SiouxSports.com Forum

Statistics

jk

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nationally, Oshie is tied with CC's Brett Sterling for the lead in game-winning goals with 8 each. Who's not far behind them? DU's Ryan Dingle (7), UW's Joe Pavalski (5) and UM's Ryan Potulny (5). It's interesting that so many of the top players in the country end up near the top of this list. My guess is that if Hobey candidate Potulny was leading the nation in game-winning goals, Gopher fans wouldn't consider it "meaningless."

Nationally, Oshie is tied with CC's Brett Sterling for the lead in game-winning goals with 8 each. Who's not far behind them? DU's Ryan Dingle (7), UW's Joe Pavalski (5) and UM's Ryan Potulny (5). It's interesting that so many of the top players in the country end up near the top of this list. My guess is that if Hobey candidate Potulny was leading the nation in game-winning goals, Gopher fans wouldn't consider it "meaningless."

Nevermind the fact that the record that T.J. broke was that of Troy Murray. I don't think it is coincidence that all those big names pop up. Game winning goals are meaningful for no other reason than it means that the player was producing when the game could go either way. Meaningless goals are goals tacked on when you are already winning by 4 goals late in the 3rd period, or an empty net goal when you are already up by 2.

Nevermind the fact that the record that T.J. broke was that of Troy Murray. I don't think it is coincidence that all those big names pop up. Game winning goals are meaningful for no other reason than it means that the player was producing when the game could go either way. Meaningless goals are goals tacked on when you are already winning by 4 goals late in the 3rd period, or an empty net goal when you are already up by 2.

Obviously the big names will be on a list like this. If you score a lot of goals, odds are that some will turn out to be game winners. If Potulny was leading this category I'd feel the exact same way.

In January in Minneapolis Zajac scored with about a minute left in the third period to give the Sioux the win. On this past Sunday the Sioux scored( I don't know who) early in the first period for a 1-0 lead. Both goals were game winners. Can you honestly tell me that the game winner this past Sunday in the FIRST period was as clutch as Zajac's in January? It's not hard too see why this stat can be misleading.

None of this is Oshie bashing, he's a great player. But being credited with game winning goals turns out to be more luck than anything else.

Obviously the big names will be on a list like this. If you score a lot of goals, odds are that some will turn out to be game winners. If Potulny was leading this category I'd feel the exact same way.

In January in Minneapolis Zajac scored with about a minute left in the third period to give the Sioux the win. On this past Sunday the Sioux scored( I don't know who) early in the first period for a 1-0 lead. Both goals were game winners. Can you honestly tell me that the game winner this past Sunday in the FIRST period was as clutch as Zajac's in January? It's not hard too see why this stat can be misleading.

None of this is Oshie bashing, he's a great player. But being credited with game winning goals turns out to be more luck than anything else.

Poor Buckyboy, luck is being on team that will pad your totals with phantom assists and won't suspend you for underage drinking. ???

It's just like any other stat, and why stats aren't always the best indicater of a player. An assist can be the reason for an easy goal, or it can have no real part in the goal being scored.

OT goals would be more impressive, but in the NCAA there aren't many of them. For anyone with hockey knowledge that watches a team play in tight games, you know who are the clutch guys down the stretch.

Game winning goals are meaningful for no other reason than it means that the player was producing when the game could go either way.

That's where you're dead wrong. What about scoring the fifth goal of the game for your team in the second period to put your team up 5-2 and then your team hangs on for a 5-4 win? Was that game winning goal scored when the game could have gone either way?

Oshie's stats this year are VERY impressive, 22 goals for a freshman is outstanding. The fact that eight of those ended up being game winners just doesn't tell us alot.

It's just like any other stat, and why stats aren't always the best indicater of a player. An assist can be the reason for an easy goal, or it can have no real part in the goal being scored.

OT goals would be more impressive, but in the NCAA there aren't many of them. For anyone with hockey knowledge that watches a team play in tight games, you know who are the clutch guys down the stretch.

Yeah, I agree. That's why it's not an important stat. Vanek scored 31 goals in '03 and 17 of them were in the third period or overtime. He had the overtime goal in the semi's of the Frozen Four and the tie breaking third period goal in the title game. Say what you want about Vanek, but he was the most clutch third period goal scorer I've ever seen in college hockey.

Hmmmmm, TJ's gw goals/assists=pure luck. Certain goophie player's gw goals/phantom assists= ultimate skill, speed, hard work, desire, great vision, unbelievable hands, ect. ect. Maybe all of hockey should abolish this stat because of it's insignifigance. Get a damn clue bucky.

Obviously Bucky will discredit anything to do with Oshie because deep down inside he knows what we all know, who the real NCAA ROY the year should be. ;)

So time to move on to a different Stat that really impressed me, six shutouts and a 2.06 GAA by a Goalie who starts in the WCHA and has 4 Freshmen start in front of him almost every game. Think of what Parise could have accomplished in the other leagues and with a senior D. ???

Hmmmmm, TJ's gw goals/assists=pure luck. Certain goophie player's gw goals/phantom assists= ultimate skill, speed, hard work, desire, great vision, unbelievable hands, ect. ect. Maybe all of hockey should abolish this stat because of it's insignifigance. Get a damn clue bucky.

I NEVER once said Oshie's goals were luck. Most of his goals come from his hard work ethic. I'm saying sometimes it's luck when you're credited with a game winner.

Once again triouxper you prove to be a jerk. All you do is rip Kessel and put me down. I've never once said anything bad about Oshie but you continue to show that you are absolutely obsessed with Kessel. You hate him, I get it, we all get it.

Obviously Bucky will discredit anything to do with Oshie because deep down inside he knows what we all know, who the real NCAA ROY the year should be. ???

Discredit anything to do with Oshie? I think I've complimented him in most of my posts. I think he's a great player who's earned every point he got this year.

In January in Minneapolis Zajac scored with about a minute left in the third period to give the Sioux the win. On this past Sunday the Sioux scored( I don't know who) early in the first period for a 1-0 lead. Both goals were game winners. Can you honestly tell me that the game winner this past Sunday in the FIRST period was as clutch as Zajac's in January?

Yes, I can tell you that. Because if the Sioux had scored no more goals in Sunday's MSU game, it would have been the game-winner regardless of the time at which it was scored. If Shepherd had waved off one Zajac goal and Tormey had reacted slightly quicker to another, Porter's goal 47 seconds into the game would have been huge.

Assist statistics can be extremely misleading as well. Sometimes players get credit for an assist when the goal scored was almost completely the effort and determination of the player scoring the goal. Sometimes the second assist is more important than the first assist. Sometimes the assist is the most important part of the play that led to the goal being scored.

But nobody keeps track of the circumstances under which an assist occurred, just as nobody keeps track of the relative importance of when game-winning goals are scored. If the game-winning goals statistic was "meaningless," we wouldn't bother to keep track of it.

Discredit anything to do with Oshie? I think I've complimented him in most of my posts. I think he's a great player who's earned every point he got this year.

It's just having a name with the word "sucks" in it. ???

I think it's wrong to say this particular stat is "meaningless", but perhaps it would be fair to say that it should be viewed with a, "grain of salt"?

That said I think some of you are taking what bucky has said a bit too far. I didn't read anything by him that indicated he's discrediting anything Oshie has accomplished and in fact seems to have been quite complimentary of him. If you compare what he's said about Oshie versus Hab's continued bashing of Kessel, the two aren't even close. ???

Thought on the Kessel Oshie bit:

They are both special players and Kessel will win based on his high point total without looking further. I haven't seen Kessel in person enough to make an educated statement of his total game, but I do know that you can put together a wonderful highlight reel showing both players offensive abilities, but Oshie highlights of his big hits would get as many ooohs and aaahs as the others. I haven't seen Kessel lay anyone out yet. Oshie's physical play does add another dimension.

Has anyone even seem a player, and a freshman at that, knock as many people on their a** while carrying the puck?

I think it's wrong to say this particular stat is "meaningless", but perhaps it would be fair to say that it should be viewed with a, "grain of salt"?

Perhaps. But you know darn well that if Potulny or some other Minnesota player (especially a freshman) led the nation in this stat, most Gopher fans wouldn't be so quick to toss it into the saltshaker. ???