SiouxSports.com Forum

Holy Cross Radio Highlights

KirkEisenbeis

From everyone here at Holy Cross, once again, thanks so much!

No, thank you! You guys have been great and you have every reason to be proud of your hockey team, your radio station and Holy Cross. Thanks for giving me one of the greatest college hockey experiences of my life and helping me relive it.

high-five.gifacclaim.gifthumbup_wink.gifclapping.gifgrinyes.gifworship.gif

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've got the time, listen to the whole game broadcast. It begins with the "License to kill gophers" clip from Caddy Shack. Then at the first intermission is a great song, "Love Hit Him Like a Frozen Puck in the Head." It is great getting a different perspective to a game that doesn't involve Woog, Sonmor, or Mazzacco.

No, thank you! You guys have been great and you have every reason to be proud of your hockey team, your radio station and Holy Cross. Thanks for giving me one of the greatest college hockey experiences of my life and helping me relive it.

high-five.gifacclaim.gifthumbup_wink.gifclapping.gifgrinyes.gifworship.gif

Chris, et el, hockey next season!!!

I was a total Holy Cross fan Friday night and while I didn't cheer for you on Saturday during the game, I did cheer for the Crusaders after the game; not because they lost but because the Holy Cross players are a solid, talented, hard working hockey team>>Holy Cross Crusaders.

Sounds like the majority of their own fan base doesn't expect much from them. Yes, the upset of Minnesota was huge, but they did make it to the regionals two years ago, and this years team boasted 12 players from that team. You would think they would think they had a good chance at making the regionals again. However, I suppose no one expected 27 wins from the HC hockey team.

I love your passion and am thrilled to have you rooting for us but, understand what we (Holy Cross) are, especially with respect to Hockey. To say we didn't expect much from out team becasue the bookstore was caught by surprise by the teams performance and doesn't have a lot of hockey gear is quite a leap. The bookstore doesn't carry replica basketball or football stuff either because it doesn't - or hasn't - sold well not because we don't expect much of those teams. Now if we get a couple 100 orders from North Dakotans that could change!

Just to give you some perspective about HC.

- We are a small (2800 students) completely undergradate liberal arts college

- We do have a long and proud athletic history but primarily in basketball, football, and baseball. See the trivia question at the end of this post.

- We have been Division I in hockey for fewer than 10 years - since 1998-1999 I think - so the fan base is not very deep. Hopefully it will be deeper now!

- We eliminated all athletic scholarships about 15 years ago which significantly lowered the profile and support of our teams in the community. We reinstated basketball scholarships in 1999 and some of the fervor for HC in the community is returning.

- We are located in a area where professional sports DOMINATE the consciousness of most fans - college sports is an afterthought at best with most people in this area and given the above item on scholarships/profile really knocks us down in the consciousness of the locals.

So don't knock us just because there isn't a replica jersey available. If you read our message board, you'll see lots of passion for all our teams - some are just getting used to rooting for hockey.

*** Now, trivia as promised ***

Name the only 5 schools in NCAA history that have

* Won an NCCA Men's Basketball Championship

* Won an NIT Men's Basketball Championship

* Won the College World Series

* Played in at least ONE of the 4 major Bowl Games - Cotton, Sugar, Orange, or Rose.

Answer: Stanford, Cal, Michigan, Ohio State, and yes, Holy Cross!

The lady from the Holy Cross Bookstore sent me this.

Hi Nicole,

Sure....send me a list of the possible sizes that you may be interested in.........I will keep the sizes and your email address on file and will email you when the hockey jersey comes in!!

So far these are the people who have expressed interest in getting a Holy Cross jersey. If you want one and haven't given a size yet, email or PM me and I'll send all the sizes to the bookstore. nimiller8@hotmail.com

BigGreyAnt41 - no size

farce poobah (4 jerseys) - no size

diggler - no size

RedFrog - XL

MafiaMan - size 48 (medium?)

Sioux-cia (4 jerseys) - (2) XXL (2) LG

Sioux Yeah Yeah - no size

MafiaMan is the only one who has specified a color (purple). Does anyone else have any preferences? I'm assuming they would order more than one color anyway.

Hi Nicole,

Sure....send me a list of the possible sizes that you may be interested in.........I will keep the sizes and your email address on file and will email you when the hockey jersey comes in!!

So far these are the people who have expressed interest in getting a Holy Cross jersey. If you want one and haven't given a size yet, email or PM me and I'll send all the sizes to the bookstore. nimiller8@hotmail.com

BigGreyAnt41 - no size

diggler - no size

RedFrog - XL

MafiaMan is the only one who has specified a color (purple). Does anyone else have any preferences? I'm assuming they would order more than one color anyway.

All purple for me too. I don't want those Gophers fans to miss us!

Hi Nicole,

BigGreyAnt41 - no size

diggler - no size

RedFrog - XL

Purple for mine, and add one XL(2 total). The daughter wants a jersey now as well. :love:

Hi Nicole,

BigGreyAnt41 - no size

diggler - no size

RedFrog - XL

I believe size 48 is typically a large. I'm not talking some cheapo replica job either, I want double-sewn elbows and #19 on the back! Purple for sure since they were wearing that last weekend.

Hi Nicole,

BigGreyAnt41 - no size

diggler - no size

RedFrog - XL

a cheap (purple) on is fine for me

I believe size 48 is typically a large. I'm not talking some cheapo replica job either, I want double-sewn elbows and #19 on the back! Purple for sure since they were wearing that last weekend.

48 is XL I think. 46 is large. Anyways I want the same jersey but #35.

48 is XL I think. 46 is large. Anyways I want the same jersey but #35.

Authentic jerseys tend to run 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, etc. Replica or fan jerseys are usually S, M, L, XL, XXL, etc. I'm curious to know how authentic these particular HC jerseys would be before I throw down money to buy one. As Runninwiththedogs can attest, my jersey collection is second-to-none.

Sioux Fans -

Inspired by the continued steady flow of e-mail responses about the highlight clip (and now the full game audio), I though it was appropriate to discuss SiouxSports.com today on WCHC.

We have added to the WCHC hockey page a link to a recording of that discussion. The clip comes straight form the talk show that I host weekly along with Christian Santillo, Brian Viola and Kyle McCarthy. Kyle was one of the broadcasters who traveled to Grand Forks, and the rest of us provided pregame and postgame studio commentary.

If you wish to listen to our "Thank You to Sioux Fans", here's the link again...

http://college.holycross.edu/wchc/hockey.htm

From everyone here at Holy Cross, once again, thanks so much!

Chris Del Vecchio

HC Class of 2006

Director of Programming

WCHC-FM

cldelv06@holycross.edu

Absolutley awesome Chris! You guys are truly first class. Go Crusaders!

Authentic jerseys tend to run 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, etc. Replica or fan jerseys are usually S, M, L, XL, XXL, etc.

Yeah you're right. Doh. It's 48, 52, 56, 60 though. At least in most jerseys I've seen. Either way I still want one and HC should sell em to us for cheap cause we're the reason they won the game. :love:

Don't lump all the regular season ticket holders into one category. I've been on my feet cheering when the entire student section was sitting. We need to band together and cheer our team on. Maybe if we had some cheers the whole crowd could get into . . . we could get the place rockin'

I've thought for a LONG time that UND needs some cheers like other schools have that could get the crowd INTO it. Something easy, catchy, that everyone could yell together. Wisconsin has some, the pesky gophers have some. So, please, someone (students??) come up with a new cheer or two that we could learn between periods instead of the some of the stupid games they play. :love:

I emailed the bookstore back last night asking how much they were, so I'll let you know when I find out. I'm not sure if it would be authentic or replica. I haven't really looked into where else we could get them made though. You would probably know better than me.

We might run into a problem if some people want to go cheap and some people want authentic ones. Between posts in this thread and people that have PM me, I think we have around 20 orders though so we might be able to get a good discount. I'll look into it more.

I emailed the bookstore back last night asking how much they were, so I'll let you know when I find out. I'm not sure if it would be authentic or replica. I haven't really looked into where else we could get them made though. You would probably know better than me.

We might run into a problem if some people want to go cheap and some people want authentic ones. Between posts in this thread and people that have PM me, I think we have around 20 orders though so we might be able to get a good discount. I'll look into it more.

forecheck,

I'm usually pretty adept at telling you whether SP, Nike, CCM, Gemini, or any other company makes a particular jersey, but I didn't see a single thing on the Crusader jerseys that might have identified who made it. If it's not a big-wig like Nike or CCM, I'm sure they'd be ecstatic over doing a bunch of jerseys as long as they had permission from Holy Cross to make 'em authentic. No name-plates, small company, I bet it wouldn't be anywhere near the $180 required for a Sioux authentic Nike.

Side note for those interested: Holy Cross is old-school with not having names on the back of the away jerseys (also significantly cheaper, obviously). Their home whites do indeed sport a name-plate and name on the back.

The clip was played on a Grand Forks radio station around noon today!!

Holy Cross!! You are getting lots of kudos for your work!! Gotta love it!!

I emailed it to the Ticket, sports talk radio, in Dallas. They loved it and played it on the air the other day. Bob and Dan have an afternoon show and they do a bit called "homer call of the week". I think the HC call won. On a sad note Bob, one of the radio personalities on the ticket, is a BADger fan.

forecheck,

I'm usually pretty adept at telling you whether SP, Nike, CCM, Gemini, or any other company makes a particular jersey, but I didn't see a single thing on the Crusader jerseys that might have identified who made it. If it's not a big-wig like Nike or CCM, I'm sure they'd be ecstatic over doing a bunch of jerseys as long as they had permission from Holy Cross to make 'em authentic. No name-plates, small company, I bet it wouldn't be anywhere near the $180 required for a Sioux authentic Nike.

Side note for those interested: Holy Cross is old-school with not having names on the back of the away jerseys (also significantly cheaper, obviously). Their home whites do indeed sport a name-plate and name on the back.

Is there enough room on the nameplate to accomodate "Gopher Exterminator" ?

I don't know, but I didn't think the clip was all that great. Couldn't hear anything about the winning goal with all of that yelling and screaming going on. :love:

Just kidding.

Thank goodness you were kidding; I was about to disown you. :lol: Seriously though, I've listened to the entire clip about five times and the last three minutes at least an extra six or seven times.

It's amazing the publicity this is getting...and we all keep spreading it around.