SiouxSports.com Forum

Statistics

jk

I think different opinions should be welcomed here without be ripped on every time. Sure it's Sioux Sports .com but it doesn't say Sioux fans only when you sign up. Remember Triouxper keep your friends close and your enemies closer ;) Lots of people vary in styles and what teams they like.Let people express themselves unless they come on here just to flame and it doesn't seem to be the case with Slap Shot or BuckySucks ??? Just my opinion.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me try to put this into perspective for everyone. If I were to go over to gpl and say that Mat Carle deserves the Hobey more than Ryan Potulny, because of the fact that Carle is a defenseman, and points are harder to score, therefore they mean alot more. I would end up defending myself to the goopher faithful, and everyone here knows it. For the record, I think Potulny and Carle are both fine players, and secondly, I'm smarter than that to even go over there and open a can of worms like that. Hence, I have no sympathy for slappy and bucky because they know exactly what they are doing, even though they don't care to admit it.

Slappy you still didn't answer my question, but chose to dance around it. Let me simplify so you understand. If I had done the same thing on gpl would I face scrutiny or not ?

You asked a dishonest question. You asked, "If I went over to gpl and somehow discredited or otherwise attempted to taint your golden boy..." - no one tried to taint Oshie, Bucky simply began a disalogue about the significance of the GWG stat. Can that topic not be discussed without childishly dragging this into another, "Sioux vs Gophers" argument? If buckysucks had asked the question without it having any relation to Oshie, would you have even given a rip?

As for what would happen if you went to GPL to suggest that Carle should win the Hobey, plenty of non-Gopher posters have made that suggestion and plenty of Gopher fans have said Carle would be a very deserving winner of the award. I don't think anyone was cyber-lynched for it either. ???

What color is the sky in your "perfect gopher fan world". You're so full of $hit. Oh and for the record slap, it doesn't matter the player or the team, anyone that says gwg's are a meaningless stat is just being plain foolish. It is a hockey stat that has always been kept, deal with it.

We don't put an asterisk or some other symbol by every goal or assist to indicate each player's relative importance in the goal being scored or the relative importance of when the goal was scored in the game.

Bad analogy. If my pass to you doesn't connect, your pass to ___ doesn't connect and the goal doesn't happen. In the case of phantom 2nd assists, well a phantom assist wasn't all that important was it? ;)

And who suggested an asterisk be put on the stat? I just don't think there's anything that outrageous with Bucky's opinion. iow - there's two sides to the coin. I didn't suggest the stat should be tossed out nor ignored, only that he has a point. ???

Bad analogy. If my pass to you doesn't connect, your pass to ___ doesn't connect and the goal doesn't happen. In the case of phantom 2nd assists, well a phantom assist wasn't all that important was it? ???

And who suggested an asterisk be put on the stat? Is it not possible to discuss the overall significance of a stat without it automatically being considered a slight toward a certain player or program?

You're completely missing the point. You're saying that game-winning goals is a "grain of salt" stat because some game-winning goals are more important than others depending on the circumstances under which which they were scored. I don't disagree with the idea that not all game-winners are of equal importance.

However, I'm saying that the exact same logic can be applied to goals and assists. Some goals are more important than others. Some assists are more important than others. And some players who figure prominently in the scoring of a goal don't even show up in the stats. It's all relative, but it doesn't stop us from keeping track of goal and assists or using them to judge a player's performance.

You could just as easily make the case that every goal scored after the game-winning goal was "meaningless" or worth only "a grain of salt," thus making the game-winning goal stat the most meaningful one of all.

Edited by PCM

You asked a dishonest question. You asked, "If I went over to gpl and somehow discredited or otherwise attempted to taint your golden boy..." - no one tried to taint Oshie, Bucky simply began a disalogue about the significance of the GWG stat. Can that topic not be discussed without childishly dragging this into another, "Sioux vs Gophers" argument? If buckysucks had asked the question without it having any relation to Oshie, would you have even given a rip?

As for what would happen if you went to GPL to suggest that Carle should win the Hobey, plenty of non-Gopher posters have made that suggestion and plenty of Gopher fans have said Carle would be a very deserving winner of the award. I don't think anyone was cyber-lynched for it either. ???

AngelCyan.gif

And the discussion was just fine until bucky started in with his meaningless stat theory.

It's a thread about stats. I gave my opinion on game winning goals, which last time I checked is a stat. I never said anything negative about Oshie, in fact I said quite the opposite. Then you freaked out. That's how I remember it.

I'm saying that the exact same logic can be applied to goals and assists. Some goals are more important than others. Some assists are more important than others.

Of course it could and I wouldn't have a problem with anyone making that suggestion, even if I didn't agree. It's not as if you suggested there should be a BTHC or something ridiculous like that. ;)

However, to be sure any assist that was an actual assist was just as important as another vis a vis a goal being scored. If either pass doesn't connect that specific goal doesn't happen. Given that fact, how could one assist be more imporant than the other? ;) But I think we can move past that now can't we?

You could just as easily make the case that every goal scored after the game-winning goal was "meaningless" or worth only "a grain of salt," thus making the game-winning goal stat the most meaningful one of all.
Yes I could, but I wouldn't because I have not said the GWG is a meaningless stat - only that I think Bucky's argument has merit. That's it - nothing more. I don't think it's an affront to the sanctity of the college hockey world to discuss the possibility that a GWG isn't automatically all that it's cracked up to be. Not to suggest it's meaningless, requires an asterisk, should not be kept nor shouldn't be applaued. That's it. ???

What color is the sky in your "perfect gopher fan world". You're so full of $hit.

Dear Parise. This is what I get for trying to engage you in an adult dialogue.

Folks, I would like to point out that PCM is offering a rational, and logical, and insightful response to slappy, and yet he still tries to shove his crap down our throats. This leads me to believe he(slappy) is just full of crap like usual, and wants to get $hit going, as does bucky. See it doesn't really matter if you're respectful to these guys or not, I'm not saying they have to agree 100% or vice versa, but I believe they say some of this crap just to get this $hit going. Hey bucky, why the name change ?

Folks, I would like to point out that PCM is offering a rational, and logical, and insightful response to slappy, and yet he still tries to shove his crap down our throats. This leads me to believe he(slappy) is just full of crap like usual, and wants to get $hit going, as does bucky. See it doesn't really matter if you're respectful to these guys or not, I'm not saying they have to agree 100% or vice versa, but I believe they say some of this crap just to get this $hit going.

Then again, I see the discussion between Slap Shot and PCM to be a somewhat rational one and I don't see any harm or disrespect aired out either way.

I've actuall enjoyed reading what little actual discussion there has been on this thread regarding the topic.

Folks, I would like to point out that PCM is offering a rational, and logical, and insightful response to slappy, and yet he still tries to shove his crap down our throats. This leads me to believe he(slappy) is just full of crap like usual, and wants to get $hit going, as does bucky. See it doesn't really matter if you're respectful to these guys or not, I'm not saying they have to agree 100% or vice versa, but I believe they say some of this crap just to get this $hit going. Hey bucky, why the name change ?

I can't speak for slap shot, but I don't post "to get $hit going" as you say and I'm sure the same goes for slap shot. I gave my opinion, that's all.

I changed my name because I regretted picking buckysucks. It was too derogatory.