SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS MICHIGAN

AZSIOUX

I beg to differ....

Many students (sad, sad, sad) wait their entire college career to celebrate a national championship for their school in one sport or another. I would bet that a sizeable amount of students will show up.

And the best part is that they will be very well disbursed, so their cheers will unite those who don't "feel the need" to stand up and cheer!

If you can't get it up to play MICHIGAN, you don't deserve to be here. I guarentee St. Cloud or Denver would LOVE to play Michigan in GF.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree in part. I don't expect the students to show up in any great force. That will hurt the "crowd factor". The folks that "sit on their hands" are probably a bit older and a bit more able to pay for the tickets.

I got my tickets this morning - section 109, row C - is that the student section?

I beg to differ....

Many students (sad, sad, sad) wait their entire college career to celebrate a national championship for their school in one sport or another. I would bet that a sizeable amount of students will show up.

Time will tell of course. I was traveling this last week so I didn't get to see the Mankato series. If memory serves though the first round of the WCHA's are not that well attended by students. Certainly this is a much more important weekend.

Let's just say I hope I'm wrong and I hope you're right.

UND, Michigan, and UM in on region. Three programs with great history and pride and 21 NC's among them. Should make for some great games.

Yep, great bracket, the NCAA's attempt to keep the WCHA from dominating the Frozen Four is the fan's gain in Grand Forks. REA definitely gets the best show. If I can get out of here on time I'm grabbing a Cheap Ticket and heading west to finally see The Ralph

I can't speak for the other students at UND, but I know that me, and a group of five of my friends were at the Ralph box office the minute it opened up to sell Regional tickets back in October or whenever it was. When some of my other friends that I normally go to the games with found out that we had already gotten our tickets, they went to the Ralph and got theirs as well. We are sitting in 108 row A... Hopefully there will be quite a few students there, but the building will be rocking either way!

Yup.

Thought so - some Goofer guys I work with bought tickets 2 weeks ago and are in the upper deck - best available at the time. They must have just made these available.

Well those that know me know I don't sit on my hands and I'll fit right in with the Sioux Crew. Maybe I'll get a T-shirt.

Yeah, that same thing that freaks me about Minnesota being in the bracket freaks me out about a first round game against Michigan. They're probably my 4th choice of the four #3 seeds.

No matter how little their fans may be expecting, or what their performance may have been like in past weeks, the institution has a history of making the tournament and doing well. They have a super-veteran coach with a ton of tournament experience, the players won't be afraid of playing big bad UND, they won't be intimidated by REA or its crowds, and they're coming in with the comfort of low expectations.

If UND overlooks this game at all, we'll be one and done.

UND won't overlook Michigan nor should there be any reason to worry. Without Stafford they hung four goals on Elliot and five on Goepfort; therefore, I like their chances against other NCAA goaltending, especially Briggs. :angry:

UND won't overlook Michigan nor should there be any reason to worry. Without Stafford they hung four goals on Elliot and five on Goepfort; therefore, I like their chances against other NCAA goaltending, especially Briggs. :angry:

I have saying all season that the Minnesota goaltending and their defense are their weekness. The old Briggs has returned. I dare any Minnesota fans to say that Briggs play well this past weekend. Briggs might be able to sue his defense for non-support.

Considering the fans at the game will be ones that purchased tickets and did not recieve them from a season ticket holder, I expect the crowd to to be louder and rowdier then normal home games. Those type of fans that sit on thier hands during the season won't want to play the price for the tickets for these games.

Attendance is usually down for post-season events, I don't see why this would be any different. :angry:

For those saying that the crowd will be a bit "rowdier" than normal, I will say you're right.

The most intense crowds at Mariucci are the ones for the NCAA regionals. The fans there WANT to be there, and there is a certain buzz in the air in knowing that if you lose, your teams season is done. The most intense crowd I've ever witnessed at Mariucci was the Minnesota-Ferris State game in 2003. Fans were chirping at Ferris guys going to the penalty box, the entire crowd was into the game from the drop of the puck, not your normal Mariucci crowd. Almost a home ice advantage! :angry:

However, at Mariucci, those crowds were ones with CCHA/ECHL/Hockey East teams that were playing the Gophers. There will be a much higher percentage of Gopher fans there as well, fans that want to be there as much as the Sioux fans, so I'm guessing it may even out overall.......more Sioux fans that are going to be intense, but more Gopher fans than a normal game at Grand Forks.

It will be entertaining!

With the tables turned on two of the most privileged hockey programs as far as home ice regionals, UND will end Michigan's season with ease. The only question that would remain is if UND even gets a chance to end Minnesota's season. If they do get that chance they will end Minnesota's as well. North Dakota has the two big M schools in name only. Both will be exposed as the shams that they currently are after next weekend.

I have saying all season that the Minnesota goaltending and their defense are their weekness. The old Briggs has returned. I dare any Minnesota fans to say that Briggs play well this past weekend. Briggs might be able to sue his defense for non-support.

Briggs has been playing shaky lately but prior to that he was doing VERY well.....and the GOphers "D" prior to Final Five weekend has been pretty solid all season. I remember a certain Sioux goaltender getting pulled against the GOphers in early December when playing the GOphers, I am not trying to start a flame war here I am just saying that come tourney time anything can happen. God's brother has been playing well lately but all it takes is one off game for ANY team and their season is over.

And even though I can't believe I'm saying this, good luck against Michigan, I hope the Sioux beat the snot out of them.

With the tables turned on two of the most privileged hockey programs as far as home ice regionals, UND will end Michigan's season with ease. The only question that would remain is if UND even gets a chance to end Minnesota's season. If they do get that chance they will end Minnesota's as well. North Dakota has the two big M schools in name only. Both will be exposed as the shams that they currently are after next weekend.

Now that's sandbagging! I can already see the posts on GPL about "SS calling the Gophers a sham," not realizing it's a Gopher fan doing the namecalling. Well done.

Really pumped to get Michigan up here. The one team I really dislike after that '98 regional.

Got my tix and they moved me from behind the penalty box to our season tix Sec. 106, but lower and closer to the ice. They origianlly had all four corners reserved for the four teams, must have given 106 to UND :angry: .

I hope you're not serious. That sounds like Minnesota fans before last weekend, saying they didn't have a weakness and taking things for granted. I just hope the Sioux players don't have that mindset, or we will be hearing the phrase "Mariucci West" a lot over the next year or so.

Now that's sandbagging! I can already see the posts on GPL about "SS calling the Gophers a sham," not realizing it's a Gopher fan doing the namecalling. Well done.

Sandbagging? Perhaps but after watching Briggs, Frazee, and the defensemen this weekend the Gophers CURRENTLY are a house of cards. Having seen a few Michigan games on the dish this year they have had the same problems with very little defense and poor goaltending.

I hope you're not serious. That sounds like Minnesota fans before last weekend, saying they didn't have a weakness and taking things for granted. I just hope the Sioux players don't have that mindset, or we will be hearing the phrase "Mariucci West" a lot over the next year or so.

Well said. The maroon and gold squad are an extremely far cry from a sham. The Sioux have to follow the the old cliche "one game at a time." Also, remember what the Gophs did to our MVP goaltender 3 out of the four games? They need to keep their focus and stay humble, which I would imagine Hak will do.

Well said. The maroon and gold squad are an extremely far cry from a sham. The Sioux have to follow the the old cliche "one game at a time." Also, remember what the Gophs did to our MVP goaltender 3 out of the four games? They need to keep their focus and stay humble, which I would imagine Hak will do.

I believe Coach Hakstol will keep the team focused on one thing, and that's the Michigan game. He's consistently carried that message through all year, to success.

Jordy was interviewed on the FSN broadcast of the WI game, and he was asked about looking forward to possibly winning the tournament and he responded with the cliche "we're only taking this one game at a time", and then clarified that with "to be more precise, this one game with Wisconsin". So it seems that the players took it that way as well.

Secondly, while the Sioux celebrated the Final Five championship, they didn't seem to act like it was the end of the year. It wasn't an over the top celebration, and they didn't skate the trophy around the rink (to our chagrin) like we've seen in past Final Fives. To me, that's an indication that they are more focused on the task in front of them that celebrating the past. Finally, Hakstol's comments at the alumni gathering seem to indicate that while he feels good about the team's ability to play in the NCAA, they will not be looking at the future possibilities, and only focusing on the game at hand.

I got my tickets this morning - section 109, row C - is that the student section?

Seems that quite a few 109 tickets have been available lately. Hopefully its gone to mostly Sioux fans. I was in 116 when I bought tickets last fall, but got a call that my tickets in 116 would not work, so they moved me to 109 (row c also). Guess we'll be rather close to each other.

Also, remember what the Gophs did to our MVP goaltender 3 out of the four games?

Two of four. Lamoureux played the two games at Minnesota because Parise was injured. Phil was in the nets when UND won the second game 4-2.