SiouxSports.com Forum

Statistics

jk

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it could and I wouldn't have a problem with anyone making that suggestion, even if I didn't agree. It's not as if you suggested there should be a BTHC or something ridiculous like that. ;)

However, to be sure any assist that was an actual assist was just as important as another vis a vis a goal being scored. If either pass doesn't connect that specific goal doesn't happen. Given that fact, how could one assist be more imporant than the other? ;) But I think we can move past that now can't we?

Yes I could, but I wouldn't because I have not said the GWG is a meaningless stat - only that I think Bucky's argument has merit. That's it - nothing more. I don't think it's an affront to the sanctity of the college hockey world to discuss the possibility that a GWG isn't automatically all that it's cracked up to be. Not to suggest it's meaningless, requires an asterisk, should not be kept nor shouldn't be applaued. That's it. ???

Dear Parise. This is what I get for trying to engage you in an adult dialogue.

No offense, but with a name like "slappy" you shouldn't say "engage in adult dialogue", people might get the wrong impression of you.

Folks, I would like to point out that PCM is offering a rational, and logical, and insightful response to slappy, and yet he still tries to shove his crap down our throats. This leads me to believe he(slappy) is just full of crap like usual, and wants to get $hit going, as does bucky.

Where is slap shot shoving his crap down your throats? To me it seemed like a very normal, level headed response.

And how can you complain about his post when a few posts ago you told him he was full of $hit in a very child like response of your own.

I know where you're coming from, THETRIOUXPER. I'm done discussing this topic with Slappy because he either doesn't get it or simply wants to argue for the sake of arguing. I, too, get sick of his condescending "Gopher fans are so much better than this" approach to any post that's negative toward Minnesota.

While I don't hang out or post on GPL, I've visited that board enough times to know that the fans over there aren't much different from the fans over here or the fans on USCHO. I've always considered it a complete waste of time to argue with fans of opposing teams on their own sites.

If I want to read the Gopher fan spin, I visit GPL to see what it is, not to convince them that they're wrong for thinking like Gopher fans.

So, here now, the dog. ???

wake_me.jpg

Where is slap shot shoving his crap down your throats? To me it seemed like a very normal, level headed response.

And how can you complain about his post when a few posts ago you told him he was full of $hit in a very child like response of your own.

I am childish, and he is full of $hit, thanks for noticing. Thanks PCM, again a very concise, to the point, accurate post.

I know where you're coming from, THETRIOUXPER. I'm done discussing this topic with Slappy because he either doesn't get it or simply wants to argue for the sake of arguing. I, too, get sick of his condescending "Gopher fans are so much better than this" approach to any post that's negative toward Minnesota.

Finally, slappy in a nutshell

I could have sworn you and I were pretty much saying the same thing. I said I agree with you that the GWG is not a meaningless stat, but that I also don't think Bucky's opinion was without merit. How is that arguing for arguing sake? How is that condescending? I think the only thing we slightly disagreed upon was the assist angle, but I certainly didn't think it was a contentious issue, nor disrespectful in the least? Now sprig has to pile on? What am I missing here? [sigh]

i'm bored... so i'm going through oshie's goals. if he scored a gwg and then the sioux won the game by 1 goals or less (not including eng) i will count that as an important gwg.

dec 16 vs bemidji

ok, so after going through the w's in which UND won by 1 goals or less, it seems that oshie has just one "important gwg."

here are potulny's important gwg stats:

feb 17 vs denver

so potulny also has just one gwg that "matters"

and since i was still bored and surprised by that, i decided to take a look at potulny's/oshie's/kessel's goals and if they are helpers (helping overcome a deficit) or piling ons (just adding meaningless goals).

potulny

nov 11 vs uaa - (1 goal)

nov 25 vs mich - (1 goal)

jan 13 vs UND - (1 goal)

feb 10 vs tech - (1 goal)

feb 25 vs uaa - (2 goals)

mar 4 vs umd - (1 goal)

7 of 34 for 20% of his goals are meaningless.

oshie

oct 8 vs miami - (1 goal)

nov 11 vs umd - (1 goal)

dec 2 vs tech - (1 goal)

dec 17 vs bem - (1 goal)

jan 20 vs man - (1 goal)

feb 17 vs umd - (1 goal)

mar 11 vs man - (1 goal)

7 of 22 for 31%

kessel

oct 21 vs man - (1 goal)

nov 25 vs mich - (1 goal)

jan 28 vs wis - (1 goal)

feb 25 vs uaa - (1 goal)

mar 11 vs uaa - (1 goal)

5 of 17 for 29%

and just for fun, kessel's meaningless assists:

nov 11 vs uaa - (4 assists)

jan 7 vs niagara - (1 assist)

jan 13 v UND - (1 assist)

feb 18 vs du - (2 assists)

mar 11 vs uaa - (1 assist)

9 of 30 for 30%

ok, now i'm done.

THETRIOUXPER, Slap Shot, and buckysieve...Hoggsbreath, 11:00 am this Saturday. Let's settle this once and for all over a good game of pool.

I have a better idea, Steel cage match between the Fridays Western Regional games. No holds barred with PCM as Ref. That would be cool ??? THETRIOUXPER and SIOUXHABIT vs. SLAPSHOT and BUCKYSIEVE. We could sell tickets and everthing.

I have a better idea, Steel cage match between the Fridays Western Regional games. No holds barred with PCM as Ref. That would be cool ??? THETRIOUXPER and SIOUXHABIT vs. SLAPSHOT and BUCKYSIEVE. We could sell tickets and everthing.

I promise not to gouge slappy in his good eye, so he can keep his distorted view of things ;)

While I realize that the Oshie vs. Kessel posts get tiresome, some people in this thread were having a legitimate discussion about statistics, which is the thread's title.

So let's talk about short-handed goals--these are tough to come by, at any level, including the NHL. Stafford is leading the NCAA with 6 so far--one of them unassisted, I believe.

So according to Mory00's system of breaking it down Oshie and Potulny each have one "important gwg," but they're credited with 8 and 5 respectively. This certainly doesn't take anything away from the amazing year Oshie had but I do think it shows how misleading this stat can be. It's a perfect example of why I don't care for the stat.

Boy, if N. J. Petry could see this thread there would be another seething letter to the editor about unsportsmanship and hockey, resplendent with four letter words and everything.

In my case, I was on the "Tastes Great" side until a few years ago when I had to start taking the "Less Filling" characteristic into consideration. Now, at my age, both matter.

Boy, if N. J. Petry could see this thread there would be another seething letter to the editor about unsportsmanship and hockey, resplendent with four letter words and everything.

In my case, I was on the "Tastes Great" side until a few years ago when I had to start taking the "Less Filling" characteristic into consideration. Now, at my age, both matter.

is that why all you ever drink is flavored water?

It's a perfect example of why I don't care for the stat.

So we should stop tracking goals and assists, too, because none of those stats reflect the true importance of every goal and every assist. Right?

Using your logic, every goal scored after the game-winning goal is, for all intents and purposes, meaningless. Therefore, the only meaningful goals ever scored are game-winning goals and any goals that precede them. Everything after that is extraneous garbage.