SiouxSports.com Forum

Statistics

jk

Glancing at UND's season stats after the first-round series, and a few things jumped out at me:

1. Oshie and Toews, two freshmen forwards, have scored a combined 40 goals this season. That is a pretty remarkable number. I haven't gone looking yet, but I'm guessing that's a pretty rare occurrence.

2. Lee and Chorney, two freshmen defensemen, have a combined 6-32-38 line. That is more than just solid for freshmen at that position.

3. Matt Smaby's scoring line after two years was 2-8-10 in 83 games. This year he has 3-13-16 in 41 games (so far). He's following the development curve perfectly: 1. Adjust to college, 2. control your own zone, 3. add offense, 4. dominate everywhere.

4. Seven players have played all 41 games this year: Smaby, Porter, Zajac, Duncan, Kozek, Watkins, Jones. Four freshmen and three others, reflecting the overall makeup of the team. Congrats to those guys.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glancing at UND's season stats after the first-round series, and a few things jumped out at me:

1. Oshie and Toews, two freshmen forwards, have scored a combined 40 goals this season. That is a pretty remarkable number. I haven't gone looking yet, but I'm guessing that's a pretty rare occurrence.

2. Lee and Chorney, two freshmen defensemen, have a combined 6-32-38 line. That is more than just solid for freshmen at that position.

3. Matt Smaby's scoring line after two years was 2-8-10 in 83 games. This year he has 3-13-16 in 41 games (so far). He's following the development curve perfectly: 1. Adjust to college, 2. control your own zone, 3. add offense, 4. dominate everywhere.

4. Seven players have played all 41 games this year: Smaby, Porter, Zajac, Duncan, Kozek, Watkins, Jones. Four freshmen and three others, reflecting the overall makeup of the team. Congrats to those guys.

Those are great stats. Kessel Who?:silly:?? I think they will do just fine the rest of the way. But can you imagine next year once all these freshman get a little better after this year. The future looks very bright for the Sioux hockey team.

By the way did anyone see that report on CBS sportsline yesterday???What a joke, mostly biased but that is CBS liberal media...

Those are great stats. Kessel Who?:silly:?? I think they will do just fine the rest of the way. But can you imagine next year once all these freshman get a little better after this year. The future looks very bright for the Sioux hockey team.

By the way did anyone see that report on CBS sportsline yesterday???What a joke, mostly biased but that is CBS liberal media...

What report?

What report?

IT was a report regarding the NCAA ruling regarding nicknames. They had a sound bite from Kupcella and one other person saying that it is an hon or to have a school named after them. The rest of the report was basically saying that having indian nicknames makes natives out to be second class citizens. A lot of BS. One person from UND Indian studies group said that UND has never had permission from any tribe to use the nickname. That is just a lie. I tivo'd the report it was maybe 5 minutes long

I did a little checking and found these:

- BC in 2000-01. Kobasew (27) and Ben Eaves (13) combined for 40, with Voce adding 12.

- MN in 2002-03. Vanek (31) and Guyer (13) had 44, with Hirsch adding 9.

Of course Duncan has 11 for the Sioux as well.

I checked Michigan, MN, BC and CC back to 1999-2000, since I knew they had some freshmen have big individual years (Senja, Vanek, etc.)

IT was a report regarding the NCAA ruling regarding nicknames. They had a sound bite from Kupcella and one other person saying that it is an hon or to have a school named after them. The rest of the report was basically saying that having indian nicknames makes natives out to be second class citizens. A lot of BS. One person from UND Indian studies group said that UND has never had permission from any tribe to use the nickname. That is just a lie. I tivo'd the report it was maybe 5 minutes long

HAH! I know who you are...

It was really great to see you again, and great to see your CUTE baby!!!

Those are great stats. Kessel Who?:lol:?? I think they will do just fine the rest of the way. But can you imagine next year once all these freshman get a little better after this year. The future looks very bright for the Sioux hockey team.

do you know, or does anyone know if there is a link to watch this? i've searched a little bit, but i don't think i'm doing it properly. :silly:

In my opinion Oshie's Game Winning Goals is the most impressive stat and must be close to a record for a Freshman.

I think it's one of the more meaningless stats in hockey. You score a goal to go ahead 4-1 and your team hangs on for a 4-3 win and you're credited with the game winner? A true game winning goal is like the one Zajac got against the gophers in January at Mariucci. Look at last years Frozen Four semi final against the Gophers. Whoever scored the third goal for the Sioux(I don't remember who it was) was credited with the game winner because the Gophers were able to score a couple in the third. I just think it's a very misleading stat.

I think it's one of the more meaningless stats in hockey. You score a goal to go ahead 4-1 and your team hangs on for a 4-3 win and you're credited with the game winner? A true game winning goal is like the one Zajac got against the gophers in January at Mariucci. Look at last years Frozen Four semi final against the Gophers. Whoever scored the third goal for the Sioux(I don't remember who it was) was credited with the game winner because the Gophers were able to score a couple in the third. I just think it's a very misleading stat.

Very good point.

A game winning goal is credited to the player who scores the goal that ultimately ends up being the "game winner". Lame stat or not it is one that they keep track of. Just like game winning runs in baseball. It's signifigance may not be great, but it is probably one of those stats that just falls more into the "interesting" category. Maybe someone should start keeping stats on how idiot goopher fans come on here and post what they think about meaningless statistics. As far as being misleading, it's almost as misleading as a certain goophers assist statistic's.

A game winning goal is credited to the player who scores the goal that ultimately ends up being the "game winner". Lame stat or not it is one that they keep track of. Just like game winning runs in baseball. It's signifigance may not be great, but it is probably one of those stats that just falls more into the "interesting" category. Maybe someone should start keeping stats on how idiot goopher fans come on here and post what they think about meaningless statistics. As far as being misleading, it's almost as misleading as a certain goophers assist statistic's.

What's up your a**? I simply gave my opinion on game winning goals and then you have to call me an idiot and take a shot at Kessel. I mean seriously what is your problem? I didn't say anything negative about Oshie or the Sioux. I love Oshie as a player, I think he's great. My opinion that game winning goals can be misleading hardly warranted the response you gave.

What's up your a**? I simply gave my opinion on game winning goals and then you have to call me an idiot and take a shot at Kessel. I mean seriously what is your problem? I didn't say anything negative about Oshie or the Sioux. I love Oshie as a player, I think he's great. My opinion that game winning goals can be misleading hardly warranted the response you gave.

c'mon bucky, if you read that as if he's saying it to a badger fan, that's pretty damn funny. Take it for what it's worth, man, a meaningless shot at a meaningless post responding to a meaningless post about a meaningless stat being compared to another meaningless stat in a different sport, one of which is very meaningFUL to all of us on this board. :silly::lol:

Actually, I think being a one dimensional player makes you rather meaningless in the grand scheme of things including pahntom assists you garner while on the bench. Just my opinion though. :silly:

Actually, I think being a one dimensional player makes you rather meaningless in the grand scheme of things including pahntom assists you garner while on the bench. Just my opinion though. :silly:

And yet another shot at Kessel. You guys are as predictable as they come.

There's an old saying that there are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics. It is hard to tell by a stat like GWG whether that players GWG are meaningful or not.

I have been to most home games and the one thing I always come away with is how high an intensity level Oshie plays at every shift. He never takes a shift off.

Because of that, and because of the games I've seen, I think Oshie's GWG stat is legit. But that is hard to quantify in any absolute sense. It is just my take on kid I am thrilled to watch wear the Green and White!

Just keep it rolling T.J.!

Misleading stats aside, as college hockey fans we can all agree that Kessel and Oshie are truly great talents. If these kids stick around for a while, WCHA fans will be in for a real treat. Players like the aforementioned, Towes, Skille, Wheeler, Stoa, plus an incoming Gophers class that includes Erik Johnson and Ryan Oksposo (don't know anything about other incoming classes) have the potential to make the next few years beyond special.