SiouxSports.com Forum

If the Playoffs started tonite....

Blackheart

Someone told me that a few years ago the NCAA made a rule saying that the first round playoff series don't count in the pairwise. They supposedly did this so teams with good pairwise standing wouldn't get penalized for finishing high in a conference by playing a bad team in the first round. For example, Minnesota's pairwise would stay the exact same by playing Anchorage or Tech and not go down at all. So I'm not sure the first round playoff series can help the Sioux in the pairwise.

But like I said, I've never heard of this rule so I don't know if this would be true. Has anybody else heard of this and can you shed some light please?

The rule is specifically for league leaders whos RPI would drop by playing and beating the bottom teams. It does not apply to teams like UND who will benefit in RPI by playing and beating either SCSU or CC in the first round if they finish 5th or 6th.

The rule would likely help the Gophers or UW who's RPI may actually drop by playing AA in the first round despite sweeping them.

Someone told me that a few years ago the NCAA made a rule saying that the first round playoff series don't count in the pairwise. They supposedly did this so teams with good pairwise standing wouldn't get penalized for finishing high in a conference by playing a bad team in the first round. For example, Minnesota's pairwise would stay the exact same by playing Anchorage or Tech and not go down at all. So I'm not sure the first round playoff series can help the Sioux in the pairwise.

But like I said, I've never heard of this rule so I don't know if this would be true. Has anybody else heard of this and can you shed some light please?

actually i think the rule is that if you are forced to play a team that would lower your rpi, like in a conference tournement, that game can be thrown out so your rpi does not go down. If it makes your rpi go up, however, then there is no rule against it.

The rule is specifically for league leaders whos RPI would drop by playing and beating the bottom teams. It does not apply to teams like UND who will benefit in RPI by playing and beating either SCSU or CC in the first round if they finish 5th or 6th.

The rule would likely help the Gophers or UW who's RPI may actually drop by playing AA in the first round despite sweeping them.

Thanks. That does make more sense.

actually i think the rule is that if you are forced to play a team that would lower your rpi, like in a conference tournement, that game can be thrown out so your rpi does not go down. If it makes your rpi go up, however, then there is no rule against it.

And the answer is...

"If a team defeats a weak opponent, it is possible for its RPI to go down despite the win. Starting in 2003-04, if this happens in a team's conference tournament, that game can be thrown out of the RPI calculation for that team."

- USCHO (Source)

The Sioux need to:

1) Sweep Duluth and Tech - Duluth will help the COP ratings vs. some eastern teams. Sweeping Tech may actually lower the Sioux RPI.

2) Get atleast 1 win vs. Denver - 2 wins would probably gaurentee a spot in the playoffs.

3) One advantage of being seaded 5th or 6th in the WCHA is that you will get the potential to win 2 more games against a TUC to advance to the F5.

4) Proceed to win al 9 playoff games and hoist #8

5) It is really that easy, however none of this will happen if the team can't score.

6) Interestingly enough, there is the potential that Denver can effectively end the Sioux season prematurely for the third consecutive season. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of sick of seeing Paukovich celebrate.

7) Has anyone seen Sparky? What did Dogz do to him? I'm sure it wasn't pretty though... :lol:

You know who I'm getting tired of seeing celebrating? Well I'll tell you...Gauthier! I hate his smug grin. The guy is clutch as clutch can be, but I HATE him more than anyone else on that team (equally, maybe with Pauko and Gwozdecky) :lol:

Milwaukee? Can't get to the frozen 4 without getting into the tournament for God's sake. And from the looks of it, we'll need alot of help. Our PWR could go down even if we sweep teams like Duluth and Tech. Losing to Denver will hurt too. We'll probably need to win 5 of our remaining 6 league games and face a TUC team in the 1st round of the WCHA playoffs and win a game at the Final Five to get in. This weekend will be interesting with CC going to SCSU, Providence @ BC, UNO @ No Mich, Mich St @ Ohio St, Ferris @ ND, and Princeton @ Harvard. If the right teams lose, we can move up by not playing. It sickens me that we need to rely on scenarios to get in. However, once we get in, I do think we have a chance to make it to Milwaukee.

7) Has anyone seen Sparky? What did Dogz do to him? I'm sure it wasn't pretty though... :lol:

Now that he's engaged, I've moved on to your star freshman... maybe that made him sad?

I'm sure he'll have many points in 2 weekends, as he'll know I'm paying attention. Don't worry about him. Even crazy Slovakian offensive powerhouses have slumps.

The key here is to play every game like it's important (because they are). Tech will roll over and die nine times out of ten, but they might surprise you and steal a game. Just ask Wisconsin about that one. Denver's play has been streaky but they're rolling now. 5 straight wins is 5 straight wins, even if it includes a demoralized Wisconsin team and UAA. I hate to say it, but the Bulldogs are probably going to be a very easy series for your team. They must be forced to watch tape of Isaac Reichmuth ala A Clockwork Orange, because they have his number. Not that it's hard to figure him out, he goes down too early, anyone who can lift the puck can score. He does make some terrific grabs, but he puts himself in those situations. However, the Dogs are down, but not out. Look out for Mason Raymond!

Now that he's engaged, I've moved on to your star freshman... maybe that made him sad?

I'm sure he'll have many points in 2 weekends, as he'll know I'm paying attention. Don't worry about him. Even crazy Slovakian offensive powerhouses have slumps.

The key here is to play every game like it's important (because they are). Tech will roll over and die nine times out of ten, but they might surprise you and steal a game. Just ask Wisconsin about that one. Denver's play has been streaky but they're rolling now. 5 straight wins is 5 straight wins, even if it includes a demoralized Wisconsin team and UAA. I hate to say it, but the Bulldogs are probably going to be a very easy series for your team. They must be forced to watch tape of Isaac Reichmuth ala A Clockwork Orange, because they have his number. Not that it's hard to figure him out, he goes down too early, anyone who can lift the puck can score. He does make some terrific grabs, but he puts himself in those situations. However, the Dogs are down, but not out. Look out for Mason Raymond!

Why do you target our players?!? :lol:

Secondly, WTH happened to Isaac? When I saw him his freshman year (I think it was), I thought to myself "my Parise, this guy's something special." And, after his frozen four appearance, he just tanked. I don't understand it.

Why do you target our players?!? ???

Secondly, WTH happened to Isaac? When I saw him his freshman year (I think it was), I thought to myself "my Parise, this guy's something special." And, after his frozen four appearance, he just tanked. I don't understand it.

It's not just your players, believe me. I have 5 "special" Bulldogs players.

This year, the big problem (according to sources close to the team) is he likes drinking too much. Probably was the issue last year, too.

WOW the sioux are now up to 12th in the PWR. Funny how by not playing this weekend is actually looking good for the sioux. :)

If CC sweeps and UW loses, does that improve our PWR more? Or does UW winning or losing have any affect whatsoever on us? I know we can't overtake UW, but I'm not wanting to do that anyways. I want our PWR to improve. Anything that improves it is good.

If CC sweeps and UW loses, does that improve our PWR more? Or does UW winning or losing have any affect whatsoever on us? I know we can't overtake UW, but I'm not wanting to do that anyways. I want our PWR to improve. Anything that improves it is good.

As soon as the UW/OSU game completes UND is going to lose the UND/OSU comparison. The UW games get added to the common opponent part of the comparison and it tips over to OSU whether or not they win tomorrow. You guys have a better shot of getting it back if UW wins.

http://www.uscho.com/pdf/general/2006bracket.pdf

Sioux and Maine back in, SCSU and OSU out, for just a day anyway. The Sioux, now a #4 seed, have to play a 1 in the first round, which moves MN east and brings Miami to the REA. The Sioux may likely be back out after today.

Interesting anyway if the Sioux get in as a 4 seed, MN (a 1) will probably go elsewhere.

The UND coaches and players can't say it.

But I can.

This morning is pretty much a Dream Bracket.

No kidding, I am thinking Frozen four if they give us that one too. Miami, Providence and UNO do not scare me. This thing is really screwy.

No kidding, I am thinking Frozen four if they give us that one too. Miami, Providence and UNO do not scare me. This thing is really screwy.

Until March 19, this stuff is all fiction and fickle. Scoreboard watching can become a bad habit, and can drain one of focus and motivation.

The only sure things are that a number of teams are already in, and that the Sioux will be hosting the West, on the ice, if they take care of business on the ice. Just do it. Here is one group of fans who remain supremely confident that our boys will be doing just that.

Things will be different again tomorrow, but there is a reasonably good chance that Wisco, MN, and CC will be 1 seeds, in which case none will be at the REA if the Sioux make it in as a 4 seed. Would guess, however, with the Sioux needing to win to get in over the next 4 weeks, they will more than likely make it as a 3 seed (or miss the tourney entirely), in which case MN will be back in the REA. That would make for a bit better fired up crowd (with bothe MN and ND in the REA).

Losses to non TUCs MDU and MTU are unacceptable, while the Denver series could be loser out, if either team gets swept. Hard as it seems to many of us, it will have to be Sioux for MN next weekend vs. Denver. On second thought, it's not that hard for me.

With remaining schedules it would seem the Sioux and SCSU are on a collision course for the first round of the WCHA tourney. Could well be a loser out series also. I'd welcome that matchup, no matter which team gets home ice.

I'll also be pulling for CC to continue winning and secure a 1 seed, along with MN and Wisco.