SiouxSports.com Forum

I-AA West: University of North Dakota, It's Time to Move Up

ralphputer

How about this perspective: If maintaining the UND-NDSU rivalry is of utmost importance, why doesn't Kent write a column proposing that NDSU go back to the DII NCC? If we're going to look at the need to maintain the rivalry from a purely objective perspective, that should be a potential solution, too.

However, I know that someone with NDSU ties would immediately be labeled a heretic for proposing such a thing. Thus, the solution for continuation of the UND-NDSU rivarly is alway framed in terms of what UND must do, not what NDSU could also do if it really, truly cared so awful much about the precious rivalry.

Look, I accept the fact that by moving to DI-AA, NDSU did what it thought was in its best interest. But by doing that, it ended the rivalry. NDSU was unhappy with its DII marriage. It sought a divorce and got it. Fine. That was NDSU's choice, not UND's.

Perhaps UND's DI committee will decide that it's now in the university's best interest to move up to DI-AA. And that's fine, too. As long as UND can make the move in a rational, financially sound manner, I'll likely support it.

But if somone's going to tell me that UND must move to DI-AA because resuming the rivalry is the most important factor, I'm going to call their reasoning bovine scatology because that's what it is. If the rivarly was of any great concern to NDSU, it wouldn't have taken the action it did to end it.

I agree - UND needs to move to DI if it's in its best interest. But please tell me "what has changed" today that wasn't there 2 years ago?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But if somone's going to tell me that UND must move to DI-AA because resuming the rivalry is the most important factor, I'm going to call their reasoning bovine scatology because that's what it is.

Though there's no way of knowing for sure, but I imagine that if NDSU was still DII, UND would be more happy than it is currently and that we wouldn't see a DI transition committee in Grand Forks.

And I'd say yes, rivalry, or the perception of falling behind NDSU in anyway, whatsoever, is the main motivation for UND moving up. Call my opinion whatever you'd like.

When you sign up (ralphputer) to post an article you lose all credibility, especially when you claim to have attended "GVSU" with the name "ralph" and then write "as always go sioux." Then later claiming "We pride ourselves on being non-partisan." in reference to IAA.org. You are a man of lies my friend.
What are you talking about? I have no idea who you are but I am the publisher of I-AA.org and College Sporting News. When one of our writers features a school I always go to the fan board and post the article unless the writer does. We cover D-I and D-III pretty intensely.

I did not say I attended GVSU, I attended Grand Valley before they were a university. I support all college football. I grew up in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan. So before you go smacking on a discussion board you should check yourself. Calling me a liar is an unfavorable reflection on you.

I can't believe the admin of this board allows this type of personal attack to fester on a "discussion" board.

1. Why are "big-time" DI-AA NDSU fans (on a DI-AA FB board no less) so worried about what a lil' ol' DII may or may not do?

2. The biggest smile on a face award goes to Zaundra Bina. :blink:

3. NDSU's departure from DII was the root cause to the end of the rivalry. (There was no need for contract or cross-division point formulas worries before that event; thus, root cause.)

What are you talking about? I have no idea who you are but I am the publisher of I-AA.org and College Sporting News. When one of our writers features a school I always go to the fan board and post the article unless the writer does. We cover D-I and D-III pretty intensely.

I did not say I attended GVSU, I attended Grand Valley before they were a university. I support all college football. I grew up in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan. So before you go smacking on a discussion board you should check yourself. Calling me a liar is an unfavorable reflection on you.

I can't believe the admin of this board allows this type of personal attack to fester on a "discussion" board.

You come off as a GVSU attending, IAA loving, Sioux fan. Something aint' right. It is the Sioux fan part. The "as always go sioux" part is a lie. Your favorite schools are GVSU & the U of Michigan where you also attended so, by definition, can't be "as always." I can't believe the administrators of this "discussion" board allow such blatant liars.

Is that the same smile that ritchie has? :lol:

I'll admit the Bison Mens Basketball team is a good team with a very good coach. Amy Ruley just rubs me the wrong way...even when she was winning she seemed like she was miserable. In contrast to Tim Miles...who is such an upbeat guy with a terrific attitude.

You come off as a GVSU attending, IAA loving, Sioux fan. Something aint' right. It is the Sioux fan part. The "as always go sioux" part is a lie. Your favorite schools are GVSU & the U of Michigan where also attended so, by definition, can't be "as always." I can't believe the administrators of this "discussion" board allow such blatant liars.
You sir have serious problems.

If you know so much about me then tell me where I attended school, where I graduated from etc. (hint it wasn't GV or UMich).

I always give a tip of the hat to fans of schools, hence GO SIOUX. I am not a newbie in this arena.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder towards me for no reason that you care to state. Come on, say it.

No one is lying here but you.

1. Why are "big-time" DI-AA NDSU fans (on a DI-AA FB board no less) so worried about what a lil' ol' DII may or may not do?...
I think Kent lead his column off with the words:

"Everyone loves a good rivalry. It is one of the hallmarks of college sports."

You come off as a GVSU attending, IAA loving, Sioux fan. Something aint' right. It is the Sioux fan part. The "as always go sioux" part is a lie. Your favorite schools are GVSU & the U of Michigan where you also attended so, by definition, can't be "as always." I can't believe the administrators of this "discussion" board allow such blatant liars.

I'm with ralph on this one, he was just trying to be friendly with the "as always, go sioux". The initial suspicion was understandable (there have been an unusual influx of poseur Sioux fans recently), but he's explained his seemingly conflicting posts more than adequately. In the future, when suspicious of Sioux fan poseurs, please just keep an eye on them and forward your concerns to me or a moderator, because the immediate assumption of guilt and this sort of response is hardly welcoming to new guests.

You sir have serious problems.

If you know so much about me then tell me where I attended school, where I graduated from etc. (hint it wasn't GV or UMich).

I always give a tip of the hat to fans of schools, hence GO SIOUX. I am not a newbie in this arena.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder towards me for no reason that you care to state. Come on, say it.

No one is lying here but you.

I do not know who you are. I dont' care who you are. I care about Sioux Sports. I don't know where you graduated. I know you attended Michigan. I know your favorite schools are GVSU, Michigan, and St. Johns. In their respective divisions.

You must understand there are numerous newbies that register on this board just to post and flame about UND vs NDSU who claim to be someone that they are not. They register accounts and flame away. I pointed out the fact that some new person posts about an article about a rivalry. Now, with that said, you later claimed to have "attended Grand Valley" which many people would think of as attending Grand Valley State University. Then you later claim something about "We" at I-AA.org and finally claim "as always go sioux" which many would probably have assumed you were a fan of the greatest collegiate team in the history of the universe. I was simply pointing out that you were indeed NOT a Sioux fan.

Add me to the list who think BisonKent is a one of the good guys.

I never said he wasn't a "good guy." I said that Kent's column was written with an NDSU slant, which is my opinion. I'm quite well qualified to render that opinion. :blink:

While if you handed me the article anonymously, it would be easy to conclude that it was written by a Bison fan, I thought he went out of his way to try to suppress his biases.
True.

I think this assessment of the end of the rivalry was treated quite fairly:

Overall, I'd agree. I never said Kent was being unfair or false, only that I considered his approach slanted toward NDSU's point of view.

I do not know who you are. I dont' care who you are. I care about Sioux Sports. I don't know where you graduated. I know you attended Michigan. I know your favorite schools are GVSU, Michigan, and St. Johns. In their respective divisions.

You must understand there are numerous newbies that register on this board just to post and flame about UND vs NDSU who claim to be someone that they are not. They register accounts and flame away. I pointed out the fact that some new person posts about an article about a rivalry. Now, with that said, you later claimed to have "attended Grand Valley" which many people would think of as attending Grand Valley State University. Then you later claim something about "We" at I-AA.org and finally claim "as always go sioux" which many would probably have assumed you were a fan of the greatest collegiate team in the history of the universe. I was simply pointing out that you were indeed NOT a Sioux fan.

You certainly give the opinion that you know who I am. You stated that I attended the University of Michigan and I am a fan of St. Johns, things I never mentioned. You have an axe to grind with me obviously and are now trying to play dumb.

I always post under my own name or ralphputer if ralph is taken (your's is obviously not cratter). I do not hide and I am active on more than 70 messageboards.

I do not "flame away" like some others do on discussion boards. I posted a link to an article.

Only people who have no idea about the history of Grand Valley would assume that it means GVSU. I didn't "claim" I attended Grand Valley, I unequivocally said I went there. If you doubt that then that is your perogative. I was a student there.

How you have ascertained that I am not a Sioux fan is beyond me but given what you have already assumed I guess this is just another line on your list.

"I know you attended Michigan. I know your favorite schools are GVSU, Michigan, and St. Johns. In their respective divisions." is just plain laughable and may I clue you in that you are wrong on all accounts.

If you cared about Sioux sports you would not be smacking on this discussion board and disrespecting your school's reputation.

The topic is Kent's article so please stop personally smacking me and stay on topic.

I never said he wasn't a "good guy." I said that Kent's column was written with an NDSU slant, which is my opinion. I'm quite well qualified to render that opinion. :lol:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have quoted your post, it was just the one in front of me as I was pondering the discussion of bias. My opinion was meant to be a profound, significant, and enlightening contribution to the thread at large :blink: , not specifically calling you out as anti-Kent...

*The author of this post warrants it to be 94.7% free of bias toward any particular institution, creed, or dogma

"I know you attended Michigan. I know your favorite schools are GVSU, Michigan, and St. Johns. In their respective divisions."

is just plain laughable and may I clue you in that you are wrong on all accounts.

Here, Ralphputer, is what you wrote on

The thread titled What are your favorite I-A, D-II, and D-III teams?

from Any Given Saturday less than one year ago.

I-A - Michigan (I was a student there)

D-II - Grand Valley (I was a student there)

D-III - St. John's

I guess it is indeed laughable.

Here, Ralphputer, is what you wrote on

The thread titled What are your favorite I-A, D-II, and D-III teams?

I guess it is indeed laughable.

Guys, this discussion is over. The thread is still open because someone might actually want to discuss Kent's article, but take the personal war to email or PM or someplace it isn't polluting my message board. I'm serious.

Guys, this discussion is over. The thread is still open because someone might actually want to discuss Kent's article, but take the personal war to email or PM or someplace it isn't polluting my message board. I'm serious.
Thanks.

I think Kent's article is exposing the rest of I-AA to the idea that UND is seriously looking at D-I and he is encouraging it. If only because he knows personally that the rivalry and team is worth it. We'll see how it all goes down this Spring/Summer.

I think the move to division 1 for the Sioux will be closely related to how well the alumni support it, in terms of money, money, and more money! Not to take anything away from anyone, but this topic is in process of being decided at UND by UND students, alumni, and supporters. I find it hard to believe that someone that never went to UND can say if UND should go division I. I grew up in Grand Forks and attended UND and still reside here in town. I didn't really care other than the rivalry if NDSU went DI, it's their boat to sink or float in. UND still has success and great oppenents in DII without the bison.

In order for UND to leave what is know DII to the great unknown DI is huge! Trying to take the flakes of information that come out of NDSU and other schools hunderds of miles away that UND is supposed to transfer into successful and profitable athletic program in division I is mind bogeling. Comparing UND to UNH and Maine out east is dumb and I would hope that everyone would see that, not only are they closer to their competition, but their fan base or potential base is much larger than in all of North Dakota. NDSU is in a differnt boat completely with most if not all of the atheltic budget coming from football.

I personally feel that UND should leave DII if they change their scholarship limits for football. Only problem going DI is that UND may never compete for a national title and maybe, just maybe win a division title. I don't really know what kind of prestiage that will bring to UND if any. Sioux sports have prestiage and honor,as noted in the article, at their current level and maybe we should keep that for a few more years

Heh. I was right! It only took what... 5 posts for it to become a flame thread?

Kudos to the administrator for putting the kabosh on it.... However, I'm betting that, within the next 5 days, this thread will have the red X on it.

First off, based upon budget projections, I don't think that this us UND's year to declare DI. It is simply not affordable. Want what you want, but reality is reality. Is it worth it to water down a powerhouse hockey program to go full DI in all sports just to try and compete with the Bison? I say stay in DII and know your role. UND has a much bigger chance of falling on their face than NDSU does right now. I just don't see it happening for at least a few years. By then, who will care about the Bison?

Here's an objective view of NDSU-UND smalk talk.

UND: NDSU killed the rivalry. They couldn't handle D2 and made the move up because their sick and tired of losing to us.

NDSU: UND is scared to play us now. They're the ones that killed the rivalry. They're just looking for excuses NOT to lose to us now that we are D1.

UND: There is absolutely no difference in talent between D2 and D1 in terms of football. If you can make the move and be somewhat successful it's so obvious that we can too.

NDSU: You guys have no buisness being in D1 as far as athletics go. You would get demolished against the steady competition.

UND: We beat you didn't we. If we can beat you and you can succeed in D1 there obviously isn't any difference in talent.

etc, etc, etc.

It's so ridiculous on both sides.

UND feels that NDSU did a disservice to the rivalry by going D1. Like NDSU is supposed to schedule every athletic move around UND's plan's. AS far as UND is concerned, NDSU should exist for UND only, not for themselves.

NDSU feels UND is scared and they think they're bigger and better now that they are D1. NDSU feels UND is inferior to them now, which is absolutely ridiculous in it's own right because they couldn't beat UND in football when they were D2, at least the last few years anyways.

Both of you guys need to get over yoursleves.

NDSU may be a D1 school, and UND may be a D2 school, but both schools are great universities and have both advantages, and disadvantages to each.

If UND doesn't feel there is any difference in competition levels between D1 and D2, they are thinking ignorantly.

If NDSU doesn't think UND could make the transition and be an immediate impact like NDSU, especially in terms of football and women's basketball, NDSU is being completely ignorant.

I don't have a clue what UND's financial situation is in term's of making a D1 move, but the recent history of both women's basketball and football lead me to believe UND could make a transitional move next year and have success in both of those sports.

Men's basketball is another story, but then again, who would have thought that NDSU basketball would be as successful as it is.

Even though they are D2, Gene Roebuck and Dale Lennon both have D1 quality programs.

Being objective is this:

1)NDSU in the midst of making the transition to D1 has shown they can not only compete but be very successful in their sports.

2)With that being said, any NDSU fan is completely ignorant if they think UND cannot do the same as well.