SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirko

fargosioux

I borrowed this from another site - Pretty Good - (I get lazy & fudge sometimes ;) )

The easiest way to learn what's acceptable on _________ is by watching how others use it. Once you've read a few hundred posts and witnessed a few flame wars erupt, you should get a feel for what's appropriate and what's not. To help you get there a bit faster (and to make sure you don't unintentionally set off a flame war of your own), we've included some basic tips that will help you fit into ______________ community more easily.

Never forget that the person on the other side is human.

Because your interaction is through a computer it is easy to forget that there are people "out there." Situations arise in which emotions erupt into a verbal free-for-all that can lead to hurt feelings. Please remember that people all over the world are reading your words. Do not attack people if you cannot persuade them with your presentation of the facts. If you are upset at something or someone, wait until you have had a chance to calm down and think about it. Try not to say anything to others you would not say to them in person in a room full of people.

Don't assume that a person is speaking for their organization.

Many people who post to ____________ do so from machines at their office or school. Despite that, never assume that the person is speaking for the organization that they are posting their articles from (unless the person explicitly says so). Some people put explicit disclaimers to this effect in their messages, but this is a good general rule. If you find an article offensive, consider taking it up with the person directly, or ignoring it.

Be careful what you say about others.

You read these posts; so do millions of other people. This group quite possibly includes people you know and care about. Information posted on the net can come back to haunt you or the person you are talking about. Think twice before you post personal information about yourself or others. Posting personal information even in the most innocuous groups can be extremely hazardous. If you don't want it known by a large segment of the world's population, don't post it.

Be brief. But get your information in and stay on target to solve tech issues or other topics of signifigance please. (life, death, etc.).

Never say in ten words what you can say in fewer. The longer you make your article, the fewer people will bother to read it.

Write well. :D

Most people on ___________ will know you only by what you say and how well you say it. Take the time to make sure your posting will not embarrass you later. Minimize spelling errors and make sure the article is easy to read and understand. Avoid the temptation to WRITE IN ALL CAPS when you want to make a point. Writing is an art that requires practice. You are your words on _____________. Choose them carefully.

Use descriptive subject lines.

The subject line enables a person with limited time to decide whether or not to read your article. Keep your subjects short and to the point.

Think about your audience.

When you post an article, think about the people you are trying to reach. Try to get the most appropriate audience for your message, not the widest.

Be familiar with the group you are posting to before you post. You shouldn't post to groups you do not read, or post to groups you've only read a few articles from - you may not be familiar with the ongoing conventions and themes of the group. One normally does not join a conversation by just walking up and talking. Instead, listen first and then join in if you have something pertinent to contribute.

Be careful with humor and sarcasm.

Without the voice inflections and body language of personal communications, it is easy for a remark meant to be funny to be misinterpreted. Subtle humor tends to get lost, so take steps to make sure that people realize you are trying to be funny. The net has developed symbols called emoticons to help convey emotions. A common one is :-) for a smiley face (look at it sideways) which should be interpreted as 'this is meant to be funny'.

Be aware that frequently satire is posted without any explicit warnings. If you find an article outrageous, ask yourself if it may be intentionally inflammatory. Don't post a self-righteous rebuttal if you suspect someone is just fishing for users with low humor thresholds.

Summarize what you are following up.

When you follow up an existing article, _____________ includes the full article in quotes, with the cursor at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start typing your message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and delete parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get through your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your reply appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get the gist of what you're talking about.

Cite appropriate references.

If you are using facts to support a cause, state where they came from. Don't take someone else's ideas and use them as your own. You don't want someone pretending that your ideas are theirs; show them the same respect.

But it is sometimes Fun to be the Idiot too peace.gif

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just because i seem to be doing this alot lately, thought id post spirko pics i have

n29401283_30241450_1081.jpgon the faceoff

n29401283_30264116_38.jpgduring warmups

n29401283_30386943_8433.jpg its blurry, but it has potential to be a good picture....

n29401283_30386939_7090.jpgbringing the puck up the ice

n29401283_30385955_7836.jpgmovin up the sheet

n29401283_30384131_5171.jpg

n29401283_30384129_4586.jpgwaiting for a rebound

n29401283_30366844_2005.jpgwith a shot on goal

n29401283_30366843_1618.jpg

n29401283_30349911_8491.jpgputting the puck back into the Sioux hands

Enough with the pics....just one person's opinion though......

LMFAO

NHL,

It's nice of you to post your pics for us to see, but might I suggest that you host them on a webpage and then post a link that we can click on if we want to look.

Thanks.

NHL,

It's nice of you to post your pics for us to see, but might I suggest that you host them on a webpage and then post a link that we can click on if we want to look.

Thanks.

What she said. We love to see the enthusiasm, but posting pics inline in every thread makes the threads hard to read and forces everyone to download high bandwidth photos. You can upload pics to a service like photobucket for free and then just provide a link to the photo album (e.g. this is a good way to post photos).

Thanks!

ok, thanks for the suggestion. however, i have then uploaded on a site, but not by player, so it becomes a question of putting multiple links on the post. also, i have wireless and high speed connections, so i didnt think about the time it takes people with dial-up to load the pics. any suggestions on what else i could do?

Or post a link to them, so not everbody has to look at the fuzzy pictures.

btw, sorry that they arent perfect. i am no professional. i have a $200 HP digital camera. so i wouldnt expect them to be perfect. however, i have a great affinity for photography, for the game of hockey, for the Sioux, and for the players on our team. I do what i can to support them. isnt this site for people to post their opinions and everythign they want to say/show? i guess im just saying that im pretty sure its my choice to post the pics. if you dont like them im sorry. i have contacted the administrator in regards to finding an easier way to post them, or a link. but, please, dont bash my pictures when I at least have them to post for those who ARE interested and happy to see them. but that is "just one person's opinion though"

UNDintheNHL

btw, sorry that they arent perfect. i am no professional. i have a $200 HP digital camera. so i wouldnt expect them to be perfect. however, i have a great affinity for photography, for the game of hockey, for the Sioux, and for the players on our team. I do what i can to support them. isnt this site for people to post their opinions and everythign they want to say/show? i guess im just saying that im pretty sure its my choice to post the pics. if you dont like them im sorry. i have contacted the administrator in regards to finding an easier way to post them, or a link. but, please, dont bash my pictures when I at least have them to post for those who ARE interested and happy to see them. but that is "just one person's opinion though"

UNDintheNHL

I am in agreement here. My photos that I have of Sioux hockey (or hockey in general) aren't that great, but they are about my passion.

So he's gotten a bit overzealous in posting all of them here at a time. At least he's taking steps to remedy the situation. No need to dogpile on this guy.

Save it for Piper. That guy's fair game.

I am in agreement here. My photos that I have of Sioux hockey (or hockey in general) aren't that great, but they are about my passion.

So he's gotten a bit overzealous in posting all of them here at a time. At least he's taking steps to remedy the situation. No need to dogpile on this guy.

Save it for Piper. That guy's fair game.

thank you for at least some support. ill do what i can. i may just form now on say that i have multiple hi-res pics if people want to see them. and then if they do, send them to each person individually who wants them. you guys think that is a good idea? i just dont wanna tick people off like i seem to have already.

ok, well, i see.....lemme just hear how many people dont like me putting up the pics. ill just find another site to post my pics and my opinions. thanks

its not about posting the pics. they are great but we dont need them in every thread on this board. make a photobucket host or something along that line for the pics. it just takes up tons of space when going through posts. thats all. no harm towards you at all, its just that they are big pics.....

your opinions are more than welcome as well but just tone down on the multiple pics in every thread...

thank you for at least some support. ill do what i can. i may just form now on say that i have multiple hi-res pics if people want to see them. and then if they do, send them to each person individually who wants them. you guys think that is a good idea? i just dont wanna tick people off like i seem to have already.

I don't think you've 'ticked' many people off. Annoyed perhaps. AZSioux is a good guy, just a bit hyper. ??? (By the way, many people use emoticons Such as --> ;) to either kid or laugh at).

In any case, sending individually is an ok idea, but I really like Jim's idea or going to a free website place like Geocities (if they still do this stuff) and hosting your photos there then linking it here. Maybe Jim would then set up a link to the site on this site somewhere. I don't know.

its not about posting the pics. they are great but we dont need them in every thread on this board. make a photobucket host or something along that line for the pics. it just takes up tons of space when going through posts. thats all. no harm towards you at all, its just that they are big pics.....

your opinions are more than welcome as well but just tone down on the multiple pics in every thread...

Agreed...we don't need them in every thread........

i already said. i have them all on a site, but not in any order, just randomly, id have to post multiple links. decide which would be better and let me know

I don't think you've 'ticked' many people off. Annoyed perhaps. AZSioux is a good guy, just a bit hyper. ??? (By the way, many people use emoticons Such as --> ;) to either kid or laugh at).

In any case, sending individually is an ok idea, but I really like Jim's idea or going to a free website place like Geocities (if they still do this stuff) and hosting your photos there then linking it here. Maybe Jim would then set up a link to the site on this site somewhere. I don't know.

haha, annoyed or not, it does seem to be a big thing. i dont wanna come in here and tick people off when im excited to read alot of the things i ahve on here and know whats goin on more than i can by just hearsay around the campus. ill say agian, i have them on a site, just not in any order, so it makes it difficult to post multiple links to pics to be on one topic

I don't think you've 'ticked' many people off. Annoyed perhaps. AZSioux is a good guy, just a bit hyper. :) (By the way, many people use emoticons Such as --> ;) to either kid or laugh at).

AZSioux has to be a good guy, he is from Bemidji. ???

So....how about that Sparky kid that plays for the Sioux?

Any idea of what's going on with him? ;)

yeah, to get back on topic, haha.....he is great at the point on power plays especially. he seems to know where the puck is all the time and where to make it go to make plays. i think if he doesnt go to Europe as is pretty much expected by now, that he will be a good candidate for Assistand Captain next year for the Sioux