SiouxSports.com Forum

Classic Timing for Media Manipulators

star2city

Anyone notice this story this morning:http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/n...ws/14177580.htm

More than 100 University of North Dakota faculty members signed and submitted a petition recently to North Dakota University System Chancellor Robert Potts, asking him to begin a "respectful process" to retire the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and logo.

The petition and letter were sent to Potts in early February but only shared with the public this week.

This story isn't about the NDUS and the nickname, the true audience is the NCAA officials who will be in Grand Forks this weekend. Have to hand it to Carson and Antes, they truly know how to manipulate the media to their best advantage. For the Herald to publish their letter today and have a major story on it says a lot about their willingness to be a tool of local activists.

"The role of the faculty is to pay close attention to the students on campus and work for their best interest," said Sharon Carson, a professor of English and Philosophy & Religion.

"We also are part of a broader community that's trying to come to a decision on this long-standing issue, so our voice needs to be heard."

translation:

"We are part of a narrow-minded community of intellectuals elites that are trying to manipulate the public into embracing our world view, so we'll do our best to harass and whine to the media at the most opportune time."

Edit: Thread was meant to be in Nickname section.

Anyone notice this story this morning:http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/n...ws/14177580.htm

This story isn't about the NDUS and the nickname, the true audience is the NCAA officials who will be in Grand Forks this weekend. Have to hand it to Carson and Antes, they truly know how to manipulate the media to their best advantage. For the Herald to publish their letter today and have a major story on it says a lot about their willingness to be a tool of local activists.

translation:

"We are part of a narrow-minded community of intellectuals elites that are trying to manipulate the public into embracing our world view, so we'll do our best to harass and whine to the media at the most opportune time."

Edit: Thread was meant to be in Nickname section.

Antes' opposition to the Fighting Sioux name has always surprised me to an extent because unlike 99.99% of the other vocal nickname opponents, he actually is a sports fan and regularly attends UND games. I even recall seeing him at the women's elite 8 basketball tournament in Pine Bluff in 1998.

Antes' opposition to the Fighting Sioux name has always surprised me to an extent because unlike 99.99% of the other vocal nickname opponents, he actually is a sports fan and regularly attends UND games. I even recall seeing him at the women's elite 8 basketball tournament in Pine Bluff in 1998.

Then what is his major issue or agenda here? I find it funny that the minute the NCAA pop up in Grand Forks the name change people make their appearance. I remember what two weeks ago narely a peep when the UND women were in the national tourney. I guess Division one sports draw more attention.

What influence do you think the 8 protesters on Friday night and 6 tonight had on the NCAA brass???

Hopefully none. On my way to the game (sat night), I did see one of the protestors (the one holding the feather staff) try to pick a fight with a passing fan that was wearing a white fighting sioux jersey. The Sioux fan was with a group of three others. The Sioux fan was already approx 20 yards past the protester when the protester came charging after the fan, stuck his feather staff in a snowbank, and challenged him to a fight. The Sioux fan just kept on walking ignoring the inappropriate behavior. Now granted, I did not hear if the Sioux fan had said anything to the protester, but the Sioux fan definitely did not make any threatening moves towards the protestor. Of course you will never see any kind of write up on this in the Herald. They were anything but peaceful protestors. Dare I say, the protestors on Sat night were the hostile and abusive ones.

Now granted, I did not hear if the Sioux fan had said anything to the protester

Exactly. You DIDN'T hear what he said. So how can you judge what was going on? It's cool though, I have it all on video tape. An hour of fingers, racists comments, threats. I'm sure Myles will find this real interesting. Thanks UND for solidifying the ignorance and "true feelings" you have towards Native people.

Exactly. You DIDN'T hear what he said. So how can you judge what was going on? It's cool though, I have it all on video tape. An hour of fingers, racists comments, threats. I'm sure Myles will find this real interesting. Thanks UND for solidifying the ignorance and "true feelings" you have towards Native people.

And that justifies threats of violence against supporters of the nickname? I see where you stand.

And that justifies threats of violence against supporters of the nickname? I see where you stand.

You call it violence, but I will do what is necessary to defend myself, even to cowards. The sad part about the whole ordeal was the children that heard everything going on, on both sides.

Of course. To GK, respect is only a one way street.

Do you know me? Were you there last night? I don't think so, so I suggest you step off, because you don't even know the half of it. Instead of looking at the evidence I have of abuse, you instead take this time to attack me, again.

I have it all on video tape. An hour of fingers, racists comments, threats. I'm sure Myles will find this real interesting. Thanks UND for solidifying the ignorance and "true feelings" you have towards Native people. Instead of looking at the evidence I have of abuse, you instead take this time to attack me, again.

Wow! GK has 'evidence' that he is going to send to Myles Brand. I hope that Myles looks at that evidence and gives it the credibility it deserves when he reviews other evidence that has been sent to him.

It seems that a certain person illegally accessed a SS.com member's account. This certain person than proceeded to post racially inflammatory remarks while posing as the innocent SS.com member. While in the account, he also changed the innocent person's password, email contact address, signature, and sent PMs posing as the innocent SS.com member. Most recently, this certain person posted a PERSONAL MESSAGE sent by the innocent person to another SS.com member last October, saying that he/she 'intercepted' the message.

Mmmm, gee whiz, is there any way to find out who this person is? The certain person can't be very smart or he/she would know that of course there is!!

So, here is a little education for that certain person. Do you know that whenever you post something your post leaves an address? That address can be used to find your network, your computer and your location. I didn't know all that either but I do now. The city and campus police didn't know that either but they were educated by campus computer security. That certain person should look up the legal definitions of libel and defamation when he/she is putting together his/her 'evidence' to send to Myles Brand and the NC$$.

So thank you certain person 'for solidifying the ignorance and "true feelings" you have towards Native people' by your actions.

BringDeanBack, what threats did GrahamKracker make? I wasn't there so I want to know what was said and what happened. By the way GrahamKracker, how can you even try to convince yourself that you carry on your culture. You probably drive a car, you probably live in a house or apartment, you probably go out for dinner, you probably buy groceries, and you do go to college. I don't remember Sitting Bull going to college? Oh yeah thats right, cultures modernize....whether you like it or not!

Wow! GK has 'evidence' that he is going to send to Myles Brand. I hope that Myles looks at that evidence and gives it the credibility it deserves when he reviews other evidence that has been sent to him.

It seems that a certain person illegally accessed a SS.com member's account. This certain person than proceeded to post racially inflammatory remarks while posing as the innocent SS.com member. While in the account, he also changed the innocent person's password, email contact address, signature, and sent PMs posing as the innocent SS.com member. Most recently, this certain person posted a PERSONAL MESSAGE sent by the innocent person to another SS.com member last October, saying that he/she 'intercepted' the message.

Mmmm, gee whiz, is there any way to find out who this person is? The certain person can't be very smart or he/she would know that of course there is!!

So, here is a little education for that certain person. Do you know that whenever you post something your post leaves an address? That address can be used to find your network, your computer and your location. I didn't know all that either but I do now. The city and campus police didn't know that either but they were educated by campus computer security. That certain person should look up the legal definitions of libel and defamation when he/she is putting together his/her 'evidence' to send to Myles Brand and the NC$$.

So thank you certain person 'for solidifying the ignorance and "true feelings" you have towards Native people' by your actions.

Sioux-cia,

I hope you send everything you have to the NCAA. I am sure that Miles Brand would like to see THAT too.

Myles will be receiving 'real' evidence FedX'd to him come Monday. Dam@, I do love technology. Oh and I love those folk who understand it and can pull out all kinds of 'evidence' from computers without even having your computer. I love the Internet.

Myles will be receiving 'real' evidence FedX'd to him come Monday. Dam@, I do love technology. Oh and I love those folk who understand it and can pull out all kinds of 'evidence' from computers without even having your computer. I love the Internet.

What happened?

BringDeanBack, what threats did GrahamKracker make? I wasn't there so I want to know what was said and what happened. By the way GrahamKracker, how can you even try to convince yourself that you carry on your culture. You probably drive a car, you probably live in a house or apartment, you probably go out for dinner, you probably buy groceries, and you do go to college. I don't remember Sitting Bull going to college? Oh yeah thats right, cultures modernize....whether you like it or not!

Dude, seriously? Listen to yourself... you sounds like an absolute buffoon. Yes, cultures modernize, but people still have the right to carry on ancient and/or sacred traditions in whatever way they deem necessary. And they also have the right to implement the modern way of life into how they chose to live...

Dude, seriously? Listen to yourself... you sounds like an absolute buffoon. Yes, cultures modernize, but people still have the right to carry on ancient and/or sacred traditions in whatever way they deem necessary. And they also have the right to implement the modern way of life into how they chose to live...

"But that's the problem. We aren't "history", we are here in the living presence. We are still defending who we are, we are still Sioux. I am so tired of hearing about the Vikings. Are you a Viking? Have you spent the last 2 years on a boat, burning and pillaging villages? No. I don't know of one Viking, anywhere. I don't know of anyone who wears the Viking horn hat anymore. But we, the Sioux, still practice our culture, the way it was don't 1000's of year before, we still sing the songs our ancestors did. And we are still fighters. I, like many of my Sioux relatives, have picked up a weapon, loaded munitions onto aircraft, or gave the ultimate sacrifice for this county. Yes, countless others have also, but I'm just saying that Fighting Sioux People still live today. Show me a true Viking. Show me a true Leprechaun. Then we we can discuss this in greater detail." This is from the "Irish hostile and abusive thread" post 37. He claims that it's different because there aren't any true vikings left. Well I'm trying to point out that if that's the way he's gonna use that example, well then he's not a true Sioux. I'm saying a "true" Sioux hunted for food and migrated with the buffalo. I'm not saying anything is wrong with him going to college or not being a "true sioux". But he just can't use that example, because it applies to Sioux also.

"But that's the problem. We aren't "history", we are here in the living presence. We are still defending who we are, we are still Sioux. I am so tired of hearing about the Vikings. Are you a Viking? Have you spent the last 2 years on a boat, burning and pillaging villages? No. I don't know of one Viking, anywhere. I don't know of anyone who wears the Viking horn hat anymore. But we, the Sioux, still practice our culture, the way it was don't 1000's of year before, we still sing the songs our ancestors did. And we are still fighters. I, like many of my Sioux relatives, have picked up a weapon, loaded munitions onto aircraft, or gave the ultimate sacrifice for this county. Yes, countless others have also, but I'm just saying that Fighting Sioux People still live today. Show me a true Viking. Show me a true Leprechaun. Then we we can discuss this in greater detail." This is from the "Irish hostile and abusive thread" post 37. He claims that it's different because there aren't any true vikings left. Well I'm trying to point out that if that's the way he's gonna use that example, well then he's not a true Sioux. I'm saying a "true" Sioux hunted for food and migrated with the buffalo. I'm not saying anything is wrong with him going to college or not being a "true sioux". But he just can't use that example, because it applies to Sioux also.

Just a little FYI.....as a matter of fact I DO hunt buffalo, and elk, and deer, and my freezer is full of meat. And as soon as it thaws around here I will be tanning that hide, in the traditional ways my people for generations before me have.

What are passwords? passwords are used to KEEP people out. Wow, can you all believe there are people out there stupid enough to use their account names for their password? A person might as well leave their door WIDE open for the world to walk in. Wow, talk about cracking cases and detective work, eh?

As for ip addresses, yeah, I know all about them, I also have "physically threatening" pm's that were intercepted (that when I posted them here mysteriously dissappeared, again), by individuals that constantly attack me. I wonder which one would be seen as more of a threat? So either walk your talk or walk away like the UND mumbling sioux fans did last night.