SiouxSports.com Forum

I-AA West: University of North Dakota, It's Time to Move Up

ralphputer

76516_SchmidtI-AA-West.jpg

I-AA West: University of North Dakota, It's Time to Move Up

Kent Schmidt, I-AA.org West Columnist

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=76516

Everyone loves a good rivalry. It is one of the hallmarks of college sports. I believe folks in North Dakota are tired of not seeing the Battle for the Nickel Trophy every fall. It has been over two years since the D-II University of North Dakota and now D-I North Dakota State last met on the gridiron and the two most likely will not meet again this year. The time seems right for UND to finally join their rival in the Division I ranks for all sports. ...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

God I hope you guys stay D2. It will only help to keep jokers like this guy from coming over to GVfootball.com to campain on the move to move up. :blink:
"joker"? Kent is the national Western columnist for I-AA.org. Explain yourself. At least he is from North Dakota and knows what he's talking about.

BTW "bigmrg74" I attended Grand Valley and I don't think you are representing my school very well by smacking others on a discussion board.

Kent is the national Western columnist for I-AA.org. Explain yourself. At least he is from North Dakota and knows what he's talking about.

He might know what he's talking about, but his spin is decidedly pro-NDSU.

Nobody here said that except you.

How about

1) refering to him as a joker

2) "but his spin is decidedly pro-NDSU" (you know you just posted that don't you?)

3) most importantly bringing up the fact that he is an NDSU alumni at all.

Nothing personal guys, but the ad hominem attacks on here are pretty ridiculous.

Why don't you counter what Kent has to say instead of saying-NDSU graduate==biased prick?

Attacks? :lol:

I was curious why a DI-AA Columnist would care about the UND-NDSU rivalry of old...I was certain Kent would have ties to UND. I was wrong...he has ties to NDSU.

I thought Kent represented both sides of the story well. :lol:

BTW...10 to 1? I should have taken those odds. :blink:

Please quote the spin in the above article.

I've always felt that Kent's I-AA.org articles are relatively fair.

I'll give him full credit for having his facts straight. That's more than I can say for many who write on this subject.

However, any article that starts with the premise that maintaining the NDSU-UND rivalry is hugely important and then proceeds to blame UND for ending the rivalry is promoting NDSU spin.

If maintaining the rivalry was so vitally important, NDSU should never have unilaterally made the changes that caused it to end.

BisonKent's article was just fine. It wasn't pro-NDSU or anti-UND. There was no new news in it, he was just stating what most everyone already knows. If anything, this article is exposing UND to an audience that normally wouldn't know anything about UND and the Sioux-Bison rivalry, those that are fans of I-AA football and regularily frequent the site that BisonKent works for.

How about

1) refering to him as a joker

2) "but his spin is decidedly pro-NDSU" (you know you just posted that don't you?)

3) most importantly bringing up the fact that he is an NDSU alumni at all.

bigmrg74 is a Grand Valley State fan... :blink:

That's my opinion. Sorry that you have a problem with it. Nobody here called the columnist the name that you did.

If maintaining the rivalry was so vitally important, NDSU should never have unilaterally made the changes that caused it to end.

Not to change the subject (at least not too much), but saying that NDSU did things unilaterally is ridiculous, anyone familiar with the situation knows that. More responsible than UND? sure, solely responsible? no way.

Not to change the subject (at least not too much), but saying that NDSU did things unilaterally is ridiculous, anyone familiar with the situation knows that. More responsible than UND? sure, solely responsible? no way.

NDSU killed the rivalry. End of story.

That's my opinion. Sorry that you have a problem with it. Nobody here called the columnist the name that you did.

I have a problem with that as well. Just state what is so pro-NDSU (or anti-UND). I-AA.org does not have homer columnists. We pride ourselves on being non-partisan. Obviously Kent is from North Dakota so he has personal knowledge on the importance of the football rivalry between the schools. Anyone in I-AA who knows jack about NDSU knows about the UND rivalry. Personally I found his article fair. Just wondering.

As always, GO SIOUX!

BisonKent's article was just fine. It wasn't pro-NDSU or anti-UND. There was no new news in it, he was just stating what most everyone already knows. If anything, this article is exposing UND to an audience that normally wouldn't know anything about UND and the Sioux-Bison rivalry, those that are fans of I-AA football and regularily frequent the site that BisonKent works for.

Ditto. It says to all those IAA fans, "Whos UND? They must be pretty good for someone to write a column about how they want them to move up from D2."

When you sign up (ralphputer) to post an article you lose all credibility, especially when you claim to have attended "GVSU" with the name "ralph" and then write "as always go sioux." Then later claiming "We pride ourselves on being non-partisan." in reference to IAA.org. You are a man of lies my friend.

How about this perspective: If maintaining the UND-NDSU rivalry is of utmost importance, why doesn't Kent write a column proposing that NDSU go back to the DII NCC? If we're going to look at the need to maintain the rivalry from a purely objective perspective, that should be a potential solution, too.

However, I know that someone with NDSU ties would immediately be labeled a heretic for proposing such a thing. Thus, the solution for continuation of the UND-NDSU rivarly is alway framed in terms of what UND must do, not what NDSU could also do if it really, truly cared so awful much about the precious rivalry.

Look, I accept the fact that by moving to DI-AA, NDSU did what it thought was in its best interest. But by doing that, it ended the rivalry. NDSU was unhappy with its DII marriage. It sought a divorce and got it. Fine. That was NDSU's choice, not UND's.

Perhaps UND's DI committee will decide that it's now in the university's best interest to move up to DI-AA. And that's fine, too. As long as UND can make the move in a rational, financially sound manner, I'll likely support it.

But if somone's going to tell me that UND must move to DI-AA because resuming the rivalry is the most important factor, I'm going to call their reasoning bovine scatology because that's what it is. If the rivarly was of any great concern to NDSU, it wouldn't have taken the action it did to end it.

Fact: If NDSU did not change divisions the rivalry with The University Of North Dakota would still be going.

End of Story.

Yes the 4year contract (fb) that rt threw in the garbage constitutes NDSU ending the rivalry. And of course the rest of the sports programs couldn't play too. Why again I forget. :blink:

I'll give him full credit for having his facts straight. That's more than I can say for many who write on this subject.

However, any article that starts with the premise that maintaining the NDSU-UND rivalry is hugely important and then proceeds to blame UND for ending the rivalry is promoting NDSU spin.

Add me to the list who think BisonKent is a one of the good guys. While if you handed me the article anonymously, it would be easy to conclude that it was written by a Bison fan, I thought he went out of his way to try to suppress his biases. I think this assessment of the end of the rivalry was treated quite fairly:

The rivalry stalled after NDSU, based in Fargo, moved up to Division I play after the 2003 season and UND continued at the Division II level with UND backing out of a deal to continue the rivalry due to Division II playoff rules that would hurt UND’s chances to gain a post-season berth.

The official Bison fan party line seems to be to ignore that NDSU's change in classification created the situation where UND would be penalized in the post-season for playing them; kudos to Kent for including that critical fact. Of course, in an article purportedly about UND, he unnecessarily slipped in some stats about how many football titles NDSU won before most students were born, but failed to bring up other interesting stats like head-to-head record or nickel trophy record. :blink: Written by a Bison fan? Obviously. Unfair or false? I don't see it.

When you sign up (ralphputer) to post an article you lose all credibility, especially when you claim to have attended "GVSU" with the name "ralph" and then write "as always go sioux." Then later claiming "We pride ourselves on being non-partisan." in reference to IAA.org. You are a man of lies my friend.

I don't see how Ralph loses all credibility, he is probably one the biggest supporters of IAA in the nation and is pretty unbiased. If you didn't know Ralph runs Anygivensaturday.com(IAA messageboard) and IAA.org.