lot of fans. Perhaps HC will continue to have a Green following in the same way, and we'd welcome some fans in Purple, too.

I love that you're trying to buy HC jerseys.

Kirk

Agree and thanks for raising the point.

North Dakotans associate with being an underdog, perhaps more than any other state. And we admire the underdog for going into battle when the odds are against you. That's what life is like on the tundra. Ya gotta have some courage just to live up here.

I think the reaction to Holy Cross would be nearly as strong even if they had knocked off someone other than the #1 rival. For example, if they had beat Michigan State or BU (two other #1 seeds), it would be just as great a story.

For nearly a decade now, the UND hockey team has been the favorite in nearly every game they play. For one weekend, we got to cheer for an underdog. It was fun.

Jerseys claimed

undhockey - #28

MafiaMan - #19

Sioux-cia - #11

NorthDakotaHockey - #29

nodakvindy - #14

forecheck - #10

zqglmtv - #3

BigGreyAnt -#5

AZSIOUX - no number

LFSPRO - no number

Unclaimed jerseys

2 - Frank O'Grady D JR 5-7 175 Kimberley, British Columbia/Helena Bighorns (AWHL)

15 - Chris Trovato F SO 5-10 170 North Attleboro, Mass./Noble & Greenough School (NEPSAC)

23 - Marty Dams D FR 5-11 190 Manotick, Ontario/Gloucester Rangers (CJHL)

31 - Charlie Lockwood G FR 6-0 185 Breckenridge, Colo./Bridgewater Bandits (EJHL)

The WCHC website now includes a collection of the feedback we have received via e-mail from hockey fans across the globe - the majority of them Sioux fans - commenting on both the Holy Cross hockey team and the WCHC broadcast/highlight clip.

Again, we're grateful for all the responses and your support of HC hockey. If you'd like to read what others have said, go to http://college.holycross.edu/wchc/hockey.htm and click on the "FEEDBACK" links.

By request, we're working on possibly adding the full game audio from the HC vs UND game as well as the extended call of the GWG vs Minnesota without any editing or music in the background.

Chris Del Vecchio '06

Director of Programming

WCHC-FM

P.S. - I think it's awesome that Coach Pearl was able to work something out with you for the game-worn jerseys. I live at Holy Cross and I can't even get one (not that I could really afford one anyway).

Jerseys claimed

undhockey - #28

MafiaMan - #19

Sioux-cia - #11

NorthDakotaHockey - #29

nodakvindy - #14

forecheck - #10

zqglmtv - #3

BigGreyAnt -#5

engelbunny - #23

AZSIOUX - no number

LFSPRO - no number

Unclaimed jerseys

I like this picture. :lol:

celebration_v5y6741-lg.jpg

I'm a Holy Cross fan and was at the West Region games at the Ralph. We had a great time at your unbelievable arena. There cannot be a better place to watch a hockey game. I've never seen more Sioux fans in my life - in the arena and around town. Everyone wears green! Good luck against BC next weekend. I will be following #7 and #9 - they are amazing.

Here is a link to a video clip Tony Quesada put together from the 2004 season when we made the NCAA's for the first time. It's the trailer for a movie he made for his film class.

Quesada Video

I'm a Holy Cross fan and was at the West Region games at the Ralph. We had a great time at your unbelievable arena. There cannot be a better place to watch a hockey game. I've never seen more Sioux fans in my life - in the arena and around town. Everyone wears green! Good luck against BC next weekend. I will be following #7 and #9 - they are amazing.

Here is a link to a video clip Tony Quesada put together from the 2004 season when we made the NCAA's for the first time. It's the trailer for a movie he made for his film class.

Quesada Video

Wow!! The locker room scene with the Coach gave me goosebumps. I'm proud to say I'm a Holy Cross fan, too. Keep on keeping on, we may meet at a Frozen Four. I won't be cheering for you but I will respect you!! :lol:

Wow!! The locker room scene with the Coach gave me goosebumps. I'm proud to say I'm a Holy Cross fan, too. Keep on keeping on, we may meet at a Frozen Four. I won't be cheering for you but I will respect you!! :lol:

Great clip, I wanna see the updated 2006 version. Holy Cross is a special program. Congratulations on a great season guys!